Start by marking “The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2)

The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens #1-2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  986 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Little Fuzzy:
The chartered Zarathustra Company had it all their way. Their charter was for a Class III uninhabited planet, which Zarathustra was, and it meant they owned the planet lock stock and barrel. They exploited it, developed it and reaped the huge profits from it without interference from the Colonial Government. Then Jack Holloway, a sunstone prospector, appeared
Published 1980 by Ace Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Fuzzy Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fuzzy Papers

David
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fuzzy hominids, sunstone prospectors
This is classic golden age feel-good sci-fi. The good guys win, the bad guys all get killed or put away, and nothing really bad happens to the cute little fuzzies. Yes, it's a little dated and it shows its age, but it's still good reading for those who like the old SF classics.

Fuzzy Papers combines the first two books in H. Beam Piper's classic "Fuzzy" series: Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens. Reading them in a single volume is appropriate, since the second book picks up right where the first left
Thomas
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2012
The main reason I picked up this book was because John Scalzi wrote a book set in this same universe, called Fuzzy Nation. I’ve only read one Scalzi book, Old Man’s War, but it was good enough that I wanted to read more of his stuff. So when I read that he was working on Fuzzy Nation, I thought it was a good idea to catch up on the original material. And here we are.

The book is a collection of two novels set in the Fuzzy universe — Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens– and the books are very different
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
3.5. One of the first books I read when I was being introduced to SF beyond Star Trek. Very evocative of the time it was written, but interesting. Even though it is a little old fashioned there are at least two female scientists that I can think of, and possibly more.
Isabel (kittiwake)
Cuteness overload!

Little Fuzzy

As soon as he put on the light, something inside the shower stall said, "Yeeeek!" in a startled voice.
He turned quickly to see two wide eyes staring up at him out of a ball of golden fur. Whatever it was, it had a round head and big ears and a vaguely humanoid face with a little snub nose. It was sitting on its haunches, and in that position it was about a foot high.

The planet Zarathustra is classified as having no native sentient inhabitants, and the the company th
D.w.
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a dual book combining Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens, and though I have read it several times, my memory, specifically is a little fuzzy. Charming, heart-warming are keywords that I can attribute to these tales. It deals with our human expansion to the stars and our encountering those little green martians we have always expected. Accept they are not what we have thought.

That have not always been there in their UFO's spying on us, or are part of a xenocidal race that wants our extinction
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
This is an omnibus edition of the first two Fuzzy books that feature among the most memorable aliens in science fiction. Mind you, they're so cute as to induce sugar shock. Creatures "two feet tall, with wide-eyed... face... covered with soft golden fur," playful, sane, sweet and emotionally and intellectually about ten years old. The first book dealt with some sophisticated concepts. The "Fuzzies" are on a planet colonized by humans and largely owned and ruled by a corporation under a charter o ...more
Chris
Apr 19, 2014 added it
H. Beam Piper is one of my favourites and this and Fuzzy Sapiens (usually in omnibus now) are a fantastic read. Now we are confronted with the problem of what to do when our technology becomes sentient but when Piper was writing that was a distant dream. He still had the luxury of a fiction universe where humanity would arrive on a planet and discover/uplift and learn from an aboriginal species. In this way he was both ahead of his time and rather old fashioned. I like the Mad-Men idea that ever ...more
Madeline
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My mother read this book when I was five. I would carry the book around and touch all the pages in the book looking for the "fuzzy papers." And I often wondered what would happen to these little furry people on the cover. As my mother read each of the books and I would see the "Fuzzies" in cover art and in a couple of magazines I made up my own story about them.
As an Army family we moved a lot, but I made sure to put my copy of this book in my carry on bag. I was afraid to read the book after I
Mike Ehlers
Finally got around to reading this (of course I was influenced by finally picking up Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation). Been meaning to read it (or at least Little Fuzzy) as part of my effort to read more Hugo-nominated sci fi.

I was very impressed with these books. I am surprised Piper is not more well known as an author. The characters were adequate, if you can get over the constant need to go to cocktail hour. But Piper really shines on the plot, especially in the first book. Science fiction first-contac
RhC
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of the Humanities
Shelves: sci-fi, serial
Two individual four-star books (actually a 3.5 and a 4.5) that follow so closely chronologically that the compilation deserves five stars because of flow.

