Start by marking “The Sound of Us” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Us

The Sound of Us

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  285 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
From the acclaimed author of A Good Distance and Some Things That Stay, a thoughtful and compelling new novel.

Alice Marlowe accepts her life the way it is. She is single, in her late forties, lives with a cat named Sampson, and has imaginary conversations with her dead twin brother. As a sign-language interpreter for the deaf, she is used to standing between people, faci
Published June 7th 2005 by Berkley Hardcover (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Us

The Best-Kept Secret by Les RobertsCollision Bend by Les RobertsThe Lake Effect by Les RobertsThe Cleveland Connection by Les RobertsPepper Pike by Les Roberts
Fiction Set in Cleveland
113 books — 23 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayCorelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresChitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingThe Tin Drum by Günter Grass
Sounds
335 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Dawn Livingston
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Well written, well rounded and realistic characters but not my type of book. Too real and kind of depressing.
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Toni, Lynne, Laura
Shelves: general-fiction
Willis's remarkable portrayal of a woman's unexpected foray into the world of foster parenting. Like the central character my attitude towards the birth mother shifted from one of disdain to sympathy. I felt drawn in to her web of lies, unsure what to believe, questioning my own beliefs as to the best course of action for the child in question. Although the overall story is executed never falling into the trap of bordering on sappy or overly dramatic, I did find the use of the central character' ...more
Kristi
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I only gave it 4 stars because it had a little too much language for my taste. Great story and great message. I really felt like I was right there in the story with the way that she wrote it. Interesting moral and ethical topics were brought up that really made me question how I would react in the same situations. Excellent read.
Allison Herman
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A woman gets a wrong number phone call from a 6 year old at the wee hours of the morning. Feeling compelled to make sure the child is okay, the woman figures out where she is and gets involved in her life way more than she ever expected.

I just found this too hard to relate to. The child is supposed to be 6, but the way she acts is more like a 3 year old. I couldn't get into this.
Sue
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Repressed middle aged woman becomes a foster parent. Good story. Some discussion potential.
Jennifer Wardrip
Alice Marlowe is realizing, at the age of 48, that there's more to life than having a comfortable home, a fulfilling career, and parents and friends that love her. When she's awakened in the middle of the night by a wrong number, Alice 's world is tilted on its axis--and the tilting may very well save her sanity.

A little girl, barely six years old, has called Alice by mistake, missing a phone number by a couple of digits. Larissa, the girl on the other end of the line, is looking for her Auntie
Marlee Pinsker
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book and found myself just falling into it, fascinated by the gritty, emotional world the author created. I asked myself just what would I have done at different points along the way. I felt that the protagonist was completely believable even though I would not have run out in the middle of the night as she did. I could feel her spirit in her dialogue with her brother, and I knew what she was doing, keeping that dialogue alive. There was a rhythm to this book that reminded ...more
Jody
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Rachel
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
A well-meaning but ultimately insubstantial read, I feel the $1.00 price tag on this bargain book is an accurate reflection of its quality. The author tries to take us into the often challenging and sometimes rewarding world of foster parenting, while attempting to explore issues of racial and social discrimination. The biggest message of the book was supposed to be how much Alice (a single, white, 48-year-old middle class woman) changed as the result of foster parenting Larissa (a six-year-old ...more
Christy
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2010
Touching story of a woman who answers the phone late a night and gets involved in a little girl's life when she realizes the six-year-old has been left alone. She goes as far as to apply to be a foster parent when the girl goes into the system.

It seems realistic: the reactions of the little girl, the struggles of new parenthood, and the irresponsible but sympathetic mother. And it ended beautifully.

My only complaint ... I read the first chapter and set it aside, only going back later to read it
Megan
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'd maybe give it 4 1/2 stars.
What I liked: The characters are believable. Not dull and one-dimensional at all. I have had deaf friends and I liked the way the deaf people in the novel are portrayed. There are some really tender parts in the book, but they never cross the line and become cheesy. It isn't a trite happily-ever-after book, which in some ways is hard, but it makes it more believable. It isn't a happy-ever-after situation. It is a book that I won't just forget. I find myself thinking
Catherine
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although The Sound of Us by Sarah Willis was published in 2005, I just discovered it and am really glad that I did. I really enjoyed this book.

Alice is an almost 50 year old woman, never married, childless, whose twin brother has recently died. She receives a phone call from a child, a wrong number, that begins a series of events that change her life.

