Start by marking “Plague (Gone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Plague (Gone, #4)

Plague

(Gone #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  52,764 ratings  ·  2,197 reviews
It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.

But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in
Published April 5th 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Plague, please sign up.
Heidi i feel like i would be on sams team but just hang out with quinn!
Sarina I guess I always thought it was Astrid and Edilio. I thought Drake would look more intimidating and less scared.
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,115 books — 7,100 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,618 books — 11,375 voters

More lists with this book...

·  52,764 ratings  ·  2,197 reviews

Start your review of Plague (Gone, #4)
Baba
Aug 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gone, book 4: In the mysteriously (to most) cut-off and domed part of San Francisco known as the FAYZ, what abounds for the kids is hunger, savagery, decay and death, but also order, money, commerce and a council. The latest problem for the residents of Perdido Beach is a slowly dwindling water supply that sees Sam, Breeze and Jack set off on an adventure of hopeful discovery; In the sole prison place sits what is left of Drake and Brittney, will the kids regret not killing them? As ever the Dar ...more
Emily May

This book pretty much completely overruled everything negative I may have said about Lies. The last book seemed like the series was running out of juice and I found it impossible to believe that Grant could sustain the story throughout the 3 more books he had planned. But alas, all is forgiven and Plague was pretty much awesome, apart from some of the same old annoying factors that got on my nerves before in Gone and Hunger. Books 1 and 2 built up this overall plot about the radiation effect
Alli Chin
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
OMFG. this was amazing. i loved it. great character development, action-packed plot....just wow.
Mitchel Broussard
My favorite ongoing series of the past couple of years continues with Plague, and proves that the first three books were no fluke. This is just as action-packed, jaw-dropping and lightning-paced as the first books. And a TON bloodier.

So it's been eight months since every adult disappeared and the impenetrable dome descended on the sleepy town of Perdido Beach. Throughout fires, horrid blood-baths, mutating monsters, and freak evolutions in the kids, the town has survived. The very unstable soci
Amelia, free market Puritan
For the most part, Plague was just as entertaining and action-packed as its predecessors.
To be honest, though, I'm starting to have an issue with the determined length of this series.
You see, I kind of wish this series would only be 5 books, instead of, like, 6. Knowing that there are (at least) two more books to go before any kind of resolution hits is rather exhausting.
I loved Gone and thought Hunger was very well-done, but starting with Lies, the series started to take on an almost soap-opera
Alayne Emmett
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another brilliant book from Michael Grant in the “Gone” series. This book was more involved and the characters were getting more exciting. There are big bugs and lots of weirdness but, it’s a fantastic read and I read it very quickly.
Rachel
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Eh....
I read the first book of the series and loved it. Second, a tad less. Third, I started to hate the characters and find some mistakes in the writing. And now I'm just reading it to see how it ends. I mean, it's a good book, it just has a lot of stuff going on.
Things that bother me:
1) The amount of characters. He just keeps throwing them at you! There's so many that when they reappear in the story line I have to text my friend so she can remind me who they are!
2) In this book, Brianna was s
maha
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/5
I'm just glad that I'm getting closer and closer to finishing this series.
Overall, it is interesting enough for me to continue, but not so much that I couldn't wait to see the ending due to genuine excitement. I rushed through the last 30 pages because I just wanted to finish this and move on to other books. I guess this series so far is okay.
Hannah
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Three words to describe this book... No, scratch that. Three words to describe this entire series: violent, melodramatic, and drawn-out.

This book was pretty much exactly like the other books. Things go from bad to worse, of course. More minor people die, the main protagonists continue to live, and new issues continue to present themselves. No new ground is made in breaking out of the FAYZ. But this entire plot follows along the same exact freakin' lines as the other books. Yeah, the hurdles are
Emma  Hoke
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Plague, out of all the four Gone novels, was definitely the most graphic and harsh, but very realistic. The thing I like about Michael Grant is that he doesn't gloss over stuff, but dives right into it-- the characters, the plot, the drama, was all perfectly detailed and well- written. I like how the author goes between different kids in all his books, because it lets the readers get a good feel of what everyone is going through. The kids were all very relateable, to me, with all their strengths ...more
smoreads
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My, how I love the Gone novels. If you haven't given these books a try yet, they come with my highest & most sincere recommendation. They are fast-paced & high-intensity, but at the same time, incredibly thoughtful books.

