Start by marking “Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2; Liaden Universe, #14)” as Want to Read:
Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2; Liaden Universe, #14)

Saltation

(Liaden Universe #14)

Theo Waitley is a Nexus of Violence

Thrust mid-year into a school for pilots far from the safe haven of her birth home on scholarly Delgado, young Theo Waitley excels in hands-on flying while finding that she's behind the curve in social intricacies as well as in math.
After surviving a mid-air emergency with a spectacular mountain-top landing in her training soar plane Theo
Published April 13th 2010 by Baen (first published January 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Saltation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saltation

Gary
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

A direct follow-up to Fledgling, Saltation finds teenage Theo Waitley at pilot school, learning that her natural talents come with benefits and drawbacks.
Characterization, along with the comforting gentility of Lee's and Miller's Liaden Universe, are the selling points here. Sometimes the pacing is a little slow, but the reader's patience is rewarded.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
5/5; 5 stars; A+

I really enjoyed this book. It focuses on Theo's late teen years and her time at the piloting academy. The story is a delightful exhibition of the 'luck' that swirls around these blessed (burdened?) with the yos'Phelium genes. There are quite a few interesting developments in Theo's life and it becomes clear that the plot line is heading towards clan Korval. The last few pages are identical to those of 'I Dare' thus bringing the two stories together in time.
Kathleen Lynch
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The second book of Theo Waitley is even better than the first, and that's a feat. It's good old-fashioned space opera, with elegant writing, well-drawn characters, and enough hooks for future development to keep all series fans happy for almost as long as it takes Lee and Miller to produce the next installment! Fledgling is the first book of this arc, but if you really wish to dig in, there's a whole universe built around Liad. (Theo's paternal ancestors are Liaden, although her mother is earth- ...more
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great story! 4/25/16 re-read: Well, Theo's life gets more and more interesting. I love how the books in her series synch with the main series. Superb! 2019 re-read: The ending, always makes me laugh with utter joy.
Jacqueline J
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, owned
This book was much better than Fledgling. I did feel that there were parts at school that could have used a bit more explanation than was given. I do like authors that don't info dump but rather sprinkle info in. But here there was a little too little in spots. The story was not real linear in that unlike for example "Conflict of Honors" earlier in the series where there was a strong plot with action and reaction, closely following, it was more "here's some stuff that happened to develop Theo's ...more
Red
The continuing saga of Theo Waitley. In this sequel to Fledgling Theo goes off to pilot school, sponsored (paid for) by her friend Pilot Cho. Starting in the middle of the term with a small group of students, she again feels like an outsider amongst her peers. She makes friends with her unlikely roommates, concentrates on her studies, and finds herself embroiled in events beyond her control, and political understanding. Once again purposefully misunderstood by questionable authority figures, she ...more
Doranna Durgin
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Miller & Lee are pretty much THE best at working the micro-view of personal stakes with high-stakes macro view happening in the background. This book is no different, and of course it's couched in the unique Liaden-verse.

Although publisher Baen doesn't identify it as such, it's the second of two books about Theo Waitely, and is tied into the series closely enough so this second book ends at the same point as I DARE. I believe there's more to come.
Cindy
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent followup to Fledgling
Sbuchler
Genre: Science Fiction

Saltation was a disappointment after Fledgling. It felt like a book without a plot. It’s obviously the middle book in the series and it seemed mainly to focus on getting Theo from the end of Fledgling up to the point in time when we met her at the end of I Dare e.g. she has to develop a complicated problem that is worth bringing to Delm Korval (whom Theo doesn’t know, and in fact doesn’t even realize that she has a claim on Korval).

Now, I think the complicated problem is in
Cyn Armistead
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2) is good enough that I finished Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1), then read it in one sitting. It simply has the sort of momentum that doesn't allow for good stopping points — something that is true of many of the Liaden Universe novels.

At the end of Fledgling, Theo was sponsored into pilot school by Scout Cho sig'Radia. Saltation begins with her time there, just as politically naive as ever, but a much more confident person than she was at the beginning of Fledgling. Man
Michael Smith
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Saltation,” the authors tell us, is “that which proceeds by leaps rather than by smooth and orderly progression.” That describes Theo Waitley, certainly. The “space academy” is a science fiction trope that goes back at least to Robert Heinlein’s classic Space Cadet, but Lee and Miller ring a number of new changes on it. In this sequel to Fledgling, Theo is admitted to the Anlingdin Piloting Academy on the not entirely stable world of Eylot -- in the middle of the academic year, which immediate ...more
Lis Carey
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks, f-sf
Theo Waitley has survived the tough year that culminated in pilot school on a planet very different from Delgado. Along the way she caught the attention of Master Pilot Captain Cho, and now she has a scholarship to an elite piloting academy. Surely now she'll fit in?

