Start by marking “Metro 2034 (Metro, #2)” as Want to Read:
Metro 2034 (Metro, #2)

Metro 2034

(МЕТРО #2)

The long-awaited sequel to the cult bestseller Metro 2033, the second volume in the Metro trilogy, Metro 2034 continues the story of survival and struggle that unfolds in the mazes of the Moscow subway after WWIII. As the entire civilization was wiped out by atomic bombs and the surface of the planet is polluted with neclear fallout, the only place suitable for men to live ...more
Published March 16th 2009 by Heyne

To ask other readers questions about Metro 2034, please sign up.
Tass In metro 2033, everything related to the metro 'world' is explained more thoroughly. Some characters also come from metro 2033, although I do not…moreIn metro 2033, everything related to the metro 'world' is explained more thoroughly. Some characters also come from metro 2033, although I do not think you need to read it to understand the sequel. Anyway, I highly recommend metro 2033, it's way above its sequel(less)
Tass You can do it but I do not recommend it. From my point of view the first, Metro 2033, is 'the Metro book'. Metro 2034 is just a low quality sequel to…moreYou can do it but I do not recommend it. From my point of view the first, Metro 2033, is 'the Metro book'. Metro 2034 is just a low quality sequel to stretch the success achieved with the original novel.(less)

Agusia
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am really dissapointed. I loved Metro 2033 and I expected Metro 2034 to be equally good or even better - well, I shouldn't have had such a positive attitude. The only thing that stayed as interesting as in the first book is the postapocalyptic universum of people living in the Moscow metro but still, Metro 2033 showed us more of the metro and, in my opinion, did it way better. In Metro 2034, characters (maybe with exception for Leonid who wasn't my type, but still a really interesting person) ...more
Carra
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalypse
What a disappointment!

OK, it’s not bad, exactly, but it’s poor compared to Metro 2033 - guess I had very high expectations. My main problem here is the lead characters: for the life of me I could not engage in either of them! I miss the first person singular perspective that Artiom provided us with in the first book, and would have expected that Hunter would fill that place here. Instead we only ever observe him from other people’s perspective, where he is alternatively some kind of a super her
Maciek
I wanted to enjoy this book since I enjoyed Metro 2033 and its video game adaptation, but this was a serious disappointment. What I enjoyed about the first novel - the sheer idea of people surviving the nuclear apocalypse in a vast, sprawling network of underground subway stations and the possibilities it presented - is almost entirely absent from this book.

What it does instead if go for a much more straightforward storyline, which is unfortunately far less compelling and interesting. Th
Stuart
"The Fates, good and evil!"

Metro 2034 is a sort of sequel to the brilliant Metro 2033. I say 'sort of' as it doesn't really follow on from the events of the first book in the series. Obviously, we're still set in the Metro of Moscow, where humanity is on the brink of extinction living in a post-apocalyptic world. The Metro has survived and adapted 20 years after the first nuclear weapon was fired. Instead of one big underground system, we're introduced to a type of Greek polis city system, with their own gov
Marvin Vek
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an unexpected improvement upon Metro 2033: I didn't like Metro 2033 as much as the hype made me think I would, and therefore hesitated quite a bit on reading the follow up, Metro 2034.

Yet I'm glad I did, very glad.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the way the three stories are told at the same time, but once they start overlapping it's a real treat for lack of better words.

That what I missed in Metro 2033, the depth and emotional involved and way of
Adam
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the atmosphere and worldbuilding of Metro 2033, so I picked this up, hoping for more of the world and maybe a bit more action.

I was thoroughly disappointed, because this book decided to go different direction altogether: both action and more of the fun worldbuilding is replaced with overabundance of pseudo-philosophical and moral questions, which are both very simplistic, yet presented as a great moral quandary, and are used in dialogues, completely killing the pacing and f
Mitch
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
The short: it had so much potential but it was sexist, the characters were stupid, the ending sucked.

