Start by marking “The Magic Finger” as Want to Read:
The Magic Finger

The Magic Finger

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  27,757 ratings  ·  1,587 reviews
What happens when the hunter becomes the hunted?

To the Gregg family, hunting is just plain fun. To the girl who lives next door, it's just plain horrible. She tries to be polite. She tries to talk them out of it, but the Greggs only laugh at her. Then one day the Greggs go too far, and the little girl turns her Magic Finger on them. When she's very, very angry, the little
Published April 5th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Finger, please sign up.
Khadiyya She didn't because she is afraid of how much power her magic finger contains and als she can't control it,so she could harm herself or other people…moreShe didn't because she is afraid of how much power her magic finger contains and als she can't control it,so she could harm herself or other people she loves.(less)
Valen.Burgardt The girl has the magic finger. When she gets very angry, the girl's magic finger takes over

·  27,757 ratings  ·  1,587 reviews

Start your review of The Magic Finger
Lily C
Lol, 1st book for the Booktube-A-Thon complete!
Mischenko
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can also read my review @https://readrantrockandroll.wordpress...

The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl is a story about a girl with a magic finger. She lives next door to the Gregg family who like to hunt for fun and this makes her very angry. She doesn’t think it’s right for people to hunt animals for fun and when she gets angry, her finger takes control. Her magic finger has a special lesson in store, but the big problem is not knowing exactly what will happen when she uses it.

The story teaches a
Starjustin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Written in 1964 Roald Dahl's 'The Magic Finger' is a lesson well taught through a little girls magical finger. This lovely children's book is illustrated throughout by Quentin Blake.
This was my second Roald Dahl book and I am looking forward to reading many more. Highly recommended!
Ahmad Sharabiani
The magic finger, Roald Dahl
The Magic Finger is a fantasy story written by Roald Dahl in 1962. It was first published in the United States, by Harper & Row in 1966, as a picture book illustrated by William Pène du Bois. The Magic Finger is narrated by an eight-year-old girl growing up on a farm in the English countryside, next door to the Gregg family who have a passion for hunting. The titular "Magic Finger" is an ability she has that activates inadvertently whenever she gets intensely
Miranda Reads
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Remind me not to piss off this girl

The Girl with the Magic Finger often lashes out. She can't help it - if she gets mad at an injustice, her finger does something...magical. She did it once to a terrible teacher - with disastrous consequences. She tries her best to avoid using it but sometimes, it just happens.

The Gregg family loves to hunt - oftentimes for sport rather than need - and the poor girl has to watch them bring in all these dead animals every week. She witnesses the Gregg family
Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
There is a girl who has a magical finger. We don't know her name. Anyway, it doesn't matter because she is just a narrator of the book.
This book is about Mr. Gregg and his family. They hunt for pleasure. The Girl, our narrator, forbids them but they don't listen. And by accident, her finger magically turns them into the bird.
After that they face hardships of bird's life and get to know that how it feels to face a gun.

This is a children book. I read it for my younger cousin for his school's
Mir
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger
No hunting! It is mean! Plus, you never know when your psycho neighbor is going to flip out and and punish you with her "Magic Finger" (does that sound dirty to anyone else?). Better to stay inside where it's safe. Don't answer the door to any kids, or ducks.

This seems preachier than is the norm for Dahl. The magic isn't developed, and we don't spend enough time with the narrator to know her or care about her. The way in which the narrator characterized her magic finger as something outside
Michael Finocchiaro
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stay out of her way - or she'll zap you! The book The Magic Finger is a wonderful story about controlling your temper from the ever-exuberant and humorous Roald Dahl. Up there in the second tier of my favourite Dahl books!
Sam Quixote
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I remember not liking The Magic Finger as a kid despite being a huge Roald Dahl fan but I couldn’t quite put my finger (ahhh!) on why, so I thought I’d re-read it to see if maybe my view on it has changed - and it hasn’t!

A girl - who’s such a non-character she doesn’t even have a name; if she did it’d be “Plot Contrivance”! - has a magic finger that does magic when she gets angry and points it at people. She points it at a local family who enjoy duck hunting, turning them into ducks to be
James
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Not Roald Dahl at his finest - nevertheless a good short entertaining book with the usual great illustrations by Quentin Blake.

For anyone who doesn't agree with hunting birds for 'sport'.......

For anyone who ever got angry and wanted revenge.......
Mariah Roze
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I really enjoyed this story! It was a fast, easy read that was very entertaining.

This story would be a perfect fantasy story about animal rights. The main character lives next door to a family that loves to hunt birds. She doesn't like that they are hurting animals, so she tries to talk them out of it, but they only laugh at her. Then one day the family goes too far and kills a ton of birds. This makes the main character angry and when she is angry her finger starts to tingle. She didn't mean to
Ferdy
Not my favourite Roald Dahl, it wasn't quite as magical or memorable as Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, nevertheless it was still a quick, fun story about talking ducks and a girl with a magic finger.
Matt
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: children-s, audiobook
On this mini-binge of Dahl writing, I came across this short story that speaks volumes to the younger generation. Our young narrator speaks about the Gregg family, known for their hunting trips that scare much of the wildlife in the area. The reader learns of a secret power possessed by the narrator, whereby an itching feeling from the tip of the finger leads to a small white flash and then all is changed for the better. During one of their hunts, the Greggs are unknowingly zapped by this ...more
B Schrodinger
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I never got around to reading this one as a kid - the library didn't have a copy and it looks like I never found it in a second-hand bookstore. Did I miss out on anything? No.

