Start by marking “The Golden Fool (The Tawny Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Fool (The Tawny Man, #2)

The Golden Fool

(The Tawny Man #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  59,965 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews
Librarian note: alternate-cover edition of 9780006486022.

Fitz has succeeded in rescuing Prince Dutiful from the clutches of the Piebald rebels, and has returned with him to Buckkeep castle. With Dutiful safe again, Queen Kettricken can proceed with plans to marry him to the Outislander princess, Elliania.

However, with tensions building among the peoples of the Six D
Mass Market Paperback, 712 pages
Published October 6th 2008 by HarperVoyager (first published October 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Fool

·  59,965 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews

Petrik
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was almost another 5 stars read, this was almost as good as Fool’s Errand, but it wasn’t due to the second book syndrome that is quite evident here.

The Golden Fool is almost completely a preparation and transition book for the big conclusion in the next installment. It’s all about laying foundations and moving the characters to have the right convictions and motivation to save the world. Though, knowing Fitz, he’ll probably brood about it still. Because of this plot direction, there’s close to noth
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Fitz is in a bad way, and it’s not surprising considering what happened at the end of the last novel. We all knew it was coming eventually, but I honestly didn’t expect it so soon. I guess age finally catches up with us all. But for Fitz, he has lost half his soul; he will never be quite the same again.

Is this an excuse to finally return?

What his loss has granted him is loneliness. And this forces him back into an old life. He picks up the old tools of the trade, his axe and his poisons: he r
Samantha
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this to bits! Especially the last few pages. Cannot wait for book 3 to arrive so I can dive right back in!
Hanne
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
After reviewing 7 previous Robin Hobb books, I feel like a broken record. So instead of making a new review, I decided to dig up all the previous ones and mash them together:

Some of the biggest sized words read: I just really love.

And I do!
I love her writing.
I love her characters (well, most of them. the others, i just love despising them)
I love how she makes me care.
I love how she keeps me guess
Kaitlin
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
What is this book...? Well, it's the continuation of Fitz's storyline. It's also the continuation of the Fool's storyline and Bukkeep's storyline. I would also go so far as to say that this is the continuation of the Elderlings world. This book, although focused on Fitz most of the time, is actually a story which traverses the boundaries of the two series we've previously read in this world. Whilst before now we have had small easter egg references to events or people within one of the other ser ...more
Em Lost In Books

Robin Hobb certainly knows how to spin a tale. I was rapt with her words, even though Fitz was drowning himself in pity and remorse. I was still turning pages when Fitz was planning (only planning) to kill all and get over with this ordeal. I finished the book and said wow, this was fantastic. That’s how magical her tales are.

I know I d
Kaora
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this is my favorite Robin Hobb book, but that is like saying it is not my favorite type of chocolate. It's still fucking delicious.

I just felt that this one dragged a bit more and while a lot happened there was really no resolution. It is the second book in a trilogy, but in the first book I felt like things were accomplished even though it was nowhere near the end.

Then I started this and so many plots were set into motion that I'm not sure how she can wrap th
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close to 5 stars. This trilogy is murdering me right in the feelings. I'm almost afraid to read the third book - I need an emotional breather for a bit before I dive in. I'll be doing a video review on Hobb's first three fantasy trilogies (no spoilers) after I finish Tawny Man, so stay tuned for more thoughts.
David Sven
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying this Trilogy so far even more than the previous two in the series. Robin Hobb's writing is either getting better or I am just increasingly more invested in the characters of her world - probably both. Either way, Hobb's characterization is second to none. She can make you feel the joy of friendship rekindled or the rift of a lover's quarrel or the grief that come's with a close companion's death. Let us now pause a moment to remember NightEyes...

The other thing that made this book very
Penny
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of the same awesomeness on to the next one!
Lema
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
If I want to approach this book in a subjective way, I would say it definitely is a filler and a set up for events to come. If I want to approach it realistically from a point of view of someone who had invested so much time and effort (AND FEELS) into this series, then I have to say that this book gave me life (AND FEELS) and I enjoyed every single second of it.

I'm lazy as eff and I immediately started Fool's Fate because IM WEAK AND NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WITH MA BABIES, so this is will be brief.
I could
Helene Jeppesen
This book was good, but for the most part I felt like it was just filling in the story between the first and the third book in this Tawny Man trilogy. Not a lot happens, and everything is a build-up to the big adventure we will encounter in book three.
I wasn't at any point eager to get back to this book and read it, but when I did read I liked it because it is entertaining and in many ways thought-provoking. Fitz is a likeable man, and that goes for almost all of the other characters as we
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Nov 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ by: Halima
Shelves: fantasy
My dear goodread friends Halima says I should totally read this book.

Let's find out if she is right about it ;)
Abbie | ab_reads
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - cannot believe I read this in 3 days, thank you 8inTwo readathon!!
Michelle Morrell
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-read-2017, i-own
More of the same, if that more included staying up way too late each night, ignoring my life so I can pretend I'm a 30-something royal bastard assassin and visceral emotions running the gamut from horror to delight to despondency to the sad slow head shake of inevitability. So crazily well written it hurts.

My only complaint is people in this book need to stop concerning themselves about what goes on in two consenting adults's bedchambers. Evolve already!
Chris
Here we are again, the middle book of a Hobb trilogy. I really think she hits her stride in these second books. The pace has built up a bit from the first, and it sets up the third one nicely.

