Start by marking “The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism” as Want to Read:
The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism

The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
“Every age has its teachers, who keep the eternal truths alive for all of us,” writes Marianne Williamson, the best-selling author of The Age of Miracles. “In the case of Andrew Harvey, the light he sheds is like a meteor burst across the inner sky.”

In The Hope, Andrew Harvey offers not only a guide to discovering your divine purpose but also the blueprint for a better wor
Published September 15th 2009 by Hay House (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope

Wade
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Despite the cover (which looks like it's about Left Behind / Christian Armageddon), this guide leads you through Andrew Harvey's vision for a world transformed by spirituality in action - internally and externally. He raises alarms about the state of the world - ecologically, economically, emotionally, culturally, and all - and then critiques the way that spirituality often neglects outward/global action and the way activist movements often neglect the spiritual dimensions of changing the world. ...more
Virginia Bryant
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to activists
The thesis of this book is that humanity on this planet is undergoing a "dark night of the soul" before either total annihilation or transformation, which is congruent with the mood of this time.

Consider, "“When you are brave enough to allow yourself to experience the DEATH (all aspects of the collective dark night of the soul) simultaneously, the only sane, human, and useful action is heartbreak. This, of course, is the reaction we all fear the most, because we are all afraid that actually waki
Linda Abrams
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a practical source of inspiration and guidance for those who are seeking to integrate activism and mysticism. Andrew Harvey's passionate engagement in personal and social transformation inform the illuminating practices and perspectives he offers here. This is a great resource for those of us who wish to cultivate the gifts of our humanity and divinity in service to the world.
Glistening
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Inspiring, grounded spirituality. Andrew issues a clarion call to action, to an embodied spirituality that serves the benefit of all beings and for a coming together to support one another as living beings in this time of civilisational transformation.
Connie Howell
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got a lot of inspiration from The Hope. Andrew Harvey writes passionately about how we can all make a difference if we are willing to look at the ways we act and feel. By connecting with the Divine Feminine we can help to bring about the change needed to birth a new way of being before it is too late.
Michael Graber
In The Hope, the prolific and profound Andrew Harvey makes his most inspiring and prophetic call-to-action for humanity to redeem itself, the planet, and each other. The Hope brings together a totality of Harvey's vast learning, experience, and mystical intuition. Any one who either longs to be an activist or a contemplative or to function in one of those modes must read this manifesto, which gives new voice to the timeless wisdom that truth must co-exist with love. Harvey goes further, implying ...more
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2009 marked it as to-read
South Austin Spiritual Book Group chose this book for its 2010 reading list. It got the third highest number of votes, so we're reading it in March.

In 2005 at Red Corral Ranch near Boerne TX, Andrew Harvey held a gathering focused on The Sacred Feminine. Andrew had just returned from a life-changing sojourn to India and was full-out engaging. Andrew is so dynamic and wild in person that his energy is contagious and hard to contain. I cannot think of a better evangelist for mother earth and the
Joyce
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A clear, well written guide to living and acting in the world with hope.

Simple steps and ideas for how to begin immediately appear in the first chapter.

At a time when it seems the whole world is in chaos, there is hope for now and the future.

A good guide for anyone who wants to make the world a better place and/or who wants to help move our course from distraction to wholehearted living.

Kaitlin
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This book offers much-needed insights to communities loosely associated with the New Age, Human Potential Movement, and the like. Thank you, Andrew, for striving to reach these communities so members can put their insights to use in the world.
Mary
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Harvey is a very spiritual man. The book seems to be aimed at seekers who are feeling a nudge to become activists. I was at a retreat at The Grail in Cornwall-on-Hudson with women like this. The book didn't seem to have much effect on them.
Ellen
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is indeed hopeful, as the title implies. While heavy on references to famous historical spiritual figures, particularly quotes from them, Harvey manages to combine the esoteric and the practical in helpful ways. At times I shivered while I read. A slow read as it requires thought.
April
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically transformative book! It took me a while to read simply because I wanted to absorb it all. Thank you Andrew Harvey for writing.
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
some content was OK but found the author smug and the writing tiresome
Diane
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Very good, Andrew Harvey is a wordsmith and an old soul..
Anni
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in without Going Crazy
  • How Can I Help? Stories and Reflection on Service
  • The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative Groups
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
  • Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us about Spreading Social Change
  • Spiritual Madness: The Necessity of Meeting God in Darkness
  • The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart
  • Shamanism as a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • Heaven and Earth: Making the Psychic Connection
  • Daughter of Fire: A Diary of a Spiritual Training with a Sufi Master
  • The Search for a Nonviolent Future: A Promise of Peace for Ourselves, Our Families, and Our World
  • The Intentional Christian Community Handbook: For Idealists, Hypocrites, and Wannabe Disciples of Jesus
  • Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Getting Green Done: Hard Truths from the Front Lines of the Sustainability Revolution
Andrew Harvey is an author, religious scholar and teacher of mystic traditions, known primarily for his popular nonfiction books on spiritual or mystical themes, beginning with his 1983 A Journey in Ladakh.

From Wikipeadia
More about Andrew Harvey...
“A spirituality that is only private and self-absorbed, one devoid of an authentic political and social consciousness, does little to halt the suicidal juggernaut of history. On the other hand, an activism that is not purified by profound spiritual and psychological self-awareness and rooted in divine truth, wisdom, and compassion will only perpetuate the problem it is trying to solve, however righteous its intentions. When, however, the deepest and most grounded spiritual vision is married to a practical and pragmatic drive to transform all existing political, economic and social institutions, a holy force - the power of wisdom and love in action - is born. This force I define as Sacred Activism.” 20 likes