Start by marking “Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three

Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three

(Y: The Last Man #5-6)

Alternate Cover Edition for ISBN: 9781401225780

Y: THE LAST MAN is the gripping saga of Yorick Brown, an unemployed and unmotivated slacker who discovers that he is the only male left in the world after a plague of unknown origin instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his mischievous monkey and the mysterious Agent 355, York embarks on a transconti
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 320 pages
Published April 27th 2010 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Start your review of Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: It’s about self-reproach, misbelief, and how emotional compulsion breaks wills and vows once the nomads habituate.
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite of the whole series I think. A lot of the questions I've been waiting to have answered finally received some explanation. We see a little bit of what's going on with Beth in the outback which was fun (and sort of bizarre).

Yorick's good natured, light hearted facade crumbles a bit which is to be expected and honestly gave his character a little more believability. 355's true feelings start to show a little bit, and she seems much more vulnerable in this book than she has in p
Richard
No matter how annoying Yorick gets, by showing his unwavering dedication to scouring the Earth for his true love, and by showing his general positive attitude toward what might end up being the end of the world, Brian K. Vaughan makes it almost impossible not to love the guy and root for him. Add the rest of the rich cast of supporting characters, and this series is turning out to be one that I'll really miss when I finish.
Eilonwy
I'm plugging along with this series, and have shifted from the collected volumes to the deluxe editions. General rambling thoughts follow:

The intrigue continues and deepens, as the story has shifted from travelling across the post-apocalyptic US to now travelling across the globe. I'm giving Brian Vaughan big credit for his Big Picture plan for this series, and how the plot is taking the story setting to so many different locations and possibilities. I'm also tickled to find out (view spoiler)
Donovan
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frig it. This deserves five stars. By Book Three Vaughan has got me deeply invested in this series.

"Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret."

"Why should I keep working on some piece of crap, navel-gazing first novel, when I could be out there doing something that actually helps people?"
Caroline
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
YEAH so I really loved this one. The story was awesome and that ending! I don't have much to say about this series that I haven't already. I feel like it gets better with each book so we shall see if it keeps getting better. I want to continue this but also my bf and I are saving to go overseas so he won't be buying another one for a while :(
Scott Rhee
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yorrick finds shelter in a church in California and gets it on with a blonde named Beth, who is not his fiancee, Beth, who is still stuck in the Outback in Australia. His sister, Hero, has found redemption (kind of), and is now on a quest to find her brother and ask for forgiveness for trying to kill him. In San Francisco, rogue agents of the Culper Ring have taken Yorrick’s ring, the Amulet of Helene, and shortly thereafter, Yorrick starts spitting up blood, which lends credence to his theory t ...more
Jenbebookish
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
The story continues...!! I'm still enjoying the ride, and finally at the very end of this one, we've made a little progress in Yorrick's storyline. There are only two other books left that are out in bookstores, and I'm still very excited and very much looking forward to getting to them, but dreading reaching the end and having to continue issue by issue.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Marc
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The volume just seemed to be firing on all cylinders as the story, art, and playful twists had me putting it in front of everything else I was reading. Disillusion sets in making for more narrative depth. Vaughan has a real gift for creating these fictional worlds you want to return to and explore (I'm not generally a huge fan of series and I'm definitely not the type of reader or viewer who enjoys reboots and sequel after sequel. There's a natural story arc and character development here withou ...more
RG
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cool story and great character development. They always finish on great cliffhangers.
Anthony
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Much better than volume 2. This one really shoots along and has a lot going on in it.
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tongues of Flame (#24-25). California! And though this is another short story that only features Yorick, Vaughan manages to make it feel entirely important and tense. Plus, there's some great character study for Yorick, growing out of the previous story, and a nice, harrowing flashback [7+/10].

Hero's Journey (#26). It's great putting together the pieces of Hero's story, and perhaps giving us a little empathy for the insane monster that we saw in the first two years of this book. The dead-person-
Cookie
It was okay. The more we go, the more repetitive and outlandish this seems to be. Still very entertaining though. The one major negative that irked me : there seems to be a subtle, unconscious homophobia from the characters that may be coming from the author. The reaction of the MC to 2 of the trio partaking in sapphic pleasures was just grating...
Stephen Richter
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Continue the tale of Yorick, whose resolve to stay true begins to fall apart. Plus his monkey is stolen. What is the Last Man on Earth to do? Go to Sea. Loads of snappy dialogue and fun art.
Mike Ehlers
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume got the series back on track for me. I really appreciated the back story issues in this collection. And I liked the new characters introduced much better than ones we met in the last volume. Although I don't think I liked the reintroduction of Alter. Bringing back old villains often seems gimmicky to me.

The other thing that troubles me a little bit is the passage of time. I like that years are passing, but that seems to work better when you are reading the series in monthly installm
Natalie
description

Book 3 and still smitten as a kitten.

