Start by marking “The Time of Terror” as Want to Read:
The Time of Terror

The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  363 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
1793: The French have killed their king and are about to embark on the violent period of bloodletting known as the Terror.

Brig-sloop Commander Nathan Peake is on smuggler patrol off the Sussex coast and desperate for some real action. As revolutionary France declares war on England, he seizes his chance. Peake is given a vital mission; to destroy the French economy by smug
Published June 12th 2008 by Headline Review (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of Terror

Eric
The Time of Terror is a riveting tale of the atrocities in France during the French Revolution in the 1790's. Nathan Peake is a British naval officer who is undercover as an American naval officer transporting goods to France in the appearance of support to France. However, appearances may not be what they seem....

Here is a book that has many facets to it and is well written. The characters are well developed and interesting. The book can be considered a naval adventure but most of the story tak
Linda
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am mad at the book and wonder why it was not better edited! The hype was so promising! From it, I expected to read a little about Marie Antoinette and maybe a mention of Napoleon. I expected more would be written about 'real' American diplomats in France at that time and more about Robespierre. I expected the political relations among France, England, and the United States to be explored or explained or whatever because these three countries made a lot of history during this era. I cannot foll ...more
D.w.
May 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book suffers.

Sorry to say, for most of the books I get from McBooks Press are really good. McBooks knows the genre that they publish, but Hunter has written a book that just touches the genre and is more concerned with, as the title states, the Terror, rather than as the cover and McBooks would have us think, a Napoleonic Era naval saga.

On those merits, as a historical novel it succeeds better than as an Age of Sail novel. Our hero, who is not heroic, but drifts on the sea without any knowl
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth Hunter makes the time and place come alive. You can almost see Robespierre and the people of the revolution, feel the menace of them and the power that they wielded. There is danger in the streets and violence everywhere. You can feel the terror of the time when you could be killed for not having a tricolor in your hat. It is a very vivid picture of the turmoil of the politics and the capricious nature of the people that Nathan Peake was thrust into. It is a story of the French Revolution a ...more
Charles  van Buren
 A most enjoyable piece of historical fiction, August 22, 2017

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: The Time of Terror: A Novel (The Nathan Peake Novels) (Kindle Edition)

A different sort of naval warfare novel, much of the action occurs on land. Nathan Peake, commander of a small sloop, is assigned to fighting smuggling. Chasing a lugger across the channel leads to his selection for an espionage mission inside Revolutionary France in the time of The Terror. There, on his several mi
Studebhawk
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravery Amid Terror
In a well crafted, researched story, what we get here is a compelling tale in which the author inserts his hero in the first novel in this nautical adventure series.
The author paints a picture of the madness and terror that came with the French Revolution. This story has everything for the most casual reader of historical fiction. With an attractive hero that we care about, compelling well researched storylines, this series can only grow and draw more enthusiastic readers.
Meredith Lahmann
While more of this book takes place on land than sea, it is still a good read on the Napoleonic wars. The characters are interesting with real historical figures woven into the action. Nathan Peake is not one's typical British officer whose ideas are often out of sync with those of his society.
At first I was disappointed that this was not in the Age of Sail tradition since the sea going parts were so limited, but it is not fair to judge a book because it is not what you expected. What it is,
Eugenea Pollock
Although I think this book creates the feeling of chaos and menace that must have pervaded the French Revolution fairly well, I did not like or really care about the main character, Nathan, or any other for that matter. As he was in the British Navy, I had hoped for more about ships and life aboard them a la the Lucky Jack Aubrey books of Patrick O'Brian. But my hopes were in vain. This was not a waste of time; it was just less than expected.
Matthew
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun! Somewhere between the straight forward, no-nonse stories of the Horatio Hornblower series and the complex Aubry-Maturin series, this book fits nicely. It has a lot of action on sea and land. The almost obligatory damsel in distress is a real surprise, as is the ending. Although it does bog down a bit at the end it is an enjoyable read.
Barry Edstene
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done book, smartly researched with true history woven into the story seamlessly. The fictional charecters are believable and well developed. For me this is the first book in a series that I look forward to completing.
Debra Borchert
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling story of storms both on the water and on land. I cared deeply for the characters I liked and despised those I didn't, which was great! Really wonderfully written. I eagerly look forward to Hunter's next book.
Linda Knierim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History of France

I very much enjoyed this historical novel of a specific time in Frances history. Learning about fighting naval battles of the time was fascinating. I do wish the character of Sara had been developed more.
Allen Thomas
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Time of Terror

A very well written book. The story takes you back in time to a place of romance and horror. With just a little play on history. This is a must read book.
jallioop
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much nautical action but interesting as historical fiction. The main character has potential. Will try another in the series and see how it goes.
Hal Harker
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book bit slow starting but once it got going
it just became a exilirating page turner!!
Joe Ski
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting easy read novel of historical French Revolution combined nicely with a wonderful, but for a romantic, a disappointing result, fictional story. Learned detailed facts not readily known.
John
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical fiction or just a good tale pick this up. I thought it would be a sea tale like the Hornblower series but this naval officer sees most of his action ashore.
Viola
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical Jewel

