Start by marking “The Time of My Life” as Want to Read:
The Time of My Life

The Time of My Life

In a career spanning more than thirty years, Patrick Swayze has made a name for himself on the stage, the screen, and television. Known for his versatility, passion and fearlessness, he's become one of our most beloved actors.

But in February 2008, Patrick announced he had been diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer. Always a fighter, he refused to let the disease bring
Published September 29th 2009 by Atria Books (first published May 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of My Life, please sign up.

Buggy
Opening Line: “In late December 2007, life was looking pretty good.”

This was one of the better biographies I’ve read, and I kick myself now for putting it off for so long. However like a lot of people my age (40ish) who grew up watching and swooning over Patrick Swayze I felt I had to give myself time to get over his death before I was ready to read about his life. In my day he was just IT, that’s right “The sexiest man alive” (according to 1991’s People magazine) Actually I still have trouble b
Miss Kim
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this biography. I fell for Mr. Swayze as a teen when he popped on my TV screen for a week as Orry Maine in North and South. I’d seen his work prior, in movies like The Outsiders, and Red Dawn, but it wasn’t until the TV mini-series did he catch this young girl’s heart.

For those that may be put off reading this because they fear it will be too sad, do not fear. This is well written book that I feel really shows how much he really lived his life to the fullest. There is an intro w
Dawn
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies, 2012
I had no idea that Patrick Swayze had done so much in his life. I always loved him because "Dirty Dancing" is one of my favorite movies and I love "Ghost" and "Point Break" as well. Of course, I knew that he was an actor and a dancer, but I had no idea that he was so talented in so many other areas. I will discuss some of these further, under the spoiler section, so you can skip them if you would like.

One thing that really resonated with me was his obvious love for his wife. In this era of marri
K.D. Absolutely
I normally read books early in the morning. I think it has something to do with my age. Old people, this includes me, need lesser hours of sleep than younger people. However, there are exceptions. My wife and I are of the same age but she still sleeps a lot. When I read early in the morning, she is normally enjoying her blissful sleep.

I finished this book the other morning but I did not have the energy to write this review. Not that it was a bad book and I did not have anything to say about it.
Becky R.
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved Patrick Swayze and his work, loved his passion for life, and loved his absolute dedication to the people closest to him. To me, he was a wonderful, surprising man of conviction in an industry that often lack such qualities.

Having said that, and knowing some of his background already, I was so touched to learn more about his life. In his autobiography, The Time of My Life, Patrick Swayze reveals many of what he felt were vulnerable aspect of his character, which included his nee
Kay
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My opinion:
I like everyone else fell head over heel's in love with Patrick Swayze and I was so excited when finding this book in a charity shop.....
Then I started reading it and it made me very angry, he made me very angry!
I don't know if I read it wrong but to me it sounded like he forced his wife to marry him. He was a very insecure man with a very pushy mother who made his insecurities worse.
I did finish the book and the ending was pretty sad how he was always talking about fighting the canc
Faith Spinks
Dirty Dancing was the reason I was a Patrick Swayze fan - like so many others of my age. I just loved that film and Patrick Swayze was definitely a big part of that for me. I knew of, and had seen some of the other things he had been in but had never really realised the extent to which he really lived his life.

The book is well written and gives you a glimpse of the real person behind the fame. A man who has his struggles, a man who does everything pushing himself as hard as he can, and a man who
Cindy
I've been meaning to read this book for years but just never got around to it. I grew up with Dirty Dancing, Red Dawn, The Outsiders, and Roadhouse so I was definitely a Patrick Swayze fan. I was upset by his cancer diagnosis and eventual death, but it wasn't until a few years ago when a friend of mine was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that I realized just what that diagnosis had meant for him.

