Start by marking “Carnivores” as Want to Read:
Carnivores

Carnivores

The lion is king of the jungle!
The great white shark is sovereign of the seas!
The timber wolf is emperor of the forests!

But...it's lonely at the top of the food chain. It's difficult to fit in when plant eaters can be so cruel--just because you ate a relative of theirs that one time! What's a carnivore to do?

Aaron Reynolds's roaringly funny text is perfectly paired with
Published August 20th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Carnivores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnivores

Start your review of Carnivores
Melki
Lion, Great White Shark, and Timber Wolf are tired of the herbivores treating them like dirt just because they can't control their appetites for meat. So, they try being vegetarians, and they try holding hilarious support-group meetings . . .

description

. . .before coming to the conclusion that it's not necessary to mess with Mother Nature.

Their new credo?

I'm not bad,
I'm a Carnivore,
Eating meat is just what I do!

It's really not a catchy slogan, but I'd start running if I were you.
Kelli
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are definitely many upsides to vacationing in a small coastal town with a minuscule year-round population but today I celebrate the enthusiastic librarian, who found the perfect books for my children. At nine and seven, picture books are losing their universal appeal. This book was the best of everything. The illustrations are spectacular and the story is hysterical. A little sarcastic, a little silly, a lot of fun. 5 stars.
Panda Incognito
Jul 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015, animals
This book is supposed to be funny, but I think it's revolting. I'm not a vegetarian, so meat-eating doesn't bother me, but it is morally disturbing to present children with a storybook that gives predatory animals moral consciences and then lets them embrace the deaths of other animals as part of who they are as individuals.

In real life, animals are carnivores and that's just the way they are. In a picture book, with moral consciences imposed on the creatures, carnivorism looks more like
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just so long as children realize that humans are omnivores who can choose to be vegetarians, we're all good. This appeals to the tiny bit of me that is a little boy, the larger bit of me that loves good science, and the biggest part that knows how to roar with laughter at a picture-book.

(Not 'to each his own' but 'be yourself....')

(Pahrump)
Peacegal
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
On one hand, this book is gorgeous to look at. The vibrant illustrations are full of life and humor, and bring to mind the anthropomorphic critters in films such as "Finding Nemo" and "Madagascar."

It's true, carnivorous wildlife need some good press. They are depicted as bloodthirsty killers in the popular imagination, and their wholesale slaughter is excused and even encouraged. One only needs to look at the eternal war on coyotes, or the current surge of hatred against wolves, in the American
Tasha
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It’s hard to be a carnivore when all of the prey whispers behind your back, nobody understands the way you eat, and you are accused of sneaking around. So a lion, a great white shark and a wolf get together to form a support group. Their first plan is to become vegetarians, but that doesn’t go well at all. In fact, the wolf can’t seem to find a berry bush that doesn’t have a bunny in it. The next plan is using disguises to blend in, but one smell of the lion’s zebra breath turns the antelope ...more
Carol
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious!! The Lion, the Shark and The Timber Wolf start realizing that it's lonely at the top of the food chain. They decide to become vegetarians to start making more friends. It doesn't work out at all. Can they come to terms with who they really are??? The illustrations are fantastic and really make this story come to life. I'll be taking this one to the schools with me in the Spring!
Beth Honeycutt
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having this read aloud to you with a group of 8th graders was fantastic! Laugh out loud funny!
Vivian
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
A book about carnivores should use the words "herbivore" and "omnivore" in addition to "carnivore". This story about the food chain takes the characters of ill repute in so many stories -- the "bad guys" and addresses their feelings about being smeared and side-lined. They get together and try different approaches, such as changing their diets and disguising themselves. In the end the Owl proposes the obvious--don't apologize for who and what you are. At which point Owl is happily consumed by ...more
Cindy Minnich
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I saw this at BEA and I think I brought all of my friends to see it - if only for an excuse to come back and read it again.

I have always felt sorry for the gazelles and rabbits and other prey out there. Those nature videos they showed in school made me want to cry. BUT I never really considered the carnivore's plight - everyone runs when they see you and you can't help that they are what you want for dinner. The artwork is bright, colorful - and the faces are so expressive!

From cover to cover,
paula
It's not often I consider calling a picture book "ballsy." But in a neck-and-neck life-or-death race with "delightful" to describe this book, I think "ballsy" makes it to the finish line first. And then wheels around to devour "delightful" with mad gnashing glee. I think we'll have steak for dinner.
Carol Jen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I appreciate that this book will definitely have an audience that loves it... and that it is a great way to explain that animals are not mean for eating other animals - it's just who they are. With all that said - I didn't love it.
Akje
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The ultimate message of this book is awesome and true: lions, wolves, sharks and other predators are not evil. They're just doing what they're designed by nature to do, and they serve an important ecological function. The readers giving this book one and two stars because it doesn't glorify veganism seriously need to chill. The penultimate message about accepting yourself for what you are is also pretty darn cool. ʕ•ᴥ•ʔっ ...more
Tracy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ha ha ha! A friend told me about this book, which was a gift for her kids. She said she and her brother found it more hilarious than the kids did. My friend was correct - cute, darkly funny read!
Andrea Northam
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I normally like Aaron Reynolds, and I normally love Dan Santat, and I even like stories about self-acceptance. And yes, this story is funny...BUT...the lesson overall seems to be that you should accept yourself as you are, love yourself, and then summarily ignore how your actions and desires might harm other people...er, helpless critters. The focus is so much on the carnivores' feelings that the feelings of the prey get totally ignored. This is in direct contrast to the much better We Don't Eat ...more
Terri
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A lion, a great white shark, and a wolf bemoan their fates, describing how others flee from their presence and never want to hang out with them. They try various ploys to become more socially acceptable, including disguises and vegetarianism. None of their efforts end well. Reminded that eating other animals is natural for carnivores, they embrace their nature and all is well... except for the prey!