But no. She's behind in some things, ahead in others, and learned self-protection makes her seem to be looking for a fight far too often. And as she catches up on her math, and finally starts to make friends aside from her roommates,
Kerry
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
REREAD: 23 November 2014 to 25 November 2014 (9/10)

Oooh, I loved this all over again. I think I found all the events making clearer sense this time too, especially at the end, where I got a bit confused last time. Are all the time frames are coming together in some fashion?

I had to stop here last time I read the book because there were no more, and as it ends at the same point as I Dare, even though I had new stories, I didn't get to progress further into the future. It is lovely to have Ghost S
Amy
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I just love Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, especially their Liaden space operas. (I was a bit disappointed with Duainfey and Longeye, both a bit too graphic for my tastes.) Fledgling and Saltation finally tell the story of Theo, who shows up mysteriously at the end of I Dare. The intricate plots, delicate politics, and dialogue that has many layers all work together to keep me glued to the story and itching for more once the last page is turned.
Joy
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I bought the e-ARC from Baen because I'm a badass, I mean pathetic addict, like that. This book technically wasn't out until April. Theo Waitley goes off-planet to study to be a pilot--but chaos erupts and, being found at the center of it, Theo must deal with bigger and more thorny problems than ever before--even problems that involve going to the delm of Korval.

This book ended exactly where _I Dare_ ended. My torture continues, and _Ghost Ship won't be out for quite some time...
Carolyn
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I continue to adore the Liaden universe. This one links the Korval thread with Arin's story and just makes me want a third book (please please). One of the delights of Lee and Miller isn't so much what's happening, it's what's implied. And, let's face it, Georgette Heyer in Space tastes good.
Karen
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am going to reiterate what I said about Fledgling: What a great story! I will be starting "Ghost Ship" as I finish writing this.

05/11/2018: Starting this again. Again, so good. Love the Bechimo story.
Debrac2014
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read!

5/2019 Re-read! Just as good the 2nd time around! Theo attracts trouble!
momokaachan
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, series
It would be a horrible, horrible thing to start reading this without the next book in hand. Less one star for the intense cliff hanger ending.
Kiri
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I cannot NOT like a Lee/Miller book; entirely aside from the fact that I am a sucker for anything in their Liaden Universe, they write with charm and seem almost to have become something rather Liaden themselves. It's odd to me that this aspect of their writing - the thoroughness with which they immerse one into an alien culture - becomes both the best and worst thing about their books. This one has a lot going for it - it's place in the Liaden milleau, the experience of piloting school, the app ...more
Mary Soon Lee
This book is set in the authors' Liaden Universe, and is the second book in an arc centered on Theo Waitley. I liked it slightly better than the first book about Theo, and I had liked that book very well. There continues to be an underlying sweetness, but Theo is growing up and choosing her path in life. I remain skeptical that in this type of far future pilots would need the technical prowess depicted here, but it didn't stop me enjoying the story. Many of the Liaden Universe books are a joy by ...more
Jeff Crosby
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2013
Theo at pilot school. There's little that is original here, and the novel is best read as a sequel. It is also open ended. However, it does tie nicely with the ending of I Dare, and more depth is added to the Liaden universe. Because I cared about the characters, I found it hard to put down.
Debby Kean
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I hate to say it but this book was deeply boring! The main character, Theo Waitley is the victim of 'tell-don't-show', she is supposed to be brilliant, a prodigy, but she just seems to be a sulky teen. Inside this mish-mash is a better book struggling to get out.
Kate
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, library
Saltation was good fun, although I read it out of order so I knew most of what was going to happen, which somewhat lessened my enjoyment.

I highly recommend the Liaden Universe for fans of space opera.
Carol
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Peter Goodman
“Saltation,” by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Baen, 2010). This is one of a series of novels taking place in the Liaden Universe, which I don’t fully understand and don’t worry about much. It feels like a Young Adult novel. It’s pretty much a contemporary space opera starring Theo Waitley, who is training to become a pilot, those exalted beings who guide air- and space-craft among the stars. How they do it is not important. It takes place in the very far future; Terra is around, the origin, but n ...more
Roger
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book that ties Theo into Clan Korval. Can't wait to start "Ghost Ship"
Patricia Litz
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
good info on the current storyline.
Mardel
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Basically, Saltation is the story of Theo Waitley's school career. In the first Theo book, Theo went from a "clumsy" danger to society at large type of kid to a self possessed, graceful young woman who has the potential of becoming a great pilot, and being a pilot is no small thing in these novels.

In Fledgling a pilot scout has offered to sponsor Theo in an elite piloting school - so Theo ends up going. Problem is, that there's unrest on the planet where the school is situated. Seems the locals
JPT
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Space Opera Fans : June 2019 THEMED Saltation by Lee and Miller 16 29 Jun 21, 2019 05:46PM

• The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • DarkShip Thieves (Darkship, #1)
  • Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)
  • Endless Blue
  • By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3)
  • Hellspark
  • The Serrano Succession (The Serrano Legacy, #6-7)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)