What I liked most about this book is that is focuses on his early life and his career up to his diag
Amy Bailey
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always thought Swayze was a wonderful actor and someone who unjustly was viewed as a hunky fluff actor. He wasn't given near enough roles throughout his life that truly allowed him to shine for the artist that he was. Don't get me wrong, I still love "Dirty Dancing," and I think "Ghost" was one of the best films ever made. The latter film was one of the few in which he truly got to exhibit his talent for drama. This book was very disheartening. When he wrote it with the help of his wife, Li ...more
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

Patrick Swayze was a jack of all trades. I don't think there was anything this guy could not do.
He was an actor, a singer and a dancer just to name only three.
He had hobbies such as riding horses, enjoying the great outdoors, and flying his small airplane.

He cheated death numerous times in his life because he was so fearless.
Sadly in 2009, Patrick died at the age of 57 from pancreatic cancer.

If Patrick had lived, he would have went on to do more great and wonderful things. Dance on, Patrick
Diane
Jan 25, 2017 added it
It's always sad to read a book written by someone who has long since passed away. Patrick Swayze ended this memoir shortly before his passing in 2009. He was still optimistic and ready to fight his pancreatic cancer with every ounce he had left. Deep down he knew the end was near which is why he wanted to tell his story. I can't say I really knew much about Swayze despite having watched his films for the last 34 years. After reading this memoir I'm not sure how much more I really do know. I wish ...more
Xanthi
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t say I’m a big fan of this actor but recently my boyfriend’s mother lent me the DVD of Dirty Dancing and my curiosity was piqued so she lent me this book. (Yes she is a big fan.)
Not all that well written but interesting enough. I have to admit that watching the film and reading this book were experiences tinged with sadness because of his passing at a relative young age. I wondered how someone so fit and active ended up so sick. Well, the clues came later in the book - almost as a passing
Margaret
I was truly amazed by Patrick Swayze life and talent. I listened to the audiobook read by Patrick, he brought so much to his own story with his wonderful deep voice. I made the mistake by googling him and saw the last photos of him, heart wrenching to say the least. My father died of cancer and I have seen how gaunt a person gets at the very end but I wasn't prepared to see Patrick Swayze as a walking sick old man. A beautiful book, sad but beautiful.
Kristy Thomson
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a die hard Dirty Dancing fan I was itching to read this book and for me it did not disappoint.

I absolutely loved reading a story about an everyday person who worked hard, fell in love and succeeded in his achievements without sacrificing his relationships or values. Yes, he did have some low points (which is only human) but he learnt from them and didn't let them define him.

Such a beautiful love story and a great insight into Patrick Swayze life.
Dreamer
One for the fans I feel. Don't like to diss the guy when he's dead and all, but if you drink to excess and smoke like a chimney, you're gonna get cancer. Other than that, he had a beautiful wife and soul-mate, lots of money and a great bod. So his dad died and he didn't make it as a ballet dancer but what the heck!!!!
Jason M Waltz
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: bios
an ok book, a fine story of the life of a man who lived in my lifetime and entertained me, even gave me food for thought ("Is it true?"). he led a good life of action and accomplishment with someone who loved him long and deeply. it was sad to learn how much he doubted himself and even her love, but everyone has hidden struggles. not so much motivational as simply informative, a fine read.
Lisa
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1984 I watched a movie called Red Dawn starring Patrick Swayze and I developed an instant crush. Three years later came Dirty Dancing and my crush turned to full on LUST! Patrick Swayze was the sexiest man alive as far as I was concerned. I've lost count as to how many times I've seen that movie, not to mention how many times I wished I could be Jennifer Grey for five minutes! When I heard about his pancreatic cancer diagnosis, I was heartbroken. Having lost a friend to this brutal form of ca ...more
Stephanie Burkhart
Authors Patrick Swayze and his wife, Lisa Niemi share their thoughts, life, and love in a bittersweet and poignant memoir with "The Time of my Life." Written before he died, Swayze shares the many insights he learned living life and the hardest battle he ever fought - pancreatic cancer.

