Start by marking “Batman: Monsters” as Want to Read:
Batman: Monsters

Batman: Monsters (Legends of the Dark Knight (1989) #71-73,83-84,89-90)

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In this new collection of supernatural tales, Batman is first called to London to investigate a series of murders that seem to have been committed by a werewolf. Then, he must battle a pair of bioengineered soldiers-turned-killing-machines -- or die trying. And in the final story in this volume, Batman faces one of his oldest foes: Clayface!

Collecting BATMAN: LEGENDS OF TH
Published November 3rd 2009 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Sam Quixote
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Batman: Monsters collects 1990s Legends of the Dark Knight comics that have a weak “creature” link between them. The Legends of the Dark Knight series supposedly focused on Batman’s early years when he started out, but you couldn’t tell with the generic, throwaway Batman stories in this volume.

The first, by James Robinson, sees Batman visiting London to fight “werewolves”. Robinson was never the best Batman writer and having a stereotypical foggy London and blandly “monstrous” werewolves in the
Adam Stone
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A few years ago, I made a chronology for how to read modern Batman. I was focused quite a bit on creating the order, as opposed to just reading the books for enjoyment, so now I'm going back to see how the chronology holds up.

This collection wasn't available when I first created the chronology. But it's a fun run of stories from the 90s Legends Of The Dark Knight series by some of the more famous writers currently in comics.

I find much of James Robinson's work to be uneven, at best. But his Were
Will
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The stories in this book appeared in publication order, which was a mistake. James Robinson's Werewolf was not the story to open with: neither the characters nor the story are engaging, and it is too long. (However, it has a couple of surprising similarities with "The Hounds of Baskerville," the episode of Sherlock that would air 17 years after the publications of these issues.) Next came Warren Ellis's Infected, which was why I bought this collection in the first place, years ago. This story is ...more
Chantay
I read anything with Batman in it even when I shouldn't. I trudged through reading Batman turning into a vampire, because well the man has been my favorite (vigilant) super hero. I don't enjoy seeing Batman up against the paranormal. I enjoy reading about him actually going up the villains created for him to fight. They are more entertaining and have more depth. Horror and Batman just don't mix.
Michael
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
These three stories aren't too bad. They should be considering the quality of the names lined up here. Alan Grant's Clayface effort is the best of the trio - the script and art are both pretty good. But what is the point of this book? No self respecting Batman fan is going to want to buy a book containing three random stories. The stories are ok but nothing special - so it's not as if this is a cherry picking selection. So a star deducted for stupid marketeering.
Dean
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad set of stories. The GN itself is poor, no effort made with an intro, epilogue, anything, just straight reprints, including covers. The stories are all decent enough, moody writing and art, and some nice early turns by James Robinson, Warren Ellis, and Alan Grant. The clay face story is probably the best, though I do like the werewolf in London turn from Robinson. A little cliched, but enjoyable. Probably one for Bat completists only.
Steven Shinder
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Batman fighting monsters is not concept unheard of. A couple of 1939 comics had him pit against a vampire called The Monk, who is able to command werewolves. The stories here are enjoyable, but they do not really stand out as other Batman stories do.
Fugo Feedback
Apr 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
Me parece que todavía no leí ninguno de los números que componen este tomo, pero pinta interesante. Creo también que no incluye "Batman Alas", que ECC Sudamérica sacó en revista hace poco. Pero en el caso de que sí lo incluya, van mis tres estrellitas provisorias.
Caleb
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Long-winded review here (Please note: there's some swearing...chances are there will be swearing in anything I link to, so if you don't like that, don't follow links from here):

Devowasright
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
not the best collection ever, i can safely say. it was quite interesting to read something of warren ellis' that was this old (i really haven't read much of his pre-transmet stuff), and his story alone bumps this up to three stars.
SCLS Librarian Diane Valentine
The best story was the one with Clayface - the others were meh
Mohammad Aboomar
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
These are solid detective stories. No bullshit!
Wolverina
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The Ellis story is the only one worth reading and that is certainly not Ellis at his best.
Timo
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Some of the best John McCrea art I have ever seen.
Jim
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The story by James Robinson is quite good, but the other two stories were mediocre.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Valissa
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
as much as I perversely adore Warren Ellis, this was a sad adaption for the Batman. I hold out hope for Neil
Gaiman . . .
Niloufar
rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2017
  • Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet
  • Batman: Night Cries
  • Batman and the Mad Monk
  • Batman: The Chalice
  • King Tut's Tomb (Batman Confidential #6)
  • Batman: Gotham Underground
  • Batman: Strange Apparitions
  • Batman: Full Circle
  • Batman: Hush Returns
  • Batman: The Many Deaths of the Batman
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson

Legends of the Dark Knight (1989) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Batman: Prey
  • Batman International
  • Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 3: KnightsEnd (New Edition)
  • Robin: The Teen Wonder
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1 (New Edition)
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2 (New Edition)
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 (New Edition)
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4 (New Edition)
  • Batman: The Ring, the Arrow, and the Bat