Start by marking “I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas” as Want to Read:
I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas

I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas

Marley was dead. Again.

Just how did the happiest day of the year slip into a welter of blood, innards
Published November 10th 2010 by Gollancz (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I am Scrooge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Scrooge

Start your review of I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
Kezermezer
Mar 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dickens' immortal tale, centered around zombies.

Christmas and zombies are two of my favorite things, and I love humorous writing, so I was immediately drawn to this book. Sadly, Adams fails to deliver.

The writing is meant to be funny, irreverent and clever. The story begins: "Marley was dead, to begin with. Dead for about three minutes, that is: then he got up again." A good start. Sadly, it's a lonely hit in a sea of misses. Relying frequently on cheap tricks (when speaking of Scrooge's sang-
Mayke ☕️
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun alternative to the classic Dickens. Though the story got long and dreading sometimes.
Philip Hunn
Jan 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I bought this as I have enjoyed the current trend for silly literary mash-ups (which has also got me reading more classic literature, so that's a bonus), and as such thought it might be fun. Unfortunately, even with this book being as short as it is, that turned out to be a vain hope. I read it over two days and still really struggled to find the will to finish the wretched thing, as the clumsy and unsubtle attempts at humour really irritated me. The author clearly seemed to think the prose was ...more
Redsteve
The author is not nearly as clever as he thinks he is and he writes like a poor man's Terry Pratchett. If you can't make the editorial asides humorous AND readable, leave them alone. Further, if you remove the comedic bells and whistles, the story is short and not all that interesting. This is my second go-round with I Am Scrooge, mainly because it's short, 'tis the season, I own a copy, and I couldn't remember exactly why I didn't like it the first time. Barely two stars, and that only by virtu ...more
Carter
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
After a really great first chapter, the book became a slog of week puns and odd motives. I'm a great fan of witty British authors, but by the time the book began to explain things, I had stopped caring. I'll stick with Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel for my Holiday Zombie reads
Carolyn  Storer
What can I say about this book? It's certainly different... gory... entertaining. A story based on Dicken's 'A Christmas Carol' with brain eating zombies, what's not to like? Sounds like a great fun read. Well, it was, to a point.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of Victorian London and the imagery was really good, I could definitely see the detail in my mind of the zombies gorging on brains. However, there were a lot of jokes with the intention of making the reader laugh which failed for me. Aft
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Firstly, I have to admit that I've never read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I know, it's shameful to admit, but for some reason I've skipped a lot of the classics. :( Still, that didn't stop me from being very interested in this book when I first heard about it. For one, it's about zombies. And I've said it before, nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like zombies tearing the world apart.

I also know enough about the tale of Scrooge to recognise the many similarities in this fun story.

Ebenezee
David Gallagher
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Zombie/parody fans with low standards
Zombology seems to be the latest trend in books, and some authors boldly take on the task of adding monsters of all sorts to classic books. Dicken's story (upon which this book was based) is probably by favorite Dicken's book and my favorite Christmas tale. I'm quite open when it comes to parodies, but I don't feel as though Adam Roberts knew what he got himself into.

The zombie slash-rip-tear-gobble bloodbath is quite disgusting to read, but the best thing about this book. There are a couple of
Jo
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I couldnt get into this at all. I read over half of it which sounds like a lot but its only 150ish pages long. I tried to finish it but i couldn't. I was excited to read it because i love christmas and i love zombies but it just didnt do it for me. The author seemed to think that he was a lot funnier and cooler than he actually was. Sometimes i found myself cringing at his jokes. Like when he said "Dickens! Zom-in the bungalow" which probably won't make sense to americans but it sounds like Dick ...more
Deborah
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was rather disappointing. Premise was interesting, but it went off on these weird tangents and tried to hard. I did like how they explained the true meaning of Christmas though!
WyrmbergSabrina
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh this was a clever and delightful read.
If you’re looking for a straight zombie retelling of a Christmas Carol, then this is not the story for you. A clever use of the well known story, telling a different tale revolving around a zombie plague that strikes the night that Jacob Marley died.
I have to admit, I won’t look at the trappings Of Christmas in the same light.
Also filled with fourth wall nods, pop culture references, and mocking commentary, this is a very witty read.
Read if you like cleve
Arthur Chappell
This could and should have been fun but the humour is so forced, contrived, over-stated and plain unfunny it kills itself stone dead at every turn. The ghosts arrive out of sequence, Present, Future and then Past, with the first literally forming out of the steaming urine in Scrooge's Chamber pot. The Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come talks in streetwise youth slang which gets really irritating within a few paragraphs.

