Start by marking “Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)

Rebel

(Faery Rebels #2)

The faeries of the Oak are dying, and it’s up to a lone faery named Linden to find a way to restore their magic. Linden travels bravely into dangerous new territory, where she enlists the help of an unlikely friend—a human named Timothy. Soon they discover something much worse than the Oakenfolk’s loss of magic: a potent evil that threatens the fate of all faeries. In a fe ...more
Published January 7th 2010 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Rebel, please sign up.
Barely Competent That is kind of a big plot point. to avoid spoiling you or others I'd say read the book and find out…moreThat is kind of a big plot point. to avoid spoiling you or others I'd say read the book and find out(less)

Start your review of Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
R.J.
Jul 14, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: This book was published as WAYFARER in its first US hardcover release in 2010, but in the UK edition and US paperback re-release is known as REBEL. There are no significant differences between any of the editions other than title and cover.

This is a book about friendship, about discouragement and disillusionment, and about the struggle to hold onto faith when everything around you seems to be telling you to abandon it. I had read a lot of books where the teenaged protagonist goes through a
Bee
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is probably the only companion characters series that I love. It just works so well because they still fit as one whole arc. Also, Bee 7 years ago didn't appreciate how rare is was to read something with zero romance whatsoever, and although there's romance in book one and three, there's NONE here. It's just a boy and a girl being friends and working together.

I used to think this was my least favourite in the series but I love how the new villain is introduced, it's very Harry Potter-esque
Steph Su
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, best-of-10
R.J. Anderson has done it again, proving that she was not merely a one-hit wonder with her debut novel, FAERY REBELS: SPELL HUNTER, which was one of my favorite reads of 2009. WAYFARER has all the sweet enchantment, world-building, and action of her first book, and ensures that Knife and Linden’s world is one that I never want to leave.

There are a variety of fairies in WAYFARER, from the small but determined Linden, to much bigger and badder ones. Anderson’s fairy world is one that never gets st
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

One day, Linden's summoned by the dying faery queen, who tells her that she might be their only hope for survival in the near future. Without their magic, the faeries are slowly dying, and they have been for years.

There's only forty-something faeries left in the sacred oak, and very little magic remains.

When Linden visits a faery friend (Knife from SPELL HUNTER), she comes into contact with a human boy. Timothy's having trouble fitting in at school
Jane
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those sequels that absolutely don't let you down. I loved every moment of it. There were some laughs, some adorable sweetness, some tense moments, but overall this book was beautiful and just as amazing as the first.

Absolutely recommend this series. So sweet and precious. <3
Denisa C
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I did write something about this book last night, but my computer thought he could fuck everything and leave me with a blank space. Now, I am no Taylor Swift, but don't do that again.
Now. Getting over the drama, let's start this review, again.
I really like the way I started my faery ride or trip or whatever, because untill this I don't think I've read anything only about faeries. And I had an awesome start, let me tell you.
This book focuses mostly on friendship and action, there is little to
Alison Ng
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book off not really knowing what it was about. Because I won this book (thanks Saundra Mitchell!) I didn’t bother to read the jacket summary over before I started it. I read it once, but my memory fades really easily…

At once though, I liked Timothy. Even though this is a book about faeries and magic, he seemed real to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love supernatural hot guys in books, but Timothy was different. He was human, but his thoughts and actions were down-to-earth. He wasn’t li
Jackson
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Anderson's FAERY REBELS: SPELL HUNTER aka KNIFE (UK title ftw), but WAYFARER is even more fantastic. The story telling is much more urgent, and the plot really sucks you in and drives you to the point that you can't find a good "stopping place" to put the book down...and thus read the whole thing in a day :)
I loved Linden and Timothy's friendship (though I was disapointed at the way the book ended in regards to their relationship) and the continued world building that acknowledges, but d
Tricia Mingerink
I still liked this book, but not as much as the first one. It had more Christian/Biblical references than the first one, but the setting was more tied with the real world. One thing I loved about the first one was the wonder of Oak and the setting and the faeries and that's what drew me in. This book spends more time on subways and trains bouncing around England. I also found I didn't connect as much with Timothy and Linden as I did with Knife and Paul.

