Start by marking “Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association(r)” as Want to Read:
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association(r)

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association(r)

With millions of copies sold, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for writers, editors, students, educators, and professionals in psychology, sociology, business, economics, nursing, social work, and justice administration, and other disciplines in which effective communication with words and data is fundamental.

In

Paperback, 6th Edition, 272 pages
Published July 15th 2009 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published 1952)

Elaine Not exactly the answer you're seeking, but -- you can always create a custom "exclusive" shelf for yourself for reference materials. When you mark a b…moreNot exactly the answer you're seeking, but -- you can always create a custom "exclusive" shelf for yourself for reference materials. When you mark a bookshelf as exclusive, it becomes an alternative to read/want to read/currently reading. For instance, I have "on hold" and "quit early dnf" shelves for myself.(less)

Start your review of Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association(r)
Bibliomantic
... featuring perhaps the most absurd rules of all time for citing references.
Jim Schools
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: idt
This book certainly must rank as one of the most "ironic" publications in recent history. The whole point of this book is to provide clear instructions on how to format a scholarly paper that is produced for a college-level class. Good intentions were in place to update and reorganize the material in the previous edition, but apparently they forgot rule number one: be sure to proofread and double-check your work! The result is an infamously error-ridden guide on how not to commit errors. Nonethe ...more
Jenn
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Firstly, I have to say that this reference was required reading for my Masters degree. I don't know WHAT possessed the university to select this horrible publication manual. Secondly, unless you're forced to use it, I would never recommend this publication to another scholar. I felt like I was walking into the inner circles of the Inferno with Dante Alighieri.

The work is poorly laid out and confusing. Just when I thought I understood an APA format for a cited web site journal, I still managed t
Tortla
I keep noticing inconsistencies/errors in my MLIS professors' reference lists, which I think gives me the authority to declare myself Finished With This Book.

I really really prefer MLA and Chicago and AP. Like, why you gotta be so different in-text and in your reference list, APA formatting? Why you gotta require title pages and abstracts instead of just letting people present their information immediately? What's the deal with not capitalizing article titles like they're titles?

I mean, all styl
Will
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is the standard issue for describing APA style publishing. All the information found in this book is found on the web site apastyle.org which of course is the most comprehensive. This book is best for those about to pursue a graduate degree or a research-intensive undergraduate degree. It's best to read through this before beginning to write, because there are sections about phrasing and punctuation that you would want to know before beginning. The main shortcoming of this book is that ...more
Arda
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, why do academics and researchers insist on taking the passion out of writing?

My struggle with quantitative research was an affirmation that there's a creative nature in me that may respect the rules but will always be frustrated by the exclusive confinement of analysis.

Thanks to this book, I now know that:
1) If I am to ever become a published scholar, my name will be cited as "Aghazarian, A." I declare that as denouncement of identity, dammit.
2) I respect the rules of writing, but
Sue
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any student
Recommended to Sue by: University
Shelves: school, apa, dissertation
I have looked through this book more times than I can count. It is not exactly something I could sit reading cover to cover however it is an excellent resource book for APA6. I actually waited until all the bugs were edited out of the previous versions before buying my copy as I did not wish to get all the updates and I did not mind paying the extra amount for it as it has been well worth the amount of documentation. I have gotten more information on how to ensure papers are correctly cited usin ...more
Robert
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was required to purchase this for my thesis during my first graduate work. What a bore! Needlessly complicated. It wasn't even useful as I had Internet sources at the time and it had no style guide for them. The Chicago Manual is so much better than APA.
Courtney
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have if you do a lot of writing in APA format. This book answers every question one might have about writing in APA. It also give numerous examples. Great book!
Readergeek
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean... it's the APA citation guide, so you get what you'd expect. But it's really laid out to give a lot of information in a really insightful and meaningful way that aids in retention. Also, it's really easy to navigate and find things when you need it for citation purposes for writing papers and such. Not bad for resource materials.
Bailey Marissa
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, read-in-2k17
I hate APA. With a burning passion. Why did I choose a degree with all writings in APA? *Sigh*

It's full of information but it can be confusing for the first half of the book because it goes so fast and doesn't explain things very well.
Shery
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed. I cried. I haven't enjoyed a publication style manual as much since MLA 3rd. APA 6th was a page turner compared to MLA 8th.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
SCHOOL!!
The type on the sample pages is difficult to read.
Joseph Valoren
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is what it says on the tin. Well organized, thorough, dry.
James
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers and students
A standard reference used far more widely than the title implies, this is a handy guide to all the nitpicking format questions that come up in a lot of academic and professional writing situations. A tool every writer should have on the shelf.
Lyddie
Jan 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
It doesn't tell you how to site Web pages, and the index wouldn't let me find most things I needed. The in-text citation information wasn't helpful, either. Is it possible to give something negative stars? MLA is so much better.
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Aug 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Hate, hate, hate this book and everything about it. The last edition was so much easier. This one - it is hard to find anything - I found it easier just to look things up on line than in here. Very choppy and not set up well.
Linda
This is an excellent tool for anyone using APA format for writing or editing social science research papers. It's clear, concise, and so far has answered any questions I have had well writing in this format for many years. This is the 5th edition copyright 2002.
Lisa
Not a book you can really like or dislike. If you need to know APA it is a required read, if you don't ... it is the sure cure for insomnia :)
Randina
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know about proper APA format. You know you want to read it!!
Ronda  Tutt
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Every college student should have this book on their shelves
Melanie Olson
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
An absolute MUST HAVE for anyone who writes: students, practitioners, etc. I use mine just about every single day! Well organized, and information is easy to find.
Patti McDermott
very old, but the only copy I have available at the moment.
Lea
Sep 24, 2012 is currently reading it
Great for writing a paper. Also great for curing insomnia.
Fredrick Danysh
The manual discusses style and content of manuscripts for publication. Bias, punctuation, abbreviations, and spelling are covered as is proper citation of sources.
Essie-Marie W.
What can I say, it's a citation manual. Good stuff.
Patrick
Aug 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
One of the most hard to use reference books I've come across in a while.
Brandt
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

Let’s get real, can we do that? How many people that reviewed this book actually read it? Further, how many of the reviewers have actually done research proposals and submissions to journals that utilize the APA style?

Like many of the reviewers, I had an immediate aversion towards learning a new style of formatting. I could have complained; I could have shouted contemptuous words of disapproval. Instead, I picked up the book and read it. Moreover, I practiced doing a variety of writing that enc

SaraKat
This was a required textbook for several of my graduate level courses and I used it here and there. I actually read through the book and in the first half of the book, I found lots of interesting tidbits and general grammar and punctuation use that will be relevant to everyone. The book was probably not necessary for the courses since the website for APA and many other websites have all the information I needed. The book would be an essential need for anyone who is trying to write for academic j ...more
Jay
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to read for a class. There are inconsistencies with citations, the style in which it was set up is very disorienting, and, perhaps the main bit I did not like, they did not consult with disability group re: preferred language prior to updating the manual in 2017. There is research readily available suggesting that "autistic" is the preferred term by autistic people and that person first language is socially stigmatizing. They did not follow their own advice to use preferred language.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • Understanding by Design
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • The Ego and the Id
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, and Distress Tolerance
  • SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS for Windows
  • Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis
  • Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
  • Introduction to Research in Education
  • The Psychology of Intelligence
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Understanding Psychology as a Science: An Introduction to Scientific and Statistical Inference

News & Interviews