These women are not weaklings, and their strengths, which may have been hidden or overshadowed previously, are emerging rapidly. I'm still on the fence about who I can and cannot trust. I'd be a completely gullible fool in these times and probably would have been offed long ago for my jacket or a can of mandarin oranges.

May I also put in a(nother) plug for the amazing illustrations? I want my life to be illustrated like this. If it was, I'd just be putting
Brandon Forsyth
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of my least favorite stuff from the series in here - the Australian navy stuff just strikes me as too implausible, and the magic ring going missing/botulism plotline is just silly. That being said, some great stuff here with Hero!
Owen
Yorick Brown is still on his trip with Dr. Mann & Agent 355 to search for the cause & cure for whatever killed off every male on Earth except for him and his helper monkey, Ampersand.

Although Yorick is still a smartass and given to moments of immaturity, I find him far less annoying than I did in the first book. It looks like the lessons learned in Book Two are sticking, and I am all for that.

I have never been particularly fond of post-apocalyptic stories. Nor have I ever held the belief that
Ethan
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This review goes for the whole series. The comic is seemingly smart enough and self aware enough to be critical of its own misogyny. Or, it ought to be: it's full of bright, funny criticism of our society's misogyny and the entrenched, toxic objectification of women's bodies. Why, then, is there so much gratuitous objectification of nearly every female character? Why does every woman have a body of impossible proportions? Why is there so much senseless nudity? Either the comic isn't smart enough ...more
Henry Blackwood
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yeah i definitely like this series - I can say that with confidence now. It has its flaws like I mentioned in my prior two reviews but it still has a loveable quality about it. I mean sure, I’m still annoyed how it seems every woman character is a side character to the only man left in the world and that in a sea of woman the one man constantly is made out to be the hero - especially when the comic keeps bringing attention to that detail. But it’s still a very interesting premise with some inter ...more
Terry Mcginnis
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I stuck around as this series just gets better and better. I was unsure of continuing after the first book (1 of 5), but glad I did. Book three is the best so far, and I can't wait to dive in to book four! The highlight of this volume: finding out why Yorick and his monkey friend, Ampersand survived the man-plague!

Highly recommended!
Satish Inamdar
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Best Cover so Far, a Cow boy styled. As usual the storyline and the artwork is brilliant ... can't get enough!!
Nick
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The best graphic novel I’ve ever read.” – Stephen King

I wouldn’t go that far but it is good.
Robert
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vertigo-owned
This serie continues to be very interesting and entertaining, i need to get a hold on the next volume now. Great stuff!
C. J. Scurria
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
The group including "last man" Yorick travel the planet, coming across many perils and discoveries. One of these is someone from Yorick's past, a close family member he became hostile toward decades before the world was plagued by a virus that killed nearly all men.

What will they find and how will they survive?

The last book was pretty great in spinning memorable story lines but for some reason this time it wasn't as strong to me. Sure there were highlights the biggest in my opinion being the cha
Kate
It's been 2 years since the plague killed off all the men but Yorick, and finally Dr. Mann discovers what she believes helped Yorick survive, and it involves his monkey Ampersand... who has now been kidnapped. Yorick, Dr. Mann, and 355 are also getting closer to Australia - and we finally discover something of what happened to Beth, Yorick's girlfriend!

I was very excited to see what was going on with Beth. I'm finding myself a little confused with all the various groups who want to kill Yorick/k
Jesse
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any and everyone!
Well, this is the third one of these Y: The Last Man Deluxe editions for me so I'm going to keep it a little short. With out sounding like a total Brian K. Vaughn fanboy, this stuff is as usual...AMAZING. The story, the art, everything works on pretty much ever level possible. I'm kind of thinking of holding off on Volume 4 simply because then I won't have one to read for awhile. This book is amazing and if you like reading at all, you should be reading it (or something else by Brian K. Vaughn) ...more
Chaitra
Still hate reading the series, and I still can't figure out in how this series handle sexism and racism in a smart way (as the back blurb exclaims). And so far, I haven't seen any woman genuinely mourning her dad/husband/children except for maybe 711. Everyone else is just horny. I don't like any character in the whole series. I'm going to finish reading this, because I've wasted too much time and energy on it already, and I'm kind of interested to know who dies. (Both Mann & 355 is my guess).

Aaron
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better. And unlike Lost (which Brian K. Vaughan actually wrote for), this series doesn't avoid its central premise and themes when it starts to become "hard to explain." Instead it delves directly into the science/magic/fate angles of the story without flinching, and thus feels completely fleshed out and somehow realistic for (yet another) story about the end of the world. I can't put these things down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I
  • Transmetropolitan Book Two
  • Preacher, Book 6
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book III
  • Planetary Book One (Wildstorm Classic: Planetary, #1)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • Doomsday Clock Part 2
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • Criminal, Vol. 6: The Last of the Innocent
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • Kill or Be Killed
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned