Start by marking “The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice

The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Dragon Who Never Sleeps is a collection of gathas—poetic vows for daily living in verse form—that are similar to prayers. Reciting these gathas can help us to face life's difficulties with understanding and humor. They serve as gentle reminders to live in the present, accept ourselves, and offer joy to others.
Published October 1st 1992 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Who Never Sleeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Who Never Sleeps

Xandri Fiori
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen
Language distilled into its most potent form, somehow lifting away temporal semantics in a few lines. Absolutely powerful and gorgeous.
Glen Gersmehl
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this remarkably thoughtful and insightful for poems in such a brief format. . .
Jim Baesler
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Using gathas, short poetry-like Buddhist verses connected to one's everyday activities, potentially intensifies one's religious/spiritual practice, and i welcome and encourage all to pursue this path to cultivating mindful awareness...the format for the gathas can be adopted and created by anyone...we can write our own gathas, customizing them to our own life circumstances, bringing another dimension of significance to the practice: the first line indicates the occasion, 2nd line is the vow (or ...more
iam
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Being a poet, I loved stumbling across this book for the first time on the sale rack of a local bookstore. My copy is tattered, dog-eared, and worn. I have written various verses from this book on post it notes to keep in my desk drawer at work or to stick on my bathroom mirror. This book inspired me to start the practice of writing gathas. My favorite gatha from this book:

Kicking a chair in the dark
I vow with all beings
To let the pain and surprise
Slow me down to this step, this step
Ellen
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not easy to get this book. It is verses for Zen Buddhist Practice, but with an everyday spin. Example:
Watching ants clean up the kitchen
to clean up the waste on my desk
and the leftover crumbs in my mind.

AND-
When anger raises my voice
I vow with all beings
to take the hand of the other
and conspire in silence for a while.

Great coaching tool.
Liz
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Gathas are the Buddhist equivalent of haikus which are recited or reflected upon to strengthen spiritual practice.

"Watching ants clean up the kitchen
to clean up the waste on my desk
and the leftover crumbs in my head."

Kent
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Example of one of the 100's of verses:

When my efforts are clearly outclassed

I vow with all beings

to face my own limitations

and bring forth my original self.

Yes, a man's got to know his limitations. Definitely a 5.
Melinda
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly dense and incredibly light at the same time. I fully expect to read this over and over throughout my lifetime. I find this little book packed with useful, moving, and mysterious gathas.
Al
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen, poetry
Beautiful Zen gathas - I found these extremely inspiring, and even wrote a few of my own after reading it.
Jeff
Sep 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Aitken is a retired master of the Diamond Sangha, a Zen Buddhist society he founded in Honolulu in 1959 with his late wife Anne Hopkins Aitken.

A lifetime resident of Hawai‘i, Aitken Rōshi is a graduate of the University of Hawai‘i with a BA degree in English literature and an MA degree in Japanese studies. In 1941, he was captured on Guam by invading Japanese forces, and interned in Japan
More about Robert Aitken...
“The Buddha's original teaching is essentially a matter of four points -- the Four Noble Truths:

1. Anguish is everywhere.
2. We desire permanent existence of ourselves and for our loved ones, and we desire to prove ourselves independent of others and superior to them. These desires conflict with the way things are: nothing abides, and everything and everyone depends upon everything and everyone else. This conflict causes our anguish, and we project this anguish on those we meet.

3. Release from anguish comes with the personal acknowledgment and resolve: we are here together very briefly, so let us accept reality fully and take care of one another while we can.

4. This acknowledgement and resolve are realized by following the Eightfold Path: Right Views, Right Thinking, Right Speech, Right Conduct, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Recollection, and Right Meditation. Here "Right" means "correct" or "accurate" -- in keeping with the reality of impermanence and interdependence.”
79 likes
“Watching gardeners label their plants
I vow with all beings
to practice the old horticulture
and let plants identify me.”
4 likes