Start by marking “Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)

Pride Mates

(Shifters Unbound #1)

Collared and controlled, Shifters are outcast from humanity, forced to live in Shiftertowns. But waiting within are passions that no Collar can contain.

Like most Shifters, Liam Morrissey has learned that trusting humans leads to no good. But when a beautiful attorney enters Shiftertown alone, Liam's alpha nature leaves him no choice but to offer his protection.

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 26th 2010 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Pride Mates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride Mates

Start your review of Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)
Kat Kennedy
It's important to remember, before you recommend a beloved book to me, that I am a salacious hellspawn deposited onto this earth for the express purpose of destroying all that you love and violating that which you hold most dear.

Pride Mates is a strange concoction of 3 parts instaloving alpha male, 2 parts nonsensical female MC and half a part of shaky world-building. Put them all together and they just kind of distill into a boring muckwater that you neither want to drink - or pour out into th
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
Jennifer Ashley is one of my favorite authors. Ian Mackenzie melted my heart and will be one of my all time favorite heroes ever. So I have had this series on my tbr list for years now. I bought all the books and was ready to jump right in. I was a little worried going into this read because the series I first read from JA was historical romance and this was a pnr. I didn't know if it would be as good. I should have known better. Jennifer Ashley rocked it out. I loved the world build up, I loved ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Where can I find an "I LOVE LIAM" bumper sticker?

Pride Mates was a great start to a new series! The introduction into the Shiftertown world and hierarchy was interesting and never boring, which is no small feat for the first book in a series. The way the characters were developed and introduced into the story made me feel like I was meeting new friends, and not reading a who’s who of the Shifter world.

I loved Liam! I loved him so much that I want an I LOVE LIAM bumper sticker. He was such an aw/>Pride
Jen
This was a re-read for me, and I am happy to report that my tastes haven't changed too much! I still thoroughly enjoyed Jennifer Ashley's shifters, especially their all consuming love they develop for their mates! This seems to be the biggest factor I am missing in the current reads today...You know...that love that is possessive, and forever?? I love that in my romance books, and the way the hero will love his heroine through everything. Some may say this isn't realistic; but the fact is that I ...more
Liz
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audioread, paranormal
3.5 Lovin' Liam Stars

"A girl walks into a bar...
No. A human girl walks into a Shifter bar."

Pride Mates is my first read by Jennifer Ashley. I strive to read a variety of genres and authors. Although my preference seems to be a modern romance (with a hint of dark), I occasionally dabble in the paranormal sector of the book world. Pride Mates was quite an intriguing read.

description

Jennifer AshleyStars
"A
Shannon
Before you get discouraged by my two star rating I just want to say that I will be reading the next installment when it comes out. There were just enough unique ideas that the author came up with that I want to continue reading. This series has a good premise but it's literally oozing with the cheesy trappings of the paranormal romance genre.

District Attorney Kim Fraser has a Shifter murder case dumped in her lap. The Shifter had a human girlfriend who got killed and he's blamed for it even though the evid/>District
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Pride Mates is a strange concoction of instaloving alpha males, nonsensical female MC and lili bit of shaky world-building.

That being said, this book became strangly enduring with its hilarious characters and things happened that were just so random...so ridiculous...so what the fuck is happening~~ that you just couldn’t help laughing and read it faster

Plus there was this one epic scene that showed some honest to god, good writing:

"Our enemies had to pay. Those heartless, faceless others who ha/>
Catherine
*Originally Read 12/5/10*

After accidentally leaving a book I was reading at work I was restlessly prowling my shelves when I came upon this. I'd heard some pretty good things about the book and I enjoyed some of this author's other books, so I figured I'd finally give it a go. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it unfortunately didn't thrill me as much as it did some of my friends.

The premise of the book was one of the most interesting parts for me. I really liked the society the a
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Re-posted on http://www.gotfiction.com/book-review...

I loved this book! Kim is a defense attorney who drew the short straw and is defending a Shifter named Brian. Kim goes to Liam, the second in command of Shiftertown, TX and holds her own on a virile, hot Shifter male. They are all Collared, but what if someone wanted his off? what would happen? Liam claims Kim as his mate, and she wants him, but not all this mating business. Too bad her heart has other ideas. She falls in love with him and they take down Fergus, the clan le
Stacey is Sassy
Not too bad for an old timer...

The Shifters Unbound series has been on my radar for a while and I've finally gotten around to read/listen to it. I'm a sucker for shifter romance and this definitely brought something new to the table. It's not often that (in the reading world) shifters are expected to be tamed/held back/denied their natural inclinations. In Pride Mates we're introduced to shifters who have to wear a collar to identify and harness their strengths and natural abilities. These collars were cre
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
This book's not my thing. Well, it should've been, but the way the story was written it is not. First, there's insta-love, second, there's this thing that I find shifters powerful (like: they are more than humans: stronger, faster, more possessive, more animalistic...) and the way the shifters were written in this book made me think there were...not exactly weak, but definitely not powerful, at least not in my mind. Being collared and all made them less...animals? Less themselves?
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
RATING: 3 Sexy Liam Hearts!! :)

Pride Mates is an entertaining, fast-paced shifter story with all the elements that make up a "good" PNR read present – an engaging plot, likeable characters, and a steamy, sizzling romance. Liam is the ultimate Irish alpha male, and his protective urges and attraction for Kim are sexy as all get out. Simply loved him! Kim is a strong, take-no-shit from anyone, fierce heroine, and her personality is a refreshing change from the usual doormat heroines. We also have a cas/>Pride
Sophia Triad
Once upon a time, there was a little girl called Kim and a big bad shifter called Liam - only the girl was a strong minded lawyer and the shifter was not really that bad.
And he used to have a castle in Ireland but now he lived in a very small, poor home somewhere in US and loved drinking Guinness.
Oh yes, and he had never been kissed, but when finally Kim kissed him, he did not become prince or frog - he just loved her more.
And there were fae, not nice fae who used magic to make shifters
Alaina
...eh

Pride Mates was an easy book to listen to but I was honestly so bored with the whole thing. Thankfully it was on audible romance.. but other than that I don't really know what else to say about this book. In it, you will meet Liam and Kim. They were kind of cute but this whole book had me saying 'what the fuck is actually happening' or 'what was this book supposed to be about again?'. Let's just say, I was hilariously confused about things.

Now I like shifter books but I absolute/>Pride
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
"No Shifters Allowed!" - That's exactly what fascinated me in this book, this racist mentality both in law and society in general. Legally shifters aren't able to get high paid jobs or buy luxury items. Proprietors are allowed to ban shifters from their premises and racism against them is tolerated because they're "animals".

They're an oppressed people forced to wear collars that suppress their more aggressive animal personality traits and when they think about or are about to act out violence, are shock
Beanbag Love
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've had this on my Kindle so long I nearly forgot about it. Years! But I finally cracked it this weekend and I'm kicking myself for not getting on board earlier.

First an admission. I love shifters. I'm more a shifter girl than a vampire girl. Vampires -- usually -- are dead. That kind of bothers me. Oh, I can get over it for Bones, Spade, Vlad and Mencheres, but mostly ... ew.

That said, not every shifter story is good. I've read a lot of stinkers, which has made me leery of startin
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
3.5 Stars

I’m a fan of Jennifer Ashley’s Historical romances and I was in a paranormal mood so I decided to give this book / series a go. The reviews were right and Pride Mates isn’t my favorite book, but you kind of have to start with this book to help with the world building.

The main flaw of this book was the lack of chemistry between the two main characters which really disappointed me because Jennifer Ashley is so good at sexual tension. I just hope this is the only on
Gina
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing

OMG OMG OMG!!! I have been looking for a paranormal series to get into and I finally found it! I have had this book forever and have been ignoring it, what an idiot i was! This is my first shifter book as well, so I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a non-stop, heart racing, lots of hot steam sex and OMG swooning, I love these two story!

Let's start with Liam....Liam....OMG....Liam! I love this guy, he is a true leader, strong (mentally and physically), compassionate, fair, loyal. And of course he
Sunny
I am a little disappointed in this book. I can't decide whether it is because this author's style didn't translate well from historical to PNR, or if it is just not a great story. The world building is interesting, anytime humans think they can control anyone or any species usually ends up in disaster. I will expect that from future stories, but the set up is good here. However, I did not like the characters. I The heroine is a little too whiney for me and maybe a little too naive considering sh ...more
Holly
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, shifters
I thought this book was absolutely wonderful!! I am a huge Shifter fan, but this book was more than just Shifters. It was a wonderful story about love and family! I loved the characters, their strength and their vulnerability. This book made me cry and laugh right out loud, I can officially say I am in love with a big Fae-Cat named Liam!! LOL :) But I truly can't believe I have to wait over 7 months for Sean's story (which sounds phenomenal btw!)
Laurie Garrison
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I simply loved this book. It has everything that I enjoy in a good paranormal romance. Let me give you a small list; some violence,(lets just say this book is not for the faint of heart in some parts), some humor, a mystery, excitement, sizzling hot sex, and a shape shifting world unlike I have never read before.

Here is a small list of things I liked; Liam and Kim have the right amount of sizzle, each is stubborn at times, then they are totally working together in their romance. So you don’t ge
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Twenty years ago, shifters came out to the public and since then, they have been portrayed as wild, reckless creatures that have limited rights and are discriminated against by many humans. If they don’t want to face immediate death, they must were a fae-made collar, one that expands when they shift so it is always on them. This collar supposedly keeps the shifters from acting violent, giving them severe pain if they cross that line.

Kim Fraser is an attorney who has been handed a shi
Cindyg
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed the first installment of Shifters Unbound. I liked the characters, found them engaging, honest and loyal. Liam...what a shifter...
The story moved at a good pace and I was able to understand the world Ms. Ashley developed without all the extra explanations. It kept my attention and was an easy read.
Oh and there is wonderful lovin, raw, and sensual sex scenes which I think were done very well.
I am looking forward the next book in the series. I hope it's Sean's st
Denisa
3.5 Cute, relaxing read.

It's everything you would expect from a paranormal, shifter romance. There's that cute background story, the girl and the guy, not a very complex world, there are problems and, of course, at the end everything is ok.
The interesting part though was the plot twist, that was unexpected. And I always like to be surprised! :D
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Rated 3.5 stars.

Shifters who are controlled by being collared and considered outcast so they're not too trusting when it comes to humans in their town until attorney Kim is given a shifter client who was accused of murder. Cleary Kim was out of her depth. She goes to the town hoping to find some help but finds a lot more than she bargained.

Liam is an alpha shifter that falls instantly for Kim. He feels that if he doesn't help her she will get herself into a lot of trouble especially
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1) by Jennifer Ashley

Jennifer Ashley introduces us to a new and unique view of Shapeshifters in Pride Mates, the first book in her Shifters Unbound series.

This bool takes us to Austin TX where Kim Fraser is a DA assigned to defend her client, a shifter, in a murder case. Shifters had made their presence known to the world and 20 years ago they were given collars to control their animal instincts and keep them in line. The collars, made by a 1/2 Fae and
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I struggled to get through this book for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on why. It had lots of elements I love: paranormal shifters, good world building, mates...but there was just something missing for me. I will probably give the second book in the series a try though, provided I can get it cheap. Hopefully I will connect with it better as it seems I'm in the minority in not really liking this one.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

Maybe its because I had low expectations based upon the prequel I read but I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The world building was interesting. The story was a bit thin but I liked the shape shifter characters and Kim enough to make up for it. Will definitely read the next one in the series.
Wendy
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, favorites, kindle
Wow, I love Jennifer Ashley's writing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it has a great storyline and hot alpha males, that are guaranteed to make your toes curl ;) What more can you ask for?

• The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • Unbound (Time Hunters #2.5, Shifters Unbound #4.5, The Elementals #1.5)
  • Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4)
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Marked (The Wolf's Den, #1)
  • Primal Law (Alpha Pack #1)
  • Touch of Seduction (Primal Instinct, #4)
  • His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1)
  • Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Wolves, #1)
  • Wolf at the Door (The Others, #9)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.

Shifters Unbound (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)
  • Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3)
  • Mate Claimed (Shifters Unbound, #4)
  • Tiger Magic (Shifters Unbound, #5)
  • Wild Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #6)
  • Mate Bond (Shifters Unbound, #7)
  • White Tiger (Shifters Unbound, #8)
  • Guardian's Mate (Shifters Unbound, #9)
  • Red Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #10)
  • Midnight Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #11)
“He looked like a man who'd invite you to rest your head on his shoulder while he made everything bad go away.” 21 likes
“The house swallowed them. Dylan put his hands on Kim's and Liam's shoulders. "The Goddess bless you both." He kissed Kim's forehead. "Thank you Kim."

He smiled and walked away. Liam watched him, his heart full.

"Is he thanking me for getting pregnant?" Kim asked. "It wasn't difficult, with all the sex we kept having. You did as much as I did.”
17 likes