Start by marking “The Cat in the Hat Comes Back” as Want to Read:
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back

(The Cat in the Hat)

The Cat in the Hat returns for more out-of-control fun in this wintry Beginner Book by Dr. Seuss.

It’s a snowy day and Dick and Sally are stuck shovelling . . . until the Cat in the Hat arrives to liven things up (to say the least!). Featuring the Cat’s helpers Little Cat A, Little Cat B, and so on through the alphabet, and ending with a gigantic Voom,

'The Cat in the Hat
Hardcover, Beginner Books, 63 pages
Published 2000 by Begginner Books (first published September 12th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat in the Hat Comes Back

Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks
The mischievous cat returns.

Along with it comes the alphabetical cats in successive hats. And more of everything.

Let me just me put is as this is the way of explaining Inception to 5 year olds.

Rhyming, repetitive and recurring lines cast the spell again!

PS : Wait, the goldfish did not return. I KNEW the cat ate it in the first part.
James
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Dr Seuss’ being the pen name under which Theodor Seuss Geisel wrote (taking his middle name and making full use of his Oxford University PhD in English literature) was the American born grandson of German immigrants to the US.

Beginning his career in the late 1920’s as an illustrator and cartoonist, it wasn’t until nearly 30 years later that Seuss produced his classic series of children’s books that so many of us know and love.

Never having the benefit of the books of Dr Seuss when I was a chil
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Better even than the original - The Cat in the Hat. This one is about snow: Sally and I are outside shovelling, making paths when the cat turns up.

He helps himself to a bath and eats cake - in the bath, which leaves a pink ring. The ring is cleaned by the cat with mother's new dress, and then I believe the pink is scrubbed off dad's shoes on to the bed, at which point the Cat calls in little Cats A, B, and C to help.

The pink is fan-blown? out the window, onto the snow, so more reinforcements a
Andrea Cox
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
by Andrea Renee Cox

What a cute ABC book! I hadn't read this Dr. Seuss book prior to now, surprisingly. I'm adding it to my to-purchase list, because it's very adorable and one I can imagine reading to any kids I may have down the road.

I was not compensated for my honest review.
Shirley Revill
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
My Grandchildren love this book so much that I'm thinking of leaving home if I have to read it yet again. I love this book really and it's great to watch their faces light up when this book appears.
Michael Finocchiaro
As much as I and my kids adored the original The Cat in the Hat, this followup (and I believe there were actually two or three others as well) paled in comparison to the original. That is not to say that it is not entertaining, but I'd rather go for Green Eggs and Ham or Horton Hears a Who than this one given the choice.
Erik Graff
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and adults who must read to them
Recommended to Erik by: Ms. McGrath
Shelves: art
Not as powerful as the original Cat in the Hat, but with all the inexorable poignancy of a repetition compulsion, The Cat in the Hat Comes Back draws the marrow from the bourgeois skeletons broken by his original foray into suburban America. Is this crisis or has it now become commentary?--or, more insidiously, is it both?

Subliminally compelling. The reason we lost China and Southeast Asia.
Scott
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cat in the hat is back with twenty-six other cats in hats and a voom, to wreak more havoc around the house before cleaning up after themselves.
A nice sequel to the original.
Joy Gerbode
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
March 2, 2015 ... re-read in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday.
Matthew
By the time I was in the 5th Grade, Dr. Seuss was pretty much out of my life. Sadly I hated reading when I was in Elementary School and I blame it solely on my education. When I was little we had this reading program in which you take this computer test in the beginning of the year and based on how well you do you get put into a certain level like lets say you are in 4th grade with a 6.2 score which means that you are reading on a 6th grade level and after that test you are supposedly to check o ...more
Steph Lomas
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back tells the story of the mischievous cat who returns to the house of Sally and her brother on a wintery, snowy day. The story begins when Sally’s mother goes to town and gives Sally and her brother the task of shovelling the snow. However, it is not long until the cat in the hat turns up and lets himself into their house. The book explains the journey Sally and her brother go through to remove the trace of the cat in the hat from their house before their mother return ...more
Andrew Christou
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Summary:

A mother has gone to town for the day, leaving her two children to clear the snow from the front garden. The narrator, an unnamed boy, and his sister Sally are working hard when the Cat In The Hat pops round for a friendly visit. Chaos ensues.

Review:

That mischievous Cat and his Hat!

