Start by marking “Plague (Gone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Plague (Gone, #4)

Plague

(Gone #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  47,299 ratings  ·  2,017 reviews
It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.

But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in
Published April 5th 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Plague, please sign up.
Blair I'd have to go with team Sam. I like him a lot better than Caine so far.…moreI'd have to go with team Sam. I like him a lot better than Caine so far. (less)
Sarina I guess I always thought it was Astrid and Edilio. I thought Drake would look more intimidating and less scared.
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,155 books — 7,135 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,327 books — 11,015 voters

More lists with this book...

·  47,299 ratings  ·  2,017 reviews

Start your review of Plague (Gone, #4)
Emily May

This book pretty much completely overruled everything negative I may have said about Lies. The last book seemed like the series was running out of juice and I found it impossible to believe that Grant could sustain the story throughout the 3 more books he had planned. But alas, all is forgiven and Plague was pretty much awesome, apart from some of the same old annoying factors that got on my nerves before in Gone and Hunger. Books 1 and 2 built up this overall plot about the radiation effects
Gemma
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
POST READING UPDATE:

Why do I do this to myself? Even as I was checking it out from the library, I was berating myself for my lack of common sense. Checking out a book I am fully aware will terrify me...

And it did. Not as much as the others, because I read it quickly and in the daylight, but I have the feeling I'm going to be checking the far corners of my room for glowing green lights and being freaked out by the lightbulb on my smoke detector...

Honestly... were this any other book, it would
Alli Chin
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
OMFG. this was amazing. i loved it. great character development, action-packed plot....just wow.
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
For the most part, Plague was just as entertaining and action-packed as its predecessors.
To be honest, though, I'm starting to have an issue with the determined length of this series.
You see, I kind of wish this series would only be 5 books, instead of, like, 6. Knowing that there are (at least) two more books to go before any kind of resolution hits is rather exhausting.
I loved Gone and thought Hunger was very well-done, but starting with Lies, the series started to take on an almost soap-opera
Mitchel Broussard
My favorite ongoing series of the past couple of years continues with Plague, and proves that the first three books were no fluke. This is just as action-packed, jaw-dropping and lightning-paced as the first books. And a TON bloodier.

So it's been eight months since every adult disappeared and the impenetrable dome descended on the sleepy town of Perdido Beach. Throughout fires, horrid blood-baths, mutating monsters, and freak evolutions in the kids, the town has survived. The very unstable
Rachel
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Eh....
I read the first book of the series and loved it. Second, a tad less. Third, I started to hate the characters and find some mistakes in the writing. And now I'm just reading it to see how it ends. I mean, it's a good book, it just has a lot of stuff going on.
Things that bother me:
1) The amount of characters. He just keeps throwing them at you! There's so many that when they reappear in the story line I have to text my friend so she can remind me who they are!
2) In this book, Brianna was
Emma  Hoke
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Plague, out of all the four Gone novels, was definitely the most graphic and harsh, but very realistic. The thing I like about Michael Grant is that he doesn't gloss over stuff, but dives right into it-- the characters, the plot, the drama, was all perfectly detailed and well- written. I like how the author goes between different kids in all his books, because it lets the readers get a good feel of what everyone is going through. The kids were all very relateable, to me, with all their strengths ...more
maha
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/5
I'm just glad that I'm getting closer and closer to finishing this series.
Overall, it is interesting enough for me to continue, but not so much that I couldn't wait to see the ending due to genuine excitement. I rushed through the last 30 pages because I just wanted to finish this and move on to other books. I guess this series so far is okay.
smoreads
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My, how I love the Gone novels. If you haven't given these books a try yet, they come with my highest & most sincere recommendation. They are fast-paced & high-intensity, but at the same time, incredibly thoughtful books.

However, out of all the four novels, be warned: Plague wins the gross-out award, for sure. Let's just say that the "plague" is not your average virus (and tbh, it isn't even the least of the kids' worries). The must-look-away-CAN'T-LOOK-AWAY horror of Plague achieves
Taylor
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book yesterday...it only took me two days to read all 492 pages. And believe me when I say, this was one of the best uses of paper and ink ever!

Warning: there are a TON of spoilers!

I've been anxious for this book to come out since the minute I finished "Lies," which, at the time, was my favorite of the Gone series. Sorry, "Lies," but you have been replaced by "Plague" as my new Gone series fave.

