Start by marking “The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates” as Want to Read:

Since its original publication in 1993, The Safari Companion has been the best field guide to observing and understanding the behavior of African mammals. An indispensable tool for naturalists traveling to Africa, this new edition has been revised to acknowledge the enthusiasm to those watching these magnificent animals at zoos and wildlife parks, and on film.

The Safari Co
Published December 1st 1999 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Safari Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Safari Companion

Start your review of The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is an amazing book and I'm angry that I hadn't heard of it when I went to Africa. I would have taken it everywhere. Very thorough, this book has descriptions of a large quantity of the most commonly seen wildlife in Africa. It includes sub species for example three different types of zebra. The information includes general information and description, social structure, movement, reproduction and in depth descriptions of communication in different relationships such as mother and child, aggr ...more
Dottie Suggs
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
very informative with line drawings of all of the animals and details on all the mammals one might encounter in Africa. This book goes into behavior, size, habitat, mating, and sounds. It will be fun to have some of this knowledge before traveling to Botswana.
Sandra
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is no other book quiet like this: an in-depth guide with thorough explanations of african mammals, the way they live, behave and interact with each other. If you want to identify the animals you are seeing on a safari, you need a guide book - there are plenty around and quiet a few really good ones. If you want to understand the animals you are seeing on a safari, what behaviours they are displaying and why, this book is indispensable. To me, this book has become one of my few all-time fav ...more
Neill & Linda Brownstein
Botswana Safari for Linda's 70th Birthday...

We have a few books to read in advance of going on safari next month. This field guide was recommend as a resource to become familiar with and later refer back to learn about individual animal behavior.
Ron Weddle
Wonderfully written and thorough account of practically all the mammalian species of Africa. It is too thorough for anyone who is not traversing the entire continent. It was sometimes difficult to determine if a given species could be found in the area in which I would be traveling (Zambia).
Dayla
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
If you are going to Africa, don't forget to buy Safari clothes. No kidding, don't wear jeans. Also don't go to Africa without reading this insightful book.
PoachingFacts
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: amateur naturalists, photo-safari tourists, hunting-safari tourists, animal lovers
The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates - Revised & Expanded (purple cover) by Richard D. Estes supersedes the earlier 1993 edition (orange cover) as the foremost field guide to African mammals in East Africa and Southern Africa. It includes a number of updates to species names and taxonomy classifications and three chapters on making the most of a safari. This makes the Safari Companion an ideal guide for novice- and intermed ...more
Trike
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended by the doctor who gave me my inoculations for my trip to South Africa, it is definitely a very well-researched book. However, it is by no means a good book to take with you, because it's huge. Lugging this sucker halfway around the world was a mistake.

I was surprised that it was limited solely to mammals. If you're going to see hippos, you will also see crocs, because they share a living space. (The dancing croc-and-hippo ballet sequence from Disney's Fantasia is probably inspired b
David Ward
The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals by Richard D. Estes (Chelsea Green Publishing Company 1993) (599.096). The Great White Hunter in me grabbed this when I saw it at the local used book store. It's an actual working field guide covering the animals of the African plains from bovids to insectivores to primates written in such a style that it's quite user-friendly. That's assuming, of course, that I make it to Africa....Or to the zoo....My rating: 7.25/10, finished 7/26/16. A ...more
Ignacio Del Valle
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The name is perfectly chosen: this book is a great safary companion. Perhaps counterintuitively, watching mammals in their natural habitat in the African savannas requieres a lot of patience, and a strong will to observe carefully. The information the book gives helps to understand what the animals are doing when they seem to be doing nothing, and teaches a lot about each species. I would say that this one is a must-carry in every Safari, especially if it is your first one.
Thaths
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Books like Kingdom's guide or Collins Guide are helpful for identifying species and subspecies and learning about general stuff like distribution, etc. But no other books comes lose to The Safari Companion for actually understanding the behavior you are seeing when you watch animals on safari. Is that a harem of Impala led by an alpha male? Or is that a herd of bachelors? Are those zebras courting? Or they greeting each other? This book answers these questions.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I stumbled across a copy of the first edition of this in the children's room at the local science museum and said hey, that looks pretty cool. If you are planning a trip to Africa and want to try to observe animals like a naturalist, you should give this a look. (Or if you are looking for an introduction to the behavior of African mammals that isn't designed for children.)
Kassandra
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone going on safari
Shelves: abfab, non-fiction
This is the only book you'll need on mammals for any safari you do. (It would be wise to take a bird book or two). Great drawings, even though they're not in color, they are remarkably useful when identifying animals. The descriptions are accurate and informative.
Billy
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone going to Africa
So useful that my safari guide in Kenya said he wished he had a copy of it.
Ben
Ernest Crowder
Apr 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Newman's Birds of Southern Africa
  • The Wildlife of Southern Africa: A Field Guide to the Animals and Plants of the Region
  • The Purloined Letter
  • All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
  • My Good Life in France: In Pursuit of the Rural Dream
  • Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography
  • Ambrose Bierce: Alone in Bad Company
  • The Great American Railroad War: How Ambrose Bierce and Frank Norris Took On the Notorious Central Pacific Railroad
  • Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • Great Battles of the Civil War