Adams comes across as self indulgent in the extreme and this is more travesty th
Julie Akeman
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Silly and Gory at the same time. And there was a slight nod to Dr. Who so that was one thing that made me charmed by this bastardization of a Dickens classic. Is everybody going to zombify the classics now? One thing for sure, the writer has a wicked sense of humor. If you like Shawn of the Dead you will like this book.
Andrijana
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It was okay, I guess. The narrator was kind of getting on my nerves. His attempts at quirkiness never failed to break my immersion. That, and I really could have done without some modified expressions and quotes used that were obviously meant to be witty.

To be fair, it's an amusing zombie story, and no-one should expect it to be a masterpiece. I might even read it again some day.

Hannah Givens
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This was funniest at the beginning and end, when it had a closer connection to the original. The middle had kind of a sci-fi satire thing growing inside it (and possibly some British humor I just didn't get?) so when it went back to just silliness it felt unsatisfying.
Jess
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this more stars. After reading it once it is now a christmas read for ever. It is my own little tradition. I loved the concept from the beginning - much like pride and prejudice and zombies but this is better. I mean the story is awesome and how the characters are merged over is just brilliant. I could go on forever, this book made me love zombies more and laugh so much it hurt. I adore the ending too.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is unspeakably awful. I was going to write a review but I found someone else who already summarised what I think of it https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ...more
T.A.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting version with a new take on Christmas and the symbols we associate with Christmas.
Amanda
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book a lot. The writing style is very amusing and gives a fun twist for a once cheerful Christmas story.
Jamie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
That was stupid. Entertaining, but stupid.
Ash
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ash by: Amanda Waite
I really enjoyed this undead take on an old classic. Very witty and nothing was as I expected.
James
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story this, starts slightly comically then gets serious quickly. A good read
Ivan Rolstad
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny take on the original story and it does not take itself seriously at all (it's a good thing).
You will laugh more than once!
Elya
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good...different but good...lots of gory parts...also made you think.
Krisselle Solangon
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I got confused in the author's narration. The story plot is good. It gives another meaning to Christmas. But I really like the part where two famous classic writers have their cameo.
Artemis
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zombie fans, people who like fiction featuring fictionalized versions of historical figures,
Jeremy Hornik
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is way too clever. Also, it's very, very gory. I strongly recommend it.
Charlotte Jones
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘I Am Scrooge’ merges the Christmas classic ‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens with the more modern zombie novel ‘I Am Legend’ by Richard Matheson. I am a huge fan of the original Victorian classic, with it’s lovable characters, strong morals and enchanting winter London setting, so naturally, when I spotted this in the library I was a bit apprehensive, having never read ‘I Am Legend’. I decided to pick it up anyway, and immediately fell in love with the writing style. It isn’t trying to imm ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
What to think of this book?
I had read only one book by Adam Roberts called The Splinter which I didn't enjoyed. I stop reading after a hundred pages. It is still there to be read but after reading this book I still say I won't come back so soon.
One thing that it was better on this book was the writing style. Well and it had zombies. And it was of Scrooge. So I think it would not go wrong. Interesting or not, a movie with Jim Carrey also featuring Mr Scrooge was released around this time so I thi
Lainy
May 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Blurb From Goodreads

The legendary Ebenezeer Scrooge sits in his house counting money. The boards that he has nailed up over the doors and the windows shudder and shake under the blows from the endless zombie hordes that crowd the streets hungering for his flesh and his miserly braaaaiiiiiinns! Just how did the happiest day of the year slip into a welter of blood, innards, and shambling, ravenous undead on the snowy streets of old London town? Will the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Futur
« previous 1 3 next »

• All I Want for Christmas
  • Dracula's Guest
  • Scaredy Squirrel
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Assaulted Caramel (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • I Am Neil Armstrong
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Horrorfrost
  • 100% Naturally Flavored Comics
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Atlantia
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Little Penguin Stays Awake
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
  • The Eve Illusion (Eve of Man, #2)

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the

News & Interviews