Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny

(Nightside #10)

John Taylor, the PI with a knack for finding things, gets a visit from Walker-the powerful, never-to-be-trusted agent who runs the Nightside on behalf of The Authorities. He tells John he's dying, and wants to offer him an important job: "His...."
Published January 5th 2010 by Ace Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny

Andrew
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
And so its time to return to finishing off series - and todays challenge is Simon R Green's highly entertaining Nightside series.

The series comprises of 12 books (and a number of short stories too). Now there is a loose story arc running through the books (well there has been for the first 10 at least) however there are side stories going on and the fact that the story is pretty loose means you can enter the series at any place and not feel you are missing something vital.

That said the series i
Catherine Ford
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Amazing as always. I even cried in this one.
Just read the series my friends, I can't recommend these books enough.
Donna
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
John Taylor is hired to escort an elf with a secret across the Nightside, and then he joins a rival, Larry Oblivion, to find out what really happened to Larry's brother Tommy during the Lilith War.

It felt like three separate short stories. There's the story of John and the elf, that mostly seemed like setup for a plot that didn't continue during the rest of this novel. Then there's a story about how Larry Oblivion got his weapon, which was nearly a third of the book jarringly told from Larry's p
Bastard
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was ok

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny is the tenth novel by Simon R. Green in the Nightside series; enter at your own peril. I would have shortened the title to The Bad as this book is simply, well, bad.

This is the part of the review in which I give you the setup of the novel, well can't really do that here. I can tell you this much, it has an 80 page introductory portion, including about 40 pages of an entertaining action packed car chase. Only that by
Alondra
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
4 Stars

Well, now you've done it John Taylor!

I could see the set up... this is how it all ends. I mean, this ending is how it begins. I really love this character and hope that when it does end, that he gets redeemed. It's not his fault, it's destiny. Mmmm
Eliabeth Hawthorne
-Simon is an intelligent, eloquent and well read writer able to casually throw in references to Dante’s Inferno, Macbeth and the Bible without sounding pretentious. I’m almost certain there are other references in there I overlooked.

-Please note I picked this book up without reading any of the previous novels and keep that in mind when reading this review.

In a tucked away part of London where nightmares run wild and things are rarely what they seem, John Taylor is a PI with a sordid past. Bored
Jason
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
5 Stars

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny by Simon R. Green is book number 10 in the Nightside series. I really enjoyed this book and it was one of the darker books of the series. The Nightside series is one of my favorite today and a perfect example of how good the Urban Fantasy genre can be. I would read about John Taylor everyday if I could.

These stories are classic noir like private eye mysteries in an urban fantasy setting. They are perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot
MissM
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
It's an entertaining crime noir meets modern fantasy fiction series but after ten other books, some of the descriptions are frustratingly repetitive. This far into the series, I think we all know about the dark nature of the Nightside and we don't need to be reminded about all the various forms of sin and suffering over and over again. A lot of the descriptions felt like a copy-and-paste from previous books and a little like filler.

Also filler-ish was the first job Taylor takes on in this instal
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Definitely not the strongest in the series. It actually took about half the book to just get past the set-up and exposition - which is rare. It didn't help that Larry Oblivion isn't really the most interesting of secondary characters - we need more Dead Boy, Razor Eddie, and Susie Shooter.

That said, I wouldn't call this book filler as much as set-up. It's certainly set up some interesting things which will definitely have consequences to-come and oculd lead to some very fun/dangerous things.
Soo
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

In many ways, this also felt like a filler novel in the series but several plot points are wrapped up in a fashion that one would call 'a very Nightside' manner. There's a portion where I was a little confused because I was wondering why JT would act like that but it wasn't JT at all. That portion was about Larry. Duh. One of the downsides of the way Marc Vietor chooses to narrate the story.

If I keep this meandering pace up, I may finish up the series before the year is out. =D
Audrey
The Nightside's one of my favorite places to visit, but this time it really managed to piss me off.

It wasn't the plot, which started out with a bang and then spent 150 pages whimpering, which I could bear with because let's face it, it's tough to keep a series fresh by the 10th book. It wasn't the writing, which remains clean and liquid (although someone should do a wordcount on the next ms. for blossoms that are "pulpy"). No, it was the book's treatment of women.

Look: I get that this is a P.I.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
It's good to see that the Nightside is picking up some steam again. I didn't know if it could go any longer after the Lilith War and so far the stories have been decent (just decent as compared to the more exciting ones previously) and you could tell that there was something tying them together but was suffering from a lack of completion.

In this one, things are coming to a head. Walker is Walker to the very end and John Taylor, well he's John Taylor. You'll know what I'm talking about if you rea
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the tenth, yes the tenth, book in the Nightside series by Simon Green. While the last couple books in the series have been a bit less spectacular than the rest of the series, this book picks up the slack and starts a wonderful new storyline.

The book starts out with John Taylor being hired to help an elf deliver an elven peace treaty across the Nightside (what is it about Green and his evil elves?). Anyway Walker doesn't want the treaty delivered and tries to stop John. At the conclusion
LJ
First Sentence: This is the Nightside.