The Magic Finger is the story of an unnamed girl. The girl has a magic finger which blasts people for being asses. There's a little backstory, how she got her teacher, and then it's onto the main event - a hunter and his boys who shoot ducks. This makes the girl angry!

Simple, moral, a touch of Dahl. But, despite the title,
Trish
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's almost tradition that the first book of the year is one by Roald Dahl. This year, I've chosen a book about an 8-year-old girl that remains unnamed (first-person narrator), who lives next door to a family with two boys. Both boys go hunting with their dad every day, which doesn't sit right with the girl since killing animals just for fun is wrong (I completely agree).
But this is no normal girl because she has the titular magic finger and when she gets angry ...

The story is a classic but no
Renée Paule
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just listened to this on YouTube ... another brilliant story from Roald Dahl.
Jules
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Magic Finger was another long distance buddy read with my seven year old niece, Daisy. We both enjoyed this, but not as much as Esio Trot. Daisy loved that Mr and Mrs Gregg changed their surname to Egg. We both thought it was a shame that Girl didn’t have a proper name of her own, so we decided to call her Maddy Finkley, as it sounds a little bit like magic finger. I can certainly think of a few occasions in the past when a magic finger would have come in useful. Overall, this was a 4 star ...more
Joey Woolfardis
One of the more unknown of Dahl's stories and one I hadn't actually heard of before, but then I'm not so well versed in Roald Dahl's works as I always thought I was.

It's a good storyline with a lovely moral, but still quite simplified and I think maybe more could have been made of it. Perhaps, because of the theme of guns and hunting, it needed to be shorter for a children's book. It was written much like his others, so there is not much to compare with, but it lacked the whimsy and grace as his
Grapeseed22
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished The Magic Finger by Raold Dahl in only 28 minutes! It's great! I have whole set of Roald Dahl books! And I have seen most of the movies!The Magic Finger is a great juvenile fiction. These kind of short stories are the best ones! THUMBS UP ...more
Quirkyreader
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This funny short novel was about animal rights.
Jul 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a girl who punishes a family who hunts using her magic finger. In the end, the family vows never to hunt again. But my question still remains: plenty of people who read this book eat meat, yet agree that the hunters should be punished. But should they? What's the difference between eating meat and hunting your own meat? At least they know the animals weren't tortured or abused. Maybe I'm reading too much into this...
Angel Gelique
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What goes around, comes around in this incredible story by the very talented Roald Dahl.
Emily B
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Nice short read with a clear moral
dianne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wish i wish i wish i had a magic finger (or fist?). Our protagonista doesn't categorize herself, but to me she is a powerful good witch. Hunting, for fun,* yuck -the thought is simply inter-species rudeness on a didn't-your-mother-teach-you-anything? level.
Our heroine combines her supernatural gifts with fantastic logical consequences for adults - all in the name of one love. A lovely fable.

*not for survival
Ashley Daviau
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think part of the magic of Roald Dahl is that you’re never too old to enjoy his stories! No matter how old you are, they’re just so fun to read and to get into. What I particularly enjoy about this story is the way things are turned around on the bad guys, they have a taste of their own medicine and realize how hard it is to swallow. But despite having a moral, the story is still so lighthearted and fun!
Ceri
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a short story which can easily be read to a child in one sitting, with lots of pictures. The story is an anti-hunting for sport story, where a family who hunt get an idea of how it must feel to be their prey. My children (aged 8 and 6) really enjoyed this story.
Nigel
More bedtime reading fun to my little ones. This one a short read with an anti-gun and hunting message
steph // bookplaits
In three words: endearing, funny, quick.

“‘Oh, that Magic Finger!’ I cried. 'What has it done to my friends?’"

I hunted for a Roald Dahl book to read for September (in anticipation of Roald Dahl Day on the author’s birthday, 13 September), and ended up finding The Magic Finger at home, tucked away on a rather neglected bookshelf.

This book tells the tale of a little girl with a Magic Finger; when she gets angry, her Magic Finger flashes and the person (or people) her anger is directed at get
Morgan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread this because I actually forgot most of the book. I had this read to me in elementary school and all I remember was a girl with magic powers. I think I liked it better after a second read. I had forgotten she turned a family into ducks.
Roxana Truţa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a specific moment from my childhood this book reminded me about.

I was playing in my room with my two little cousins, who are 5 and 6 years younger than I am - and were at the time too, obviously -, and one of them was very violent towards a plastic deer I used to love. He kept removing that poor toy's ears, and my heart sank with each tug of his annoying little hands. Noticing I was probably on the verge of tears but silent (because I was the big cousin, therefore should always be
Book Review - ronan -mrs pettigrew 1 1 Nov 22, 2017 08:33PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 7 - The Magic Finger 1 10 Sep 03, 2014 02:26PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review: The Magic Finger By Roald Dahl 1 7 Aug 29, 2014 04:20AM
Love A Good Book: The Magic Finger 1 8 May 25, 2013 05:08PM

• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • ماتیلدا
  • The Boy in the Dress
  • RatBurger
  • Cliffhanger (Adventure, #1)
  • The Cat Mummy
  • The Story of Noah
  • No Kiss For Mother
  • Fall Walk
  • Fireworks nº 02/02
  • Bunga Api, Lihat dari Bawah atau Sisi? (01)
  • Building Family Ties with Faith, Love, and Laughter

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as A Piece of Cake. The story, about his wartime
“four corners of the earth!” 0 likes