However, out of all the four novels, be warned: Plague wins the gross-out award, for sure. Let's just say that the "plague" is not your average virus (and tbh, it isn't even the least of the kids' worries). The must-look-away-CAN'T-LOOK-AWAY horror of Plague achieves something
Taylor
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book yesterday...it only took me two days to read all 492 pages. And believe me when I say, this was one of the best uses of paper and ink ever!

Warning: there are a TON of spoilers!

I've been anxious for this book to come out since the minute I finished "Lies," which, at the time, was my favorite of the Gone series. Sorry, "Lies," but you have been replaced by "Plague" as my new Gone series fave.

With non-stop action, crazy plot twists, confusing relationships, freakish bugs,
Brittany Grace
Nov 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
The first book in this series was amazing and one of the best books I've read. Sadly, this series seems to be one in which the quality of the book declines with each sequel. This book was entirely too graphic with the descriptions of the plague and the bugs. I did not appreciate that; in fact, it made me sick to my stomach at some points and I had to put the book down for fear of losing my lunch. I realize that Michael Grant is trying to be realistic with the types of problems these characters w ...more
Wise Cat
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA dystopian/sci-fi/supernatural fans
Recommended to Wise Cat by: Izzy
It's hard for me to think of what to say even when I find a book amazing.

The suspense continues to build in this one, and I enjoyed the diversity among the kids. Not that having all white/straight characters is a deal breaker, but it's refreshing to have kids from different cultural and religious backgrounds.

There's gay characters too.

One thing I have to warn folks about: BUGS!!! If you have a phobia like I do about bugs or insects, and you think those 3 inch long roaches are big enough....Read
Mary
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mel
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this for about 2 years, and I enjoyed it, but THANK GOD THAT'S OVER.

This was by far the worst of the books in this series so far. I couldn't bring myself to ever read it so I resorted to listening to it. I really do enjoy this series but I just wasn't feeling this book at all and it was not my favourite.

I also wasn't in the mood for this book but I really needed to finish this. Glad it's over. I think I'll wait a bit before continuing the series because I'm not in the mood for
Ayesha {Heir of Bookdom}
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
Just when you think there are no more sickening, stomach-twisting, nauseating ways to kill someone/ die, Michael Grant steps up his game #HowToBuildACareer.
Paul
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who: have read the previous installments.
4 1/2 stars

The general consensus seems to be that Plague is a superior sequel to Lies, which many fans see as the weakest installment in Michael Grant's series thus far. I read both with this in mind, under the assumption that my opinion would end up being similar, if not identical.

And, wouldn't you know it? I ended up loving the latter more than the former. Go figure.

To be honest, I feel that this series may have peaked with Lies. While Plague is an excellent follow-up, it feels more like a
Anne
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it

About halfway through the book I started to wonder if this was going to end up being the equivalent of that tv show Lost.
At first, I really liked Lost. I mean, it had that cool mystery/sci-fi sort of vibe that kept me coming back for more each week. My love affair lasted a couple of seasons, and then faded away.
Why?
Eh. The plot started to drone on and on, nothing made much sense, and it seemed like the producers were just going to milk that cow until it went dry. Poor cow.
Anyway, tha
Adam
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
AGH!!!!! I NEED THIS BOOK! THE COVER LOOKS AMAZING!
Stella
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's been over two years since I last read this book, and re-reading it reignited my love for the series. Most kids would agree that they grew up with Harry Potter, but I guess I am a late bloomer because I didn't start really growing up until I picked up the GONE series.

The kids in the FAYZ have been beaten, starved, and lied to, all they need now is a plague to help them cough their lungs out. Perfect, don't you think? Every time I read a book in this series, I'm still amazed at the things Mic
Micah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: micah-s-faves
THIS IS THE BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BOOK OF THE SERIES SO FAR!