Great tale of men warped in power, delusions of ideal lifestyle.... Confusion in political circles. Love and a man of the sea
Laurie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, napoleonic
Thought it was to be more of a sea story.
Helen
Nathan Peake is a commander in the British Navy who spends his days chasing smugglers along the English coastline. This is not really Nathan's idea of fun and he longs to have some real adventures. He gets his chance in the year 1793 when, with England and France at war, he is asked to run the blockade in the English Channel and deliver some important documents to the American minister in Paris. Unknown to Nathan, however, his ship is carrying a cargo of counterfeit banknotes - putting his life ...more
Andrew
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Good

There are a multitude of books and series of books about the French - British wars and naval battles of the late 18th century and the Napoleonic era(O'Brian and Forester are the most well known). So it was with some skepticism that I started this good which I was drawn to by some positive online reviews. Well the book was a very pleasant surprise--well written, long on historical research and a good balance of sea and land adventure. I will read the next books in the series. Recommend
Jenn
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like fictionalized history
Recommended to Jenn by: I won a copy here.
Shelves: first-reader-win
Blood, gore, and a little more blood for good measure - that's how I once heard the Terror of the French Revolution described. This book is no disappointment for one looking for an interesting nautical adventure intermixed with the horrors of the French Revolution.

Nathaniel Peake (or should I say Turner, which is the alias he uses during most of the story) is an intriguing sea captain who opts to accept a special assignment that lands him right in the midst of Revolutionary France.

Hunter takes l
Jim
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Seth Hunter. It is the first in his Nathan Peake novels. Peake begins the novel as Master and Commander of HMS Nereus, a brig sloop, working with the English revenue service to intercept smugglers running contraband between France and England. In the course of pursuing one of the smuggler's vessels, Peake ends up on the French coast, where his ship takes fire from French forts on the very opening day of a new war declared by France against England. This, tog ...more
April
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth Hunter
McBooks Press, Inc.
2008

A Librarything Early Reviewer Book
The Time of Terror is the story of Nathan Peake, a British Navy officer and his undercover work in the post-revolution France.

I am of different minds about this work. The writing is good, but not great. Some of the chapter transitions in the first half of the book were awkward and left me confused on how the characters got to where they were.

The main character, Nathan Peake, is not a good hero. He lets events o
Barb
My apologies to Mr. Hunter but this book was not for me. I liked the main character, Nathan Peake and the premise of the novel sounded interesting and exciting. I read the Historical Note at the end of the book and it appears that Mr. Hunter has done his homework. The writing was good, the characterizations were interesting, I liked the setting and the history.

Unfortunately, I had a difficult time getting past the detailed sailing jargon. I wanted to continue reading to find out what happened t
Harry
A wonderful historical novel. Seth Hunters' marvelous prose makes you taste the sea air on the English Channel and feel the chilling terror of the French Revolution. His story is anchored excellently in historical fact with documented notes at the end of the book detailing his deviations. The characters (specifically main character Peake) grow in there development as the the plot moves along. The story does start slowly but builds with suspense and excitement to a satisfying ending. Enjoyed it m ...more
Yolanda
This was a goodreads first read giveaway. Nathan Peake is a British navy commander who has to prove himself to his crew. Nathan does not really want to be there and the crew doubts his leadership. He did come through and earned the respect of not only his crew, but his superiors. In 1793 there is much history and adventure, it started off slow but the pace quickened and the detail was enough. I did like the end when the author went over the parts of history used and what really happened.
Steve Williams
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Nathan Peake has replaced Richard Sharpe as my favourite historical character, with his role as naval officer, spy, lover and Englishman, a breath of fresh air to the genre, Seth Hunter's work is, in my mind, excellent. I hope the series runs as long and fruitful a course as Sharpe did.
Booklovers Melbourne
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Arnold
You can tell from the writer's style that he is used to writing for television and that can be distracting, at least to begin with. However, if you can get past that, it's quite an enjoyable yarn, into which has clearly gone a lot of careful research.
  • The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie, #17)
  • Buccaneer (Hector Lynch, #2)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • The Only Victor (Richard Bolitho, #20)
  • Ramage & the Renegades (The Lord Ramage Novels, #12)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
1742099
A pseudonym used by Paul Bryers

Seth Hunter is the pseudonym of the author of a number of highly acclaimed and prize-winning adult and children's novels. He has written and directed many historical dramas for television, radio and the theatre and adapted and directed films by playwrights such as Arthur Miller and Michael Bulgakov. He is a member of The Writers Guild of Great Britain, the Director's
More about Seth Hunter...

Nathan Peake (6 books)
  • The Tide of War (Nathan Peake, #2)
  • The Price of Glory (Nathan Peake, #3)
  • The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4)
  • The Flag Of Freedom ( Nathan Peake, #5)
  • The Spoils of Conquest (Nathan Peake, #6)