Start by marking “The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate” as Want to Read:
The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate

The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate

An acclaimed, paradigm-shifting evolutionary biologist shows how the biblical story of Genesis uncannily reflects recent scientific discoveries-and finds room for divine inspiration within.

Consider this: Genesis recounts the story of creation, step-by-step: "Let there be light"; "Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land app
Published October 8th 2009 by Dutton (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Genesis Enigma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genesis Enigma

Matthew
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
"For the first time ever, a respected evolutionary biologist shows how the biblical story of Genesis reflects scientific truths that were only recently discovered – and finds room for divine inspiration at the center of this enigma."

~From the inside flap

Andrew Parker is a well-known and respected scientist. His knowledge of evolution and the Big Bang is extremely impressive, and in his new book, The Genesis Enigma, Parker attempts to show how a metaphorical reading of Genesis 1 actually has nume
Jo
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a wonderful sci-fi book. Very entertaining; I laughed the whole way through it. Unfortunately for the author, I do not believe that was his intent.
All sarcasm aside, this book was complete drivel. This book does not attempt to use science to prove creation, but rather the Bible to prove evolution.
This is heresy.
This is blasphemy.
This is an abomination.
A passage came to my mind while reading this book:
Romans 1:20-25
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are c
Michael
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
The first and foremost thing to establish about Andrew Parker’s new book on the Genesis creation story is what it is not. It is not a repudiation of evolution theory. And perhaps just as importantly, it is not any sort of proof of the existence of God. As I’ve written before in other places, I do not think that will or can ever be proved, and I think that is purposefully so. Parker is not setting about trying to prove or repudiate anything so drastic. Rather, he asks us to reconsider, in a scien ...more
John Martindale
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, audiobook
This is an interesting book, for on one hand Parker is saying the Genesis account is correct, but then on the other, he makes it clear that God could not have anything to do with any of it, for (Duh, its obvious) the universe created itself. So in other words, somehow or other the writer of Genesis got the order right for the evolution of the universe and all living things, but was dead wrong to say God created anything. To hear a Darwinist confess that the bible is even in part correct is somet ...more
Lorileinart
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
So this is not a horrible book, but it is misleading.
Loaded with empiricism--but from a philosophical perspective, not from scientific methodology...which sort of negates its purpose.
Parker wrote the book as if he were just thinking out loud; this, too, detracted from the "Science Vibe".
He does confront the obvious question that most of us who have dual faith in science & creationism ask: "If the 1st law of thermodynamics states (among other things) that energy cannot be created or destroye
Marcus Goncalves
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author provides compelling scientific proofs of the creation chronology described in Genesis as true, and how events that took the scientific community several thousand years to identify and piece together, had already been described back in that book.
Al Bità
Phil Whittall
The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible is scientifically accurate from 2009 is an intriguing book and is a bold endeavour but unlikely to find many advocates. If you're a six-day young earth creationist then 'there's nothing to see here'. Dr Parker is a staunch advocate of evolution and research leader at the Natural History Museum in London.

What's more interesting is that Dr Parker isn't a Christian and from evidence in the book is moving from atheist to deist or theist position. However his attempt
PJ
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth  Holter
I picked this book up because I'd picked the Bible as my long classic read for the year. Knowing nothing of the Bible, but lots about science, I was surprised that the first scenes in Genesis, read as metaphor and not as fact, parallel the story that science tells in our time about the origins of the universe and the evolution of life. I was interested in a book that expanded this theme and filled in some of the gaps in my own knowledge about evolution and about the actual writing of the Bible. ...more
Jon Allen
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I was really on the fence about this book. I generally agree with the author's thesis, i.e. a figurative interpretation of Genesis can agree with the modern scientific consensus, and the science that the author relates is accurate and understandable.

But the author fails to adequately address the concerns of textual criticism. Why did he use the specific edition that he chose? Did that edition accurately reflect the original text of Genesis? When discussing an issue where the exact wording can af
Michael O'Donnell
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A good light read on the history of life on the planet.

An interesting section on the historical writers of the first 5 books of the bible.

The logic linking the genesis order to the real order was contrived.

That some parts of the bible are historically accurate and therefore the whole thing has credence means my wifes bodice rippers with some historical facts should be read as gospel.

Still in all a decent read.
Tracey
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, christian
I was not able to read this book thoroughly. I will probably pick it up again. Of what I did read, I am quite impressed. I always believed The Bible and the scientific theories of the the creation of the Earth coincided. This book points it out so clearly.

It is full of details and histories that I was just not able to focus on at this point, and I love history.

Any historian or scientist, would enjoy this book.
William
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Had some very original thinking in it. I don't think he had an axe to grind in the science vs religion debate. He did gloss over the obstacle of DNA origination in the creation debate. His attempts to harmonise science and religion were at least honest and not contrived. Very worth reading and a good effort.
Cassie Sands
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The author lays a scientific groundwork for evolution appropriate for a reader with little scientific background on the subject. I think his final conclusion is a bit shaky considering his metaphorical interpretation of rather vague statements in Genesis, but is an Interesting read if you would like more context on evolution as well as biblical times.
Irene
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Read based on recommendation from friend in a church discussion group. Some interesting stuff here, but a bit more textbooky than I was in the mood for, and I didn't quite finish it before I had to return it to the library.

Anella
Dec 15, 2009 added it
I'm mainly reading this book because I believe whole-heartedly that the bible is complete fiction and I want to see if there's any way this scientist can convince me otherwise. Good luck!!
Blitsterman
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An interesting view of seeing how the book of Genesis is accurate in telling how the world was created.
Candy
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. So interesting. I really enjoyed it.
Mark Trenier
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The main part of the book is excellent. The epilogue is hard to follow. It is an interesting idea that perhaps need more study.
Ashley
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book. Whether I agreed or did not with what Parker was arguing, his observations and thoughts were still eye opening and made me think.
Zaun