Still, I enjoyed the story and I can't wai
Barely Competent
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really love these books! They are so cute and fun and while they are children's books they have a lot of quite adult themes yet a timeless sort of whimsy. I recommend these books to anyone and everyone who can still muster a childlike sense of wonder. ...more
Nisma
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This stuff is just fun, and not in a cutesy way either. I love how RJ Anderson can have these fierce faeries, and then these sweet ones too, and they all get to be heroines. I like how the adventure is big and small all at once - it's not a large novel, but she manages to pack in just enough. I love how that pretty, fanciful image of faeries is retained, but she managed to weave in this sinister plot just as naturally. And I love how she dared to bring in this question of beliefs, even ethics, t ...more
Kat
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting and fast-paced sequel to the original Knife or Spell Hunter or whatever you want to call it (these multiple edition, multiple title books are so confusing!), with echoes of the first book in the relationship of "broken young human male meets adventurous young faery female," but happily they are echoes only: Timothy and Linden are very much their own people, not carbon copies of the first book's main pair. Once their adventure gets going, it hurtles towards its (unexpected) conclusion ...more
Nicole Marie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Miss Clark
Crystal
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm about to admit something astounding, okay maybe not that astounding, but some of you might think so. The truth is I have never read a faery book before (at least not that I remember). I've read vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, angels, demons, but not faeries. So, Wayfarer is my first exposure to this paranormal entity.

I found the faery world depicted in this book to be fascinating. I learned after starting this one that it is actually the second in the series, but not reading the first d
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
In WAYFARER, the stakes are even higher as we follow Linden and Timothy on an unforgettable adventure to save the fairies of Oakenwyld.

Linden is appointed for an important task to seek out other faeries in hopes of restoring magic to the faeries of Oakenwyld. Her journey leads her to Timothy, whose suspicions of his cousin Paul’s and Knife’s urgent whispers, leads into an argument that sends him on the run. Linden, then becomes an uninvited guest as Timothy heads to the one place that Linden vi
OpenBookSociety.com
Beware of spoilers

Linden’s home and safety have been compromised. Her Queen can no longer keep her safe and her Foster mother is powerless to help. So what can she do?

She must rely on Timothy, a teen-aged boy who has been suspended from school for fighting, to guide her through the dangerous streets of London and help her to find someone to restore magic to her tribe.

Timothy is the son of Christian Missionaries who are living in Uganda. He has been sent back to London to attend school, but he mi
Susana

After re-reading Knife, the first book in this series, I knew I had to get started on "Rebel" as soon as possible, mainly because I couldn't wait to figure out what was going to happen next in the story!
Addictive: check.

In this book that takes place a few good years after Knife, our main character is Linden, the sweet good natured fairy who had Knife for foster mother. Remember her?

Linden couldn't be more different from Knife, but she is engaging in her own sweet, and at times naïve, way. Sh
Lori
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lori by: grumpybear17@msn.com
When I read and reviewed Spell Hunter a couple of weeks ago, I said that I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know how much I would enjoy reading about teny tiny faeries. I ended up enjoying it immensely. The lore of the faeries and and Knife as the main character really brought the story to life for me. But unfortunately I didn't enjoy Wayfarer nearly as much.

Wayfarer is about Linden, who we meet in Spell Hunter as a child. Now it's her turn to step up and do her duty to save the Oak. I missed
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
The Faery Rebels series is addicting. Wayfarer takes place 15 years after Spell Hunter and the Oak is in great danger. A dying queen leaves the faeries powerless and vulnerable.
A tough little faery named Linden sets out to find the missing powers. Even though Linden was only fifteen, the entire Oak was counting on her.
A human named Timothy, who is unsure of himself, becomes Linden’s partner. Over time, Timothy gains confidence and learns to trust the faeries. His transformation was one o
Kristen Harvey

Why I read this: I love fairies and I really enjoyed the first book in this series.

Plot: Linden hopes to find other faeries to help Oakenfolk so they don't fade out of existance. A human named Timothy is staying with her former faery mother and when he gets fed up he takes off. Linden decides to tag along and see if he can help her find more fairies where he is going. But when they do find a few, Linden finds out that not all faeries are good.

