Start by marking “Straight Talking” as Want to Read:
Straight Talking

Straight Talking

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  19,431 Ratings  ·  358 Reviews
This novel could be about your best friend or your girlfriend. But it might be about you. Are you Tasha - thirty, single, and still searching? Are you any of her three friends - Andy, hooked on passion; Mel, stuck in a steady relationship with a bastard, Emma, endlessly waiting for HIM to propose? Do you know an Andrew - suave, goodlooking and head over heels in love. . wi ...more
Published August 26th 1997 by Arrow (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Straight Talking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Talking

Janel
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a long, long letter from one of your shallow and promiscuous girlfriends. The narrative includes the reader by asking your opinion once in a while, and addressing the story to you which makes the reading feel like a two way street in a way which is kind of fun and intimate. It's sort of like a sex in the city British style except the characters are less ambitious, less mature and less diversified in their personalities. The main focus of the story is a young 30 year old Engl ...more
Syndi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another chick lit. not as great as sophie kinselle ( sorry i might mistype the name).

straight talking is about finding love. and love is not neccessary ur fantasy man. sometimes the person who loves ubthe best is not as best looking as brad pitt.

but again i read better.
Erin
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This was one of the books I started in the last few weeks. I couldn't commit to any others and wasn't too into this one either. One day I got stuck without anything else to read and ended up just deciding to finish the damn book.

It was no Jemima J, lets put it at that. I hate when you find an author you really like and then find out that you started with their best book. Oh bummer.

I will say that this book has one of the hottest sex scenes ever ever ever. I was flustered at work when I was readi
Tori S
Jul 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm going to come right out and say that I actually loathed this book. I don't usually get to say this due to not continuing on once I know a book isn't for me. But this was a quick read and I really wanted our lead, Tash, to redeem herself beyond the shallow, vapid character she was in the beginning. But she doesn't. She is looks-obsessed, not only for herself and the gents she is thinking of dating, but she also comments on her friends; in particular one who is dowdy in appearance as an extens ...more
Julie
Jul 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite Jane Green book to date. I just felt continuously annoyed with the Tasha. What I found most annoying was that the book was written as if she's sitting beside you telling you the story. That drives me insane! "Hang on, the doorbell's ringing." Really, is that necessary? Should I stop reading while you answer the door? Isn't that the purpose of saying hang on? "You may as well join us," (umm, ok thanks for the permission to keep reading) "sit down, kick your shoes off," ( ...more
Shannon Berry
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say not to judge a book by its cover, however, the content of this book is true to its title: STRAIGHT TALKING. This book is perfect for ANY WOMAN, especially a single woman, who is going through the motions of relationships. Whether good or bad motions, Straight Talking covers every spectrum of emotions of what women deal with when dealing with men.

The main character, Annastasia aka: Tasha, is so relatable and real, it's like you've known her all your life. Her struggles and situations, a
Jodi
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's about relationships and how the main character realizes that she falls in love with her best friend when it is too late and she comes close to ruining their relationship. The ending wasn't as detailed as I wanted it to be and was left open for your imagination. Overall, I really enjoyed the book.
Min
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How I love Jane Green. Excellent Brit chick-lit, and close second behind Marian Keyes.

As chick lit is wont to be, this has a predictable ending... until the predictable ending gets a little unpredictable.

I love that the ending isn't... well, typical of a chick lit book.
Heather
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Be prepared to be surprised/shocked in the first 50 pages with just how 'straight' Jane Green is with her readers. A bit into it...this way of talking to the the reader will grow on you and then you'll quite enjoy the fact that you really get to be inside this girls head...finding out just what she's thinking and most of the time you'll probably relate. It's just all of those things you think about but never really put into words or don't have the guts to say aloud...

