Start by marking “Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)

Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  58,869 Ratings  ·  1,553 Reviews
As Anne learns Summerside's strangest secrets, winning the support of the prickly Pringles becomes only the first of her delicious triumphs.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Windy Poplars, please sign up.
Himika Chakraborty I think that's because she wants to give Anne and Gilbert some privacy,like Morgernstern omitted the reunion scene between Westley and Buttercup in…moreI think that's because she wants to give Anne and Gilbert some privacy,like Morgernstern omitted the reunion scene between Westley and Buttercup in The Princess Bride to give them some privacy.Or maybe because love letters between people "scandalously in love" might contain material Montgomery would not want her readers to know.(less)
Mervyn Capel There's no such word as "borest"!
It's either "most boring" or "least interesting", neither of which....in my opinion.....apply to this book.I
…more
There's no such word as "borest"!
Montgomery wrote it many years after the others, & her style is rather different. Part of the narrative is told by Anne & other characters in the form of letters.
This gives Anne in particular more depth & personality.
They're the same sort of stories, but not so many & not so rushed.
If you don't read this one there's a long gap between Anne finally admitting she loves Gilbert (Anne of the Island) & Anne & Gilbert being married & setting up home (Anne's House of Dreams).
When you've read all the Anne books, do read about her daughter (Rilla of Ingleside) & LM Montgomery's other novels!(less)

Maureen
Possibly 3.5/5 but idk yet.
I still really enjoyed this book because Anne is my FAVE, but I think the back and forth between her letters to Gilbert and third person narrative was a little bit much. I didn't really love that switch and I missed Gilbert throughout this book, though I understand why he wasn't in it!
I still love Anne as a character DEARLY and I will honestly love her forever. She is so kind and compassionate and lovely and just EVERYTHING.
Cait • A Page with a View
Too many letters & not enough Gilbert.
Melki
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Nobody is ever too old to dream. And dreams never grow old."

I see by the reviews that a lot of Anne-fans are disappointed in this one. On this, my third reading, I must admit that I was, too. I think it is the lack of the "old familiar." Anne is away, serving as principal of a school in Summerside. Gilbert is far, far away, studying medicine. Other than letters, there is no repartee between the two. Avonlea, and her beloved residents, is only visited during the holidays and summer breaks.

There
Anne
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. I think at the beginning I was a little skeptical, especially since Montgomery kept omitting the parts where Anne "had the right pen" to write love letters to Gilbert. I wanted to READ Anne's love letters!

But for all that, I loved the characters in this book. Rebecca Dew cracked me up, as did Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty, with their buttermilk secrets; Dusty Miller the cat; Katherine Brooke; Nora Nelson and Jim Wilcox; little Elizabeth; Cyrus Taylor (oh, but that was a hilarious e
Ahmad Sharabiani
Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4), L.M. Montgomery
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و پنجم سپتامبر سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: آنی شرلی در ویندی پاپلرز- کتاب چهارم ؛ نویسنده: ال.ام. مونتگمری؛ مترجم: سارا قدیانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1386؛ در 456 ص؛ شابک: 9789645365880؛ چاپ دوم، 1388؛ چاپ چهارم 1390؛ چاپ ششم 1392؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
این بار آن شرلی به خانهای میرود، و به مدت سه سال در آنجا ساکن میشود. این کتاب به سه بخش: سال اول، سال دوم و سال سوم، تقسیم شده و آنی در این مدت به
Miranda Reads
Oh Anne, you wonderfully bold and beautiful gal
Life owes me something more than it has paid me and I’m going out to collect it…
I just love seeing the woman Anne's grown into. She's finished college, runs her own little school and is in constant correspondence with her fiance, Gilbert.
“Gilbert, I'm afraid I'm scandalously in love with you.”
For the first time, we have a bit of switching perspectives - Anne in third person throughout the novel and in first person as we read her letters to
Elaina
~4.5 stars~

I wasn’t too sure about how I would like this book once I realized that most of it was just Anne’s letters to Gilbert—But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I did enjoy it! It could definitely be a little slow in some areas, and I don’t think it is in any way my favorite out of the series as a whole, but I am still glad I decided to continue on with this beautiful series that L.M. Montgomery has created ^_^ I am looking forward to reading the fifth book really soon because of (vie
Tiffany
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne fans
Shelves: fiction
In a word....disappointing. It was good enough to finish. but it took 2 or 3 weeks to get through. This is a good indication of my interest level, because really great books keep me up at night until I finish them. This one....not so much.

I didn't care for the style--half letters from Anne to Gilbert, and half third-person, with no good reason to switch back and forth between the two. There are a ton of new characters, but the sheer volume precludes any satisfying character development. Anne see
Celeste
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full (mini) review now posted!

I have a soft spot for epistolary novels. I love getting someone’s innermost thoughts in their own words. This book was a hybrid, half epistolary and half regular novel. But it’s all Anne Shirley in all of her glory, enjoying a new home and profession and conglomeration of interesting neighbors. If I had to choose one word to describe this novel, that would would be shenanigans. Seriously, Anne gets into so many uncomfortable, hilarious situations, and witnesses her
Britany
So far, this is my favorite Anne book in the series.

I fell head over heels listening to this book on audio. A cast of characters that exceeded any cast in the series so far (which is hard to believe-- I know). Anne goes to Summerside to be a principal while her betrothed Gilbert is in med school. The book is mostly comprised of letters to Gilbert about the goings-on in Summerside. Rebecca Dew might just be my absolute favorite character in the series so far. I just loved her and her snarky ways
E.F.B.
4.5 stars!

I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. Are they perfect? No. Are they very much enjoyable nevertheless? YES!

Things I liked:

I really loved Anne’s newfound maturity in this book. She’s still the young, imaginative, energetic, loving, enthusiastic Anne we know and love, but the life lessons she learned in the previous book have settled in and I really liked how grounded she was, and how secure in her engagement to Gilbert. Unlike in the previous book, there was never a time when I wanted to take her by
Naomi Sarah
So far, 'Anne of Windy Poplars' has to be my least favourite Anne book. This might change, because I did like it. Some bits I really liked. Some bits I found so boring I found myself taking a nap.

What I liked:
1. Windy Poplars. It sounds like such a beautiful place to live!!! Little hidey-holes and secret reading places?!!!! Yes Please. I'd love to live in Windy Poplars. (And the name is scrumptious.) (Did you know that it was originally called 'Anne of Windy WILLOWS?' They asked Montgomery
Audrey
Anne is finished at College and is now the Principal of Summerside High School. She writes to her beloved Gilbert who is continuing his education to become a medical doctor. Anne shares her experiences with the colorful and eccentric folks at Summerside. This is another charming story that will delight all readers.
MAP
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Please someone tell me if I'm crazy....Did Anne Shirley and a student named Lewis meet with a ghost, take a picture of him, and then when they found out he was a ghost, they took in total stride and gave the picture to his father?

Did that seriously happen in this book? Or did some of my pages have LSD on them?
Darcy
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Shirley is without a doubt my dearest fictional friend.
Jeanette
After reading Anne of the Island, my favorite book in the Anne series, Anne of Windy Poplars always seems to fall a little flat for me.
Anne and Gilbert are engaged and while Gilbert is off at medical school, Anne has taken a job as principal at Summerside High School.
Much of this book is made up of letters from Anne to Gilbert. I just wish there was more of Gilbert in this story like maybe some of his letters to Anne. L.M. Montgomery rarely wrote much from the hero's side in her books, something
Manisha
My love for Anne is boundless.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The format was different from the previous books, which helped greatly since Anne and Gilbert were separated during this novel.

Honestly, the highlight for every single novel in this series is Anne. Anne, who is unapologetically herself. Anne, who triumphs over adversity. Anne, who is good and kind.

Characters like her become fewer with each passing year. It's an awful thought, because we must all strive to be Anne Shirley
Ferdy
Didn't care about all the new characters, there were way too many of them and none of them stood out. They also felt pointless as it was obvious Anne would probably never hear or see from most of them again. The Summerside setting wasn't all that great either, it didn't match up to the homeyness of Green Gables/Avonlea. And when is Anne going to fully pursue her writing career? The teaching has been done to death.
Megan Baxter
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said before that Emily is my favourite Montgomery heroine, and that holds. But that doesn't mean I don't have a huge soft spot for Anne and her life. She is much more domestic in orientation, at least in every book after this one, and that has its appeal. Ordinary life is painted in such vivid and interesting colours that it leaps off the page, putting the lie to the idea that such things are beneath our proper notice.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goo
Gracelyn Buckner
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
4.5 Stars

I've been reading through the Anne series, but I decide to skip this one this time-again. Anne of Windy Poplars never interested me nearly as much as the other books, but once I finally read it, it was a really good book. Just not in the mood to read it this time.
Theresa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well...LMM does it again. Anne Shirley, once of Green Gables, has completely stolen my heart in her next adventure.

Now at Windy Poplars, Anne is older, wiser, and school principal. The book is told half through letters to Gilbert Blythe and half third person narration. My only problem with this was all the love letters were excluded, and I really missed Gilbert in this book. Once Anne's competition and own worst enemy is now the love of her life. I couldn't be happier about this, because I've be
Teri-K
It's been several decades since I read all of this series, so I decided this year was time for another visit to them all. I'm glad I did because I'm enjoying this book so much. Anne has graduated from college and grown up some along the way - but not enough to loose her fresh way of seeing things. She's teaching at, and is principal of, a High School on PEI, but it's an entirely new community for her and not everyone loves her at first. This book covers the three years Gilbert is in medical scho ...more
Leah
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Ok, I have loved all of the books in this series so far, however, this one was a little...how shall I say this - eh. That's what it was. Eh.

Anne writes lots of letters to Gilbert, but we never get to see any letters that Gil writes to her. Also, lots of new characters are introduced in this book and I wonder how on earth Anne is going to keep up with all these people.

Also, Anne has officially turned into the perfect person who changes the life of everyone she meets. Honestly, does this woman hav
Fatemeh Nazari
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1396
شايد شخصيتِ اصلى اين كتاب هر كسى جز آنه شرلى بود، مرا دلزده مى كرد. شخصيت هاى خاكسترى براى من محبوب ترند تا يك شخصيتِ كاملا سفيد و مثبت. اينجا آنه شرلى تقريبا به ٢٥ سالگى ميرسد و من واقعا نميدانم ٢٥ سالگيم چه شكلى خواهد بود؛بنابراين درك زيادى از آن سن ندارم.
حقيقتا دلم در اين كتاب براى آن اشتباهات و بدشانسى هاى آنه تنگ شد. بالاخره آدم در هر سنى هم كه باشد اشتباه مى كند.
اين ماجراهاى ريز ريز و بامزه ى كتاب دوست داشتنى بود.
شايد پنج ستاره نسبت به كتاب هاى قبلى براى اين كتاب زياد بود ولى راستش از دلم
Deborah Pickstone
Some people dislike this being written mainly as letters but I really enjoyed it. This has developed from a 'children's' book to HF, and well done at that, as well as a classic. Of course it wasn't HF at the time of writing!

I also saw questions raised over (view spoiler)
Nyx
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, saga
Pur collocandosi cronologicamente a metà della storia, Anne of Windy Poplars è il penultimo romanzo della serie, scritto dall'autrice nel 1936, ventun anni dopo Anne of the Island, il capitolo precedente, e diciannove anni dopo Anne's House of Dreams, quello successivo.

Si tratta di un romanzo di passaggio che contiene le lettere scritte da Anna al suo amato nell'arco dei tre anni che li vede separati e lontani da Avonlea, lei impegnata a ricoprire l'incarico di preside in un istituto di Summersi
Melika Khoshnezhad
در این کتاب، آنشرلی و گیلبرت از هم دور بودند. گیلبرت داشت درس میخوند تا دکتر شه و آنه مدیر دبیرستانی در سامرساید شده بود. ماجراهای این کتاب دربارهی آدمهاییه که در سامرساید زندگی میکنن و آنه باهاشون در ارتباطه. یه کمی حوصله سر بر بود و از اونجایی که ربط زیادی به شخصیتهای اصلی داستان نداشت دوستش نداشتم. مثلا با اینکه بخش زیادی از کتاب نامههای آنه به گیلبرت بود، اما توی این نامهها اصلا آنه از احساسات و تفکرات خودش نمینوشت فقط شرح وقایعی بود که در سامرساید اتفاق میافتادند. از ماریلا، دایانا و هیچ یک ...more
Elizabeth
As much as I enjoy the original Anne of Green Gables , this and Anne of the Island are probably my favorites in the series. Anne's grown up, still both stubborn and dreamy, and I find it easier to read her stories at this stage of her life than when she was a small child. For similar reasons, I'm not as fond of the later books in this series, where Anne becomes a flatter, duller character, and then eventually fades to the background, letting her children's stories come to the fore-front. This ...more
ade_reads
This is the fourth book in the Anne of Green Gables Series, and this is my 100th book for my Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge. Wuhuu 200%! Hehe...

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery is fun, sweet, enchanting read. Told mostly in letters from Anne to (my) Gilbert, hehe... It's a cute story that feels a bit random. I enjoyed the new characters and there are several hilarious scenes. The dinner scene with Cyrus's family was my favorite. A visit with Anne Shirley is always nice.

Favorite quote :
Arghavan
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
کسالتآور بود خیلی.
و سوال: چرا هر لفظ عاشقانهی آنی به گیلبرت رو سانسور کردهبودن؟ -_- «برایت بوسه میفرستم» رو تبدیل کردهبودن به «برایت ... میفرستم.» . همین رو تعمیم بدید به سایر بخشهای عاشقانهی کتاب. -_-
و این که اونقدر کاراکترها گذرا بودن که آدم نمیتونست بشناسدشون اصلاً. توی ذهن نمیموندن هیچکدوم؛ برخلاف کتابهای قبلی.
Play Book Tag: Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery 3 stars 1 10 Nov 05, 2017 10:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Anne of Windy Poplars 3 19 Jul 08, 2017 08:02AM
Play Book Tag: Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 11 Jun 10, 2017 02:38PM
Audiobooks: New Anne of green gables audio 1 39 May 04, 2017 10:32AM
Kindred Spirits: The famous Pringle Pound Cake!! 2 28 Mar 23, 2015 12:07PM
Anne of Green Gables 5 51 Mar 29, 2014 07:48AM
Books in order? 17 127 Mar 28, 2014 07:50AM
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • Under the Lilacs
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Just Patty
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Yellow Crocus
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“Gilbert, I'm afraid I'm scandalously in love with you.” 156 likes
“I hate to lend a book I love…it never seems quite the same when it comes back to me…” 121 likes