There were a couple of emotional scenes in this that are certainly appreciated by a long time reader of this overall series. I won't go into it, but they alone made this book something special. I hope they are a good preview of what's to come in Book #3, which I'll be starting soon.
Phee
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Kylie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hot dang, Robin Hobb. I think I’m falling in love.
Dara
It's getting more and more difficult for me to articulate what I love about these books. It's a combination of so many things. Fitz has become one of my all-time favorite characters, along with many of his friends. The world of the Elderlings is endlessly fascinating. There's a deep history there - in the Six Duchies and beyond - that I want to know about. The magic in this series is captivating and mysterious - I always want to experience more of the Skill and the Wit. Robin Hobb's writing is masterf ...more
Em

This is my third time of reading The Tawny Man series and I still enjoy it just as much as the first time. The Golden Fool doesn't have middle book syndrome, there isn't much of a plot but a lot happens and it's all about exploring and building relationships between Fitz, Fool, Dutiful, Chade and of course Thick. It is in fact my favourite of all the books in the series.

It's extremely painful to read in parts, especially the explosive argument between Fitz and the Fool. It was upsetting to see
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Can I give this book anything other than five stars? I have invested so much time and so many emotions with these characters. I know them so well now...all of their flaws and their humanity; they make mistakes and yet they still grow in wisdom. They feel so *real*. I LOVE THEM.

And as a sidenote, you can read the Fitz and the Fool books separately from her other Realm of the Elderlings series, but I don't suggest doing so. You'll get SO much more out of the world if you read them all in order. I
Wastrel
It's hard to be objective, because this is one of my favourite books of all time. After seven volumes, we're now so deeply into the mind of FitzChivalry Farseer that it feels like a second home, and while some may complain that nothing whatsoever happens in this book (they'd be wrong - a lot happens in this book, there just isn't really a plot), I rejoiced in being given the time and space to see more of Fitz dealing with ordinary life. Hobb's great stylistic strength might be the way that she takes of ...more
Jason
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series... man. I loved this series and wanted to throw it against the wall so many times. The main character especially challenged me as a reader. Fitz is, without a question, a immensely believable character. If for no other reason then that there are so many times you want to slap him for being so often fallible. He is by no means perfect and he makes many selfish or foolhardy decisions. But that only wants you to want that much more for him to improve and succeed.

The relationship betwee
Narmeen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”To recognize you are the source of your own loneliness is not a cure for it. But it is a step toward seeing that it is not inevitable, and that such a choice is not irrevocable”

Often times we blame a situation or a person for our own misery and I appreciate Fitz accepting that ‘his unwillingness in changing what is within his psyche’ is to blame and realizing that acknowledging the pain is only but a step towards healing.

Fitz is put into situations that there is no escaping from; Chade testing him, controlling him
Claudia
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z-to-a-hobb
Superb second part! There are a lot of things which relates it to the events from The Liveship Traders, a lot of revelations and some other turnabouts which I did not see coming. And even if Fitz’ misfortunes did not forsake him, yet I get the feeling that the wheel is starting to spin – very slowly but there is a movement; I really hope I’m not mistaken.

Now, lets see where the path takes our heroes in their ultimate quest and what happens with the black one from the tales...
Kalin
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts of notes:

~ When I can face pain and regrets and meaningful friendships again, I should reread Chapter 5, "Shared Sorrows." It is sublime.

~ Also, Chapters 15 ("Quarrel"), 16 ("Fathers") and 20 ("Coterie").

Flow, my tears ....
YouKneeK
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Golden Fool is the second book in the Tawny Man trilogy, the third subseries in the larger Realms of the Elderlings series.

Much like the first time I read it, this trilogy has successfully lured me into spending more time reading each day than I normally would. I’m still not sure exactly why but, as much as I enjoyed the first two trilogies, this is the one that really sucked me in completely both the first time I read it and on this re-read. I’m enjoying the story all over again, partly because I had forgotten
Devran ikiz
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. This is indeed how a fantasy book must be written.

The Golden Fool is a story that takes places completely within the Buckkeep and Buckkeep Castle. It focuses mostly in internal situations of the Farseer Family, their friends and people around them. The crisis about the Old Blood and their extremist group Piebalds are growing and Queen tries to find ways to stop the illegal executions of the people who possess The Wit (ability to communicate animals).

Pri
F.R.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I may have expressed some disappointment in my review of ‘Fool’s Errand’ that there just wasn’t enough court intrigue to get my teeth into. Hobb more than makes up for it in the second volume of this trilogy – there is court intrigue at every possible vantage point; Fitz spends so much time hidden in spy tunnels I pictured him constantly covered in dust and cobwebs – so why have I still come away feeling not completely satisfied?

As befits a middle novel, there are numerous strands co
Scarletine
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo 078f1d8c697bae8eab1e076c5dc76f50_zpsbhzem3ac.jpg
The more I read of Robin Hobb's books, the more I berate myself from not reading them earlier in my life. I don't know how they escaped me, but I'm catching up, at a pace!
Having read the Assasins Trilogy, and Fools Errand I am already deeply in love with the Fool and deeply frustrated with Fitz. He blunders his way through life with rarely a lesson learned. He cannot see the love is in front of his face, and longs for a dream of Molly and a family that he chose not to persue. This story continu
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Golden Fool [Oct 25, 2019] 1 7 Aug 06, 2019 02:24PM
Beyond Reality: Golden Fool: finished reading (spoilers!) 8 18 May 03, 2019 06:28AM
Beyond Reality: Golden Fool: roll call and first impressions (no spoilers!) 3 8 Mar 16, 2019 12:55PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Golden Fool [July 1, 2018] 25 30 Jul 11, 2018 07:28AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Golden Fool 27 25 May 14, 2017 08:02AM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Golden Fool - Chapters 16-20 6 30 Nov 10, 2016 03:47PM

• Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more

The Tawny Man (3 books)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)
“if love doesnt come first and linger after, if love cant wait and endure disappointment and seperation, then its not love.” 95 likes
“You seek a false comfort when you demand that I define myself for you with words. Words do not contain or define any person. A heart can, if it is willing.” 65 likes