Start by marking “The Enigma of Anger: Essays on a Sometimes Deadly Sin” as Want to Read:
The Enigma of Anger: Essays on a Sometimes Deadly Sin

The Enigma of Anger: Essays on a Sometimes Deadly Sin

Rage, resentment, envy, jealousy, and hatred-- these emotions seem to dominate our times. They rule our highways, our workplaces, our homes, and our hearts. In this provocative book of essays, writer Garret Keizer considers anger in all its baffling forms. Poignantly aware of his own temper, and of his ties to a religion that glorifies meekness, the author looks at anger a ...more
Published May 24th 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Enigma of Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enigma of Anger

Joe
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Garret Keizer, an Episcopalian minister from Vermont, has written a fantastic analysis on Anger. I enjoyed most his perceptions that humanize anger from both a philosophical and a secular perspective. Upon finishing this book, I accept my anger and feel that I better understand it.
Lisa Beaulieu
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this author. I picked the book up because I have a terrible time with anger myself, but what I found was so much more than a guide or how to book. Each chapter is it's own intelligent and deep essay unto itself. His prose is beautiful, his intelligence profound - he's our generations CS Lewis. Well, I better wait until I read more of his books before I make such a rash statement! And I do indeed intend to read the rest of his books.
Carolyn
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was hoping to find some answers, some techniques for dealing with my own anger. Couldn't manage to finish this books of thoughtful and well-written essays, by an Episcopal priest, who, as the best of Episcopal priests do, questions himself and our Judeo-Christian written heritage.

Good for a study group.
Susan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Theology is not my favorite thing to read, but I will gladly immerse myself in the thoughts of Keizer, a Vermont teacher and writer, whatever his subject matter. Keizer wrestles with anger himself, trying to balance righteous rage with what's traditionally one of the seven deadly sins. Although this is a serious work, the writing is easy to appreciate.
Bill DeGenaro
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Anger in the face of injury is a mechanism for survival, no less than the clotting of our blood. Forgiveness is the scar, and it comes later. Anger comes first, and like all created things, it is good."

Living without both: "[R]epeatedly entering a situation in which the flesh and blood people around us are less real to us and we to them than the phantoms occupying our attention."
Bob
Nov 07, 2013 added it
A poetic, philosophical take on understanding and (in some cases) redeeming anger, a book filled with unique insight and wisdom.
Allison
Oct 03, 2008
Kevin
rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2018
Garret Keizer is the author of eight books, the most recent of which are Getting Schooled and Privacy. A contributing editor of Harper's Magazine and a Guggenheim Fellow, he has written for Lapham's Quarterly, the Los Angeles Times, Mother Jones, The New Yorker, The New York Times, The Village Voice, and Virginia Quarterly Review, among other publications.

You can learn more about Keizer's work and