The novel opens with a prologue. One section is written by Swayze, the other by Niemi. Immediately, the love Swayze has for his wife shines through. She is the force behind him, his guiding star, the wind beneath
Roset Troy
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this book is hard to listen to since I just finished Worth Fighting For and knew the pain and fatigue that Patrick Swayze was feeling when he recorded the beginning of the book. It made it bittersweet to know he was in pain but it seemed that reliving his childhood and early years with his wife revived his spirit which helped his pain diminish. I loved hearing his talk about his early films. It was like reliving my early teenage years again! I had forgotten how vital a force he ...more
Mary Bronson
Oh my word I was bawling by the end of this book. Patrick Swayze has been one of my favorite actors since I saw The Outsiders, Dirty Dancing, and Ghost. When I heard he had cancer it broke my heart. He was such a talented actor. I remember after hearing the news of his passing I watch those movies. Starting with The Outsiders. Reading about his life and how full it was with all its ups and downs broke my heart. I never really knew how passionate he was about dance especially ballet. And his marr ...more
Sandra
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure we've all seen some of Patrick's movies, but I had no idea he'd started out as a gymnast/ballet dancer/singer/musician, and all at a high level, before we saw him in the movies.

I was very surprised at his low level of self esteem, which slid into depression and drinking at some stages of his life. Luckily for him his wife was not only gorgeous and talented, but also loved him throughout their 34 years of marriage.

We are all definitely a product of our families and upbringing, whether fo
Culleen
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
very well written account of Patrick's life. I loved the honestly with which it was written. Patrick and Lisa shared a very dynamic life together. Patrick Swayze has been one of my favorite actors since seeing him in North and South when I was a kid. I loved reading this and learning about his life. He was truly a very talented man.
Andrea
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Swayze has been my favorite actor since I was 12. I was sad and scared when I heard of his cancer diagnosis, and heartbroken when I learned of his death. Reading his book was like meeting him and learning who he really was. This book is like a gift from Patrick himself to his family, friends and fans, and I'm grateful to him and Lisa for writing it. I recommend it to all of his fans.
Sean Peters
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hi

Very sad reading this book, and knowing the person writing the book had passed away already, before the book was finished.

He tells his story from the heart, with honesty and feeling.

Their love for each other from such a young age.

The detail of the making of Dirty Dancing.

A great read.
Valery
Mar 27, 2019 added it
I don’t really feel like giving a rating on someone’s life so I won’t. While there were some questionable things said, most of this memoir rings true to the person that Patrick Swayze was. I would recommend this book if you’re a fan of his movies or at all curious of his life!
Tammy Wahl
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a huge Patrick Swayze fan growing up, and had stumbled on his book recently. A really quick read but kind of fun to be able to peek into his life like that.
~☆~Autumn♥♥
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating details about his life so I enjoyed it very much.
Gianni Cordi
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melissa T
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiographical
This book was very easy to read. It had a nice balance of Patrick Swayze's personal and professional lives, which is nice because some of the autobiographies I've read lately have seemed too heavy on the personal life and not enough of the professional life. Call me crazy, but when I read an autobiography of someone famous I like to read about them both as a famous individual and as a real person.

The writing style in this was so easygoing. It was refreshing. I don't know if this makes the most
Tina
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
July 6, 2010 - The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi

I've always liked the actor Patrick Swayze and after reading his biography I understand why. I first saw him in the break-out movie The Outsiders, alongside the soon-to-be "Brat Pack" actors Ralph Macchio, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez, all of whom went on to have highly successful careers. I also enjoyed his performances in the civil war epic North and South and of course Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

His

• From This Moment On
  • Speedbumps: Flooring It Through Hollywood
  • A Paper Life
  • Pieces of My Heart: A Life
Patrick Wayne Swayze was an American actor, dancer and singer-songwriter. He was best-known for his roles as romantic leading men in the films Dirty Dancing and Ghost and as Orry Main in the North and South television miniseries. He was listed by People magazine as its "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1991.

Diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer in January 2008, Swayze told Barbara Walters a year later th
“When those you love die, the best you can do is honor their spirit for as long as you live. You make a commitment that you're going to take whatever lesson that person or animal was trying to teach you, and you make it true in your own life... it's a positive way to keep their spirit alive in the world, by keeping it alive in yourself.” 158 likes