Start by marking “Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing” as Want to Read:
Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing

Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  802 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Breathe! You Are Alive offers the Buddha's sixteen basic exercises for conscious breathing.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Breathe! You Are Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe! You Are Alive

A.M.
I cannot express how delighted I was to finally find a Buddhist text that focused primarily on breathing meditation. Many Buddhist works tend to briefly cover meditation in a few pages - ensuring the reader knows proper posture and providing a simple counting method - before launching into philosophy on karma, reincarnation,impermanence, compassion, etc.

Thich Nhat Hanh graciously presents a little-known Sutra by Buddha called Anapansati Sutta in Pali and Tipitaka in Sanskrit, or The Full Awarene
Sher
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Third read. TNH's writing is so clear. Commentary on Anapanasati Sutta, Satipatthana Sutta--Full Awareness of Breathing practice.
Cynda
This book Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing is more for beginning monks and possibly yoga instructors. Until Page 24 (of 63) Hahn is speaking of new Buddhist monks-in-training. I did find some nuggets of wisdom I noted in my Comments. My first yoga instructor spoke of these sutras/principles. For awhile, I had a a spiritual teacher who is a yoga instrictor who would speak of Buddhism as well. So I am familiar with the basics Hahn is speaking of, but I am not comfor ...more
David
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite Buddhist books, one which I was all-but-guided to buy several years ago when I was driving in Los Angeles and decided on an impulse to stop at one of my favorite bookstores, the Bodhi Tree Bookstore on Melrose Avenue in W. Hollywood. I parked the car, I went inside, I turned to the right, I turned to the left and went between two shelves to a spot in the middle of the shelf where a bright yellow cover caught my eye, which i proceeded to pull out and there was ...more
Sandy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a keeper for daily meditation! My gratitude for Thich Nhat Hanh's translation and commentary on this sutra goes beyond mere thankfulness. His simple writing about each phrase in the Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing has brought a deeper serenity and mindfulness into my life. By practicing his teachings, life has become emotionally calm. A natural happiness is bubbling up in the most ordinary parts of my life: noticing a lovely flower on the weed I'm pulling, seeing the way water s ...more
Lewis
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the darkest time in my life this text was essential in helping me keep on breathing. I studied the central text in the traditional manner, read one line and meditate on that one line for an hour. I was blessed to be sent by Steve Allen to Green Gulch, a buddhist monastery where I received direction from some extraordinary teachers, Mushim Ikeda, Norman Fischer, Reb Anderson, and Blanche Hartman. Later that spring I met TNH through the intercession and grace of Wendy Johnson.
Wt
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though written by a Buddhist monk, this presentation on Buddhist breath-meditation has a very syncretic approach which echoes general new-age concepts of healing, nature and planetary consciousness, and even modern Taoist internal alchemy practices such as the Inner Smile meditation on the organs (as taught by eg. Mantak Chia). With its emphasis on healing and self-care, nature consciousness and inter-being, this appears to be a book written to appeal widely to a general (Western) readership who ...more
Chris
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really just a follow up to the more detailed and complete "The Heart Of the Buddha's Teaching" by the same author. This book delved into to meaning of the Sutra On the Full Awareness Of Breathing attributed to Buddha. It gives the sutra, and offers some commentary, although the commentary was predictable and didn't reveal much beneath the surface of the meditative words. Below is the complete Sutra, with minor paraphrastic revisions. I have since committed it to memory and have use ...more
Silje
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
As someone who is a beginner at meditation and just recently embarked consciously on a journey towards stillness, this little book is very valuable. Learning to stop (shamata) in order to observe (vi passant) through full awareness of the breath becomes the foundation to build practice on.

"Thanks to our ability to stop, we are able to observe. The more deeply we observe, the greater mental concentration becomes. Stopping and collecting our mind, we naturally become able to see. In observing, th
Jay McNair
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh has a remarkable plain-and-simple way of writing as if everything he says were just perfectly obvious and apparent and easy. It's even funny at times, though I'm sure unintentionally. He says things like, "Out of forgetfulness, we create internal knots in each other and don't realize it, until one day we can no longer look each other in the eye, and we watch television instead." Anyway, very helpful and happy and simple advice on meditation, breathing, and peaceful living.
Kelly
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a translation of the Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing, as well as Thich Nhat Hanh's commentary. I enjoyed it very much, as I think I am going to like finding the roots of some of my favorite Thich Nhat Hanh wisdom in the original Pali texts (now I need to learn to read Pali and Sanskrit). I'm reading this as a part of my study group on this Sutta.
Jasmine
I could never be a Buddhist, because I don't know how to empty my mind. But the main focus of this book is definitely important for anyone to learn. To stop and breathe, focus on the body, focus on happiness. Beautiful thoughts that are very well written with very grand topics made easy to understand. I need to remember to do that more often.
Carol Eshleman
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reminder of going back to the basics and following the breath. I don't really think this is a book for beginners but I think it's great for people who have been into Zen for a while and need to be reminded of the beginning.
Jeff
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've given all his books five stars because their wisdom is invaluable, but this might be my favorite. Perhaps the most practical. Awareness is awareness of everything: all that you're thinking and feeling in body and mind. This book gives very practical technology for practicing that.
Mike
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eastern-wisdom
Fantastic guide to conscious breathing and the exercises you can employ to get the most out of your mediation practices. Best read when you are actually ready to start practicing meditation, or to strengthen or supplement your current practices.
Eric Lecours
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in meditation, there is arguably no more important sutra than the the sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing. Thich Nhat Hanh takes you through the sutra with insightful commentary. Great read. If you a meditator, this is a book I expect you'll return to again and again.
Krittima Thammamitr
here is the key practice of bringing our mind back home to our body. this is a classic teaching from the our great Teacher Sakyamuni Buddha. an essential stepping stone. beware, it can change your life.
Nomi
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Thich Nhat Hanh speaks to my heart and gives me
useful information. Literally helpful for those of us with
asthma, spiritually helpful to remind of the essence of living.
Gloria
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite Thay book

While Peace is Every Step is best for new practitioners, Breathe You Are Alive is just what I needed to take my practice to the next level.
Tim Desmond
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent translation of one of the most important sutras.
Nina
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good instructive book on being aware of your breath to calm and bring mindfulness.
Chad
Mar 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Very simple, but necesary
Kait Barnard
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Singers, this is book based on Buddism and sutra but it really applies to singing and making breathing enjoyable. I've gained a lot from it already.
Christi
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christi by: Brandon DeCuir
This book offers good guided breathing meditations with Appendix in the back describing the previous lessons in more detail.
Brett Bartow
A more advanced reading, I found I just didn't take as much away from this one as I have from others. I'm probably not ripe enough for it yet.
Steve
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential, key Sutra. I return again and again to these Hanh translations/commentaries. Highly recommended for anyone on, or wanting to get on, the path...
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A little technical -- an exposition on a Sutra.
He has other better books with which to begin.
Cherie Kephart
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interested in this because I often forget to take deep, meaningful breaths. Just the concept of employing meaning behind our breathing is healing.
Michael Castaneda
This book has done more for me than any book I've read. I use it's lessons daily. Everyone should read it.
Nicole
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a book to read mutiple times
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...