Start by marking “Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers” as Want to Read:
Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers

Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers

Good books are often good friends. Because gifted readers often intensely identify with characters, good books can provide bridges to new insights and better communication of feelings, values, and decision making, while also fostering intellectual and creative development. Now in its third edition, Some of My Best Friends Are Books describes: Intellectual and emotional ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 574 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Great Potential Pr., Inc. (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Some of My Best Friends Are Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some of My Best Friends Are Books

Start your review of Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers
Kirsten
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only after I looked on Goodreads did I realize there is a newer edition of this book. My library system only has copies of the 2nd edition. Unfortunately, I don't think that this book is good enough to warrant chasing down the 3rd edition.

I am particularly interested in thinking about how to choose books for a gifted reader who is reading well beyond grade level, and I somehow didn't find that in these pages. There is barely any connection between the discussion of giftedness and the annotated
Nathan Albright
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2017
Admittedly, I am not a parent, teacher, librarian, or counselor, except that I have my own library of some considerable size [1]. On the other hand, I was clearly a gifted child and an avid reader from my youth, and in many ways this book gives me mixed emotions. For example, on the one hand this book reminds me of my own youth, in commenting on the sensitivity of gifted children, on their asynchronous maturity in intellectual, emotional, and physical spheres, in the fact that such people are ...more
Beth
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This would likely earn 4 stars for many readers (perhaps especially librarians and teachers) but a fair amount of the book was just too (overly) analytical for me as a parent. I did find the suggestions on finding age appropriate books for early readers and the discussion of reading's impact on development helpful. The largest section of the book, an annotated bibliography, with suggestions of books for different ages was also useful. But the more in-depth analysis of what elements make a good ...more
Cecilia Chrapkowska
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Wonderful book that encourages parents of curious, imaginative, sensitive children with a large appetite for reading to develop a life-long relationship to reading. As a native Swedish speaker, I could not use most of the book lists at the end of the book when my children were young as they did not master English yet and surprisingly few of the recommended books were translated into Swedish.
Nicole
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book that offers both insight into the minds of gifted individuals and information on the importance of reading. The annotated bibliography is incredibly well done but it's just a small offering of the millions of excellent books out there for young readers. Worth checking out if you're a parent or educator!
Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book and a great resource. I enjoyed all the anecdotes and examples. My "to-read" list has lengthened considerably, both for professional and personal reading.
Joy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Read again to get ideas for books for children to read.
Sara
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a wealth of information for educators of gifted students and school librarians (as well as public librarians). Though the first two parts are only 74 pages, there is a lot of condensed and easily digestible information and background knowledge in these portions. As a school librarian, I was a bit afraid that these two portions would outweigh the bibliography portion, but I was wrong. The information provided is in brief parts that really hits the important details without going on ...more
Terry
Starts off slow and has all the same info as a typical book about gifted children, which was a little disheartening. Once you get going though, there's lots of useful info for ALL children, not just exceptional readers. Must read for teachers and parents alike.

Had some trouble here - this is a 3rd edition with added stuff, but only the 2nd is on Goodreads....same ISBN's though! Eek.

If you've read lots on gifted students, just start at chapter 3. Very useful info with lots of ideas on books and
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, gifted
I read the first half of the book, then skimmed the rest. Much of the text discusses overexcitabilities of gifted children and challenges they face, how to set up and lead a reading group for children, and the successes of bibliotherapy. The annotated bibliography is in the final chapter, and is a wonderful list of recommended books for preschoolers to teenagers. There is a summary of each book, with ideas on themes to look for and discuss.

I would love to see an updated edition of this book, as
Grace
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
The bibliography of recommended reading for kids is worth 5 stars. But I had to bump it down because of the "gifted kids are such a put-upon minority" slant of the book. I found that annoying, but that's a value judgment. If you have a gifted kid in your household, you should definitely read this book and give them the bibliography of recommended books. The book recoomends some real gems, both old and new books.
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Jennifer by: an article
This needs to be required reading for all parents-to-be! I wish I'd read it 12 years ago. What a fabulous resource! Filled with fascinating characteristics of gifted people, lists of challenges they face, and strategies they need to learn to meet those challenges. Then, a fabulous compendium of excellent literature and talking points to help gifted kids learn the suggested skills and strategies. WOW!! I'm in love with this book. It's a must-own for this die-hard library user.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this-it's a great reference for those who have kids that devour books. They list lots of my personal favorites-the only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is that they didn't list some of the books I thought they should have.
Their descriptions of "gifted" are far more accurate in my opinion than those who are tested for their gifts. Hello!!!
Jenny
Feb 04, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, educators, librarians, gifted-education specialists, therapists, psychologists
A great resource for parents, educators, and librarians, the book discusses at length many ways books can be used to support emotional and intellectual development. The nearly 200-page annotated bibliography describes recommended books for each reading level and has provided an essential library "shopping list."
Jessica
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read! Most of the book is book recommendations for various ages, which are of course helpful, but the first 100 pages or so discuss emotional, social, and other needs of gifted children. I feel like I understand Emma so much better now!I highly recommend it to anyone who has a gifted child or an avid reader.
Catherine
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish my parents had had this book when I was growing up! Thoughtfully chosen books lists that consider possible theraputic aspects of books, given the intense way that many gifted readers interact with books. Excellent discussion of general Gifted issues regarding education, emotions, etc. A must read for a family with a gifted reader.
Greg
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While ostensibly targeted to parents of gifted readers, this book has advice and book lists for all kinds of readers. Indeed, while my less-geeky friends mock my love for books-about-books, this volume goes one more meta: by naming many other books-about-books, it becomes a "book-about-books-about-books".
Marissa Morrison
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I skipped all the stuff about giftedness and went straight to the list of books recommended for preschoolers. It's a wonderful list, including many older books that aren't necessarily to be found on the shelf at the local library. I'll definitely want to check this book out once a year to reserve more recommended titles as my kids approach each age level.
Alison
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
For someone who loves books the concept of bibliotherapy is immensely appealing. While I did first pick this up because of my gifted reader, I've found some gems for my reluctant reader, too. Books teaching lessons are always winners for me.
Amanda
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting. I loved all the information about the value of books for both gifted children and all children! I liked how it encouraged parents to help their kids find books to read to help them keep growing their reading ability and depth.
Meredith Henning
This is a must-have book list book, it really has alot of information packed into it and the version I have is from 1999 and I am anxiously awaiting the new revision for 2009 available soon on amazon :) I plan to review this on my blog soon, stay tuned!
Jenny
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
(I have a newer addition.) Love this book. It is full of great information on why reading is so important, how to use books to help your children, and it provides a great bibliography of suggested books for certain age groups.
Alenna
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wasn't as impressed with the reading lists in this book as I was with the ones in Honey for a Child's Heart. And a lot of the information deals with children in schools, not homeschooled children. But it was still a good resource book.
Nicole
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Useful! Includes description of giftedness and how to recommend books to gifted kids. Tags book recommendations with things like "Dealing with loneliness" and "Features gifted adults".

Con: All recommended books published before 2011.

Brenda
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good resource no matter whether your child has been identified as gifted or not. A little "textbook"-ish at times but I found the Annotated Bibliography with suggested for different age levels most helpful.
Jen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOTS of great books listed in here for kids. Lists the book and brief descriptions of each, and what age they are appropriate for. Read this again in a couple years to pick out books for the kids' summer reading.
Lisa
Nov 17, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have to put this on for the great title!
Kim Austin Forrest
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This will be a useful resource to share with parents. I plan to use it to guide my read-aloud choices in the classroom. It has great suggestions.
Joel Simon
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent guide for helping your kids select good books. Annotated, and organized by subject/type. Highly recommended.
Linda Carlson
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Fabulous book for parents and educators. Especially helpful for the parents of bright kids.

• Första hjälpen vid matbordet : om barns matkrångel, näringsbehov och smakfavoriter
  • Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too
  • Mera vego: Mat för hela familjen
  • Vi ska ha barn: Handbok i jämställt föräldraskap
  • Krokodilens vändkrets
  • Beyond the Bright Sea
  • Living with Intensity
  • The 4 Hour Work Week: Book Summary - Timothy Ferriss - Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich! (The 4-Hour Workweek 1)
  • A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
  • Systems Approaches to Managing Change: A Practical Guide
  • From China with Love: A Long Road to Motherhood
  • First Steps in Parenting the Child who Hurts: Tiddlers and Toddlers
  • Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
“Mature readers consider reading an integral part of life. It is not something they do only to relax or to escape or if there is nothing good on television. It is something they plan for in each day, and if the day develops so that they have no time for it, they may become restless, rather like joggers who miss their run. Some - busy parents, for example - stay up late at night to read their daily quota after the house is quiet, acknowledging that having balance in their lives is more dependent on reading time than on sleep.” 3 likes