Start by marking “Caught” as Want to Read:
Caught

Caught

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  56,976 ratings  ·  3,919 reviews
17 year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Dutton (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Caught, please sign up.
Adam definitely! this book made me add the Harlan Coben to my favorite authors list.

·  56,976 ratings  ·  3,919 reviews

Start your review of Caught
Julie
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Caught by Harlan Coben is a 2010 Dutton publication.

Remember those shows where pedophiles were lured into a sting operation, thinking they were meeting up with an underage girl, only to find themselves under arrest and embarrassed on national television?

Well, this is the story of Dan Mercer, a man who walks into that same kind of trap- and Wendy Tynes is the reporter who set him up. When things take an unexpected and shocking turn, it leaves Wendy with more questions than answers.

Meanwhile, the
Mandy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was hard not to get "caught" up in this novel (excuse my corny pun). If you haven't read a Coben novel you're missing out. This guy can write books like no one's business. He is to mystery writing as Reba is to country music. Coben is one of the best, if not THE BEST mystery authors out there. My life goal is to read all his books! :) his books are my happy place!

This book was another one of his that had twists and turns and at the very end knocks you back and does a one eighty and I FREAKING
Michelle♥
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
There were two parts to this book. Mind you, I have been anxiously waiting for Coben to come out with a new book. I absolutely love him and think he might be my favorite author of all time.

I always get wrapped up and into the story and literally finish his book within a day or less, and that was the case with this one. Like I said there were two parts to this book.

It kind of threw me because I'm not used to that style of writing from him. There was the dark anticipation and then it spun you for
Phrynne
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although I always like the books from Coben's Myron Bolitar series the best, his stand alones, like this one, are often really good too.

Caught begins with a man being publicly named and shamed as a paedophile and continues apace with a missing teenager, murders and suicides. At first it all seems random but gradually things come together. There is a lot of suspense throughout the book and I found myself very reluctant to put it down.

I enjoyed the characters especially the relationship between W
Nazanin
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

Caught by Harlan Coben is a crime mystery. It was my first read by this author and I would like to try his other works. Told in multiple POV, 3rd person, it’s a standalone novel. It was a bit dark, a bit slow for my taste, unpredictable with a shocking ending and satisfying! Overall, it was a good read and hope you enjoy it as well!
Matthew
Wow! When you read this one you will need to take notes, create a flow chart, etc. and I bet you still won't see anything coming. Not only did keep thinking that I had guessed where the story was going, Coben had me convinced I was right and the BAM! nope . . . wrong again! This happened about 10 times. Only 4 stars because it didn't blow me away, but it was very good.

Also, the mid-life crisis men's club was pretty funny. And, bonus appearance by Win from the Bolitar series.
Suzanne
I think if I'd read a paper copy I'd have rated more highly. True to form though, Mr Coben has delivered an enjoyable romp into quite a windy sojourn of twists, turns and cul-de-sacs.

Ultimately this book was quite satisfying in terms of the ending, but in getting there I felt it was just too slow. In a way, it felt like it kept going and going.. In saying that though, I did like the epilogue, that was satisfaction for me.

Whilst this is not my favourite of this author, I still very much look for
Barbara
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Edward Lorn
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans who don't want to think too hard.
I usually cannot stand books with characters who're idiots or plots that rely on those characters being idiots, but this one wasn't so bad. In fact, I had a damn good time. I've met single-cell organisms with more going on upstairs than reporter and all around doofus Wendy, but Harlan Coben made her extremely easy to read about. There's no way she could've put any of the ending together by herself, but the journey was twisty enough that it kept my attention.

Oh, and I know Coben has a long-runni
Daniel Audet
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book yesterday and as I read the last few lines I couldn't help remarking to myself that this had to be Coben's best one yet. The pacing was break neck, the characters though all different and some as dysfunctional as a human can get - were believable, some even sympathetic, and some NOT, which is as it should be. Our heroine is an investigative news reporter and a single mom who gets embroiled in job related issues (not good ones) and a murder mystery involving a major college, ...more
Herbie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Harlan Coben, the King of mystery/thriller writing, has done it again 👑
I think his books pretty much guarantee a twisty ride with an ending you don't expect - Caught is no exception.
My one thing with this though is that the story wasn't hugely memorable. Even as I'm writing this the day after finishing it, I had to have a good think for a moment to remember what it was actually about... 🤔
But alas, if you need something to fill the thrillometer, Harlan Coben is the go to.
Jim
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April2020 Reading with Action/Adventure Aficionados group here:

This was an excellent read again, although I kind of knew what was coming. The first time was better, but this time I could appreciate the foreshadowing & clues better. I've also read most of the Myron Bolivar series, so I appreciated Win more.

Nov2018The first book I read by him was Play Dead, the first he published & it wasn't that great. This author was recommended by my dentist, so I gave hi
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
⭐️⭐️💫
Almost a DNF, probably should have been 🤷🏻‍♀️ just not into these “out there” thrillers lately but overall entertaining and the many story lines were well closed out.
Deanna
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book while on holiday last year and really enjoyed it.

