Start by marking “The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society” as Want to Read:
The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Irresistible tales of love, friendship, passion and betrayal from some of the top names in fiction.

A woman planning not just what she wants to wear to a school reunion, but who she wants to be...
A couple hoping to start a new life in Spain - and completely misunderstanding what they each want...
A girl who's brother falls in love with a beautiful male impersonator...
A woman
Published 2009 by Orion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society

Amanda
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mallard and May
This is a very unique story from a very unexpected perspective. Such a sad ending yet still contains a wistful or hopeful aspect...

Healthy Option
Fantastic story, awesome main character that seems so real and frighteningly familiar. The male students are a very interesting bunch and it is very sweet that they all try to fix her up; both personal and professional.

A Wasp Story
Definately a different type of story from the first two in this book. An interesting read that I am sure many
Snoozie Suzie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read any real chick-lit for ages and this was ideal. Short stories that don't get too involved in people's lives but are interesting, and in a way fun. Easy to read, and easy to read three or four stories in one go. Perfect. All stories are by well known authors, and are all well written, in my opinion. Definitely recommend it. Especially if you need an easy light read as it contains many of those.
Jane
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Usually, I'm not a big fan of short stories since I prefer to get to know the characters in a book. I like it when their romance evolves gradually, not fast. But sometimes I also like to read short stories, where I don't get the chance to really get to know the characters, but at the same time I do. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of pages to understand a character.

Regarding the rating... Whilst reading I found myself thinking if it's a 3 or a 4 star book, but since I found it difficult to pu
Mehvish
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good collection of short stories!
Jo
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories. Good way of introducing authors I've not heard of which I shall now be looking out for.
Janay Brazier
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some nice short stories in this book but there were also ones that I found a bit boring or a bit quick/far-fetched. I liked how different they all were to each other though and it was a great book to have next to my bed to read at night so that I could read a couple of complete short stories before going to sleep.
Corinne Doherty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very light reading. Predictable chapters
Susan Brown
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Goodreads
I must not have been concentrating when I put this book on my "to read" list as I did not realise it was a book of short stories. I do not enjoy reading short stories. However, when I saw that Alexander McCall Smith was a contributor I decided that it couldn't be all bad so I waded in. I was entranced from the start. But my feelings about short stories are still with me, ie you just get into the story and it finishes. These stories, however, managed to get the "meat" of the tale across to the re ...more
Barbara
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories written by a number of top-selling authors – mainly British – in order to support a good cause: Breast Cancer Care.

It’s a book for women and about women. Old ones and young ones. Women in love, women looking for love, and women getting out of love. Women who are hurt, who fail and who succeed. Women who are happy with what they have and women who are tired of it all and step up to make a daring change. Women who cherish friendship and motherhood.

It’s all the women
Rachel
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2016
Becky
I do not usually read short stories but I enjoyed them. Lovely little short stories about love, loss and family. These were apt for my breaks at work and to dip into every no and then with a bit of chocolate. My favourite short stories in the book were:

sunlight and in shadow by Rowan Coleman. People like us by Jane Fallon. The holiday of a marriage by Katie Fforde. Straight and true like the lilies of the field by nicci French. The last word by nicci French. Cold calling by Phillipa Gregory. Va
Julia
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i simply love this collection of wee stories, each different from the other one.

Especially if you don't have that much time or are looking for a new book to read and have to bridge that time they are just perfect and also very different from what I usually read.

they are often told from unexpected unusual perspectives or offer surprising which makes the reading even more enjoyable.

everytime little injections of inspiration, etc. and always the chance to skip a story if you don't like it 'cause t
Hamizah
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Along the way, I had to remind myself that this book is a collection of different stories written by different authors with different writing-style.

The stories are all good, though I only recognized two authors out of the thirty-five. Sad, I know.

Eh.

Anyway, my favourites are "Mallard and May", "Sacred Spring", "The Only Snag", "Straight and True Like the Lilies of the Field", "The Last Word", "Cold Calling", "Valentine's Blues" and "Tokyo Girl Power". Why? Because the stories moved me.