The long:
I loved the first book; the universe, the writing style, the characters, the darkness.... So I wanted to love the second because it had those same things. The plot could've been really cool, if it was executed correctly. The ending left me angry because I felt like if you just deleted basically the entire middle section of the novel, the outcome would've been the same, like the entire
Elena
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Totally loved it!
Though this is a second book of the 2 books already out, I started my reading from this one (I just didn't know there is another one out).
The story is quite interesting, though the only thing it has in common with the first book is that - yes, there was the World War III (nuclear one, where nobody realized what had happend until the rockets actually hit) and yes 20 years later there are people still living in the Moscow subway system (Moscow subway system was actuall
Kenchiin
Of course I did not expect this to be as good as 2033 because the bar was set really high. However, it was still very entertaining and interesting to learn more about a different place of the Metro world, especially with the mysterious Hunter as one of the main characters.
Jessica ☢ Spartan Ranger
"Metro 2034" (Metro #2), D. Glukhovsky (2009): 3.0 Stars.

They didn’t come back on Tuesday or Wednesday, or even Thursday, which had been set as the final deadline. Armoured checkpoint number one was on twenty-four-hour alert, and if the men on watch had caught even a faint echo of appeals for help or spotted even a pale glimmer of light on the dark, damp walls of the tunnel, a search and rescue unit would have been dispatched immediately in the direction of Nakhimov Prospect.

First of all, I have liste/>
George Boh
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Be warned it is not your usual metro this kinda changes it's style on more philosophical and reflective sphere. People who complain abaut it do not understand that metro it is not a line who goes from point A to B in a verry predectible line.
Metro is a romance that althrought it is a apocaliptycal so a phictional one it tries to reflect some life aspects with all it's blurs.
It doesn't lack of dramatic moments or some action moments.Metro is abaut a certen degree of liberty that the v
Marcelo
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Metro 2034 picks up a minor character from Metro 2033 and decides to tell their story a year after the events of the previous book. It expands the Metro a little bit, looks at it from the point of view of an old man who were an adult when the surface world ended, and also from the point of view of a young exiled woman who's a stranger to the Metro as the blasted surface is to the Metro inhabitants. There's a brief guest appearance from Metro 2033's Artyom, but mainly the book follows the tragic stor ...more
Jenni
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I was thinking this would be a sequel to Metro 2033 and while there are few mentions of the events that occurred in the previous book, this can be read as a stand-alone too. I can't help but compare the two books. I think I might have said Metro 2033 felt like a collection of short stories with all the stations and characters. This on the other hand feels more like a proper book, but the story isn't as compelling. Yes, there is a threat to the station, yes, there are characters looking for a way ...more
Anastasia
2.75/5
Err, I'm a bit disappointed. I wanted this book to be as exciting and interesting, but it wasn't. The ending was confusing and crumpled. I didn't really like Sasha. I maybe liked Leonid a little bit. Hunter was rather interesting, but too grumpy and also very, very confusing.

But! I must say that the pacing of the book was fast and the author's writing style is rather poetic and beautiful.

I don't know, I don't regret reading this book, but I didn't enjoy it tha
David Jijelava
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I listened to an audio book in Russian. Didn't like it very much. As opposed to Metro 2033, this is intended to give more of an emotional, "human" side of the story of the post-apocalyptic world. Turned out more cheese than I would have liked.
It's been eight years since I read 2033, and I had to re-read the ending of that before I started this one. I was immediately reminded that these books don't spare your feelings.
I thought it would be a bit of a struggle to read this, but it really wasn't. The concept of the metro-dwelling societly is complex, but you don't need to know of all the little details, what you can imagine yourself is good enough to get the gist, and the author tells you the rest.

There are some issues
Jorge Rosas
The Metro essence is there yet it doesn’t really feel like it, some parts looked more like fan fiction or fan service, but it’s still an enjoyable book; of course it’s hard to compare it with 2033, when my the expectations were so different from this, even so I could appreciate this book.
A year and a half passed since the 2033 events and now it’s the turn of the southernmost stations to have some protagonism, we find out what happened to Hunter after his disappearance, he’s there he’s still eff
Skyeofskynet
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-related
I loved the world and I was fascinated by it. But I didn't like the characters at all, I didn't like their relationships (and that Sasha and Hunter thing was terrible). The main character is a manly man with dark soul and so much pain inside. He's so boring I can't even. The main female character is a woman to love ad save so she could touch and save the manly man's dark soul.

Also I didn't like the story itself.

The best thing about this book is the metro itself. So every paragraph describing i
Jeff
I returned to the Moscow Underground. Ironically, Metro 2034 is the sequel to Metro 2033! When I listened to the first book in the trilogy my setting was perfect - it was November and the dark, cold, commutes and dog walks were the perfect environment to experience the dystopian nightmare playing out in the post-war subway stations and tunnels of Moscow. I listened to the sequel on some of the longest, brightest days of the year, which didn't match the book's setting but the writer so perfectly depicts t ...more
Eli
Feb 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Two stars because it is the World of METRO, otherwise it was more times annoying than enjoyable. I hope the next book (if there will be a next book) will be more on the spot, and Dmitry Glukhovsky will learn how to write female characters properly. The sexism of the first book is not obvious, simply because there are no women in it. (Which on its own is a good indicator how terribly sexist it is.) Except a mother in the beginning and one near the end who wants to sell her child...

But here there
Metanira
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
What a sequel! From page 1 on you get soaked into this dark, creepy and yet beautiful universe. The way fear is described - unique! And this on emoment where she gets into the open, sees the sky and...fantastically written! 10 out of 5 stars.
monika
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who search for great post-apocalyptic books
Recommended to monika by: a friend from middle school
Wasn't as good as the first one but still a great read!
Ward
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not as strong as the first one, struggled through it
Kike Ramos
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
English / Español

Something is happening at Tula station. There haven't been any news from merchants or teams sent there to explore. Homer's station depends on the transports coming from Tula, so he will be sent with a small team to see what's going on. But on Homer's team we have Hunter, the legendary soldier from the order, that helped erradicate the Dark Ones. On the other hand, we have Sasha, a girl that suddenly finds herself alone, and will get involved in the whole Tula mess.

S
Luke Waldron
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The year is 2034 There's no hope for humans to return to the surface of Earth, to repopulate the forsaken cities, and to become once again the masters of the world they used to be. So they rebuild a strange and grotesque civilization in the tunnels and at the stations of the subway. Stations become city-states that wage trade and war on each other. A fragile equilibrium is established. And then all can be ruined in matter of days. A new horrible threat looms that can eradicate the remains of hum ...more
George (BuriedInBooks)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Didn't take to long to read it.

This is my first review, go easy on me!

The second instalment in the Metro book series from Russian author Dimitri Glukhovsky.

I started reading the books after playing the video games (Metro 2033 & Metro last light) which are both available on Xbox one and 360 as well as PC and PlayStation 3 and 4.

It's a decent book, not as good as Metro 2033 but it's still good!

The story starts at a station called Sevastopol (Sevastopolskaya in Russian). The
Joel Norden
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
My actual rating is 3.5.

Now, I did a little research on this novel after finishing Metro 2034 and prepared myself to be disappointed as many reviews stated. But I love the setting and his characters so I had to continue. First off let me say I enjoyed this book, but its different from Metro 2033, so knowing that going into reading Metro 2034 is nice.

The setting is still great, though, I was a little more confused as access to the outside world increased in this novel comp
Neo Marshkga
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopies
The second part of this trilogy is really different from the previous book in several ways.
First of all, this books is not a personal journey as the first one, we dont follow the steps of a single character, but of 2 different characters, Sasha and Homer, so the story feels less lonely, and more about our relations with others, and how those can save ourselves.
I like pointing this out, because i feel the difference is really important, as it defines the tone of most of the book. And
Erik
Not as great as Metro 2033 but still pretty good.

On the upside, the Russian-to-English translation is approximately one million times better (despite being translated by the same people) and exploring the literal other side of the Metro remains fascinating.

On the downside, it lacks the epic sweep of the first novel and the characterization of the female half of the dual protagonists is very unlikely to sit well with Western readers.
Bryan Dawson
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys action and advebture. I loved the fallow up story that was told through the eyes of a new group of characters and I achieved the thrill of learning more about the story of the metro series. The book had great character development and a very entertaining climax that was able to connect with the readers emotions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Do Światła (Uniwersum «Metro 2033»)
  • Питер (Метро 2033: Питер. Подземный блюз, #1)
  • Le radici del Cielo (Uniwersum «Metro 2033»)
  • Фальшивые зеркала (Лабиринт отражений, #2)
  • Trucizna (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #7)
  • Żarna Niebios (Zastępy Anielskie, #1)
  • Pustynna Włócznia. Księga I (Demoniczny Cykl, #2A)
  • House of Rain
  • Soothsayer (Penelope Bailey, #1)
  • Wyjście z cienia
  • Jinn
  • The Gardener from Ochakov
  • Die Vernichteten (Die Verratenen, #3)
  • Lautlos
  • The Duel
  • Kinder des Judas (Kinder des Judas, #1)
  • Ill Wind
Dmitry Glukhovsky (Russian: Дмитрий Глуховский) is a professional Russian author and journalist. Glukhovsky started in 2002 by publishing his first novel, Metro 2033, on his own website to be viewed for free. The novel has later become an interactive experiment, drawing in many readers, and has since been made into a video game for the Xbox 360 console and PC. Glukhovsky is known in Russia for his novels Met ...more

МЕТРО (3 books)
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • Metro 2035 (Metro, #3)
“What remains of the dead? What remains of every one of us?

Tombstones sink in, moss covers them, and after a few centuries the name can no longer be read. Every forgotten grave is designated a new corpse.

As the generations passed, remembrance of the dead diminished until it was forgotten. What was called everlasting peace only lasted half a century. The bones were disturbed as the graveyards were mulched in to suburbs.

The earth had become too small, for the living and the dead. In half a century a funeral had become a luxury that only few could afford who had died before judgment day. But who cares about a single body when the whole planet is dying.

[...]

Earlier the remains of humanity had only had the right to be there as long as the living remembered them. A human being remembers their relatives, their friends and colleagues. But his conscience only reached back three generations before it faded away. Just more then fifty years.

With the same ease, you let the picture of our grandfather or your friend from school out of our conscience into absolute nothingness. The memories of a human can last longer than the bones, but as soon as the last one who remembered us has passed we dissolve with time.

[...]

Back then there was almost no more space in the thick family album for old and brown turned pictures, but almost nobody that looked through it could say for sure who was on the photos. The photographs of the passed can be interpreted as some kind of mask, but not as a print of their soul when they were living. And the photographs only decay as slow as the people that live inside them

What remains?

Our children?

They can look like us. In their reflection we mirror ourselves in a mysterious way. United with those we had loved. In their gestures, in their mimics we happily find ourselves or with sorrow. Friends confirm that our sons and daughters are just like us. Maybe that gives us a certain extension of ourselves when we are no more. We ourselves weren’t the first. We have been made from countless copies that have been before us, just another chimera, always half from our fathers and mothers who are again the half of their parents. So is there nothing unique in us but are we just an endless mixture of small mosaic parts that never endingly exist in us? Have we been formed out of millions of small parts to a complete picture that has no own worth and has to fall into its parts again?

Does it even matter to be happy if we found ourselves in our children, a certain line that has been traveling through our bodies for millions of years?

What remains of me?

[...]

What kind of immortality was left for mankind?”
5 likes
“Ни ученые, ни фантасты никогда не умели как следует предсказывать будущее, думал старик. К две тысячи тридцать четвертому году человек давно бы уже должен был стать властителем если и не половины Галактики, то хотя бы Солнечной системы. Гомеру это обещали еще в детстве. Но и фантасты, и ученые исходили из того, что человечество рационально и последовательно. Как будто оно не состояло из нескольких миллиардов ленивых, легкомысленных, увлекающихся личностей, а было неким ульем, наделенным коллективным разумом и единой волей.” 0 likes