Definitely a great plot that kept moving and changing
Shantelle
A more intense, definitely more magical, sequel to Faery Rebels (or Knife). I enjoyed getting back into the unique and superb faery world; and was delighted to see how Knife's life had progressed since the last book! :)

I really just love Linden. She's sweet and kindhearted, also courageous and ready for adventure! It was interesting to read Timothy's story as well.

There was some big changes and revelations in Rebel... what fun! Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

This book mentions Chri
Ellie
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-name, z-2016
While I'm still not convinced that Knife needed a sequel, I'm glad that this was how it was done - by opening up the faeries horizons. For the most part, the big reveal was so darn obvious. Maybe that shouldn't be a surprise because this is a juvenile book, but Knife did a much better job at keeping things mysterious.
Sequels are hard to recommend, overall. If you liked the first one you'll probably like the second... but I wouldn't go around recommending Knife because the whole series was phenom
Tracy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, faeries
I was going to give this book four stars but in the end it was too amazing! I love Linden. At first she as way too shy and it was her first time on a adventure. But she met Timothy, Paul and Peri's cousin and the adventure began.

Timothy at first sounded like a complete jerk but after meeting Linden his heart began to slowly change. Timothy almost gave his life for Linden and he was very brave. They both met bad fairies on the way and fairies that wanted to betray the oaklynfolk.

But reading thi
Kristy
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm too old for this one.... a lot of the major climax moments were just overly simplified. I needed a bit more. On the flip side, I think I would have really liked this when I was around 13 or so.

With that said, I definitely recommend this for the younger, young adult reader who is interested in fairies.

3 stars.
Gabriella
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just like knife, as I expected, I enjoyed every line written across the page. This one brought more of a mysterious feel. Especially with one character in particular; Rob. Once again the book was beautifully written and certainly unique. I would recommend it to anyone.
Emily
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually didn't expect it to end like it did, I expected her to fall in love with Timothy but... ...more
Bryn
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved how it was Linden who was chosen and how Anderson uses different characters to tell the stories in different books and how those characters appeared in previous books. It connects the stories in an interesting and original way, and it was amazing to see. I would like to see whether Queen Amayralis used the sight to choose her, or if she chose her as she was the only faery in the Oak who didn’t have a job.

Another thing I liked is how everything linked up. Although it was easy to guess, th
Heather Pearson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, canadian
The threat to the oak tree where the faery live continues. As the queen sickens, her magic fails more each day and the tree itself is failing. They need help and only other faeries can bring what they need.

Young Linden is the only one suited to such a momentous task, but she will need help She turns to Timothy, a visitor to the family who own the house and lands where the oak is growing. At first he is reluctant to help, but the more he learns about the faery and their plight, the more he is wil
LunaSanguine
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children
Didn't redefine the wheel and I probably won't re-read it but it was a quite pleasant experience for a couple hours and I'd defently recommend that to kids into fantasy.
I especially appreciated the religious doubts of the main character. Something like that would have helped me as a child. Being 12, 13 I felt very weird and alone not believing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• 13 Treasures (Thirteen Treasures, #1)
  • The Summer King (The Chronicles of Faerie, #2)
  • The 13 Curses (Thirteen Treasures, #2)
  • 13 Secrets (Thirteen Treasures, #3)
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • Shell
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • Tree-mendous Trouble (The Dead Sea Squirrels Book 5)
  • Diamond (Hetty Feather, #4)
  • Hetty Feather (Hetty Feather, #1)
  • One Wish (Thirteen Treasures, #0)
  • The End of the World (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6.5)
  • The Illearth War (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #2)
  • I am the Great Horse
  • Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1
  • Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
R.J. (Rebecca) Anderson was born in Uganda, raised in Ontario, and has spent much of her life dreaming of other worlds entirely. She is the author of ten traditionally published fantasy/SF books for children and teens, including the UK-bestselling faery romance KNIFE. Her new Flight and Fire Trilogy begins with SWIFT and NOMAD in Aug/Nov. 2020, ending with the brand-new novel TORCH in February 202 ...more

Faery Rebels (3 books)
  • Knife (Faery Rebels, #1)
  • Arrow (Faery Rebels, #3)