With non-stop action, crazy plot twists, confusing relationships, freakish bugs,
Hannah
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Three words to describe this book... No, scratch that. Three words to describe this entire series: violent, melodramatic, and drawn-out.

This book was pretty much exactly like the other books. Things go from bad to worse, of course. More minor people die, the main protagonists continue to live, and new issues continue to present themselves. No new ground is made in breaking out of the FAYZ. But this entire plot follows along the same exact freakin' lines as the other books. Yeah, the hurdles are
Brittany Grace
Nov 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
The first book in this series was amazing and one of the best books I've read. Sadly, this series seems to be one in which the quality of the book declines with each sequel. This book was entirely too graphic with the descriptions of the plague and the bugs. I did not appreciate that; in fact, it made me sick to my stomach at some points and I had to put the book down for fear of losing my lunch. I realize that Michael Grant is trying to be realistic with the types of problems these characters ...more
Wise Cat
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA dystopian/sci-fi/supernatural fans
Recommended to Wise Cat by: Izzy
It's hard for me to think of what to say even when I find a book amazing.

The suspense continues to build in this one, and I enjoyed the diversity among the kids. Not that having all white/straight characters is a deal breaker, but it's refreshing to have kids from different cultural and religious backgrounds.

There's gay characters too.

One thing I have to warn folks about: BUGS!!! If you have a phobia like I do about bugs or insects, and you think those 3 inch long roaches are big enough....Read
Mel
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this for about 2 years, and I enjoyed it, but THANK GOD THAT'S OVER.

This was by far the worst of the books in this series so far. I couldn't bring myself to ever read it so I resorted to listening to it. I really do enjoy this series but I just wasn't feeling this book at all and it was not my favourite.

I also wasn't in the mood for this book but I really needed to finish this. Glad it's over. I think I'll wait a bit before continuing the series because I'm not in the mood for
Adam
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
AGH!!!!! I NEED THIS BOOK! THE COVER LOOKS AMAZING!
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Just when you think there are no more sickening, stomach-twisting, nauseating ways to kill someone/ die, Michael Grant steps up his game #HowToBuildACareer.
Paul
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who: have read the previous installments.
4 1/2 stars

The general consensus seems to be that Plague is a superior sequel to Lies, which many fans see as the weakest installment in Michael Grant's series thus far. I read both with this in mind, under the assumption that my opinion would end up being similar, if not identical.

And, wouldn't you know it? I ended up loving the latter more than the former. Go figure.

To be honest, I feel that this series may have peaked with Lies. While Plague is an excellent follow-up, it feels more like a
Mary
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stella Chen
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's been over two years since I last read this book, and re-reading it reignited my love for the series. Most kids would agree that they grew up with Harry Potter, but I guess I am a late bloomer because I didn't start really growing up until I picked up the GONE series.

The kids in the FAYZ have been beaten, starved, and lied to, all they need now is a plague to help them cough their lungs out. Perfect, don't you think? Every time I read a book in this series, I'm still amazed at the things
Micah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: micah-s-faves
THIS IS THE BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BOOK OF THE SERIES SO FAR!

After a mediocre and disappointing Lies(ugh), Plague redeems the series and brought what I loved about Gone and Hunger and combined them into this great installment.

Pros:

Caina---You naughty couple you. And look what happens to Diana at the end :) This should make Fear an interesting installment.

Human Crew---They were great in this book but my issue is that given all the supernatural elements of the series, Human Crew provided a
Vicky N.
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
As Stella would say: "Oh my Gaiaphage!"

I knew Michael Grant was EVIL, but never has his evilness reached such levels. So many questions, no answers & a WHOLE year ahead until it's sequel. *hyperventilates*

Plague as it's predecessor is full of fast-pacing, killing action. The FAYZ has never before been in such more trouble. Everything is backwards, Sam & Astrid, Diana & Caine.

Although this book was awesome, I can't help but feel it sort of precedes something BIGGER. And I know that if
Anne
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it

About halfway through the book I started to wonder if this was going to end up being the equivalent of that tv show Lost.
At first, I really liked Lost. I mean, it had that cool mystery/sci-fi sort of vibe that kept me coming back for more each week. My love affair lasted a couple of seasons, and then faded away.
Why?
Eh. The plot started to drone on and on, nothing made much sense, and it seemed like the producers were just going to milk that cow until it went dry. Poor cow.
Anyway,
Anabel  kamenske
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ishy
Oct 04, 2010 marked it as to-read
Just to clarify (because I WISH Michael Grant would!!!)