Written in the early Sixties, the books hold up well as the focus is on the story not hard SciFi. As such, the Humanities themes are common for the Atom Bomb and Communist Witch-hunt era; although, not nearly as ham-fisted as most.

Anyway … a quick and easy read despite the deep social and philosophical undertones. Very enjoyable without a sense
Colleen
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good understanding of ecology and sentience for a book written in 1964. Not quite as funny and insightful as 'Fuzzy Nation', the John Scalzi knock off of the story. First 'book' tells of these creature's discovery and the second 'book' deals with political consequences of identifying them as sentient. Side story of Fuzzy population decline and search for the cause of low birthrate is an excellent dive into chemistry and ecosystem studies. I'm not sure why this book isn't categorized as young adu ...more
Ian
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
For some reason, long ago, I had this double book, plus individual copies of the two novels it contains. To explain this apparent duplication, all I can think of is that I bought this double, because, at the time, the second novel in the series was unavailable as a single book.

Anyway, the "Fuzzies", were great characters, told well by Piper.
Charles
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have the hardback book club edition of this. It contains "Little Fuzzy," and "The Other Human Race." I didn't think it was quite as good as many others had told me it was. It was cutesy in places, perhaps, but it really is a pretty interesting story and I definitely didn't find it hard reading.
Anton
I admit I was reluctant to pick this one up for a long time -- really, a book about tiny furry aliens? Decided to read it after John Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation came out. Surprisingly enjoyable. I liked Little Fuzzy more than I liked Fuzzy Sapiens, so I would say 4 stars for the former, 3 stars for the latter.
Helen
Nov 24, 2012 added it
some idiot let some other idiot rewrite this. Avoid the rewrite. Repeat- AVOID THE REWRITE! Also, the original cannot be derivitive. Piper did amazing work, and much modern Sci-fi reflects this.
hurray for grumpy original thinkers!
Sam Ellsworth
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My father read me this book when I was probably 6 and it has always stayed with me. In the past 20 years I have probably read it and the sequels a dozen times. It is one of my all time favorite books and I encourage anyone and everyone to read it.
elissa
I might have rated this 5 stars when I read it, but I'm not positive. I know that I really liked it.
Stephanie
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yes, I really do love those Fuzzies!
Ladyhratt
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
all time favorite
Herb
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these two books. I talk a lot about characters and characterization, but in Sci-Fi the setting is as much a character as the rest of the book.
Patricia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-beam-piper
A favorite of mine. Easy to read and just a good tale all the way around. A most enjoyable read I would recommend to anyone who likes science fiction and fantasy.
Adrienne
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book. I am looking forward to John Scalzi's retelling of this story.
Diana
Jul 10, 2011 added it
Fun, fun, fun!
Derek
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
See my reviews of the two novels contained here: LITTLE FUZZY and FUZZY SAPIENS.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
a story of a alien race meeting a human man, how he finds their intellegence and acceptance appealing and how he protects them from other men
Todd Ellis
Aug 07, 2013
  • Fuzzy Bones
  • Demu Trilogy
  • Golden Dream: A Fuzzy Odyssey
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • Dragon's Egg / Starquake
  • Berserkers: The Beginning (Berserkers, #1 & #5)
  • Paradise (Galactic Comedy #1)
  • Empire of Bones
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Serpent's Reach
  • The Star Beast
  • Hospital Station (Sector General, #1)
  • Summer of Love: A Time Travel
  • Janissaries (Janissaries, #1)
  • The Anything Box
  • Retief! (Retief)
  • The Demons at Rainbow Bridge (Quintara Marathon,#1)
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
Henry Beam Piper was an American science fiction author. He wrote many short stories and several novels. He is best known for his extensive Terro-Human Future History series of stories and a shorter series of "Paratime" alternate history tales.
More about H. Beam Piper...

Fuzzy Sapiens (8 books)
  • Little Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1)
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • Fuzzies and Other People (Fuzzy Sapiens, #3)
  • Fuzzy Ergo Sum