Start by marking “Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” as Want to Read:
Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

(Marvel's Oz Comics #1)

When Kansas farm girl Dorothy flies away to the magical Land of Oz, she fatally flattens a wicked witch, liberates a living scarecrow and is hailed by the Munchkin people as a great sorceress but all she really wants to know is: how does she get home?
Published September 16th 2009 by Marvel (first published September 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oz

Start your review of Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Alejandro
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful work indeed!

Creative Team:

Writer: Eric Shanower (based on the original works by L. Frank Baum)

Illustrator: Scottie Young

TAKE THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

I love these adaptations published by Marvel Comics about the original books by L. Frank Baum.

Without a doubt the creative team of, Eric Shanower writing and Scottie Young drawing, are the right choice to this wonderful task.

They did a perfect job showing the classic tale as L. Frank Baum would make it, if he would be in the comics'
Mario
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A long time passed since I read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and this graphic novel did a great job of reminding me just how wonderful the story was. If you're a fan of the original book, I recommend giving this graphic novel a try.
Seth T.
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young

In comics, a successful adaptation is ridiculously difficult to pull off. Actually, amend that: in any medium, a successful adaptation is ridiculously difficult to pull off. A good adaptation requires the successful transposition of a story's essence from one medium to another in a way that, while not damaging the source, makes uses of the new medium's unique properties in a way that justifies the new product. And it doesn't matter if a story is being transferred from stage to film or from film
Alison
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never realized how condensed the Wizard of Oz movie was till I read this. I read the excerpt at the beginning from the creator and about all that went into the World of Oz over the years and I have a whole new level of respect for the series. I really enjoyed this more than I thought I would and have a whole new understanding to OZ and how dark it is.
Manybooks
I am finding this book altogether and entirely too personally daunting and painful (not only because Eric Shadower's Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a graphic novel and I am just neither a fan of graphic novels in general nor do I tend to even be able to understand them as well and as throughly as traditional textual novels, but also, and perhaps even more importantly for me personally, the font size of the text there is, is just so miniscule that I am having huge vision and thus concentration ...more
Sesana
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am as devoted an Ozite as any you are likely to see. I've read every last one of the Famous Forty, plus most of Baum's more or less related side books. I've seen the Judy Garland movie more times than I could count. (Yes, I love the books and the movie more or less equally.) One of the surest ways to get me to read or watch something is to tell me it has references to Oz. And so here I am.

Shanower's adaptation is remarkably faithful, following the basic storyline rather closely. This may be a
Nicolo Yu
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collected-comics
It was after finishing reading this comics adaptation of the beloved L. Frank Baum tale that I realized that Eric Shanower has earlier done well received Oz graphic novels. He was most suited for this new release from the Marvel Illustrated line of comics adaptations of classic literary works. But I came to read this graphic novel because of the work of Skottie Young.

Young’s art, almost ephemeral and whimsical will carry you through Oz as if you are part of Dorothy’s party of odd friends. His ar
Philip
After reading the I Hate Fairyland series, I'm on a bit of a Skottie Young jag, and this was a wonderful follow-up to those beautiful but much darker volumes. Another joint production of Young and colorist Jean-Francois Beaulieu, this is considerably different in artistic style and tone from Fairyland, but no less gorgeous.

Having seen that bloody movie every Thanksgiving for about a dozen years as a child, I thought I'd breeze through this first story pretty quickly before reading the other Oz b
Furrawn
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.... Found it because I love Skottie Young. If you love Oz or Graphic novels you can't go wrong. If you love both, you'll be enchanted! I need to read the others in the series. I meant to do so...
Douglas Koehne
This comic adaptation of the book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is rare on many levels. It might actually be better than the book itself! Most people have enjoyed the movie as a kid, but the book is a much more complicated story and in my mind much better than the movie. Shanower is able to keep the complexities of the original story while Young's art keeps the story on a whimsical level that all ages will enjoy.

