Start by marking “The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society” as Want to Read:
The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

Irresistible tales of love, friendship, passion and betrayal from some of the top names in fiction.

A woman planning not just what she wants to wear to a school reunion, but who she wants to be...
A couple hoping to start a new life in Spain - and completely misunderstanding what they each want...
A girl who's brother falls in love with a beautiful male impersonator...
A woman
Published 2009 by Orion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

Start your review of The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
Amanda
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mallard and May
This is a very unique story from a very unexpected perspective. Such a sad ending yet still contains a wistful or hopeful aspect...

Healthy Option
Fantastic story, awesome main character that seems so real and frighteningly familiar. The male students are a very interesting bunch and it is very sweet that they all try to fix her up; both personal and professional.

A Wasp Story
Definately a different type of story from the first two in this book. An interesting read that I am sure many
Snoozie Suzie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read any real chick-lit for ages and this was ideal. Short stories that don't get too involved in people's lives but are interesting, and in a way fun. Easy to read, and easy to read three or four stories in one go. Perfect. All stories are by well known authors, and are all well written, in my opinion. Definitely recommend it. Especially if you need an easy light read as it contains many of those.
Jane
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Usually, I'm not a big fan of short stories since I prefer to get to know the characters in a book. I like it when their romance evolves gradually, not fast. But sometimes I also like to read short stories, where I don't get the chance to really get to know the characters, but at the same time I do. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of pages to understand a character.

Regarding the rating... Whilst reading I found myself thinking if it's a 3 or a 4 star book, but since I found it difficult to pu
Susan Brown
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Goodreads
I must not have been concentrating when I put this book on my "to read" list as I did not realise it was a book of short stories. I do not enjoy reading short stories. However, when I saw that Alexander McCall Smith was a contributor I decided that it couldn't be all bad so I waded in. I was entranced from the start. But my feelings about short stories are still with me, ie you just get into the story and it finishes. These stories, however, managed to get the "meat" of the tale across to the re ...more
Jo Benson
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories. Good way of introducing authors I've not heard of which I shall now be looking out for.
Mehvish
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good collection of short stories!
Janay Brazier
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some nice short stories in this book but there were also ones that I found a bit boring or a bit quick/far-fetched. I liked how different they all were to each other though and it was a great book to have next to my bed to read at night so that I could read a couple of complete short stories before going to sleep.
Anya
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Usually I’m not one for short stories, but I quite liked this.
Alison
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed most of the stories in this book. Just passed over the ones l didn't connect with. Great book if you just want a short read.
Corinne Doherty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very light reading. Predictable chapters
Becky
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I do not usually read short stories but I enjoyed them. Lovely little short stories about love, loss and family. These were apt for my breaks at work and to dip into every no and then with a bit of chocolate. My favourite short stories in the book were:

sunlight and in shadow by Rowan Coleman. People like us by Jane Fallon. The holiday of a marriage by Katie Fforde. Straight and true like the lilies of the field by nicci French. The last word by nicci French. Cold calling by Phillipa Gregory. Va
Barbara
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories written by a number of top-selling authors – mainly British – in order to support a good cause: Breast Cancer Care.

It’s a book for women and about women. Old ones and young ones. Women in love, women looking for love, and women getting out of love. Women who are hurt, who fail and who succeed. Women who are happy with what they have and women who are tired of it all and step up to make a daring change. Women who cherish friendship and motherhood.

It’s all the women
Rachel
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Julia
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i simply love this collection of wee stories, each different from the other one.

Especially if you don't have that much time or are looking for a new book to read and have to bridge that time they are just perfect and also very different from what I usually read.

they are often told from unexpected unusual perspectives or offer surprising which makes the reading even more enjoyable.

everytime little injections of inspiration, etc. and always the chance to skip a story if you don't like it 'cause t
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories, it was nice to be able to skip about if i wasn't in the mood for a particular story. I love the fact that most of my favourite authors were in this book and also some authors that I had heard of but, as yet, hadn't fully explored their writing. I have passed this book on to a friend who I know doesn't have a lot if time to read because I know they will enjoy dipping in and out of it. Recommended for someone who hasn't got the time to fully immer ...more
Hamizah
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Along the way, I had to remind myself that this book is a collection of different stories written by different authors with different writing-style.

The stories are all good, though I only recognized two authors out of the thirty-five. Sad, I know.

Eh.

Anyway, my favourites are "Mallard and May", "Sacred Spring", "The Only Snag", "Straight and True Like the Lilies of the Field", "The Last Word", "Cold Calling", "Valentine's Blues" and "Tokyo Girl Power". Why? Because the stories moved me.

Aaaaand I
Alexandra
I think I'm just a longer story person. I enjoy my television series vs. Movies because I can connect more with the characters and stories. Some of these are good, the ones that stand out to me are:

Mallard and May
The Handyman

But 13/35 stories isn't good enough for any higher rating. I need to s
Samra Muslim
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Since this book is collection of stories by multiple authors ... it cannot be judged in its totality and rather needs to be taken on the basis of individual stories (which are ranging from nice to predictable to just ordinary). On the whole, the book is written for a cause (Breast Cancer) and the stories are donations by the authors... therefore even expecting amazing would be silly on the readers' part! Suggest you look at it as what it REALLY is ... our little bit for charity!!! :-)
Louise Annette Marshall
A collection of short stories ,some were very good some just ok ,picked up the book from the libary when i saw Sophie kinsella,jojo moyes an maeve Binchey were amongst the story writers .Had my fav stories ,this is well worth a read iff your inbetween books an want to read a few quick read stories an also iff your buying an not getting from the libary money from the sale goes to a worthwhile charity which is always good .
Jo
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A large collection (over 30) of short stories, some very good with no real duds. They range in subject matter but the focus is on women's stories of love, midlife renewal, friendship and even revenge. Organized alphabetically by author, it starts with a sad sad story and ends with a nice piece. Enjoyable short reads.
Av
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book on vacation. It is a great vacation book. It is a collection of short stories about women and everything that could possibly happen to us. The stories are ones of strength and endurance and belief in our selves. The stories are short which means no great thought involved. Perfect for a vacation
Daisy Craydon
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Great collection of short stories for such a great cause. Mallard and Mae by Cecilia Ahern is an absolutely incredible short story and I even made my Nan read it, because it completely shocked me.

Some other really brilliant short stories that teach a little tale about life.

Would recommend having a read if you fancy something light.
Marilynn
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing read. This is all about women. Their struggles and joys. How they find meaning to their lives. A gem of short stories that will make you smile, cry and ponder. These are stories that all women can definitely relate to.
Khaoula E.
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the book. The idea is very good. Some of the stories are really brilliant, plot and writing wise, but some others were really disappointing. I also got the chance to discover some writers that I've never heard of, which was very nice.
Nina
Dec 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book and I probably never will. I expected a collection of comfy chick lit stories, but these are just too depressing for my liking. I'm really sorry to say but they're quite horrible.
Ola Tarek
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
its a tricky one its not ur regular book its a collection of many short ( kinnda unfinished ) stories by different famous writers. i didn't mind the unfinished stories but to some people it might be unsatisfactory but i loved it :)
Gabbie
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, fiction, easy-read
These short stories were great to just pink up and read. You didn't have to get too invested in any of them because they ended in no time. They were still entertaining and could be likened to a sweet treat that you have every once in a while but you don't want to sit and gorge yourself out on them.
Charisse
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really like the book cover but what most important is the stories inside it. 5 stars!
Diana
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories are good, captivating right from the 1st page but some are very dry..
Rochelle
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Good for when your busy, but need an intense yet short story to read before you go to bed.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society by Cecelia Ahern 1 23 Mar 02, 2015 05:32PM
bloquear um utilizador 1 6 Apr 24, 2012 04:56PM

• The Best Little Book Club in Town
  • Brick Lane
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • The Words Between Us
  • Extracurricular - Book 1 of 3: A Laugh-Out-Loud Series about Young Love, a College Admissions Cheating Scandal, and Parents Behaving Badly
  • Extacurricular - Book 2 of 3: A Laugh-Out-Loud Series about Young Love, a College Admissions Scandal, and Parents Behaving Badly (Extracurricular)
  • Extracurricular - Book 3 of 3: A Laugh-Out-Loud Series about Young Love, a College Admissions Cheating Scandal, and Parents Behaving Badly
  • She is Fierce: Brave, Bold and Beautiful Poems by Women
  • Forrest Gump
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • Sorry I Missed You
  • Brunch and Other Obligations
  • Goosebumps Collection #3 (Goosebumps, #8-10)
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.