Aaaaand I
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories, it was nice to be able to skip about if i wasn't in the mood for a particular story. I love the fact that most of my favourite authors were in this book and also some authors that I had heard of but, as yet, hadn't fully explored their writing. I have passed this book on to a friend who I know doesn't have a lot if time to read because I know they will enjoy dipping in and out of it. Recommended for someone who hasn't got the time to fully immer ...more
Alexandra
I think I'm just a longer story person. I enjoy my television series vs. Movies because I can connect more with the characters and stories. Some of these are good, the ones that stand out to me are:

Mallard and May
Topiary
The Handyman

But 13/35 stories isn't good enough for any higher rating. I need to s
Louise Annette Marshall
A collection of short stories ,some were very good some just ok ,picked up the book from the libary when i saw Sophie kinsella,jojo moyes an maeve Binchey were amongst the story writers .Had my fav stories ,this is well worth a read iff your inbetween books an want to read a few quick read stories an also iff your buying an not getting from the libary money from the sale goes to a worthwhile charity which is always good .
Samra Muslim
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Since this book is collection of stories by multiple authors ... it cannot be judged in its totality and rather needs to be taken on the basis of individual stories (which are ranging from nice to predictable to just ordinary). On the whole, the book is written for a cause (Breast Cancer) and the stories are donations by the authors... therefore even expecting amazing would be silly on the readers' part! Suggest you look at it as what it REALLY is ... our little bit for charity!!! :-)
Av
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book on vacation. It is a great vacation book. It is a collection of short stories about women and everything that could possibly happen to us. The stories are ones of strength and endurance and belief in our selves. The stories are short which means no great thought involved. Perfect for a vacation
Daisy Craydon
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Great collection of short stories for such a great cause. Mallard and Mae by Cecilia Ahern is an absolutely incredible short story and I even made my Nan read it, because it completely shocked me.

Some other really brilliant short stories that teach a little tale about life.

Would recommend having a read if you fancy something light.
Jo
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A large collection (over 30) of short stories, some very good with no real duds. They range in subject matter but the focus is on women's stories of love, midlife renewal, friendship and even revenge. Organized alphabetically by author, it starts with a sad sad story and ends with a nice piece. Enjoyable short reads.
Khaoula
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the book. The idea is very good. Some of the stories are really brilliant, plot and writing wise, but some others were really disappointing. I also got the chance to discover some writers that I've never heard of, which was very nice.
Gabbie
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, fiction, easy-read
These short stories were great to just pink up and read. You didn't have to get too invested in any of them because they ended in no time. They were still entertaining and could be likened to a sweet treat that you have every once in a while but you don't want to sit and gorge yourself out on them.
Marilynn
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing read. This is all about women. Their struggles and joys. How they find meaning to their lives. A gem of short stories that will make you smile, cry and ponder. These are stories that all women can definitely relate to.
Ola Tarek
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
its a tricky one its not ur regular book its a collection of many short ( kinnda unfinished ) stories by different famous writers. i didn't mind the unfinished stories but to some people it might be unsatisfactory but i loved it :)
Nina
Dec 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book and I probably never will. I expected a collection of comfy chick lit stories, but these are just too depressing for my liking. I'm really sorry to say but they're quite horrible.
Gina Freeman
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
love short stories and ideal for holiday by pool
Aliendheasja
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Some stories are damn good and extremely touching.
some others are so-so and even hard to understand the twist.
it was a good light read :)
Eleni
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant ... I love this book, because it contains amazing short stories. It had a few of my favourite authors and new ones that I've discovered!
Diana
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories are good, captivating right from the 1st page but some are very dry..
Carrie
Sophie Kinsella - Valentine's Day Blues
4/5
Cute and sweet Valentine's story w/pizza.

Katie Fforde - Holiday of a Marriage
3/5
2015 Reading Chal...: The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society by Cecelia Ahern 1 23 Mar 02, 2015 05:32PM
bloquear um utilizador 1 4 Apr 24, 2012 04:56PM
  • The Sunday Night Book Club
  • The Best Little Book Club in Town
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • One City
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
  • Party Animal
  • Of Love and Life: The Ship of Brides / The Undomestic Goddess / No Place Like Home
  • No Dress Rehearsal
  • Indie Chicks: 25 Women 25 Stories
  • Whatever It Takes
  • Valentijn blues
  • Last Christmas
  • Never Can Say Goodbye
  • The Mummyfesto
  • Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
More about Cecelia Ahern

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be