I've met Shanower a couple of times at comic conventions and he is a gifted storytelle
Megan
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
My favorite comic book store is Atomic Comics in Mesa, right next to Bookman's. It can make for a fun but wallet-draining day to make a trip down there and stop at both stores. Last time I was at Atomic Comics, I picked up an introduction to this and the Joe Hill comic book series Locke & Key. They were part of the $1 collection on the wall, of introductions and special issues put out by publishers for a buck. After I read that, I knew I had to read the whole thing.

At first, I thought the drawin
Joansie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It seems to me that a body is just a machine for brains to direct, and those who have no brains themselves are liable to be directed by others"

Haha! This is too relevant for today's culture!

The Wizard of Oz has always been close to my heart thanks to my dads works as the Tinman in a travelling theatre group when I was a kid so this had big shoes to fill in my tiny childhood heart. Thankfully it delivered and was an excellent adaptation of a truly magical book. I loved the art style and the th
Megan (ReadingRover)
Great twist on a classic story. Amazing illustrations by Skottie Young. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
Josh
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book solely for Skottie Young's art, and I was not disappointed.

Having never actually read the Oz novels, I can't speak how this adaptation compares to the source material--though I get the impression it is pretty close. I don't have strong feelings on the story itself. There's a lot of childhood nostalgia associated with the film, but the books are their own thing in a lot of ways--darker, wilder, sillier. I had not problems with the story overall, and it was interesting to enc
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

So, a synopsis. It’s the freakin’ Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Do I really need to recap this? Ok, I will. Dorothy lives with her Uncle Henry and Aunt Em on a farm in Kansas. She has a dog named Toto. A tornado (called a cyclone here) comes along sweeping Dorothy and Toto to the Land of Oz where Dorothy spends her time making unusual friends and trying to get back to Kansas.

First off, omg, the artwork is fantastic! It’s so adorable and the colors are perfect. I loved it. The sto
Lora
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the graphics in this book, but I felt the diagolue was a bit forced. It was awkward and at times took away from the awesome imagery. I did like that this version of The Wizard of Oz followed L. Frank Baum's version and not the movie. I can see many children reading this and being surprised by how the story flows. I think this is a great way to reintroduce a classic to children that don't want to take the time to read the true story (BUT they really should read the original bef ...more
Duncan Wilson
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a brilliant and faithfull adaptation of the book. whatever failings you may find are likely to be Baum's errors rtaher than the adaptor and artist. i loved the design for the scarecrow and lion in particular. it doesn't pander to a post MGM musical audience (dorothy waers silver shoes and the witch has one eye and an umbrella) and as a consequence can feel brilliantly dark at times. highly highly recommended :D
Garance J. Bonadonna (The Nerdy Artivist)
4.5 STARS

What a wonderful adaptation of the original story of Oz.
I have never read the books, but I have a lasting memory of the movie and this comic was so much better.

They probably did a better job at adaptation the essence of the story, the colors and the endless possibilities of a fantasy world.
I'm a huge fan of Skottie Young's work and as usual he did not disappoint. It was a wonderful mix of beautiful, fairy-like, creepy and monstrous. I loved it.

Sometimes the story was going in round that
Hannah Givens
Just skimmed for the art, I read the book recently and want to continue on with the graphic novels instead of the books.
Koen
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I can be short here: A wonderful tale, beautifully told and magically drawn!
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: Well, a bit of a story. This first came to my attention when it was nominated for the Cybils '09 Graphic Novel Award. The publisher did not send review copies and none of us judges were able to obtain copies. This year The Marvelous Land of Oz was nominated for a Cybils '10 Award and again the same thing happened so I decided to try my luck with putting an Inter-library Loan in for the this first one again. And well, I've just now received it and been able to read it.

This is
EZRead eBookstore
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: amelia-reviews
Despite my initial skepticism of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" being turned into a comic book, it would seem that transforming this children's story into a graphic novel has made a refreshing rendition. Since Baum's original series was intended for children and the graphic novel is aimed at children, the new alteration makes for a near-perfect transformation. Slap a classic into a shiny paperback full of colorful sketches and a modernly familiar format is a tactic that can definitely make this ol ...more
Erik
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was at first surprising, and even sad, when I learned that Shanower – the best known comics adaptor of the famed L. Frank Baum Oz books – opted not to illustrate his first Marvel OZ project; although I am sure he is more than busy juggling the writing duties for this series along with both writing and illustrating his own Age of Bronze for Image. However, once I was several pages into this beautiful hardback, I was swept away by the mercurial and whimsical art of up-and-coming comic artist Sc ...more
Alicia
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Up to this point, my knowledge of the world of Oz has come from the Judy Garland movie and the 1985 sequel "Return to Oz". The original novel is on my to-read list, but I haven't yet had the opportunity. What I appreciate about this graphic novel is that (from what's said in the intro) it stays truer to the story of the novel than that of the movie.

Although the story is compelling, it's also rather a familiar world. It does, however, make more sense of the novel Wicked for me. What truly makes t
Tally
I'm not a fan of comic books or graphic novels, never have been. I've been a fan of The Wizard of Oz for as long as I can remember, and still, I had no intention of purchasing a graphic version of it when I found one at the bookshop. And then I made the mistake of leafing through it, and it was love of first sight.

I don’t even know where to begin with this one. I was reading it in awe of the illustrator's skills which brought the story of Oz to life in a new, different, refreshing way. The illus
Andrea
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The pairing of these two gentlemen was genius! I only have a remembrance of the actions of Judy Garland in the movie adaptation of this story. But, after reading snippets of the original book written by L. Frank Baum, I see that Shanower did a fine job at staying inside the original story line. His additions gave the story a nice refreshing look to the original. I loved that this was a graphic novel. The illustrations and color pallet were PHENOMINAL. I could go on and on about the artwork in th ...more
Crystal Bandel
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, adapted by Eric Shanower, illustrated by Skottie Young, published 2009.

High fantasy.

Graphic novel in full color.

Grades 5-8.

Found via the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, winner of Best Publication for Kids, 2010.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz adapts L. Frank Baum's classic tale of Dorothy being carried to the land of Oz by a tornado. While Dorothy searches for a way home, she gains three companions: the Scarecrow, the Lion, and the Tin Woodman. This com
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
A beautiful adaption of Frank Oz's classic story.

Unlike many Oz adaptions, this one is remarkably faithful to the original novel. Thus far, also a well-crafted adaptation. Adaptations are a challenge. The audience often has a preconceived notion of how things should look, move, and feel. It's not an easy task to get your audience to forget those in place for your medium.

The artwork is beautiful. Kudos to Skottie Young for taking iconic American literary characters who have already been engraine
Astrid Paramita
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to start off by saying I don't usually read graphic novels. But I do like this book, mostly because of the wonderful illustrations of the character (especially LOVED the Cowardly Lion!).

Unfortunately it's been a long while since I've read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz book so I couldn't really say anything about how true it was with the original, etc. All I know, this is a wonderful retelling of the story, with wonderful interpretation of the characters.

I also really enjoy the afterword, wh
Becca
Unless you count the many Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes collections I've read, this is my first graphic novel. I can already tell that graphic novels will never be my favorite way to read a story.

I considered rating this three stars because it's so faithful to the book: It's uses mainly the original text, and Dorothy's shoes are even silver! Then I remembered that I didn't like the book itself. Why would I commend the graphic novel adaption for being faithful to a book I disliked?

This graphic n
Get Graphic: #26 - Oz 1 3 Oct 10, 2018 11:47AM
Get Graphic: #26 - Oz 1 3 Oct 10, 2018 11:46AM

• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up
  • The Royal Book of Oz (Oz, #15)
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • Outer Darkness, Vol. 2: Castrophany of Hate
  • Stranger Things: Six
  • Black Beauty
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Glinda of Oz (Oz, #14)
  • Middlewest, Book Two
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • Heidi

Marvel's Oz Comics (6 books)
  • Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz