Start by marking “Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights” as Want to Read:
Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights

Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Described by Jeffrey Masson as "the single best introduction to animal rights ever written," this new book by Tom Regan will structure the animal rights debate for generations to come. In a style at once simple and elegant, Regan dispels the negative image of animal rights advocates perpetrated by the mass media, unmasks the fraudulent rhetoric of "humane treatment" favore ...more
Published December 5th 2003 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Empty Cages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Cages

Peacegal
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
One of the best introductions to animal rights out there, Empty Cages is an excellent primer for supporters and skeptics alike.

Long-time activist Regan discusses issues of animal abuse and exploitation in a steady, rational tone that communicates respect for the readers. Unlike almost every other book of this genre, Regan realizes that mental blocks stand in the way between mainstream society and the recognition of humane values. For over two decades the animal use industries have been on the d
Ireene
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect way to spend a New Year's Eve - reading about animal rights. I really liked the first part of the book. Regan explains so clearly and simply why animals have rights, what those rights are, and why we should respect them. To Muddlers, everywhere - read this book if you are still not sure about these issues and still have many buts and questions.
queli
...great basic book for those who think that animals were created ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY for our consume(food, clothes,shoes), our entertainment(circuses, hunting, races), and all the ways animals are wrong-used (all king of experiments, labs). It give answer to all the hypothetical and non-hypothetical questions about vegetarianism and veganism.
But, if we still live with phenomenon like Guantanamo or Auschwitz, what can we expect about our treatment to other species, right?
[It's really explicit,
Christa
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good resource for those who are interested in animal law, animal welfare, and the overall treatment of animals. It can and is used as a legal textbook but it is also handy for any animal activist who needs a quick yet accurate resource about animal suffering and alternatives in the United States.
Lisa Vegan
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in ethics, philosophy, animal rights
Tom Regan is a philosopher and professor. I highly recommend all of his books. I find him intelligent and thoughtful. He’s a good communicator and he presents compelling and cogent arguments for the importance of both human and animal rights.
Alicia Aldrich
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A book all animal lovers should read.
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in knowing the truth about animal rights
Graphic and saddening, yet enlightening and empowering. Tom Regan is a great writer who puts all aspects of the animal rights movement in a digestible and positive light.
Antiloquax
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-rights
Very useful book. His arguments are solid.
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very persuasive, this along with a few other factors was very influential in my decision to become a vegetarian.
Johan
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alla borde läsa denna!
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Obligate Carnivore: Cats, Dogs, and What it Really Means to be Vegan
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • Animals Matter: A Biologist Explains Why We Should Treat Animals with Compassion and Respect
  • Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good
Tom Regan was an American philosopher who specializes in animal rights theory. He was professor emeritus of philosophy at North Carolina State University, where he taught from 1967 until his retirement in 2001.

Regan was the author of numerous books on the philosophy of animal rights, including The Case for Animal Rights (1983), one of a handful of studies that have significantly influenced the mod
More about Tom Regan...