My favorite
Allyson
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick, fun read. It broke all the rules. I hate first person, loved the narrator. I hate when the narrator speaks directly to the reader ("Hey reader, what do you think?") but it worked in this book. It's not a masterpiece, by any means, but if you're looking for a simple, fun book, this is a good choice. Jane Green is a hit or miss with me. When she tries to be too serious, or pull too hard at the heart, it doesn't work (The Beach House). But when she lets her quirky characters ...more
Becky
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Characters are very shallow, no relationships develop, you just don't care about any of them. Story of Tasha, she just needs to quit whining and get on with it. It's clear she's stuck and wants a relationship, but in reading the novel you just get so tired of the shallowness. I thought it was going to be a story of woman friendship, but other than an occasional lunch, the friends don't appear at all.
Carol
Apr 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is purely beach-reading. Not a lot of thought, not a lot of surprises in the plot, but a switch-off, relaxing and possibly even mindless sort of girlie book. I have a weakness for these types of books and after reading some legit types of literature, I turn to them for a break.
Jennesa
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to force myself to finish this book. I wanted to throw in the towel very early, but I wanted to finish. I was just not a fan of the main character Tasha. She just drove me crazy!
Caprice
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sharon Metcalf
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-2015
Again, I couldn't seem to put this book down. 468 pages done and dusted in the space of an afternoon/evening. Her writing style was different this time around, the main character speaking to the reader as if they were having a conversation. This was a book about four friends in their early 30's but who are all in different types of relationships. The main character Tasha (Anastasia) has a series of relationships and flings but can never seem to find the one. She has a true friendship with Adam, ...more
Shannon
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
because its Jane Green and she writes about everything her characters are thinking and over thinking I really enjoyed it. I was not crazy about the main character but would have kept her as my friend just would have been more like Mel is all. could not believe how many comments i got about the cover, seriously now its not that oooo, but then learned they were questioning the title, like straight as opposed to gay, what are you reading? and im like straight like to the point duh! they say it as i ...more
Love Fool
The bestselling first novel that launched Jane Green, one of the brightest stars in contemporary women’s fiction, Straight Talking sets the record straight regarding the real world of dating, and follows the adventures of Tash and her friends as they search for fulfillment and the right kind of love. Funny, flirty, and ultimately tender, Straight Talking gets at the heart of modern romance.

I really wanted to like this more. It sounds like my kind of book, ladies dating and having a hard time fin
Raquel
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I normally jude a book by its cover, and yes i do mean an actal book cover. When i read the reviews to this book I thought to myself, "How will I ever like it?" Well I LOVED it!! If you are in your mid to late 20's and single, this is the book for you. I could not stop laughing! the characters are so on point and the story lines eminate reality. jane Green did not hold anything back. This book was one of my favorite books. So lesson is, don't go by the cover of the book, or by what people say. g ...more
Jacqueline
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i didnt like it,i didnt like the way that it was written,i found the talking straight to the reader format embarassing to be honest, and i really disliked tash. the only reason i finished it was out of pure boredom,i found tash so whiny and annoying,and extremely self-centred - i know it wouldnt be realistic if the lead of every book was perfect but i found it impossible to find one thing i liked about her!
Maria (Ri)
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really glad that I finally decided to read this one. Oh, Jane Green! I just wanted to shake Tasha so many times in the story, but at the same time I was really pulling for her. This made me think a lot about my relationship with my husband. Passion, comfortability, friendship... Great read all around.
Elly Prawito
i don’t like this book!
even though it is the story about 2 best friends fall in love to each other but it is boring!
Do I adore Jane Green? yes, i do. but, this book is not interesting at all!

one thing you should know about this book. Its about sex. all of it is about sex, she write it down vulgarly and it disgust me. and when i read it on my work place, i was really disgust in myself even i close he book down immediately

no more review because i was disgust with this book.
Brittany
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Jane Green. Still working on reading her whole collection but this book irritated me. At one point I started to feel like her books are all the same but they're not. I'm not even 30 but I'm in a committed stable relationship and maybe it's because I couldn't relate to the main character but I just kept feeling as if Tasha was dumb and naive. I like her as an author but this is a book I'll never read again.
Els
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to read these books for a little light reading and was pleasently surprised by this book. While still being a chick-lit, there were a couple of really interesting parts about how people work and think. I look forward to reading more books by Jane Green.
Jocelyn Gam
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everything about this was predictable and cliched. And I wanted a classic chick lit! This was not what I expected. The characters had no depth. Everything tied up way to easily. It was dull. It was not insightful and I hated the way she spoke to the reader all the time.
She's written way better!
Kenzie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book but was definitely more focused on the physical side of relationships rather than the sweetness and love. A little too physical for me.
Agroots
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun and light read, everything by Jane Green is perfect for autumn mood to cheer you up :)
Leeann
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was entertaining but predictable. Girl is friends with the "nice" boy and doesn't realize she's in love with him until the ending.
Crystal
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Meg Shave
Strictly a light read, nothing deeper.
  • Fishbowl
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • Being Committed
  • American Girls about Town
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Perfect Partners: Mr Maybe & Jemima J
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink)
  • Spin Cycle
  • Catching Alice
  • Thirtynothing
  • Alphabet Weekends
  • The Ex Files
  • For Better, for Worse
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • Hit Reply
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • The Moonlight Palace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Nanreath Hall
    $11.74 $1.99
“That's how it is with relationships, it's a part of life, and all the great love songs and poems and films have been written by people who were standing where I was that morning as Simon shut the door. Doesn't make it any easier though. ” 68 likes
“Sometimes I think it’s me. I think I must be doing something wrong, giving out subliminal messages so they can smell the desperation, read the neon lights on my forehead . . . “KEEP AWAY FROM THIS WOMAN, SHE IS LOOKING FOR COMMITMENT,” but most of the time I think it’s them. Bastards. All of them.” 7 likes