After a mediocre and disappointing Lies(ugh), Plague redeems the series and brought what I loved about Gone and Hunger and combined them into this great installment.

Pros:

Caina---You naughty couple you. And look what happens to Diana at the end :) This should make Fear an interesting installment.

Human Crew---They were great in this book but my issue is that given all the supernatural elements of the series, Human Crew provided a n
Vicky N.
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
As Stella would say: "Oh my Gaiaphage!"

I knew Michael Grant was EVIL, but never has his evilness reached such levels. So many questions, no answers & a WHOLE year ahead until it's sequel. *hyperventilates*

Plague as it's predecessor is full of fast-pacing, killing action. The FAYZ has never before been in such more trouble. Everything is backwards, Sam & Astrid, Diana & Caine.

Although this book was awesome, I can't help but feel it sort of precedes something BIGGER. And I know that if you've read
Anabel  kamenske
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ishy
Oct 04, 2010 marked it as to-read
Just to clarify (because I WISH Michael Grant would!!!)

The guy on the back is NOT Zil and is NOT Drake. Drake is blond with grey eyes as observed by Orsay in HUNGER. Zil is not INDIAN!
SANJIT!!! is on the back of LIES. Look to pg 98-99 of LIES. It says, and I quote, "Sanjit Brattle-Chance was fourteen years old. He was tall, thin, slightly stooped, with black hair down to his shoulders, laughing black eyes, and skin the color of caramel."
He is INDIAN but grew up in Bangkok, Thailand.
*sigh* Someti
~Bellegirl91~
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay, this I forgot how much better it was than the third book Lies and a little more "terrifying" with a particular character that was captured at the end and to continue their story. The twists and turns were great, it was hard to put down, and the ending was a great way to end this book and lead for the next book! I would totally recommend this series all over again so far, but heads up, it's not for everyone but if you like this kind of story and can handle some violence so basically as I de ...more
Zara
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I HOPE SAM AND ASTRID DONT HAVE A KID!!!! IT WILL TOTALLY RECK THIS BOOK I WILL CRY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE PLZZZ DONT LET ASTRID AND SAM HAVE SEX PLZZZZZZZ I HATE ASTRID SHE IS USING SAM SO HER AND HER LITTLE BROTHER L.P ARE PROTECTED!!! SAM CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I HOPE ITS CAINE AND DIANA OR SOME NEW KIDS.... MAYBE IT COULD BE LANA AND QUINN... IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF LANA AND SAM GOT TOGETHER... HAHAHA PLZ DO NOT HAVE A KID SAM AND ASTRID IT WILL TOTALLY SUCK I WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE AND M ...more
Shelby Seymour
Jul 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great book with a very interesting and original plot. The characters in this series was amazing, particularly Diana, the breezes and jack’s character developments were amazing.

As well the friendship seen between dekka and Sam is very heart warming. The final twist in the book was VERY unexpected but amazing for the series!
Tiernan
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series! Loved it. SO MUCH.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Someone really should make a TV series out of this. This was by far the creepiest one and the ending was a bit abrupt but it really ended the only way it could and have the series continue. Definitely in for the rest of them.
Cover Characters?!?!?!?!?!?! 93 389 Sep 04, 2020 11:55AM
Sam kissing Taylor anyone mad? 14 91 May 14, 2020 06:07PM
If you were in the FAYZ, what would your power be and how many bars would it have? 46 159 Jul 11, 2018 06:53AM
Bookreads :): Plague (Book 4) 1 5 Dec 29, 2015 08:00PM

• The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • The Hunted (The Enemy #6)
  • The Fallen (The Enemy #5)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • The End (The Enemy, #7)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.4)
  • The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.5)
See top shelves…
Co-author with Katherine Applegate of Ocean City, Making Out, Summer, Animorphs, Everworld, Remnants, Eve and Adam.

Pseudonymous coauthor with KA of Christy (the TV spin-off books), Sweet Valley Twins, Girl Talk and various Disney spin-offs.

Pseudonymous author of Barf-O-Rama.

Author of Gone, BZRK, The Magnificent 12, Messenger of Fear, Front Lines, Monster and A Sudden Death in Cyprus.

AKA Michae