Start by marking “Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women” as Want to Read:
Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women

Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women

"Hirshfield's current collection brings together . . . an astonishing array of women writers from the 22nd century BC poet Enheduanna to Nelly Sachs and Anna Akhmatova."--Library Journal
Published January 19th 1995 by Harper Perennial (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Women in Praise of the Sacred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women in Praise of the Sacred

Hope Struck
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a beating heart
Recommended to Hope by: i found it!
Shelves: poetry
i checked this out from the library.
next, i will buy it.
then, i will roll around on top of this book and rub it all over my face. i will shower in this book for the rest of my stinkin life. that's how much i love this book. fyi.
AnandaTashie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, poetry
A combination of spiritual poetry and history of the poets. Really expansive, beautiful, informative collection.

My favorites were:

p 21, Zi Ye
All night I could not sleep / because of the moonlight on my bed. / I kept on hearing a voice calling: / Out of Nowhere, Nothing answered "yes."

p 31, Gnostic Gospel - Nag Hammadi Library
I am the incomprehensible silence / and the memory that will not be forgotten. / I am the voice whose sound is everywhere / and the speech that appears in many forms. / I a
Nina Cooper
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I loved most about this book is that it is about women who experience spirituality and express it in their poetry. This is not a collection of Christian ideas, although they play an important role in it too. Instead, there are many poems from pre-Christian times, just as from other religions and eras. The common theme, according to the title, is the 'praise of the sacred'. I was not always sure about the meaning of 'sacred', and would have rather preferred 'spirituality', but this isjust a ...more
Gina Herald

that the Truthful One
found me,
I was at home."
-Lal Ded

l view this work as women coming home to themselves, and their gifts. I can only hope for so much in this alienating and deeply confused time to be alive. This is a wonderful guidebook to return to for that purpose.

This celebrates turbulence, cycles, gentleness, shameless exuberance, empathy, and many of the human traits that are culturally notated as feminine. Whether
Carrie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Such a breadth of cultures and time and yet some things never change, as Sumangalamata made very clear in her poem that reads, "At last free, at last I am a woman free! No more tied to the kitchen, stained amid the stained pots, no more bound to the husband who thought me less than the shade he wove with his hands. No more anger, no more hunger, I sit now in the shade of my own tree. Meditating thus, I am happy, I am serene." (6th century B.C.E.) :)

I also loved Edith Sodergran's "Homecoming"- it
Gudrun Mouw
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the broad historical spectrum of poetry by women. My favorite poet in the book was Anna Akhmatova. I'm still thinking of the last 3 lines of a poem written 2 years before her death:

I cannot tell if the day
Is ending, or the world, or if
The secret of secrets is inside me again.

Some of the other work seemed a bit uneven to me.
John Evans
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered a passion for poetry upon reading "Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women". The depth and substance of each poem phenomenal, sacred, and embraced by esoteric value and richness. I also enjoyed discovering ancient, as well as modern female voices who speak (or write), about the mysteries of life, especially that of the soul. One of my favorites was by Lal Ded (Lalla), 14th c. perhaps, p. 120, "I was passionate / filled with longing / I searched / far ...more
Glenn Berger
Among many wonderful poems is this one by Pan Zhao (48-117?), the most famous woman scholar of Chinese history, on the slow, incremental process of restoring one's connection to our essential nature, on finding the lost heart.

Tempered, annealed, the hard essence of autumn metals
finely forged, subtle, yet perdurable and straight,

By nature penetrating deep yet advancing by inches
to span all things yet stitch them up together,