A very moving story, with characters who are believable and easy to connect with. There are no quick, simple solutions to the challenges faced by
Mary
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Leslie
Shelves: fiction
I love finding treasures at the library. This is one of those. It was on the "Not new but worth a view" shelf. The story of a single woman who is trying to make the best of life but really is sad and lonely. She receives a phone call late one night from a scared six year old, and she determines to do the right thing this time in her life. The story unfolds and what I liked was that the people were not cookie cutter good and bad, but nuanced. And they learned about themselves. All circling around ...more
Mom2nine
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing

"I loved this book and couldn't put it down, read in less than a day. My 17 yr. old son watched a little girl of about 3 in the mall for long enough to realize that no one was with her. He called security, they told him that it was not as uncommon as he would like to believe. He just wanted to bring her home to me and keep her out of the mess of the system.
The book is well written, gentle and hard hitting at the same time. What is poor parenting, what is society's answer and how many chances doe
Karen
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read anything from this author, I suggest starting with this book. I loved this book and couldn't wait to finish it to learn what happens. I was drawn immediately into the world of little Larissa and felt strongly connected to all of the characters in the story. Willis did a wonderful job making this read as though it was non-fiction. Simply captivating and one I will always remember.
Inge Hulsker
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In het nederlands 'Gebarentaal'. Een onverwacht pareltje. Heel fijn geschreven, ik kon het niet wegleggen. De personages komen goed tot leven. De relatie tussen Alice en de 6-jarige Larissa is heel lief. Deed mij erg denken aan Luca, dat ik toevallig pas gelezen hebt. Ik vind Gebarentaal beter uitgewerkt en een bevredigender einde. Aanrader!
Tamara
May 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Finally, a portrayal of a single woman without the disdain or loneliness. Alice's twin brother recently died, and she stumbles on a project to keep her mind off of the loss: a 6-yr-old girl with a negligent mother and a stuffed bunny named Lucy. Alice becomes a foster parent struggling to find her place in a family dynamic that is constantly changing. An interesting side note: Alice is a sign language interpreter and the story takes place in Cleveland and Columbus.
Barb
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really moving look at a child as she moves through the foster care system. None of the characters is perfect and there is something to like about each of them. My heart goes out to anyone who finds themselves in a situation that requires foster care, but I believe that in many cases it is the best possible solution.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow. A great book about foster care and the experience of loving other people's children. Oddly enough, the mother in this book shares Jerzee's moms name and I can see some similarity in their cases. Willis does a great job of describing how quickly you can fall for a kid, and what that can do to your perceptions of biological parents, for better and worse. Loved it and read it very quickly.
Carla
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a bittersweet book about a woman who has lived a solitary life, and how she changes as her life intersects with that of a frightened child. Compelling and thoughtful, Willis explores the ambiguities of human relationships. A wonderful book.
Lauren
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't really know how to write my feelings for this book without spoiling it. It makes you think about your definition of love and family. It gives you hope that your life can change when you're least expecting it, and for the better if you work at it. The best book I've read all year.
Heather
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked this book - found myself thinking about it a lot even when I was not reading it. I think the beginning and the middle are a lot stronger than the ending, but the characters are complex and fascinating.
Susan
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the latest by the author of "Some things that stay"-- about a woman who becomes a foster parent and the complex issues involved--emotions that change a person. This book reminded me of "The Bone People" by Keri Hulme in some ways.
Becca
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good read - I was enthralled. I have often thought of being foster parents at some point in our lives so this was very eye opening and thought provoking. Although, I have to say, the author could have cut out some of the language . . .
Roxanne
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Found the book on a free pile and figured it would be a toss-away. No! Extremely readable. The emotions and actions felt authentic, obviously a product of good research and a generous portion of insight. I'll look for more of Willis' books.
Kat Jimenez
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked the realistic portrayal of the foster care system. I worked in the system for 10 years. I liked this clear story with nuances about forgiveness, love and redemption. It's fast read and I'd recommend it.
Suzanne
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. I was so involved in this story that I read the book in 2 days! The story starts with a random phone call to a wrong number and we watch this serendipitous moment change the lives of the central characters.
Greencolander
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a sweet book, a touching story of the growth of a 48 year old woman.
Christine
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though Alice has struggles like everyone else the story is more uplifting than “A Good Distance” also by Sarah Willis. The story has adventure, touches the heart and is true to life.
Barbara
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a very easy read about a 49-year old woman who ends up fostering a 6-year old. It was simple and enjoyable but a bit of a light right.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sweet In-Between
  • Awake
  • Raveling
  • Leading Ladies (Deaf Child Crossing #3)
  • B-Mother
  • The Greatest Discovery
  • What the Deaf-Mute Heard
  • Things Unspoken
  • Summer Gone
  • Everything Will Be All Right
  • Out of the Night That Covers Me
  • The Forgotten Village
  • Who Peed on My Yoga Mat?
  • What We Leave Behind

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This