Jump to ratings and reviews
Contains four fantasy adventures with Drizzt Do'Urden and his allies as they fight the vengeance-driven Spider Queen Lolth and her drow followers.

1077 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2001

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

R.A. Salvatore

390 books9,715 followers
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list and at # 4 on The New York Times best-seller list. His books have been translated into numerous foreign languages including German, Italian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Turkish, Croatian, Bulgarian, Yiddish, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Portuguese, Czech, and French.

Salvatore’s first published novel, The Crystal Shard from TSR in 1988, became the first volume of the acclaimed Icewind Dale Trilogy and introduced an enormously popular character, the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden. Since that time, Salvatore has published numerous novels for each of his signature multi-volume series including The Dark Elf Trilogy, Paths of Darkness, The Hunter’s Blades Trilogy, and The Cleric Quintet.

His love affair with fantasy, and with literature in general, began during his sophomore year of college when he was given a copy of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings as a Christmas gift. He promptly changed his major from computerscience to journalism. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications from Fitchburg State College in 1981, then returned for the degree he always cherished, the Bachelor of Arts in English. He began writing seriously in 1982, penning the manuscript that would become Echoes of the Fourth Magic. Salvatore held many jobs during those first years as a writer, finally settling in (much to our delight) to write full time in 1990.

The R.A. Salvatore Collection has been established at his alma mater, Fitchburg State College in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, containing the writer’s letters, manuscripts, and other professional papers. He is in good company, as The Salvatore Collection is situated alongside The Robert Cormier Library, which celebrates the writing career of the co-alum and esteemed author of young adult books.

Salvatore is an active member of his community and is on the board of trustees at the local library in Leominster, Massachusetts. He has participated in several American Library Association regional conferences, giving talks on themes including “Adventure fantasy” and “Why young adults read fantasy.” Salvatore himself enjoys a broad range of literary writers including James Joyce, Mark Twain, Geoffrey Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dante, and Sartre. He counts among his favorite genre literary influences Ian Fleming, Arthur Conan Doyle, Fritz Leiber, and of course, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Born in 1959, Salvatore is a native of Massachusetts and resides there with his wife Diane, and their three children, Bryan, Geno, and Caitlin. The family pets include three Japanese Chins, Oliver, Artemis and Ivan, and four cats including Guenhwyvar.

When he isn't writing, Salvatore chases after his three Japanese Chins, takes long walks, hits the gym, and coaches/plays on a fun-league softball team that includes most of his family. His gaming group still meets on Sundays to play.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 101 reviews
Profile Image for Jonas.
14 reviews
October 13, 2007
Drizz't is the fantasy equivalent of Steven Seagal. Emminently skilled in a fight, exciting, even, but with the emotional range of a porcupine in a valium coma. The characters aer cliched, and the plots are stereotypical D&D drivel. Nothing new or interesting here, just melodramatic fantasy fare.
Profile Image for JD.
94 reviews5 followers
April 15, 2010
So, I enjoyed these books. Not the most intellectual, but for a fantasy lover that is looking for a fun but easy read, these are good. The fourth book ends without wrapping up all the loose ends, to entice you to his next series I'm sure, but wraps up enough to not leave the reader unsatisfied.

The characters of these books are basically well developed D&D characters, which is what the Forgotten Realm books are all based on. They have the traits that are expected and, yet, Salvatore finds interesting ways to tweak the basic D&D molds just a little, to make the characters different and interesting. But because they are based on a specific mold, the characters tend to not have too much depth (thus adding to the book’s fun read, but not too thought provoking status).

I would say that Salvatore has two main strengths in the books I have read so far. His playing of the characters off of one another is wonderful, often making me laugh out loud while reading. The camaraderie of the companions seems real and sincere, not forced. His other strength is in his detail of battle scenes, especially fights involving the main character, Drizzt. You feel like you’re in the action, without him adding so many details that they weigh down and slow the action.
Profile Image for Andy.
4 reviews4 followers
Currently reading
October 27, 2015
It's been close for 4 years before finally returning to the forgotten realms. Been on such a fantasy kick as of late. Opening this book was like instantly meeting up with old friends and not missing a beat with them. Drizzt, Wulfgar (personal favorite), Bruenor, Regis, and Cattie-brie all return much to my delight. The action is fast and furious from the offset. It's Salvatore in his element. Juggling Salvatore, Pratchett, and Jordan at the same time has sent my fantasy heart a flutter.

Legacy of the Drow looks to continue the adventures of everyone's favorite Dark Elf and his fellowship. It's good to be home.
Profile Image for Jesse.
1,023 reviews11 followers
January 7, 2009
Okay, so there are four books in this series, but I'm gonna write about them all at once. The book titles are: "Legacy", "Starless Night", "Seige of Darkness", and "Passage to Dawn".
The first book opens with Drizzt coming back to see his friends at Mithril Hall(I don't remember where he's been). Cattie Brea and Wulfgar are engaged to be married (kinda strange, since they are both the adopted children of Brunor Battlehammer).
Anywho, Regis comes back too. But its not really Regis, but Artimis Enteri magict to look like Regis. He tells Wulfgar that Drizzt wants his lady for his own. This makes the two friends fight.
Then all of the companions delve into a portion of Mithril Hall that has been over run by goblins. There is a cool battle and victory.
Then, Drizzt older sister has decided to bring Drizzt back to Menzoberanzan for punishment and to, once again, apease the evil goddess of the Drow. I think she turns her brother into a drider (half drow, half giant spider) to help her find and fight Drizzt. When the fight finally happens, Drizzt's sister summons a demon called a Yachol which kills Wulfgar and takes Brunor's eye before they destroy it. Everyone is devastated (including the reader, 'cause this is like book 8 and no one has died yet), but Drizzt blames himself, 'cause its his family that are messing with everybody.
I need to read it again, I don't remember how they kill all the drow and the drider...but rest assured that everyone of the bad guys dies.

I just remebered that Enteri is working with the drow the whole time in this book. Fights Drizzt in a cave in the end, and is sent to his doom, crashing down the wall of a clif...but he is saved by his magical cloak that makes him glide...

In book two, Drizzt is so ashamed of his past and his evil race that he decides to sneak away from Brunor's Mithril Hall and go back to Menzoberanzzen and face his fate. Cattie Brea discovers his plan after he leaves and races after him to bring him back. Brunor stays home, wallowing in his grief.
Artimis Enteri has somehow joined up with the drow and is helping the group of drow assasins, Bregen D'Arthre. He is feeding them information (I don't remember what it is), thinking that it will help him to defeat his nemisis, Drizzt, but really he finds himself at the utter mercy of the evil drow.
I don't remeber all the details, but eventually Drizzt is captured by the drow and given to the House Banre (the most powerful of all the houses in Menzoberanzzan) to be tortured for information about the Dwarves in Mithral Hall and then to the dark goddess, Lloth.
Cattie Brea, after a few run-ins with goblins and displacer beasts, finds her way through the underdark to the city. She and Enteri make a shaky agreement to work together to rescure Drizzt and escape from the underdark. They fight the house guards of Banre (Minitaurs, pretty cool), and save Drizzt from his fate.
There is an epic battle on a brige between two stalagmites, high above the city floor, between Drizzt and the weapons master of house Banre. Drizzt wins and takes the drow's bracers of speed. Then the three use some kind of explosive to blow up a giant stalagmite, which falls on the ancient Banre temple and destroys it.
They escape to the upper tunnels, dogged all the time by the drow, but they get away and go their seperate ways.

In the third book (which is the best one, in my humble opinion), House Banre decides to mobilize and attack the Dwarves of Mithril Hall. We find out that Maton Banre has the ancient king of Mithril Hall's soul trapped in a jewel. She uses it to force him to tell her the best way to attack the dwarven city.
There are lots of cool things about this book and it's characters. There are new and interesting drow; like a giant drow taht has filed his teeth and wears his hair all punkrock spicky, and while Matron Banre is not a new character, she takes a front row seat in this book and really gets into her battle plans.
Sunddenly I remeber that part of this takes place during the Time of Toubles (when the gods fell and there was no magic). There's this whole aside where the 3rd house in Menzoberanzan (a house full of psionisis) starts to attack the 2nd, and then,the 1st house. Here is where Matron Banre really shows her true colors. Apparently the Time of troubles doesn't last all that long, and Banre is able to get her magic back and utterly destroy the 3rd house (giant black tenticals reach up from a bottomless cliff and litterally tear the 3rd house from the face of Mensoberanzan and into the rift...pretty cool).
I also remember the Gutbuster Brigade! A group of dwarven soldiers that fight in a very interesting, strange mannor. They don't weild weapons, persae, but wear armor that is covered in spikes (the leader, whos name slipps my mind, but is also a character in the first and second book...and in most of the books to come, has a 3 foot spike on his helmet). They whip themselves into a battle frenzy and launch themselves at an enemy. Once they've got one, they hold on and convulse! HA!! Rediculous, but somehow wonderful...In the final battle, these dwarves are actually using a special sideways catapult (built for combat in caves) to launch their companions into battle.
To be honest, I don't really remember what goes on with the major characters; Drizzt, Catie Brea, and Brunor are definitly a part of the story, but I don't know what they do in it...I recall that they are still sad about Wulfgar dying and I think that Brunor works a lot with the Battlehammer clan's clerics making bombs or something...but I really don't remember much.
In the final battle, some displaced deep gnomes join the dwarves (these are refugees from Blingdenstone, a deep gnome city that has been destroyed by the drow), Alustrel comes to fight with her magic and flaming/flying chariot, and some other men, too (I don't remember from where). The drow are fighting on the surface and in the tunnels, and with Matron Banre's magic and clerical powers, they are winning. But then....in the very begining of the book, Lloth gives a gift (a piece of stone) to a demon prince. She tells him that she wants him to give it to one of his underlings, and have the underling give it to Matron Banre at a specific time...that time turns out to be right in the middle of the battle. This piece of stone radiates an anti-magic field (from the time of troubles), and negates all of Matron Banre's magical defenses and offencse!! This gives Drizzt just enough time to attack her when she is nothing but an ancient weak drow. And goodness wins the day! Everybody is beat up, but no one died this time. All and all, a good story.

In the last book, the story kinda dwindles for me. Drizzt recieves some kind of message that a spirit that is important to him is being tormented by Erttu (remember him? The Demon that Drizzt defeated in 'Streams of Silver'?). So, Drizzt beleaves that it's his father, Zak, whos been captured by the vengeful demon, and he is determined to rescue the lost soul.
Catti Brea joins Drizzt on his journy, and the two of them hook up with the captian of the 'Sea Sprite'(the ship they took to Calimshan in 'The Halflings Gem'). They do some pirate fighting and I think Brunor shows up with Alustrel's flaming chariot to save the day in one of the battles.
They have to go on this wild goose chase to get clues that will lead them to Zak and the Demon. Through all their trials and tribulations, Cattie Brea and Drizzt are hinting at love, but who has time for romance when you're fighting undead pirates and sea trolls (I think...), so it remains only a hint. Eventually, they track the demon all the way back to the ice-rimmed coast of Icewind Dale. Here, there is an epic battle between Drizzt, Cattie Brea, Bruenor, and Errtu in an ice cave. And we find out (there might have been clues all along the way) that the tormented spirit is not Drizzt's father, Zak; but Wulfgar, the trio's long lost companion. I think he fights along side them, but is weak and stuff from living in the abyss for however many years he was gone...The good guys win, but I can't remember exactly how it happens, I'm sure its fantastic.

SOOO, that's the end....it's become painfully obvious that I need to read these book again if I'm gonna remember what they are really about...

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
4 reviews
May 17, 2018
Yet another good collection in the series. It is a bit long and drags a bit towards the end, but the plot twists keep you on your toes.
Profile Image for Michael.
50 reviews16 followers
March 4, 2011
Legacy is a great collection of 4 books with everyone's favorite Drow Drizzt Do'Urden! Collecting the books 7-10 of the Legend of Drizzt.

Book 1 Legacy: In the first book starts off right where the last book of Icewind Dale Trilogy leaves off. The Dwarves are busy at work in there reestablish Mithril Hall and Drittz feels as if he finally been accepted and at home. However, old enemies lurk and threaten the Drittz and his friends. Legacy is full of action and in the end it appears nothing will be the same.

Book 2 Starless Night: While everyone else is in a state of depression. Drittz realize that his past once again has put the people he cares about most in danger and ventures off on his own to learn and stop the Drow's plans. He runs into old friends and with the help of his friends and unlikely ally does he start to realize that he need stop blaming himself for his heritage and pulls off an exciting escape from his homeland.

Book 3 Siege of Darkness: Perhaps one of the biggest battles and excitement in the Legacy Collection and in the Legend of Drizzt so far. Mithril Hall is under siege from evil Drow and it becomes a battle of survival.

Book 4 Passage to Dawn: After the battle Catt-Brie and Drittz decides on exploring the world and learning there place in it. They happen upon and old ship captain friend and join with him on his pirate hunting missions. Drittz and Catt-Brie become closer friends during this time and have come to enjoy the adventure life style. This until a evil from Drittz past once again intervenes with intent on torturing him. It full of twists and in the end Drittz finally realize where his home is truly is.

The Legacy of the Drow continues to build on the characters and throw new obstacles that teaches Drittz who he is and learns many life lessons. The book is highly recommended to those that enjoyed the other two trilogies Dark Elf and Icewind Dale. Now I will move on to reading other books and return soon to read more adventures of the Legendary Drittz Do'Urden.
Profile Image for Teresa.
35 reviews3 followers
February 11, 2008
Previous series The Dark Elf Trilogy, and Icewind Dale Trilogy.

With Bruenor back on the throne in Mithral Hall, Drizzt decides to pay a visit to his home town. Catti-brie tags along and after reeking havoc in the underworld, they barely escape alive. Battle again comes their way when the dark elves decide to wage war as pay back.

I'd follow this series with The Cleric Quintet. Drizzt is not actually in this series, some of the main characters end up in future series, so I'd recommend reading it before Paths of Darkness... etc.

I believe that R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the fight scenes until I read other fantasy and felt like the battles were lacking in depth and detail. I've read almost everything Forgotten Realms except the very recent, and would recommend it to any fantasy lover. Also, if you are new to fantasy, this would be a great starting place! These books are very black/white, good/evil. It's a fun read and easy to fall in love with the characters.
Profile Image for Owen.
98 reviews5 followers
January 8, 2008
No real surprises here, just 1,000+ pages of vengeance plotting, narrow escapes and overly detailed sword fights, but hey, it worked for Robert E. Howard...
Update: Ok the first 3 books still get two stars, but "Passage to Dawn" gets four. Taking the characters back out into The Realms makes book 4 a lot more interesting. There is a great mix of new characters and some old friends returning, the dwarves and barbarians continue to squabble in ever more complicated ways, and Errtu makes a great bad-guy, this is Salvatore at his best!
Profile Image for Nynke.
160 reviews25 followers
November 24, 2017
Salvatore s writing style is becoming a bit longwinded and plot lines very predictable. whereas i read the dark elf trilogy cover to cover, here i find my self pauzing for a few months between books to read somethimg else. still a great world to escape to though.

last book really picks the pace up again. so added star for that.
Profile Image for Dante Carlisle.
Author 5 books14 followers
March 9, 2017
As always I loved this book. R.A Salvatore has a way of bringing classic fantasy together with deep, philosophical insights that amazes me to this day. Fantastically written, and can't recommend highly enough.
Profile Image for Joe.
141 reviews
April 3, 2018
After reading the first six Drizzt’s books and enjoying them immensely I was somewhat disappointed with these next four. Still, it was nice to journey with old friends and I’ll give the next books a chance in hopes they rise to the level of the old.
Profile Image for Brian Haslett.
32 reviews
January 29, 2020
I remember this book being kind of up and down for me. I liked it as a whole, but there were times I grew frustrated or even bored (mostly because of stuff w/ Entreri and Wulfgar). These books deal with Drizzt's legacy as a Drow, his inability to escape the shackles of his heritage, and how it comes to affect the bonds he's built since he's settled on the surface. At times it's a bit of a slow burner, but the second two books really pick up. Seige of Darkness is pretty much what it sounds like, and was my favorite of the four books. Passage to Dawn deals more with Errtu and Crenshinibon, but also a very key plot point involves Lolth herself and fallout from some of the early battles. It's an intereresting part of these tales in its own right, since Crenshinibon plays into later plot points dealing with the Sellswords trilogy, which is best described as the adventures of Jarlaxle and Entreri (and was much better than I expected).
692 reviews3 followers
October 15, 2020
This would be good for a young adult reader, or someone who just needs some action fluff.

The first three books feel like a 2 to me, with the last book feeling like it tied the first three together, being maybe a 3. I think the first 2/3 or 3/4 of the collection is just a bit dull.

This writing is kind of flat in the first two books, feeling repetitive with previous stories of fights on caves against evil soulless drow. On the boat, things become more engaging with variety. The lighthearted humor of the mages contrasts weirdly with the dark of the other two books, however. The wrap up at the end has better pacing.
Profile Image for David Phipps.
661 reviews1 follower
March 26, 2018
I had a hard time with this four book quartet. There were numerous times that I wanted to give up on it but I stuck with it. It got to a point where all the characters were tiresome and predictable. The few times that someone actually gets the better of Drizzt were spoiled by the enemies being dumb or fighting among themselves. Again, Salvatore is good at writing action scenes but the primary characters are so overpowered with magical loot that there is not much tension and everything feels repetitive. I think I'm done with Salvatore and don't really want to read any more of his books.
Profile Image for Angela.
235 reviews46 followers
July 21, 2018
My only argument is that the first three stories are directly related with the last, although chronologically in place would’ve been more fitting in the next collection. I always enjoy the five companions adventures.
232 reviews1 follower
June 27, 2019
Wow, that was a long read (1080 pages over four books) but the story continues to surprise you and delight you! Very talented author and obviously a great storyteller! Last few chapters are the very best and really stokes you to want to read book 4! Can’t wait! Love this series!
Profile Image for Snowy.
151 reviews
April 27, 2020
Still great. Great characters and big steps forward in terms of dealing with past issues. I liked going back to Menzobarrenzon, liked the gray aspect of the characters, liked the "romance" or lack thereof. I'm still going full steam ahead with the next book.
Profile Image for Pau Mondelo.
182 reviews
December 8, 2021
Edición un poco más chula con su estuchito de cartón para los 4 libros que formaron parte de "El legado del drow". Aquí no entran "El estigma de Errtu", "La columna del mundo" ni "El siervo de la piedra". Aunque forman parte de la consecución de la saga.
Profile Image for Charlie.
546 reviews21 followers
October 14, 2022
There are some good things in here and not not so good things about this writing. I was disappointed mostly by character development and story endings and it seems that this is still not living up to the hype of DRIZZT.
7 reviews
November 1, 2017
I couldn't believe Drizzt when back to his home and then got out alive. I also can believe he and his allies beat back his race when they came to take over Mithral Hall.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Tara.
18 reviews13 followers
March 3, 2019
Each page as wonderful as the last.
Profile Image for Madge.
230 reviews1 follower
July 14, 2021
As usual, a pleasure to delve further into philosophical Drizzt Do’Urden's journey.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 101 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.