Start by marking “Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript” as Want to Read:
Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript

Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript

Prepare and Present Your Work Like a Pro!

Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript, 3rd edition, gives you all the information you need to craft a winning submission. Fully updated, this comprehensive resource now features more than 100 sample letters and manuscript pages, expanded instruction for electronic submissions, updated formatting and submitting guidelines, and new
Paperback, 3rd edition, 312 pages
Published August 24th 2009 by Writer's Digest Books (first published November 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript

Start your review of Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript
Chad Schimke
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
FORMATTING AND SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT - Nobody ever said writing was easy. The fact is this: good fiction is partly due to following structured rules, allowing creative brainstorms and utilizing sound business practices. If you write for publication, then you need to understand submissions, that’s the topic of this post. Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript by Chuck Sambuchino is a good addition to your writing reference library. Why is that? Because, this book covers all of the basics in ...more
Kristi
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
LOVE this book! Not so much as reading material but more of a good reference on what not to do when querying and formatting letters/sample chapters/manuscripts.

There are many formatting expectations in the industry that many of us aspiring authors may be clueless about when querying or submitting material. This book will help you be as professional as possible and help you open doors, not shut them without so much as a glance at your material. I pull this book out each and every time I want to
Ethan Russell
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The perfect guide to formatting your manuscript. It certainly helped me put mine in order.
Katherine Cowley
Note to self: this book is at the library.
Katy Lovejoy
Oct 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I feel like this didnt tell me anything I didnt already know
Heidi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I believe this formatting is still used for publishing today.
Rick Ludwig
I found this book useful and actually followed the format suggested for my first MS submission. I will withhold my final evaluation until I see how my manuscript is received. Seriously though, I found the information clear, logical and and helpful. I noticed that this was one of the books on sale in the bookstore at the Hawaii Writers Conference so somebody else must think it is relevant, too. I will be interested in seeing other reviews of this, especially any by published authors.
Kristen
This is an ultimate reference for everyone who wants to publish their poetry, nonfiction articles, short stories and novels. It has tips on how to format your work and how to make it professional with tips. Everyone should take notes for future reference.
DJ
This book h helped take some of the guess work out of formatting and query letters. Without it, I'd still be deciding on which website to believe for formatting my manuscripts. I'd be clueless as to what was needed for submitting to agents, publishes, etc.

Highly recommend!
Ilana Waters
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE definitive guide to, well, exactly what the title says! A must-own for all serious writers. Following the instructions herein will make your manuscript look polished, professional, and (one hopes) ready for publication. Recommended to me by a professional editor.
Corinne Anderson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A little bit out of date with some things, but overall extremely helpful. Every writer who is looking to submit their manuscript for publishing should utilize this text!
Cynthia Sims
Jan 24, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A friend just gave me a boatload of encouraging writing books. I could cry. Ask if you want to borrow any. I need the updated version, I guess.
Ellie
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A valuable reference book to guide you through presenting your essays, articles, books, short stories and children's books. There is a wealth of information in this book. ...more
Chris Dorman
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, clear resource, especially for writers who are new to the business side of publishing.
Maghan Kristian
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Richest Man in Babylon
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • OUR BELOVED ANGEL: LEGEND GEJAUNE TAHSHEEM KING ARTHUR
  • Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine: The ultimate reference guide for unlocking the power of essential oils in your everyday life.
  • Turn a Bowl with Ernie Conover: Getting Great Results the First Time Around
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • The Alchemy of Animation: Making an Animated Film in the Modern Age
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy
  • Practical Blacksmithing: The Four Classic Volumes in One
  • Disney's Art of Animation #1
  • Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

News & Interviews

One of the great pleasures of historical fiction is the time-travel element. In the hands of a skilled author, works of historical fiction can...