Start by marking “14,000 Things to Be Happy About: The Happy Book” as Want to Read:
14,000 Things to Be Happy About: The Happy Book

14,000 Things to Be Happy About: The Happy Book

Flannel sheets. Strawberry ice cream. Making faces at monkeys in the zoo. Dog dishes that say "Good Dog." Carolers singing around a Norwegian spruce. Sun burning off the morning fog. Cabanas. It's the little things that make life worth living, and they can be found by the dozens in this obsessive, quirky, and utterly captivating compendium with over 950,000 copies in print ...more
Published January 4th 1990 by Workman Publishing Company

Ally
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Shelves: favorites
My best friend at the time and I went into a book store and bought this book. We read it together every time we hung out. And whenever I was feeling down he'd send me a text of something I should be happy about. This book has helped me with so much. Just flipping threw it puts a smile on my face. One day I decided I should get a copy, and so I did. Best ten bucks I've ever spent. I keep it in my purse at all times. This is a must have book for everyone in my opinion.
Chezzie
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me happy.

I don't think of every item on this book's list as a personal happy thing for me, but no one is going to. Not everyone has the same experiences. So I think it's silly to judge this book on the fact that you can't relate to every single thing listed. I still open this book and skim down the pages and find things that cheer me up plenty. There are scribbles and highlighting in my copy from where I've marked the things I really relate to.

Furthermore, this book has inspired
Antonia
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, i-own
A book that must exist in every bookshelf of every library of every person in the world. It's a book that helps us become more and more optimistic, and open to ourselves and to others. It makes us think about life, love, friendship, who we are, who we used to be, and how we will be able to achieve even our greatest dreams by finding happiness in daily routine, in everyday life.
5 out of 5 stars, because it really is a "Bible" for my gray days. I liked how many references are about foods and sweet
Sara M. Abudahab
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
UGHHH
I wanted to buy this for so long and when I finally found it in the bookshop was super disappointed, it's just a list of totally random things :S some things are even weird and I don't know why they were there.
Dina
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So, I haven't read the whole book and the "date I finished this book" I entered in the GR database is as random as it can be. I've kept it on my nightstand for almost 20 years now and pick it up whenever I feel a little blue. Sometimes it works - that is, it puts a smile on my face - and sometimes it doesn't.
Marcella
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly speaking, I didn't read every single page of this book. And I don't think this is a book where you can read it from page 1 to the end, or a book that you'll ever be completely finished with. Hence I'm not adding an 'Date I finished this book'.

I got this book for christmas and since then I've made it a habit to picking up this book at a moment during the day, usually right before I go to bed and flip through a couple of pages and read a few of these 'things to be happy about'. And it rea
Ryn
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! It's just SUCH a cheery book!

My friend recently relayed to me a quote he wrote... "Some of the best books have the roughest covers". 14,000 Things is one such book. I own TWO copes and mine iare completely dog eared and delightful!

This IS my favorite book. Absolutely. You'd have to pick it up to really appreciate why... but it's a list (which I love) and it's happy thoughts (which, I also love). It's re-readable... you can just pick it up and read one line, two lines, a page
Siqahiqa
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple message from this book:

"enjoying the little things in life.”

Now, I want to create a list of my things that makes me happy too =)
B.
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Someone recommended this book to me when I was having a hard time with some things. I started reading a couple pages a night and then writing 10 things that made me happy that day. It's really eye opening the spectrum of things that I put down ~ anything from what I had for dinner to seeing someone I hadn't seen in years. It's a really great gift for someone who likes to journal, is going through a difficult time or even for a youth director, minister, etc...
Shouq
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that will make you happy just by flipping through the pages. It has a great point! When i first got it, i thought it was crap but now i cherish it.
Huma Rashid
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I don't understand why this was published widely, as opposed to, like, self-published and sold on a very small scale for the intended audience, which seems to be the author's family.
Bethany
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Bethany by: goodreads
Shelves: 2013
Obviously I haven't read the whole thing. But i bought it off amazon for a penny, and it just came in the mail today! I've skimmed through a few pages, but I am very excited to just set it on my shelf and have it ready for whenever I am in need of happy thoughts!
Julia
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
I am not done with this book but I have read enough to that this author is a contemptible person and as such I will judge her book this time on her person as well as on the book itself. And I hope that she chooses to read this review or at least the first two paragraphs while others who think I shouldn't judge based on the author will find out why.

Although I am writing this review before finishing the book I will finish the book still even though I am as mad as a wet setting hen. The piece that
Vithiya
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I was looking for new books to read on saxo.dk (a danish website where you can buy books to a reasonable price), and I fell over this book - "14000 things to be happy about". This sounded like a cute book, you know the kind of book you read when it's raining outside with a nice cup of tea (okay guilty, I rarely do this, because I mean I did it once and got tea all over my book and when you are as clumsy as me, it just .. it doesn't quite work out as planned. This is just one of those many ...more
Shatha Al-Jamhoor
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
After 5 months of starting this book, I've realized that this book is different from all other books that have a beginning & an ending ..

I would leave it beside my bed & sometimes in my hand bag to read on my morning ride ..

