Start by marking “The American Book of Living and Dying: Lessons in Healing Spiritual Pain” as Want to Read:
The American Book of Living and Dying: Lessons in Healing Spiritual Pain

The American Book of Living and Dying: Lessons in Healing Spiritual Pain

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
For most people, the thought of dying or caring for a terminally ill friend or family member raises fears and questions as old as humanity: What is a “good death”? What appropriate preparations should be made? How do we best support our loved ones as life draws to its close? In this nondenominational handbook, Richard F. Groves and Henriette Anne Klauser provide comfort, d ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Celestial Arts

To ask other readers questions about The American Book of Living and Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Book of Living and Dying

Linda Flynn
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book providing both information on how to interact with one who is dying and how to include end of life planning information to make one's own dying process more meaningful. I'm not sure the author intended my second statement, but...

The book covered some of the better dying processes through time to come up with the information in the book.
Gregory Boyce
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
For hospice workers, social workers and therapists working with people where death is clearly imminent, this is an excellent read. The authors have divided the book into three sections which I found useful. Section one is history and background information on the dying process from several traditions, and a proposed approach that has served the authors well. As a therapist working with a terminal cancer client I appreciated the history and their suggestions made sense. Section two contains case ...more
Alison
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Somewhat useful in its synthesis of the universality of cultural books on death and dying and transition to the afterlife. Most of the stories (9) were touching in regard to "good deaths"...Richard told us in a workshop that he wanted to include 9 more stories on "painful deaths", but that the publisher did not believe a book including these stories would sell (a wonderul reminder of our culture's denial of death and paralysis in the adolescent psychic fantasy of immortality and glorification of ...more
Vivian
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book like this one before. It was accessible, well organized and interesting. I found the personal narratives compelling and beautiful. Lots to ponder and to return to in the future.
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death
A wonderful book, well-written, full of information and compassion. Really useful information as I think about what I have to offer others in the dying process. I'll keep this as a top 10 resource for sure.
Christina Burke
Richard Groves gives a simple and powerful resource for families facing end-of-life issues. I highly recommend this for any professionals who work in the end-of-life or grief fields.
Kelly
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dying
Everyone should read this book. It helps a person understand how to clear spiritual pain to make the physical pain of death less intense. I learned a lot in this book.
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book with many teachings on what we can learn from the sick and dying. Personal and tearful stories that I learned a lot from.
AnneKristine Norris