There’s a reason why the Cat In The Hat has become an icon of children’s literature. This second instalment of the CITH series is a masterpiece. Zany through and through, it is a real joy to read.

A lot of the
Pooja
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I read it because I had to practice before I read it to Archit.

This book is way more fun than the Cat in the Hat. I want more of The Cat in The Hat with different seasons and different problems!!

I want Sally and her brother's Mom to go out more so they can have Cat in the Hat more with them. IS it too much to ask??

P.S. Archit, we are not so having the cat in the hat in our home!
Whenever we are out, we'll make sure that THIS cat doesn't come to our house, no matter what problems our children w
Jason
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well this is the last of my collection of Dr Seuss books :(

I enjoyed this one, the return of the cat in the hat. The real villain in the book is mum, she leaves her two small children to clear all the snow whilst she saunters off into to town. So the cat comes along to help, he makes a mess, he uses his usual techniques to clean up but ends up just making a mess. So he gets the cat in his hat, cat A to help who then gets cat B to help and so on up to cat Z.

The book is fun and also finds time to
Tim
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-dr-seuss
Inevitably, this book will be compared to its predecessor. Yet I am pleased to say that I have always liked this sequel better.
The idea of the story being centered around removing a pink ring in the bathtub is quite fun. Of course Dr. Seuss finds ways to educate the reader about household items in the alphabet in the process.
Ana
Yes, one should definitely shoot the spots. Get the cats to do it!
april.
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neeshma Nazar Ayyaril
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!
Gerry
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't even know that The Cat in the Hat had gone away, let alone come back ... but here he is again!

And he comes back to snowy times with Sally and her brother attempting to clear the snow away. When he appears Sally tells her brother not to talk to him because he 'plays lots of bad tricks'. The Cat lives up to form with a variety of naughty doings beginning with rushing into the house and getting in the bath with a huge cake to eat. Sally and her brother are annoyed and let the water out but
Jacob
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's not as memorable as the original Cat in the Hat, but I still had fun reading it. This Seuss sequel features the Cat returning to the same house on a snowy day, annoying the children once again with his fun and playful attitude. As the kids are wanting him out, a pink ring caused by the cat while eating a cake in the bathtub ends up on the tub after exiting. The cat finds a way to get rid of it but it starts to appear on other things as well. The cat has to rely on his other cat friends, who ...more
Heather
Every child needs to read the Cat in the Hat books. We've read this one many times. As the kids get older and are learning how to read, I have them tackle this book, among many others. The words are easy to sound out and are some of the most common words in the English language. And since they've heard the book so many times already, it's easier for them to read.

Besides, it's fun.
Katie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: easy-reader, kids
This is a really odd book, not in a good way either.
Maria Bulfamante
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The same storyline as the other Dr.Seuss books except this one is more exciting and fun!
Neda
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe it's another good book to teach ABCs to children..
It's also very funny & full of surprises..
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I dislike this enough that I never read it to my kids. I like my kids.
Elijah Libert
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked it because he always does something bad, but it always turns out good in the end.
Shawn Thrasher
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always get the impression that no one likes The Cat in the Hat Comes Back as much as they like The Cat in the Hat. But as a kid I always liked the second book much better than the first one. In the first book, this monstrous "cat" invades and terrorizes the two kids - and their poor bullied fish - in their own home. Their place of safety was breached. I think that is what i always found so off putting as a little beginning reader forty years ago. But in the second book, tmost of the book takes ...more
Becca
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't know The Cat in the Hat had a sequel! What a marvelous discovery.

I went to my aunt's house in search of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (My library is out of copies! Apparently Christmas time is not the best time for me to decide that I must read it.) Anyway, I spent the evening reading her entire collection of Dr. Seuss books. I really have the most awesome relatives!
Ryan K
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The thrilling return of a true hero of our modern era. Dr. Seuss has truly exceeded the expectations of mankind.
Sheila
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-aloud
My daughter received this for Christmas so I just read it aloud to her. A nice continuation on the Cat in The Hat story. She enjoys the rhymes.
Was the cat actually a pedophile? 8 114 Jan 31, 2014 06:17AM
Seuss Lovers: The Cat in the Hat Comes Back! 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 07:18PM
Booooooookkkkkkkkkkkksssssss 3 18 Oct 19, 2007 08:17AM
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet
  • Flap Your Wings

The Cat in the Hat (2 books)
  • The Cat in the Hat