Start by marking “Theology and Sanity” as Want to Read:
Theology and Sanity

Theology and Sanity

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
One of Sheed's most popular books, this ideal volume for the layman shows the practical aspects of theology in the life of a Christian believer. Logic, clarity, and simplicity permeate this eminently readable book.
Published September 1st 1993 by Ignatius Press (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Theology and Sanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theology and Sanity

Wanda
I think I'm going to love this book! Actually I already do, lol. so far its been a great book for a knowledge-seeker like myself. From p. 7:

"We can be saved and even holy without a great deal of knowledge; for holiness is in the will, and we are saved by what we love, not by how much we know. But knowledge of the truth matters enormously all the same. It matters for the reason we have already stated, namely, that every new thing known about God is a new reason for loving Him. It matters also for
Weronika Janczuk
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sheed offers an intense, cohesive, accessible, and altogether spectacular narrative summary of Catholic theology, for him the sole medium for understanding the reality of man, man's relationship with the Infinite, and the Infinite's role in the finite universe. His goal is to guide man toward sanity -- toward an understanding of Reality, and toward an ability to engage that Reality; he finds this sanity within Catholicism: "This Church, more rigid than any in dogma and law, is, as no other Churc ...more
Jeff Miller
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't give this book the reviews it deserves. Whatever feeble effort I provide will be lacking.

I remember loving this the first time i read it. Having such a clear thinker and a clear teacher at the same time seems so rare. How often can you read a major section on the Trinity and not be left dumbfounded or feeling the explanation was just not very good. You dive into the mystery wanting to dive farther.

♥ Ibrahim ♥
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Indeed, the chapter on the Trinity is the best. Fr Sheed puts it beautifully:

Now it is true that the doctrine of the Blessed Trinity is a mystery, and that we can know
it only by faith.
But what we have just been hearing is not the mystery of the Trinity,
it is not the mystery of anything, it is wretched nonsense.
It may be heroic faith to believe it, like the man who
Wished there were four of 'em
That he might believe more of 'em;
or it may be total intellectual unconcern?
God has revealed certain thin
Erik
Recommended by James Schall in Another Sort of Learning, Chapter 15, as one of Twelve Collections of Lectures and Reflections.

Included in the "Spiritual Reading" section of Fr. John McCloskey's 100-book Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.

Listed by Patrick Madrid in the Reading Plan of Search and Rescue in Phase 2 (Intermediate).
Jon
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book by an amazingly gifted author. He tackles issues of the faith and how it is necessary to have a sound theology in order to see reality properly. He doesn't allow people to take the easy way out, but forces them to logically think through the proponents of the faith. A great read!!!
Beth
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The more things change. The more they stay the same. This book could have been written last year instead of 70 years ago. Frank Sheed explains how being Catholic is the most rational approach to life and discovering your place in it
Kenneth
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Recommended to me by a Monsignor who rightly thought that the book represented the best from basic theological introductions to Roman Catholic thought.

Sheed is an excellent explainer of Catholic doctrines. Organized with an excellent presentation, the author writes the subject in a way that is both understandable as well as engaging. There is a romantic element to Catholic theology that Sheed spells out here with depth of clarity.

In the beginning, God is conceptually outlined with regard to the
Abe
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-home
You may think you already know the facts about the Trinity, who Jesus is, and why he came to die for us. But this book gives reasons for why those things are true, and why they are the best explanation of the evidence around us. If you want to write your own book on theology someday, start by reading this book, and you will have solid first principles on which to base your arguments.
Denise
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever.
I have been reading it for decades Ha Ha
It really is a refreshingly sane space in a
mad world.
I recommend it to anyone who loves God or
wants to know Him better.
Sam Fink
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book that draws deep passion but one that gnaws at your soul. Deepest thoughts placed in clearest light. A slow read because you realize you fall short on each note. It drives me to want to be a better person.
Lawrence
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good understanding of Catholic theology
This book is not necessarily for beginners but it's maybe the second or third theology book you should read. He has wonderful analogies. The end of the book isn't that great but it's definitely worth reading the first 4/5 of the book. His explanation of the Holy Trinity can't be beat.
Daniel Barker
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I took my time with this book and savored it because it is such a tonic and antidote to the insanity that prevails in the wider culture. A brilliant beacon of truth to those who have eyes to see. Highest recommendation.
Brett Salkeld
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Necessary reading for anyone with an interest in the Catholic view of the world. All the basics are covered with depth and clarity. A good start to properly catechizing the faithful would be to get all of them to read this book. Engaging. Essential.
Stephen Fahrig
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
A more expanded, "meatier" version of Sheed's other fine work, "Theology for Beginners." A great resource for developing one's theological understanding.
Susi
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Good book on theology.
Has a few inconsistencies.
SiSApis
Brilliant and essential.
Amicizia
Joe
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
B.leigh Cronin
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I could give it more stars, I would.
J Victor Tomaszek
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What else can I say about a book I've read cover to cover five times over the years and am still amazed at the truth I find in it.
Steve
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
An excellent primer that turns Catholic theology into common sense.
Kaylan O'byrne
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
thought this books was going to get down to the nitty-gritty and get some answers, but left me with asking more questions. maybe i didn't read it close enough. but it definitely got me thinking.
Carah
Apr 01, 2013 is currently reading it
Father-Daughter Book Club selection #1
David
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad. Chapter 7, "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" is worth reading twice.
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reality. That's what the book is about.
Paul
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Like an x-ray peering into the inner realities of God and Man. To live and love in reality is sanity. So many of us choose the insanity of pride and sin. This book uncovers reality to show us that sanity leads to sanctity. Like A good meal, this book deserves time to chew on and savor. Oh, and Sheed had the best explanation of the Trinity I've ever read.
Ellabella
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic-stuff
I highly, highly recommand this book. Frank Sheed is a fanastic writer whose depth of knowledge and ability to write clearly and understandably make this book so good. He gave answers to many things that I have always wondered about or not fully understood. I ended up with a deeper understand and appreciation for the Catholic Faith and a clear picture that Catholicism is Sanity.
Wendy Wong Schirmer
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
A solid unpacking of the logical consequences of Catholic belief, and the practical implications of the Catholic worldview.

Very accessible, and recommended for young Catholics going off to college, and for college students thinking about their vocations in light of becoming more mature believers.
James
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leisure-reading
Fantastic!!!!!

A beautifully deep, thorough, and yet concise insight into the Catholic vision of reality. This book is packed with wisdom, definitions, revealing analogies, and wonderfully explained doctrine. If you want to know how Catholics view reality as a whole (as a Catholic or not), this is it.
  • Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • An Essay On the Development of Christian Doctrine
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Love and Responsibility
  • The Great Heresies
  • The Catholic Church and Conversion
  • The Spirit of Catholicism
  • The Founding of Christendom (A History of Christendom, Vol. 1)
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • The Lord
Frank Sheed was a Catholic apologist and street-corner speaker originally from Australia. He lived in London from 1926 onward. Unlike many of the other prominent Catholic writers in England at that time Sheed was not a convert, but raised Catholic and of Irish descent. Along with his wife, Maisie Ward, he founded Sheed & Ward. The couple tend to be linked together in accomplishments. The coupl ...more
More about Frank Sheed

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Sanity, remember, does not mean living in the same world as everyone else; it means living in the real world.” 4 likes
“Man is a rational animal. But that does not mean that he is a reasonable animal. It means only that he has reason, and therefore can misuse it. If he had not reason, he could not be unreasonable. But he has, and is.” 3 likes