Start by marking “The Knowledge of the Holy” as Want to Read:
The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy by popular evangelical author and Christian mystic A.W. Tozer illuminates Gods attributesfrom wisdom, to grace, to mercyand in doing so, attempts to restore the majesty and wonder of God in the hearts and minds of all Christians. A modern classic of Christian testimony and devotion, The Knowledge of the Holy shows us how we can rejuvenate our ...more
Published October 6th 1978 by HarperOne (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Knowledge of the Holy, please sign up.
Luke Scripture records that Jesus had four brothers and at least two sisters, in Mark 6:3 and Matthew 13:55-56. Technically, though, they are all…moreScripture records that Jesus had four brothers and at least two sisters, in Mark 6:3 and Matthew 13:55-56. Technically, though, they are all half-siblings, since Jesus did not have an earthly, biological father.
Scripture upholds the virgin birth just as clearly as it denies the perpetual virginity of Jesus' mother, Mary.
In the earliest church, the virgin birth was maintained but "perpetual virginity" is not mentioned for the first couple of centuries, as I understand it.
Some argue based on John 19:26-27 that Mary had no children to care for her; however, pairing this with the other scriptures mentioned above means that there must be some other reason that Jesus pronounced John to be Mary's caretaker.(less)
David Haron I don't think I understand the question. Also- I don't think this is the right book to read if you are interested in finding out more about the life…moreI don't think I understand the question. Also- I don't think this is the right book to read if you are interested in finding out more about the life and family of Jesus Christ.(less)

Start your review of The Knowledge of the Holy
Joanna Jones
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holy-books
I have always enjoyed Tozer. He is direct and yet gentle as he exhorts his readers to walk closer to the Lord. Knowledge of the Holy is a classic Tozer work. I bought this book at discounted price from here: https://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Holy... ...more
Matt
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with the right hearts but wrong heads, sadly the exact opposite of who will probably read it.
Having never before read A.W. Tozer, I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, and if I expected anything I'm not sure that this was it.

The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God: Their Meaning in the Christian Life is a study in the unstudiable. It is a scrutiny of that which is inherently inscrutable. It is therefore I think doomed from the start, for the knowledge that it would convey is inexpressible and the wisdom it would impart is far beyond man's understanding.
Sushant
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

There was a story I learned growing up. Five blind men who did not know what an elephant was like found an elephant. Since they could not see, they felt around to imagine what an elephant would be like. One felt the leg and said, "An elephant is like a tower!". Another felt the trunk and said, "No! it is more like a python!". Another felt the tail and said," No! An elephant is more like a rope!". Another felt the stomach and said," You are all wrong! An elephant is like a big sack!"
Robbie Pruitt
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nothing is more important than a right understanding of God, or "thinking rightly about God." In Knowledge of the Holy, A.W. Tozer states, "The Church has surrendered her once lofty concept of God and has substituted for it one so low, so ignoble, as to be utterly unworthy of thinking, worshipping men." Tozer is addressing idol worship that many fall into by thinking wrongly about God.

It is into this reality that Tozer speaks in his book, Knowledge of the Holy, which is an excellent study of the
Natalie Weber
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a brief, but classic, work that I read in preparation for a Bible study in which I was involved this fall. There are 23 chapters, each only several pages long, that expound on some of the many attributes and aspects of Gods nature. A statement in the preface encapsulates nicely why it is so critical to study God: It is impossible to keep our moral practices sound and our inward attitudes right while our idea of God is erroneous or inadequate. In the first chapter, Tozer adds, A right ...more
Nina
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another of Tozer ' s gems. A description of a selection of God's attributes. It is popular now to talk of God in terms of being a god of love. This diminishes Him by making him into a god of one dimension. God operates with an infinite number of attributes ( many we are most likely unaware of) and all simultaneously and equally. By limiting Him we reduce his influence on the world and our lives.
Michael
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
A.W. Tozer begins chapter one saying, "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." This is more or less an agreeable statement, however, the view Tozer takes of God is in many ways an antithesis of who God is. The most profound offence is his neglect of the love of God. While for Tozer everything else such as God's Justice and Omnipotence is a scriptural certitude but when it comes to the sentence "God is love," suddenly Tozer becomes a 19th century ...more
Michael Locklear
"The Knowledge of the Holy" is a wonderful classic by A. W. Tozer, where he deals with the Divine Attributes of God, such as:
The self-existence of God
The self-sufficiency of God
The immutability of God
The eternity of God
The wisdom of God
And more... His faithfulness, love, mercy, grace, holiness, sovereignty, that He is all-knowing (omniscience), all-powerful (omnipotent) and ever-present (omnipresence).
This is a marvelous little classic worth reading and meditating over. Add it to your
Grace
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I loved the whole premise of keeping God exalted above all, and our main concern. When you get focused enough and in love enough with just who God is and what hes done for you, you become truly satisfied. We as humans could definitely use that reminder of God more often. Just forgetting the world and following Christ with everything you are. Hard to keep in mind constantly. ...more
Ayden Osman
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and I would recommend it to every Christian our there! Its extremely important to know who our Lord is, and this book covered that so well! It can be a bit of a hard read, but when you figure out what hes saying, you not only feel super smart because you know what hes talking about, but you also learn so much! Its very well written, and a very important read. ...more
Michael
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Michael by: Rodney Cripps
In this work, Tozer tackles arguably the most important question in lifeWho is God? He correctly ascertains that so as we think about God, so as life goes. And in his attempt to tell what God is like, he succeeds in at least outlining the major characteristics of God as held by classical, orthodox Christianity.
Id venture to guess that concepts of Gods unity, simplicity, and being arent being discussed, much less understood, outside of a few seminaries, and most of them Catholic. The format in
Logan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, christian
An exceptional book that serves as a condensed systematic theology. Very simple and easy-to-read, with brief but deep chapters. Each chapter covers an aspect of God and is continuously pointing to how majestic God truly is. This is not meant to be a "one-stop-shop" for your theology but it's a fantastic starting point for beginning a study.
Taija
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Christian should read this book.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Almost every heresy that has afflicted the church has arisen from believing about God things that are not true or from overemphasizing certain true things to overshadow others that are equally true." A wonderful exploration into the truths of God and the importance of recognizing that all of these attributes are present all of the time, without contradiction.

Tozer doesn't leave the book without challenging us to put that knowledge into action as "there is a glorified Man on the right hand of
Brett Monge
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each chapter discusses attributes of God. Theological, precise, common-sense and very quotable. Lots of good nuggets in a book of about 120 pages.
Alex
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this little book. A.W. Tozer explores the many attributes of God in a way that is refreshing and life-giving. I suggest reading this book slowly to be able to take it all in.
Leslie Godwin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Knowledge of the Holy, by A.W. Tozer, was my first experience actually reading something by the famous, often quoted Tozer. I have to say it wasn't quite what I expected. The Knowledge of the Holy explores the nature of God by looking at *some* of His attributes. This wouldn't be my go-to for new believers. The speech is lofty and Tozer uses circular logic/reasoning at times. That being said, there were some really great analogies and metaphors, and a few of the chapters really stirred my ...more
Mwansa Ndemi
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book causes you to think of God in all his majesty and glory. It did so by exposing how my thinking of God was a lot lower than it should be considering the awesome and glorious majesty of God. A true desire to know God as revealed in his word will inevitably result in true and reverent worship of him both privately and publicly.

Tozer shows that we will never fully understand God because he is beyond us. However what he has given us in his word is enough to drown us in his awe and majesty.
Bill
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at a rate of one chapter each morning, kind of devotional theology to go along with regular bible reading and prayer. It was an experiment, and it was great it may reveal more about my personality than anything else, but I find this kind of theological reading much more encouraging and practically helpful than typical devotional material that I have read in the past. The book itself is known as a classic, and deservedly so. Tozers intense, earnest style is perfectly suited to a ...more
Lyn Mahler
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Christian classic should be read and reread by anyone seeking to understand the character of God. Written in short, but deep chapters, each covers a singular attribute of God and with impeccable logic, Tozer intertwines them to bring us near to the Divine.
Abby Brown
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I appreciated Tozers method of explaining attributes of God. It was refreshing to read about the importance of His attributes as well as the what that means when the Christian approaches God (or the world). I did not, however, appreciate Tozers take on Gods love. He seemed quite agitated with the fact that the Bible says God is love and believes that this statement implies we ought to worship love as we worship God. He wanted to note that the Bible should say God is what love is because that ...more
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most impactful books to open my eyes to how great of a God we serve. It's a brain workout, but a good one and an important one.
Shane Scott
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing amount of profound theology packed into a small volume, and communicated in simple and concise language.
Laurel Hicks
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One can hardly go wrong with Tozer.
Robert Vincent
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Knowledge of the Holy A.W. Tozer

In my early Christian life I had made it a practice to read this book every year. Now after I had stopped doing that after several years, a bible study partner mentioned he had been reading Knowledge of the Holy. That prompted me to pick it up again and I finished reading it in three sittings. It is indeed a short book filled with a wonderful word display of the attributes of God.

Tozer does lead the reader to a good understanding of the person of God in the best
Candice
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Candice by: Matt Styles
For a mere review from me reduces any holiness for the grandiose scale of the book though short in quantity however irrelevant to quality, I've added quotes that touched me.

Reflection upon revealed truth naturally follows the advent of faith, but faith comes first to the hearing ear, not to the cogitating mind. The believing man does not ponder the Word and arrive at faith by a process of reasoning, nor does he seek confirmation of faith from philosophy or science. His cry is, "O, earth, earth,
Destin Givens
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read to date on the Attributes of God, and quite possibly the most helpful book of theology I've read to date.

Tozer's handling of God's attributes are done from a perspective of awe and reverence. Never have I seen such a mix of stout theological rigor and love/adoration.

Reading this caused me to want to know my Holy Father more. Not just to know more about Him in theory but to know Him intimately. To chase after this great prize which is the knowledge of God. To have
Amy Litzelman
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A.W. Tozer is much love and respected with good reason. He speaks truth in straight forward sentences that cause the reader to stop and ponder. The first line of "The Knowledge of the Holy" grabbed my heart and attention so fully that it took me most of the day to get past it as I savored it over and over... and I go back to it again and again as a favorite quote:

These types of statements cannot be written
Rosalie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's just say this is one of very few books that I'd fish-slap people in the face with and say "READ THIS BOOK YOU'LL THANK ME LATER." It's an excellent, thoughtful, ardent, reverent look at the character of God and his attributes with the aim that when Christians think about God, they will think about him as he IS, not as they want or wrongly imagine him to be.
Jim Golden
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about a book that gives you a first hand look into the face of God except I hope you enjoy it as much as I did as many times as I did. This is a book that you will return to time and time again as you seek God's Holy Spirit to turn its truth into revelation in your life.

• The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
  • The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
  • The Cost of Discipleship
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in

News & Interviews

“Any faith that must be supported by the evidence of the senses is not real faith.” 234 likes
“We might be wise to follow the insight of the enraptured heart rather than the more cautious reasoning of the theological mind.” 104 likes