Start by marking “World According to Twitter” as Want to Read:
World According to Twitter

World According to Twitter

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  161 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The wit and wisdom of the Twittersphere captured in a hilarious, occasionally poignant, and often useful collection of hand-picked tweets.

New York Times technology columnist David Pogue has tapped into the brilliance of his half-million followers on Twitter by posting a different, thought-provoking question every night. The questions ranged from the earnest ("What?s your g
Published August 15th 2009 by Black Dog & Leventhal

To ask other readers questions about World According to Twitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World According to Twitter

Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for bits of humor

This book is not a how to book on Twitter. It will not tell how to tweet, or re-tweet (which I still haven’t figured out). This book is a collection of tweets. Interesting, funny, informative, insightful thoughts all confined to the 140 letter maximum allowed within the interface of twitter.
It is divided up into section as per “tweeted question” and lists the best responses that David Pogue has received from his followers. Pogue asks questions like - Invent a formula for disaster; What's the bes
Cathy
The perfect bathroom book, easy to pick up and read for a few minutes. Actually, it can be hard to put down! There are a lot of LOL moments here, a ton of tweets I'd love to have been able to forward, and some really clever answers to questions ranging from favorite memories to creative wordplay. The wordplay is the best part of the book by far, there sure are some clever people out there. This book would make a great gift for the Twitter lovers in your life.
Starla Nichols
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
pretty funny light read. I don't have a twitter. but still hilarious. this was published in 2009 and had a few references to the future. ie 2012 and it was hilarious to see that some of the predictions came true. it also has a "how would you improve smartphones " and some of those improvements happened as well! it was like a window into the past. :)
Madhu N
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good collection of funny tweets.

The ones with prequel to movies/sequel to movies/ phony proverbs and so many more that brought chuckles.
Cheryl
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The World According to Twitter is a collective collaboration of humorous, creative, goofy, and some cheesy lines from people that twitter. David Pogue is a weekly tech columnist for the New York Times. He also twitters. He was showing a company how twitter works and told his wife how some of the responses from people were so good but that he wished others could see the responses and not just the person asking the question. His wife suggested he put a book together…and hence The World According t ...more
Kevin
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Whether you think a book like this is worth ten bucks or not is highly subjective of course. Your sense of humor and taste in general will determine how valuable you find a collection like this to be. (I received a free copy of this book so make of that what you will)

But one thing I like about the book is that it highlights how creative and interactive Twitter can be. There are probably a great many folks who just tweet mundane happenings in their lives, and there are obviously a fair amount of
Erikka
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
More 2.5. The concept was fun and there were quite a few great answers, but it just wasn't up to par with what I was expecting. Lots of repeat comments and directly ripped-off quotes (you can use people's words, but credit them!). Lots of comments in "humor" topics that made me wonder if the author would know funny if it bit him. There were some questions/topics that were doomed from the outset, just not inherently funny. And too many repeat contributors! Some repeats are fine, but make sure the ...more
Shelby
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection of tweets is pretty much hit-or-miss. Some are pretty funny, some are just plain boring. Reading through four pages in a row of unfunny puns made me want to put it down at times. The many political tweets were awful as well; I was rolling my eyes at the several monotonous Bush jokes that we've all heard a million times before. In fact, you've probably heard several of the tweets in general a million times before. But that doesn't make the book unreadable. Give it a try, there are ...more
Anissa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had an opportunity to hear David Pogue speak at a distance learning conference recently. He's an engaging speaker, and so I bought this book in the hopes of keeping the conversation going. Pogue has collected a marvelous group of witty observations from individuals all over the Twitterverse. If you thought the internet was full of trolls, this book might renew your faith in the cleverness of others.
Andrew
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Got this book as a gift. The author is writer for the NY Times and basically took a year wherein he sent out a question via Twitter each day to his followers and waited for their often funny responses. I will say that people can clearly be very funny in 140 characters or less, but I'm a little disturbed by how much some people are enamored with puns. All in all, a very quick read with some funny parts to it.
Kirsty (alkalinekiwi)
Picked up from when the Whitcoulls bargain book store on Queen Street was having their closing sale. Was only a few dollars.

Some of the tweets are really funny and clever. I was laughing out loud sitting in the dentist's waiting room yesterday. It is quite cool what some people manage to fit into the 140 Characters of a tweet.

I might be biased as I am a bit of a twitter addict. A tweetaholic some might say.

Nambirajan
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another user generated/internet meme book , this time based on twitter..as David Pogue presents the tweets that he got as replies to his "daily meditation" questions in this book and as you read through them you can;t but be amazed at the wonderful creativity that these tweets exhibit..a clever idea that taps into the wisdom and the intelligence of the crowds..
If you are interested in crowd sourcing you should read this book..
Megan
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a Twitter addict, this was a great book to read when I couldn't get to a computer. It's surprising to see what we're capable of fitting in a mere 140 character space-limit, and the topics addressed in this book making it quite a hilarious read.
Squirrely G
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Was ready to blow this book off since I got it for free, but was glad I started poking through it. Some very funny tweets are collected here - I kept this book at work to read bits and snatches of it during lunch. Not one I would ever buy, but if you get the chance flip through it.
Jason
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Personalized note from Mr. Pogue. And I'm quoted twice.
Kam
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Fun. I got it to find out more reasons to be on Twitter, but instead it's a very enjoyable book with Twitter posts. Some very bright people out there.
Tony
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Thank you Bruce. This one is going to be a blast.

There are so many interesting quotes from the author's Twitter followers. Entertaining stuff!
Cindy
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it.
Mike
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is great. The perfect bathroom book...you can dip in and enjoy it bit by bit. Plus, I'm a co-author! Look for the tweet by @rockivist.
Erbower Bower
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Like Twitter itself, some really funny and insight gems, but a whole lot of boring too. I was also surprised that Pogue went to some of the same users over and over, dozens of times.
Lisa Stillings
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Clever tweets from around the world. Love David Pogue and his great informative approach to technology. Informative and entertaining. Always interesting.
Jasoncrowther
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A total riot. Its amazing how much humor you can jam into 140 characters.
Sean
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book looked quite fun in Kinokuniya but turned out to range between funny and banal. Worth a read if you need something for the bathroom or have want to see one particular use of twitter.
Jen Orr
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I should give this book 5 Stars since, well, I'm a "co-writer"! Check me out -- @thigpensrevenge -- on page 128. ;)
Kate
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously entertaining! You don't need a Twitter account to enjoy this book...all you need is a good sense of humor.
Syl
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hahaha! it's a very nice and hilarious (and intensive) collection of tweets. Reading it is actually having a peek at people's minds.
Recommended!
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • The Social Media Marketing Book
  • The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation
  • Favorite Norse Myths
  • Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • Teh Itteh Bitteh Book of Kittehs: A LOLcat Guide 2 Kittens
  • Familyhood
  • Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling
  • The Crazy Years
  • How To Do Everything: (From the Man Who Should Know: Red Green)

David Pogue, Yale '85, is the weekly personal-technology columnist for the New York Times and an Emmy award-winning tech correspondent for CBS News. His funny tech videos appear weekly on CNBC. And with 3 million books in print, he is also one of the world's bestselling how- to authors. He wrote or co-wrote seven books in the "For Dummies" series (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music)