The guy on the back is NOT Zil and is NOT Drake. Drake is blond with grey eyes as observed by Orsay in HUNGER. Zil is not INDIAN!
SANJIT!!! is on the back of LIES. Look to pg 98-99 of LIES. It says, and I quote, "Sanjit Brattle-Chance was fourteen years old. He was tall, thin, slightly stooped, with black hair down to his shoulders, laughing black eyes, and skin the color of caramel."
He is INDIAN but grew up in Bangkok, Thailand.
*sigh*
Zara
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I HOPE SAM AND ASTRID DONT HAVE A KID!!!! IT WILL TOTALLY RECK THIS BOOK I WILL CRY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE PLZZZ DONT LET ASTRID AND SAM HAVE SEX PLZZZZZZZ I HATE ASTRID SHE IS USING SAM SO HER AND HER LITTLE BROTHER L.P ARE PROTECTED!!! SAM CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I HOPE ITS CAINE AND DIANA OR SOME NEW KIDS.... MAYBE IT COULD BE LANA AND QUINN... IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF LANA AND SAM GOT TOGETHER... HAHAHA PLZ DO NOT HAVE A KID SAM AND ASTRID IT WILL TOTALLY SUCK I WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE AND ...more
Tiernan
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series! Loved it. SO MUCH.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Someone really should make a TV series out of this. This was by far the creepiest one and the ending was a bit abrupt but it really ended the only way it could and have the series continue. Definitely in for the rest of them.
Alicia
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
**POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES**

My god I love the Gone Series. After devouring and loving the previous three books - Gone, Hunger and Lies - I was more than eager to get my hands on Plague, and I finally spotted it at my library! You’d think the six-part series would steadily be getting worse by now, but that is most definitely not the case – if anything it gets better and even more gripping as the kids become more desperate to survive…and ill; because illness is striking
Mike
Rating: 4.5/5

Wow. I'm finding it hard to walk away from that book with any feelings other than 'impressed'. Also, 'scared as fuck'. I'm not sure if this is the best book of the series so far, because nothing can match the sheer skill of the plotting and writing in Hunger, but this was certainly the most extreme. Everything about the series - the darkness, the nightmare fuel, the mysteries, the complexity in the plotting - was amped up a notch. Grant's books have always been a pretty unique
Rachel
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as an ARC from Goodreads.

Let me start with saying that I like this series, but I'm not an obsessed fan. I think they're okay and I want to know what's happening, so that might create a little bias on this review. I also get a strange chuckle out of it. Children dying shouldn't be funny... but I laugh. Messed up? Probably.

All the characters are back (at least the ones who haven't died) and the drama is even more dramatic. A plague (duh, read the title) has come and is killing kids
If you were in the FAYZ, what would your power be and how many bars would it have? 51 159 Jul 11, 2018 06:53AM
Cover Characters?!?!?!?!?!?! 93 386 Dec 23, 2017 11:10AM
Bookreads :): Plague (Book 4) 1 5 Dec 29, 2015 08:00PM
Class of 2015: Plague 2 7 Nov 26, 2014 01:51PM

• The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • The Hunted (The Enemy #6)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • The Fallen (The Enemy #5)
  • The End (The Enemy, #7)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #4)
Co-author with Katherine Applegate of Ocean City, Making Out, Summer, Animorphs, Everworld, Remnants, Eve and Adam.

Pseudonymous coauthor with KA of Christy (the TV spin-off books), Sweet Valley Twins, Girl Talk and various Disney spin-offs.

Pseudonymous author of Barf-O-Rama.

Author of Gone, BZRK, The Magnificent 12, Messenger of Fear, Front Lines, Monster and A Sudden Death in Cyprus.

AKA

Gone (6 books)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
“Okay, look. I get it. You're one of those people who thinks they have to help screwed-up people. Or maybe you're attracted to dangerous, unbalanced people. But listen up: I'm not Edward and you're not Bella" - Lana” 214 likes
“The gaiaphage. That's the other word they use. 'Gaia,' as in world. 'Phage,' as in a worm or something that eats something up. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I don't think something that calls itself a 'world eater' is a good thing.” 144 likes