Aaron Reynolds explains the nature of a carnivore in humorous dialogue, and Dan Santat's
Samantha
The Lion, Great White Shark, and the Timber Wolf are feeling bad about themselves. They are mighty meat eaters, but their diet is causing them distress. They meet and discuss a couple of different options such as going vegetarian or dressing in disguises, but when they finally learn to accept themselves is when they finally feel at peace.

Soooooo funny, but also with a great message. This is a great read aloud for the lower elementary school grades with mixed media illustrations.
Chiara Calò
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
A book about three carnivores - a lion, a shark, and a wolf - struggling to be accepted for what they are.
I found the entire story disquieting... Poor owl!
Not suitable for small children, even if the description says "5-8 years". Read it alone before giving it to your children, and you'll see what I mean.
The illustrations are great (and crude, go figure), but insufficient to make me change my mind.
Ashley
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this story reminded me a bit of Finding Nemo. "Fish are friends, not food."

But then took a fun turn I rather enjoyed. The ideas these carnivorous animals devise are entertaining and fun. Vegetarians? No. Costumes? No. There is no success until they learn to be happy with what they are.
Cathy Hall
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow, (sorry, cow!) I laughed out loud at this picture book.

My 26 year old daughter laughed out loud at this picture book. And I'm pretty sure if my kids were still little, they'd laugh out loud at this book. Maybe not for the same reasons that *we* are laughing out loud, but who cares? REALLY funny stuff, text AND pictures.
Beverly
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-mammals
What a hoot! I loved the large, mixed media illustrations. On the front endpapers is an illustrations of the carnivore food pyramid, filled with different animals. On the end endpapers, that food pyramid is empty, with just a few crumbs left. These carnivores did try out vegetarianism in one spread, but it didn't work for them. Hilarious text; large funny pictures.
Caleb
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am almost positive that enjoying this book makes me a bad vegan, but so be it!

It's not easy being a carnivore when all the other animals judge you for eating their friends, family and neighbours.
Bethe
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the brilliant creators of Creepy Carrots and The Three Ninja Pigs comes this "think about it funny" book. Good mentor text for POV, food chain lesson, or plain old fun story time. Can't wait to read this with 2nd grade, who adored the previous books. Don't miss the end papers!
Leona
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
parents will enjoy the deliciously politically incorrect about embracing your culinary predilections. illustrations stand on their own--hilarious and frame-worthy.
Alison Criner
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! It's funny, the illustrations are great, and kids will love it. This books is perfect for introducing food chains.
Debbie
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always be yourself. Hilarious!
Sue Winson
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read many children books demonizing carnivores or kids-eating monsters (e.g. Fat Ferdie by Pamela Allen). Even 23- month old little-AJ learned how to scream shrilly whenever he sees a picture of crocodile, lion, and shark. I always wonder whether any children book writer has ever come out with a story helping kids to see things from the point of view of the carnivores. Instead of turning all meat-eating creatures into pure vegetarians, are there books around asking us to accept the carnivores ...more
Taryn Grant
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how Aaron Reynolds writes for those boys that are hard to engage. Those boys that laugh at the fart jokes and pretend to read while they doodle on my crayon container. This book is for those books and it's hilarious. The three bad critters can't stop eating everything around them and they got a complex so they try to go vegetarian. When they speak to the wise old owl they figure out that eating meat is just what they do, and then they eat the advice giver. This book is silly and sarcastic ...more
Dana Bergeron
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was pretty disturbing and scientifically unsound. For example, octopuses, dolphins, and narwhals are carnivores, with a diet exclusively of meat and they are presented as vegetarians multiple times throughout this book, as are many omnivores like raccoons. Not only is the entire book confusing, but it’s gruesome and upsetting. It claims to be a message of acceptance, but that is absolutely not the vibe I, nor the other adults/parents I showed this book to, received. This was ...more
Margaret Boling
3/23/2017 ** Carnivores has been such a pleasure reading to kindergarten through second graders in my library this week. Santat's illustrations perfectly complement Reynold's text. The facial expressions of the characters give readers clues about what will happen on the subsequent page. The kids love feeling "in the know." It's also been interesting reading it with the range of ages - most of the younger kids are just a bit slower to pick up on the nuances than the older students. This was a ...more

• Are We There Yet?
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • The Good Egg
  • Duck in the Fridge
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Ribbit!
  • Crankenstein
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend