Start by marking “The Literary Ghost: Great Contemporary Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
The Literary Ghost: Great Contemporary Ghost Stories

The Literary Ghost: Great Contemporary Ghost Stories

"It takes a certain amount of daring for a literary writer to employ a device as powerful and obvious as a ghost, and a great deal of talent and self-assurance to pull it off. The fact that these stories are so different from one another and that no two ghosts in them are alike is a testament to the power of the individual imagination to appropriate established myths witho ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 364 pages
Published 1991 by Atlantic Monthly Press

To ask other readers questions about The Literary Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Literary Ghost

Richard Cardenas
Jan 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was incredibly fucking boring. I don't think I've ever read a boring ghost story in my liiiiiife. I understand that these tales were supposed to be in a literary tone hence the title but that doesn't mean they have to be dragged out, bare, and boring.
Stacy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Good collection of a variety of ghost stories. In some, the ghost is more implied than anything. I may have to follow-up and look for more stories or books by some of the authors.

Ann
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not a huge fan of short stories and this book is a prime example. It is a collection of 28 stories by varied authors and of varied length. Some are one pagers and some run to about 30 pages long. Some are excellent and some are very dull. My favorites are medium length for the most part. There is the story of the ghost who tells her story of haunting her murderer, the ghost who needed to be tested for his doctor of philosophy degree in every subject because he forgot what he was studying fo ...more
L
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Mid-20th century short stories, a wide selection of styles, and a variety of story themes held my interest through the 2 'ho-hum' selections. Nice choice for a creepy-story-each-night Halloween countdown. Especially enjoyed Anne Sexton's story "The Ghost" and Tim O'Brien's "The Ghost Soldiers." Hat tip to Penelope Lively's "Revenant as Typewriter" and to McGrath's "Marmilion." The closing stories, by Graham Greene and Singer, provide a satisfying finish.
peg
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
My Halloween read!
Grainne Rhuad
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
There were some genuinely striking stories in this collection and others that fell flat. But isn't that always the way of collections? Worth the pick-up at your local library.
Jaseena AL
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating : 3 stars
Lorna
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Gosh, some of these stories were amazing but......I just couldn't finish.
Not in the mood for ghosts I guess
Frank
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Some of these were a little too literary, meaning dull, but some other great stuff.

Ends with an Isaac Bashevis Singer story that is simply amazing.

Subhajit Das
Aug 29, 2014
Amy
Jun 09, 2009
Melissa Pritchard
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jul 22, 2014