Start by marking “Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares

Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares

(Fourth Doctor-Talking Books)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
'Wanted: retired army Captain for light household duties and fireside companionship. Must tolerate mild eccentricity and strong scientific advice. Knowledge of Giant Maggots, Super Intelligent Spiders and Prehistoric Monsters a positive boon.' Responding to an advert apparently worded for him alone, Captain Mike Yates (retired) is reunited with a ghost from the past. But w ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published September 2009 by BBC Physical Audio

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Wendy
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Fans of Doctor Who on audio have been hoping for years that Tom Baker would return to play the part on audio, since he's the only surviving "classic series" Doctor not to have reprised the role in a full-cast audio drama. So, when Hornets' Nest, a series of 5 linked audio dramas featuring Tom Baker, was announced, the anticipation quickly mounted. This story would have had to be an absolute classic to live up to fan expectations, and it doesn't quite manage that.

The reactions of many fans, myse
Nicholas Whyte
"Hornet's Nest 1: The Stuff of Nightmares, by Paul Magrs, brings back the Fourth Doctor in alliance with ex-Captain Mike Yates (who was actually a Third Doctor companion, but never mind), inhabiting a peculiar country house with even more peculiar stuffed animals. I've seen a couple of reviews commenting that it has a lot more talking-book style narration by Yates and the Doctor, and hence much less actual dialogue, than we are used to from Big Finish; myself, I felt that this was being honest t ...more
J.E. Remy
I have to say I found this story a bit odd. Partially because I'm used to the quality of the Big Finish audios, and I just don't think this one lived up to what those audio dramas offer. But, mostly because this felt so much like a Paul Magrs story. Magrs has a habit of writing silly into the middle of serious moments, which Tom Baker tends to do very well. In this situation, however, the transition felt a bit odd from the seriousness of Baker in Invasion of Time (which this story is meant to be ...more
April
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm torn. This was fun to hear performed so well by Tom Baker and Richard Franklin (as Mike Yates) but the story is slow and, until nearly the end of the Classic Who style of cliff-hanger ending, a bit dull. (view spoiler) Since much of hte story is just the Doctor telling Mi ...more
Min
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listening to Demon Quest first, thus-out of order, I am puzzled why when Captain Yates arrives, he says he recognizes him. If this is Tom Baker's incarnation, then he and Captain Yates never met on screen.
Yates' last story is Jon Pertwee's last episode, Planet of the Spiders. Yates had already been dismissed after Invasion of the Dinosaurs, thus, should not have been at U.N.I.T. headquarters where the Doctor regenerated.
That aside, I like how the Doctor lures him to The Nest.
Half of this firs
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 -The Stuff of Nightmares audio drama. I am a Doctor Who fan, but I, surprisingly, have never seen a Tom Baker Doctor Who episode. This audio drama was my first Tom Baker experience. Excellent narrator! In The Stuff of Nightmares, Doctor Who takes on alien hornets who inhabit the dead, stuffed bodies of animals. The story was a little creepy to me, which made it all the more entertaining to listen to. Do I recommend listening ...more
Terri
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mike Yates answers an unusual ad in the paper for a companion and when he gets to Nest cottage finds his old friend, The Doctor is involved in more strange happenings. This time stuffed (and not the cute fluffy kind) are coming to life and attacking.

The thought of taxidermist animal attacking really creeps me out, never been a big fan overall (though I do acknowledge it IS an artform). Always love The Doctor and of course, Tom Baker's narration just gives it even more of a fun factor.
Leila Anani
This is the first of 5 linked stories in the Hornet's Nest series written by Paul Magrs featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor. One of my absolute favourites this series is what made me love Dr Who in the first place mixing weird and creepy.

It begins like a Sherlock Holmes tale and ends with alien hornets infesting the brains of taxidermied animals. Its genuinely scary, tense and freaky - What Dr Who is all about. Recommended.
Debra Cook
Mar 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
sucked. He just put me to sleep.
Paul Doody
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
In 2009, Tom Baker was lured back to the show which made him world-famous, and this is the first of a five-part sequence. It's great to have him back, but the story disappoints.
Nathan Friedl
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Worth the price to have Tom Baker back voicing the Doctor again, and Richard Franklin (Yates) is great as well. Good fun, and looking forward to the next in the series.
RC
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
A ridiculous story but Tom Baker pulls it off.
Colin Hayes
May 20, 2014
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Fourth Doctor-Talking Books (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 2 - The Dead Shoes
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 2: The Demon of Paris
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 3: Shard of Ice
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 4: Starfall
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 5: Sepulchre
  • Doctor Who: Serpent Crest, Part 1-Tsar Wars (Serpent Crest #1)
“You're crackers.”

“Marvelous isn't it? I find it's the only way to be.”
9 likes