Start by marking “Noisy Nora” as Want to Read:
Noisy Nora

Noisy Nora

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,205 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
It's tough being the middle mouse. No one's paying any attention to Nora, so she decides to do something her family can't ignore: make noise. Nora slams windows, bangs doors, and upsets furniture, to no avail. It's not until she crashes out the door--and the house goes strangely silent--that her family realizes: a noisy Nora is much better than no Nora at all
Paperback
Published June 1976 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1973)

Beyond the Pages
First of all, I absolutely did not like the word "dumb" as part of this story. We do not speak this way in our household. I was aghast when I came upon the word.

This book was about a middle child who wanted a little bit of attention. She exhibited acts that could easily be described in association with a temper tantrum. Unfortunately, the parents of this child neglected her until she went missing.

I definitely could have given a lower score than the one I gave, however, I elected to bump my rati
Naomi
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I sometimes (read: often) announce my departure with the words: “‘I’m leaving!’ shouted Nora, ‘And I’m never coming back!’”
Usually there’s no response but sometimes I get a “bye” or a “who’s Nora?”
Megan McMahon
Rosemary Well’s book, Noisy Nora, is the story of a young mouse’s struggle to get attention from her parents in her home.

The main character, Nora, feels that she does not get enough attention from her parents because they are too busy with her siblings. She tries to get their attention by being mischievous and making loud, noisy disruptions. Nora realizes that this is not working, as her parents continually tell her to be quiet. She became so fed up that she decided to leave and not come back. W
Heidi-Marie
My sister reads this book better than anyone I know. I find myself quoting it many times. Too many people are not familiar with the book. They are missing out. I was quite excited to meet the author and have her sign copies--one for each family member who had kids. I hope they continue the Nora legacy. :-)

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Using an ever-loved favorite for storytime--WITH all my (aka my sister's) sound effects--FANTASTIC! Both groups loved it. And I learned by the Thursday group to slow it dow
Jennifer B.
Noisy Nora is a bit of a brat, but she's a mouse, so I forgive her.
Melody
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-ya
Clever rhyming story about a middle child who feels ignored.
Nora Ramirez
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1- I did like this book because is a book of a family. It is a great book for children that need help understanding the different needs every child needs in a family. The book itself is an unique small book with a soft cover. The illustrations are nice and delicate with soft colors.

2- Children would respond with curiosity just by looking at the the cover with Noisy Nora. While reading this book, I will stop and explain that parents are full of love for everybody in the family. Since Noisy Nora
Jess
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nora has nothing to do but make a ruckus as she waits for her mother to feed the baby and her father to play chess with her sister. On and on it goes for poor Nora, but nothing gets anyone’s attention in this rhyming story until Nora says she’s running away. The illustrations are busy and fun, with Wells’ characteristic roly-poly rabbits, and so full of humor that’s it not hard to sympathize with Nora for flying a kite down the stairs, slamming the doors, and ultimately emerging from the broom c ...more
Rachel
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one we had at my house when I was a kid (thanks Mom and Dad). We checked it out at the library recently and I remembered how much I love it. It does contain a "running away" reference, but she actually hides in the closet rather than running away. I love how it so accurately describes the life of a middle child.
Marguerite
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff
A favorite in our household, and one we can still recite from memory, decades after we read it to our kids. Rosemary Wells has a firm but gentle grasp of family dynamics. The illustrations (in the 1973 edition we have) don't overwhelm the story. This was our favorite Wells' creation, followed by Timothy Goes to School and Hazel's Amazing Mother.
Ashlee
This book is on our 1st grade reading list and I should have previewed it better. Over and over in the book, Nora's sister says, "Nora, why are you so dumb?" I hate that word and regretted my son had read it so many times without me.
Kathryn
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captures perfectly the crushing agony of being the middle sibling and explores the jarring shifts that can occur in the family dynamic when the invisibled child takes matters into her own hands. If I could give it more than five stars, I would.
Miriam
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading aloud
Shelves: picture
It must be 20 years since I read this book, but I still have it memorized from rereading it so many times to my little sister. I think she empathized with Nora.
Amy
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hope L. Justice
Nora is very naughty, and while it is "cute" the book does not resolve this naughty behavior. She's run off and then come back to make a big mess. Her parents are just happy to see her, and I think this just sends the wrong message entirely to children. As an adult I enjoyed it and the illustrations are classic Wells, but I would not read this book to an impressionable young child without a serious conversation.
Alex Wills
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swear Rosemary Wells wrote two or perhaps three good books and then she had a stroke or something. And now she has ruined one of the good ones by kack-handedly tracing over the charming original art in crayon, why any editor would let her get away with it is beyond me. (For money you fool).
The other two good ones BTW, are "Benjamin and Tulip" and "Morris' disappearing bag".
Bruce
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With her parents busy caring for her older sister and baby brother, Nora makes as loud a ruckus as she can to get their attention.

This is a delightfully sly rhyme is drolly illustrated by the author. It's one of my all time favorites.
Alexis
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers, I don't like the sister's mantra "why are you so dumb?" There's no working through that either, it is just said over and over. The book teaches mean language and inappropriate ways to handle feelings.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I love most Rosemary Wells books, but I did not like this one.
Miss Sarah
Nora is not getting any attention in her household so she makes a lot of noise to be seen. Toddler and up
Amiya Rice
The spoiled child is upset because their mom i spending to much time with the younger sibling so she runs away. the theme is good but i wish i knew more about nora.
Jessicamcdowell
I really enjoyed this book. Noisy Nora is a great book to teach children the meaning of being patient. A great activity for this story would be tell the children to write down different activities Nora could have done while waiting for her parents.
Britney
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely enjoyed the message behind this story. The little mouse Nora was having a hard time waiting for her parents, and she is noisy to get attention. This is thee perfect book to show children what it is to be patient in life. It can open the door to show them that sometimes we may have to wait on things in life without getting upset or frustrated. The illustrations were so cute and you will have the students asking where did Nora go?
Margaret
Rereading this book after many years, I found it rather sad. The rhymes are kinda cute, and I love the illustrations, but can't the poor kid get a break?!
Shaquita
Noisy Nora was about a young mouse named, Nora, who hated to wait; so she felt that she needed to do anything and everything to win the attention of her family. She would make as much ruckus as possible just so that her parents can pay attention to her. Maybe you have a student like Nora who feels left out sometimes or hates waiting as well, so in order to get that desired attention they act out. This would be a good book to read to that impatient child. The only thing I would change about the b ...more
Personal reaction: I did not like this book really at all. I didn't like the plot of the story, as I felt it wasn't engaging or interesting and I had to read it twice for it to make sense. I also really did not like that it kept using the phrase "why are you so dumb?" This is not a book I would choose for my students to read.

Use in the classroom:

1. Read aloud for curricular connection: This book is too simple for a read aloud. It would not be a good choice for a read aloud.

2. Independent readin
Brenna Mclean
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noisy Nora is a short and cute story about a young mouse who wants attention from her family. Her parents are always busy doing something for her siblings and never have time to play with her or do what she wants. She tries to get attention by making noise and causing a commotion in the house. Finally, after she tried just about everything, she decides to run away and see if her family notices. Since the house is finally quiet, her family notices right away and begins to search for her. Nora com ...more
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Nora, everyone ignores her. Her parents are always doing something with her other brothers and sisters. Nora wanted attention, and everyone tells her that she has to wait. Nora does not want to wait. To get attention, Nora pretends to run away from home.
The illustrations for this edition of Noisy Nora have been completely redrawn from its original printing over 30 years ago. The illustrations are absolutely adorable. The mice are very friendly looking and colorful. The words go perfectly wi
Blair
Rosemary Wells's book Yoko has long been one of my favorite picture books, and my almost-two-year-old loves it, too. Therefore I had high expectations for Noisy Nora. We were even more excited about it because the main character, Nora, shares my daughter's first name.

We enjoyed the whimsical illustrations, but the story was disappointing. Although I appreciate the easy cadence of the rhyme, the story falls flat. It's about a young mouse who, when her parents are always busy tending her older and
Amar Pai
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Via: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, You’re Fucked: 10 Tips For Avoiding Terrible Children’s Books

Full list of recommendations from that article:

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems
The Amazing Machines series by Ant Parker and Tony Mitton
Noisy Nora, b
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • The Chick and the Duckling
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Clown
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • The Terrible Plop

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells