Start by marking “The Tree” as Want to Read:
The Tree

The Tree

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
There is a river flowing near me, and I?ve watched that river change and grow. For eight hundred years I have lived here, through the wind, the fire, and the snow. This powerful song of an ancient Douglas fir celebrates the age-old cycle of life in the Pacific Rain Forest, revealing the interconnectedness of all things. From the gentle whisper of owls' wings to the hauntin ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Illumination Arts Publishing Company (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree

Chelsea Radojcic
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I saw this book at the library and thought, 'The Tree'- I like that title. I hadn't seen or heard of it, no prior encounter, no one talking to me about it... just went right in with no previous expectation or prior influence. I love most anything nature related, and I really love trees, so I thought, I'll give it a shot- how can you go wrong with a tree book? The cover was nice, but only "nice," don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't jump out at you. The colors are s

KC
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely tale of the importance of trees and the danger our forests face with urbanization and foresting. The author wrote this book after spending time in Olympic Rain Forest-where my son works, hikes, and camps.
Auna
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated book. This is definitely a book for nature lovers, and maybe a good one to introduce on Earth Day.
Amanda
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Live and Love your Life!
Cecilia
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond beautiful. If you are a lover of nature and just enjoy picture books then this book is definitely for you. I would use this book in a third grade or fourth grade class to teach about nature. This book takes a look at what a tree is to the environment and how everything around it works and could drastically change if removed. It not only appeals to your emotions but it really makes you think about the consequences of the removal of a species from an area. In a class, the teach ...more
Linda
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you've ever spent time in the Pacific Rain Forests, you will begin to understand this song. The story is told by an ancient Douglas fir, of all it has seen in its long life of eight hundred years. The author shares that he spent time with this tree, listening to its 'song', thus the book was born. The words are beautifully illustrated by David Danioth in full colors, showing the forest life like the views of young owls learning to fly and feeling a grizzly's claws. When it projects its future ...more
Kristen Thompson
This book would be great for teaching about the rainforest and about helping preserve nature. In our society, we are polluting and cutting down a large majority of the nature around us. It will be especially important to stress the idea of helping preserve this and brainstorming ideas of how we can help to our students in the time they will be living in. It shows how trees have stories just like us. They actually have a lot more stories than we, as humans, do since they generally live a lot long ...more
Arie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book defined my relationship with my son and how we read together. Wonderfully magical images, hidden images in the images, and a hauntingly beautiful and authentic story. My son and I have read it so many times and find something new to discuss every time.
Wendy
My favorite song from Dana Lyons and I love the illustrations that make the song come to life. One of the schools that my children attended did a slide show and sang the song. The all wrote letters to Mr. Lyons about the way the song impacted them. I can also tell you that the song impacts adults also. I have also read this book at the Earth Day Celebrations at libraries.
Gwen Kaplan
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary
This book contains stunning and astonishingly beautiful illustrations. The text is simple and understated, and (I think) elegantly tells a very moving story. I find it impossible to feel anything but respect and awe for the tree in the story (and others like it in real life) that have seen so much history and are so central to their environments.
Monica Ver Meer
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-614
This story is written from the perspective of the tree on it's day to day happenings. It has joyful days, fearful days, and sad days. I would love to use this book in my room for teaching perspective and to show my writers that they can tell the story of any object.
Kerri
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the library for my preschool class. Our theme for the week was the environment/Earth Day. It turned out that my 4 yr. old daughter really enjoyed it, especially the illustrations. It also has a good message.
Kristin
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To a girl who grew up literally hugging trees, this was an amazing, beautiful, warm-and-fuzzy-yet-slightly-depressing read. The illustraions are so color-drenched and vivid that I might purchase a copy of this just so I can frame a few of the illustrations and display them in my house.
Christina
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Christina by: a teacher/co-worker
I LOVE this book. I can not say enough about the illustrations and the message! I recommend it for anyone - especially those who have children in their lives that they can share it with!
Tara
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Very nice, calm and rhyming. I wonder about the children chaining themselves to the tree, but overall, I liked it.
Rani
The song gifted by a Douglas Fir tree to the author!
Jobiska (Cindy)
Beautiful illustrations supplement the text that was originally a song by Dana Lyons. Owned by my sister the children's librarian, so I don't need a copy.
Esodhiambo
Perspective
Tree
Redwood

Simple text
Primary grades
What would you do if you saw a giant tree?
Sara Jones
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A few of the page layouts really captured me. It kind of went downhill after that.
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Gorgeous illustrations support a poem about what a giant old tree has observed in the natural world. Heavy-handed message (save trees!) but may appeal to children.
Nicki
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
From the trees perspective :)
Kattie Thalacker
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations in this book!
Julie
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and story
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Great story to encourage kids to care about humans' effects on the environment. A simple poem weaves this short book together but it is the wonderful illustrations that shine.
Kelly
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The images in this book are beautiful! Not much to the book, but can lead do meaningful discussion.
Iroquois
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
love the artwork! and it's a great book for kids, especially if u want a book that teaches respect for the environment,life and biodiversity. would make a great "green" book/gift for kids.
Beverly