Quite a few stories intertwining but focusing primarily on a missing girl and a TV program that carries out live child predator stings. Seemingly normal people hiding some very dark secrets. I have seen a few of the Dateline - To Catch a Predator episodes so I found that story-line quite interesting. There were times I wondered if perhaps the show had read the situation wrong (however unlikely). A person who may in fact be innoce
Debra
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

Review to follow
Jean
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
“I knew opening that red door would destroy my life.” Those are the opening words of Harlan Coben’s Caught. Dan Mercer, a dedicated child social worker, is caught in a TV sting operation by Wendy Tynes, a reporter who has made a career of taping and broadcasting supposed pedophiles caught in the act.

Wendy comes off as pretty stereotypical at first, like a female reporter who has no scruples. As the story progresses, however, she seems to find her conscience. Dan claims that he was set up, and W
miteypen
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not one of Coben's best. For one thing, a character who speaks in the first person in the prologue immediately fades into the background after I had become intrigued by his story. I think it would have been stronger if he had been the protagonist, a man trying to get out of his own predicament. Instead, Coben switches to a new character and I couldn't quite get into her. (For one thing, the book changes from first person to third.) He briefly introduces a character from other books of his, but t ...more
Corey
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I had to take so many notes with this one and by the end I had to go back a bit until I had it figured out. Just when you think it's gonna go in one direction, instead it goes in the exact opposite!

Caught is about Reporter Wendy Tynes, who is making a living by bringing down sexual predators on TV sting operations. When one who is accused of being a pedophile and is tied to the disappearance of a seventeen-year old girl, Wendy is drawn into a deadly mystery and discovering the choices of r
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Harlan Coben is my mystery/thriller writer like Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin to my chick lit books. This man keeps getting my attention with his twist and turns. Everyone needs to read his books! Like now!!!!
I'm not even going to get into detail about this book because I'm the worse person to explain a mystery without ruining it. Just take my word that you will enjoy it.
Lisa
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Harlan Coben does not disappoint in this one kept me on the edge of my seat building in every chapter never knowing who did it loved this book a must read for Harlan Coben fans you wont be disappointed
Linda
May 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-crime
Stacye
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It really does not need to be said that this was an excellent read. One should only look at who the author is and then immediately would know that they are in for a treat.

This book (like all of this author's books) really packs a punch from the first page until, literally, the very last page. As promised, the author delivers another WTF ending that leaves you with adrenaline pumping and dizzy from excitement.

I absolutely LOVED the main character Wendy Tynes, although I admit I was not digging he
Sherri Thacker
This took me a long time to read but I really enjoyed it. It kept me guessing till the very end.
Jenny
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was well-paced and I loved the character of Wendy. In some places the focus was kind of all over the place (we had narratives from a variety of characters like Hester) but it all fell into place. The ending made sense and there were many twists and turns throughout the story. This is why I love Coben's books! ...more
Lisa
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
The only thing that saved this one from a one-star rating was the narrator. She was hilarious. You could hear it in her voice: I know this is ridiculous but I'm doing my best with it. She had to deliver the craziest lines and she did it with flair. She even had to rap as a 45 year old white guy who thinks he can fill a niche in the music business. The story itself was terrible. No suspense at all. Even though this was a pretty bad experience, I'm still going to give Tell No One a try, because it ...more
Becky
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
My first! .... Yes my first Harlan Coben novel, so far so good.
Jenny Maloney
The Premise: Reporter Wendy Tynes operates a Dateline-esque sting of a probable pedophile named Dan Mercer. He insists he's being set up. When the case against him is thrown out, she questions her conclusions. When she witnesses Mercer's murder...she's not sure what the hell is going on. Of course, as she digs deepers, the troubles (job loss, death threats, etc.) mount up.

The Big Issue: This is one convaluted story, with subplots within subplots within subplots. While Coben walks a fine line he
Patrice Hoffman
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this Coben novel. It has all the same traits as any of this author's other books. There are twists, lies, and shocking revelations. Coben always manages to grip the reader from page one.

The story begins with Dan Mercer entering a house he suspects he really shouldn't be in. The red door is screaming at him to stop and turn the other way. Lo and hold, he's being setup by Wendy Tynes to be captured on video as a sexual predator. You know the NBC show "To Catch a Predator". Wendy
Rachel
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read from this infamous author but it definitely wont be my last. I very much enjoyed his writing style.
Janie Johnson
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I was looking forward to reading this book since I enjoyed the other two I have read so far by Coben. This book did not disappoint me, and I think I enjoyed even more than the ones I read before. Coben's writing style, to me, is in a class by itself when it comes to Mystery. And has everything I love about a good mystery. A great cast of characters, a great plot, fluidity, and a whole lot of mystery! I gotta say he kept me guessing throughout the whole book. Just when I thought something was mak ...more

• Missing You by Harlan Coben -- Review
  • The Stranger: by Harlan Coben | Summary & Analysis
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Invisible Girl
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The End of Her
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • One by One
  • The Other Mrs.
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • The Guest List
  • Confessions on the 7:45
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3)
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Someone We Know
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut