Start by marking “Climb a Lonely Hill” as Want to Read:
Climb a Lonely Hill

Lilith Norman

Climb a Lonely Hill

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
First published in 1970, and commended at the Australian Children's Book Council Book of the Year Award in 1971, this novel for young teenagers tells of two children stranded in desert country following a car crash, and their struggle to survive.
Published (first published 1970)

Jacquie South
I remeber being absoluely devestated by this book as a kid. How many kids books start off with two kids leaving their dead uncle in the smahed ute, and heading off to survive in the desert?
Fiona
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this story powerful as a child and even more so as an adult. When I was young, it was the suspense - wondering how they could possibly survive - and the fear that they wouldn’t make it that held me enthralled. This time around, the tension of the unknown still held me. Even though I knew the outcome, I couldn’t remember how it was achieved, so much so that at times I thought that it couldn’t possibly work out that way and that my memory must have led me astray! I also found this book eve ...more
Carly
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first (long length) book I remember reading as a kid, I must have been about 9. It always stuck with me, especially the opening visual about 'party ice'.
I've just read it again as an adult, and it is still excellent, but from an adult point of view it surprised me. The vocabulary, heavy themes, and even length, are challenging for a book classified as "children's", the author shows a lot of respect for her young readers.
A quick enjoyable read for an adult, a interesting and thought
Bathsheba
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was about 10 years old and it had quite an impact on me. I look forward to sharing it with my own children. Prior to this book I had read the entire Enid Blyton collection... so it was quite a transition reading about two kids being stranded in a remote part of Australia and having to fight for their survival.
Margaret
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
I read this when it first came out and again a couple of years ago. it is still as powerful now as an adult as it was originally as a child.
NicoleHasRead
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this as a child and it was so affecting. I've been trying to remember the title for years.
Jane Sibley
Sep 30, 2013
Esmee Corsmit
Jun 11, 2013
Leen Alibrahim
rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2016