Only needle-and-thread's delicate footsteps
are truly broad-ranging yet wi
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
This is the first anthology I got years ago that made me say, Wow! Includes Sappho, Rabia, Yeshe Tsogyel, Hildegard von Bingen, Mechthild of Magdeburg, Hadewijch of Antwerp, Lalla, Mirabai, Bibi Hayati, Marina Tsvetaeva. The best collection I’ve found of women’s voices in sacred poetry.
ninamo
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I want to buy 6000 copies of this book and pass it on to family, friends, colleagues, and strangers.
Carrie
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much of the poetry I’ve been reading lately is a hard intellectual chew. This volume is spacious and inspiring, humble, doesn’t work too hard. Jane Hirshfield brings together women from diverse pools of spiritual thought. Some were personally strengthening for me, and others just made me give pause. (One I even ripped out!) Hirshfield makes it easy to go deep—a great introduction to many underrepresented poets.
Phyllis Fredericksen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of poetry written by women over the centuries. A brief summary of each author’s life preceded her poetry. Very well done. I used this as a meditation each day and enjoyed it.
Yvonne Flint
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From earliest written records and encompassing many cultures, these deep, wise women spoke my heart.
Kelsey
May 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
I appreciate this book for its historical significance, but I'm not intellectual enough for poetry. So it is not the book that's bad, it is me who is a bad reader I suppose. It is also fair to say the women who wrote the poetry within the book are BA. It is a great book for history buffs, poetry lovers, and awesome feminist humans.
Katrina
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of poetry is transporting. It's chronological span alone recommends it, but the variety and beauty of the selections seals this as one to read and enjoy. I borrowed it from the library and recommend you do likewise.
J. Whitley
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with women poets that are known and unknown through the ages. The book too me a long time to read because some of the poems so beautiful I had to stop reading to allow the poem to linger in my mind, simmer in my heart.
May FLower
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this. It collects women's poetry about the sacred aspect of life from a range of backgrounds, time periods and religious practices. Lots of good stuff and I found a bunch of women I want to read more about.
Jeffrey
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hirshfield offers a well-rounded sampling of women from numerous traditions and times - each of whom write with a sensibility toward God, the Beloved, or that which is sacred (even a boy who commits suicide). Her brief bios are enough to tempt you to read more.
Tom Helmick
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Had I only been introduced to the poetry of Nelly Sachs, that would have been more than enough. She really touched me. As it was, I was also treated to 43 centuries of spiritual poetry written by women. This was an impressive and inspirited read.
Kathleen
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hirshfields's introduction each poets added immesurable to the understanding and appreciation of each entry.
Shana Hormann
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
This is a wonderful collection of women's voices from 2300 B.C.E. to the 1900s. Inspiration is on every page.
Aine MacAodha
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book edited by Jane Hirshfield, a beauty to dip into again and again. '43 centuries of spiritual poetry by women'
Louise Chambers
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poets and readers of poetry
Recommended to Louise by: Capitol Hill Used Books Denver
Shelves: poetry, women-studies
A favorite!
Melissa McClintock
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome compliation of female poets throughout the ages.
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Melanie Rigney
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Interesting collection of poetry from women of many different faith traditions and eras.
Michelle
Beautiful book filled with gorgeous poetry and introduced me to one of my favorite poets: Hadewijch!
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The biographies in this collection make it an outstanding resource. I wish it were the first in a series. I'd love to see more.
Deborah Taylor-French
Dec 20, 2017
Randy Cauthen
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Soul Is Here For Its Own Joy: Sacred Poems from Many Cultures
  • The Enlightened Heart
  • Buddhism After Patriarchy: A Feminist History, Analysis, and Reconstruction of Buddhism
  • Technicians of the Sacred: A Range of Poetries from Africa, America, Asia, Europe and Oceania
  • The Ecco Anthology of International Poetry
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets
  • How to Read a Poem and Fall in Love with Poetry
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)
  • The Hand of Poetry: Five Mystic Poets of Persia: Translations from the Poems of Sanai, Attar, Rumi, Saadi and Hafiz
  • Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West
  • A Book of Luminous Things: An International Anthology of Poetry
  • Red Bird
Jane Hirshfield is the author of seven collections of poetry, including Come Thief (Knopf, August 23, 2011), After (HarperCollins, 2006), which was named a “Best Book of 2006” by The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, and England’s Financial Times and shortlisted for England’s T.S. Eliot Award; and Given Sugar, Given Salt (finalist for the 2001 National Book Critics Circle Award); as we ...more