It's a book to grab when your bored, or when not up in the mood .. Open ANY random page and read just read ..!

The simplicity of things listed, the really tiny things that we may take for granted at times are truly what we should be happy about ..

It is a guide not
P3shannonm
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't like other books. This book is a list of 14,000 things to be happy about. Some examples of things to be happy about were leaves falling on a cold day, starbucks early in the morning, and also eating water ice on a hot summer day. This book may seem boring at first because it is just a list but once you start reading it you dont want to put it down.
Lily K
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now my favourite book! It really helps you appreciate the simpler things and cheered me up whenever I'm sad. It's small enough to take everywhere but thick enough to find a new thing at every page. I think that if everybody had this book then we might live in a much happier world
Grace
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
The whole book was based off of an opinion. I guess the way she wanted to organize it was by having everyone connect to it. Myself personally was expecting 14,000 reasons everyone would be able to be happy about. Now THAT would be a great book idea!
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, eng-2017
Happiness is a choice ♥
Abinara Rafizqi
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you feel like your whole life sucks, nothing goes right and you have a hard time being thankful for all the amazing little things... then go read this book.
Bethany Dixon
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is nothing but a book-long list of things that have made the author happy over the course of many years. It sounds strange, I'll admit. But I have loved this book from the moment I picked it up years ago. It is perfect for the days when you're feeling sad and can finding nothing good in the world. Kipfer does it for you, and reminds you that there is, indeed, much beauty and wonder and joy in even the smallest of things. You won't agree with everything she likes (what would be the fun ...more
Julia Bragg
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Ultimately there isn't much to not like about this book. It is one giant, 600 page, list of little things which makes the author happy. Some of the items sound like hell to me (mainly sports related), but she did have a lot of my little happiness listed - big sunglasses, Sunday brunch buffet, getting into bed with clean sheets, promise of a small package,grey t-shits, keep calm and put your jammies on, coffee shops, french lace, summer storms, Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, dozens of places to cur ...more
Michelle
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I didn't finish this book. It is essentially a list of things that make the author happy! At first I would smile at certain things but after a while it got a bit tedious. I also found the list to contain things that would obviously only appeal to the author as they were personal and also contained a lot of repetition, things were listed multiple times with slight differences!

I can see the appeal of this book but it just wasn't for me.
Stacilee
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an unusual book because it's only a list of things to be grateful for or enjoy. However, I still gave it four stars because a brief glance through it can really remind you of all the little things we can appreciate. One of my favorites is something like "sitting on a crate in the sunshine". Over the course of a year or so, the author listed everything she was grateful for. It would be a good exercise for all of us.
Stacy Simpson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
The title of this book should have been called a list of bull s*** I think should make people happy. Curse u borders for going out of business leaving me to scramble with the rest of the crowd to pick up whatever I could get my hands on. That's how I end up with this disaster.

Wishing I could make a few dollars making a list of things I find happiness in. For the love of god don't pick this book up she doesn't deserve one more red cent. Horrible head splitting nightmare avoid at all costs.
Salla (Books Told Me So)
I actually read the "translated to Finnish" - version, which wasn't really a good idea, because it had been translated and adapted in the Finnish culture. So where there might have been New York there now was Helsinki or some other Finland's city. I only read this version because in Finland (in the faraway place I live in), there aren't so many books aviable in their original language and many of them are translations.
Jill
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book has a very bad format and has strange things that make this author happy. I decided to cross of things that did not make me happy/strange things. I wish the author would have formated this as a list and not a list followed by commas. I also wish there were not foods listed. There are also strange illustrations and inappropriate things that make this author happy. I do not recommend getting/reading this book.
Larissa Langsather
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is only personally amazing to me because I love lists and one of my very good friends gave it to me as a present- he passed away not very long after very suddenly. I finally read the whole thing in memory of him. Instead of making me happy it actually makes me a little sad because of all the things we use to do together, but I am okay with that- I have my memories till we meet again.
Latisha
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-that-i-own
This book made me really happy. It's quick and every line is something that you can relate to or appreciate. It's beautiful in the way that it points out everyday things that we all take for granted and let's us picture them for a moment to understand the real value of these objects, activities and places.
Eleanor
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
everyone needs something like this.
something to record the things that warm their heart or bring a fond memory to mind.
jot down what makes you happy, and be reminded of heartwarming things.
buy this book for you, your friends or if you're feeling special, leave one for a stranger on a wall or doorstep.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• 11,002 Things to Be Miserable About: The Satirical Not-So-Happy Book
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes
  • 1,033 Reasons to Smile
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses
  • All About Me
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • The Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions
  • Keep Calm and Carry On
  • Creative Walls: How to display and enjoy your treasured collections
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • Swell: Girls Guide to the Good Life
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book
Dr. Barbara Ann Kipfer (born in 1954) is a lexicographer,as well as an archaeologist. She has written more than 60 books, including 14,000 Things to be Happy About (Workman), which has more than a million copies in print and has given rise to many Page-a-Day calendars. The 25th anniversary edition of the book was published in October 2014. She is the editor of Roget's International Thesaurus.

Kipfe