Things are changing in Nightside. An elf—never trust an elf—hires PI John Taylor as an escort across Night. Then Larry Oblivion, the Dead Detective, asks to help him find his brother who disappeared during the Lilith War. But the biggest concern is Walker, who runs Nightside on behalf of the Authorities. He wants to retire and have PI John Taylor assume his position.

A book with a compelling opening is a joy, and Green writes great openings. I am always stagg
Bryce
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Tristan MacAvery
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not giving away anything like a spoiler to tell you that this book ends with a blackmail-like demand that you go immediately to read the next one in the series. No blackmail to the characters or anything like that. No, the book ends with a sentence that will force you, without mercy, to go get the next book.

The thrill-ride to get to that sentence is brilliant, convoluted, rife with suggestion and double-dealing, and going places that you didn't quite expect. In other words, another great ent
Kristin
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed #10. It has the right combination of characters, tongue in cheek humor, philosophical reflection, and action to make this a page turner for me. And the ending did - and didn't - surprise me. The reader who's read these in order will know what is coming, but how it comes about is rather fascinating.

My one complaint, and it's not really much of one, was the repetition. Still with the "I opened my private eye, my third eye...". Some of the descriptions of Nightside I've felt I've
Joshua
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has enjoyed the rest of the "Nightside" series
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I will say this, The Good, the Bad and the Uncanny, the 10th book in the Nightside series, was a lot of fun and a great reminder of why I love and still continue to read each of the books right when they're released. However, now 10 books in, I find a lot of the repetitive nature in these books quite tiresome. To be fair, I've been feeling this way probably since the 4th book. By now, readers should know how dark the Nightside is and how grumpy PI John Taylor is, and how everyone fears him, and ...more
Eric Moreno
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ladiibbug
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
#10 Nightside series - UF

Superbly imaginative, this is one of the more enjoyable of The Nightside series books. The author pulls out every bizarre, macabre, thrilling and engrossing character and situation out of his hat this time.

This was heading toward a rare 5 stars until Excalibur (the sword) and a bit of King Arthur came up.

This is a definite reread, maybe even a rare permanent collection book. I was surprised that #11 The Bride Wore Black Leather is the end of The Nightside seri
Graylark
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Kat
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vividness is what I like most about Mr.Green. Opening the pages gives me clear pictures of characters in conversation and in action. Not to mention the witty sarcasm. Haven't finished this book yet but I'm already giving the highest possible rating. In case I wouldn't be as satisfied with the plot, the writing already made up for it. 6 out of 5 stars if the whole story would be good.

Looking forward to more of his stories. This is my first Simon Green and Nightside, by the way. Another lucky fin
Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

The Oblivion brothers, Walker, and a new job proposal for John.

The story wasn't horrible. Finally got more information about the Oblivion brothers.

I missed a lot of the supporting characters but I have a feeling this book is mostly to set for the next two books. Or at least book 11.
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Excellent return to the Nightside after a few lackluster books in the series. John finds himself sent around the Nightside trying to help an elf (who can never be trusted anyway) and also tries to find out what happened to his friend Tommy Oblivion during the Wars. Along the way, he finds out that nothing - even what he thought could always be trusted - is not what it seems.

Kat  Hooper
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Same as the last book which was the same as the book before that which was the same as the book before that.
Ben Truong
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny is the tenth book in the Nightside Series written by Simon R. Green and centered on John Taylor, the main protagonist, who is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things.

Things are looking good and going well for John Taylor – too well. His relationship with Shotgun Suzie has grown intimate and he has got enough money that he can pick and choose cases that he finds interesting and nothing major has happened to the Nightside recent
Michael Mc Donnell
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reecha Dixit
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I had no idea this was a series and only read this book after I bought it at an book sale from the library at my University. First thing about this book: incredibly captivating. There is just something about the authors language and writing style that just grabs the attention of the reader. Second: I loved the main character. You could tell that one of the most solid and continuously well written characters of the book was Mr. Taylor. Third: the action sequence of the book could go on for pages ...more
Banshee
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
John Taylor has been hired by an elf to get him safely through Nightside. Walker wants to arrest him instead so he sends numerous people after John. Once John finishes this job he has been asked to look for Larry Oblivion’s brother who disappeared during the Lilith War. Walker helps by giving some tidbits of information, but Walker really has a different agenda, to get John to agree to be the next Authority agent after Walker dies.

This was another good novel in the series. I thought the beginni
Chrissie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok

This series is so damn repetitive, it's annoying.

This really isn't a series to binge read like I'm trying to do. Ten books in and I'm so over the Nightside and John Taylor, but, I've made it this far, I can do two more books, right? Right?!

This one had no plot. Walker is dying. Tommy Oblivion is still lost and Taylor is hired to find him. The sword Excalibur is mentioned. There were moments I enjoyed, like the car chase at the beginning, but most of this book was a struggle to get through.

Suzi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Vampires, Weres a...: A Year in the Nightside: October 1 8 Oct 01, 2018 06:51AM

• Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Mean Streets
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • MythOS (Webmage, #4)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
“My Suzie, also known as Shotgun Suzie, also known as Oh Christ It's Her, Run.” 13 likes
“Never go anywhere without condiments. Condiments are our friends.” 8 likes