Start by marking “Visions of America: Photographing Democracy” as Want to Read:
Visions of America: Photographing Democracy

Visions of America: Photographing Democracy

4.6  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Visions of America addresses a single question: How do you photograph democracy?After all, democracy is an idea and not something one can easily wrap one's lens around. But photographing democracy is indeed what Joseph Sohm has done in this epic journey across the 50 states. To capture this country's incredible diversity, Sohm framed his national work as George Seurat migh ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Visions of America (first published January 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Visions of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions of America

Serena
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Visions of America by Joseph Sohm is more than a collection of photos about democracy, it is one man's journey across America to find democracy and reconnect with his nation. Amidst the photographs Sohm intersperses our nation's history and the emergence of our very own icons--the bald eagle, Mount Rushmore, the American flag, and more.

And one point in this "travel" journal, Sohm says, "Maybe the point in photographing icons of democracy is more about seeking perfection than finding it." (Page 7
Alyce (At Home With Books)
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Visions of America is large and beautiful coffee table photography book. There was much oohing and ahhing over the photos as I pulled it out of the box that first day.

Visions of America is split into thirteen chapters, each addressing a different facet of democracy including: American icons, racial diversity, the fifty states, cityscapes, and rural America (among others).

What I liked about Visions of America is that you can pick it up and flip through the photos, enjoying them for their own beau
Nancy
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Visions of America: Photographing Demoracy by Joseph Sohm was simply a joy to go through. It is not a small book, nor is it inexpensive; but I feel that if you take the time to sit down with it and read it (not just look at the pictures which, are in themselves, are a treat) you will find yourself over the past 30 years in many of them.

America is troubled right now. We each have our own issues to cope with; but the underlying trust that the original colonies and their people found on these shor
Catharyn Sohm