Start by marking “Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica” as Want to Read:
Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica

Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica

The third edition of Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica is designed to give practitioners the information they need to practice with greater understanding and confidence. It provides a wealth of new information- more than twice the content of the previous edition- and practical insight into more than 530 of the most commonly used herbs in the Chinese pharmacopoeia. ...more
Hardcover, Third Edition, 1311 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Eastland Press (first published 1990)

Start your review of Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
Eabranon
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
i'd give it 5 stars because it deserves it but i am still too disgruntled about all the details i have to memorize
Eric Grey
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chinesemedicine
I read this book every day. I know different folks have different opinions on the best Materia medica - but of all those I have used, this is my favorite HANDS DOWN. It has all of the relevant information, including discussion of preparation methods, traditional indications, classical text sources... I love it.
KL Dilley
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Please dear friends wish me luck on my herb comps next week!
This is an amazing resource, I just wish there was any possible way to read this in bed. I could seriously injure myself with this tome if I did that!
Shelly
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbs
Great Reference for Chinese Herbs
Justin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbal
This book is not for everyone. It is not for me. I think that someone who knows more about TCM than I do will be able to do something with herbal actions that talk about wind, dampness and fire. I do think that this will be a wonderful resource for those who understand it and that is why I rate it highly.

The pros as I can see them:
Nice english herb name to chinese herb name lookup
Best efficacy studies
Best safety/toxicity information (actually quotes studies)
Gyan Tyagi
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in Chinese herbal medicine, and know something about TCM, don't hesitate. Just buy this book!
Cintain 昆遊龍
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medicine-zhongyi
Excellent foundation resource. Not only is it exhaustive and well-organized, but the breadth of information and its clarity make it the must-go reference in Chinese Herbology in the West. I love this book, and carry it around with me everywhere I go that I might need to look up an herb. Cannot praise it highly enough. Having studied with notes from teachers and other books, this is always the one I go to.
Nicole
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An amazing resource. Dan Bensky and all the authors involved in writing, researching, and compiling this book did great job in providing comprehensive entries for a huge section of the herbs used in the the Chinese herbal tradition.
Courtney
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
holy crap. (ok, fine, I didn't read *all* of it...)
Diolosa
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
It is a good book for beginners, the dosages for the formulas are wrong and should never be used ..
A bit heavy , should be print in a pocket size.
Sally
Mar 12, 2008 marked it as to-read
recommended by an amazon reviewer instead of The Web Has No Weaver, which is required for the herbalist course at heart of herbs.com
Vern Mcfalls
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tcm
AS reference books go, this was pretty good. It difficult to find a copy of this that is affordable.
David Parker
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tcm, medicine
I used this book for 2 years in my studies and will continue to use for the rest of my life.
David Parker
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of three books that are the bibles of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Macpherson
Dec 26, 2008 is currently reading it
I don't know if I'll ever not be currently reading this book!
John
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All things chinese herbal medicine
Jessie
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chock full of information. A wonderful reference book!
Nathan