Start by marking “Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast” as Want to Read:
Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Wild Man Jack isn't easy to please. Especially when Mama Jane serves him the one dish that he detests. Each day his children ask what he'll do if it arrives at the table, and each day he comes up with an even more colorful response. Not until Friday do things get really out of hand. Philip Christian Stead's call and response text and intricate collage art bring food and ph ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Andrea
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Unusual story that wasn't terribly appealing after my first read through. Afterward, I found out this is a true story Philip Stead grew up with because it's about his Grandpa Jack.
Mandy McHenry
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Cute pictures. Could be a good jumping off point for kids who are picky eaters. But I was seriously bugged that the kids call their parents by their first names. Too weird.
Stacy
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very strange. At least the man made good on his promise!
Kellie Deruwe
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute cute book! I always love books by Phillip Christian Stead. His books are so fun and creative. This book is about a man named Wild Man Jack who cannot stand creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. Several people throughout the book ask Wild Man Jack what he will do if Mama cooks creamed tuna fish and peas on toast and he replies with something like "I'll scream and complain 'cause I hate it the most!" All of Jacks responses in the book are funny and will make you laugh.

I think I found this book
Nielson
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this fun, country-feel book, Wild Man Jack's least favorite dish is creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. All of his kids are wondering what he will do if Mama Jane makes it for him....and in the end he does all that he says he will and more! The intricate collage artwork in this book is so unique but it is incredible! For parents out there who have kids with phobias to food, you will LOVE this book!
Kelly
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I found this to be odd. Children would probably like it as much of the text repeats itself, so they could repeat along if one was reading this aloud. The title pulled me in - but the story well it was different.
Samantha
Wild Man Jack especially hates the dish creamed tuna fish and peas on toast so he makes a vow every day of the week explaining what he'd do if Mama Jane made that dish, and makes good on every promise.

I liked the mixed media artwork, but the story was just okay for me.

PreK-2.
Megan Marvel
What kind of story is this? And why are the kids always happy? And why doesn't his wife know it's the meal he hates the most after he's said it the whole week? And why does he do all those weird things? This book makes no sense.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the last few books this author has done so I was excited to go back and read this one when I found it. It feels smaller, like a first book, and he has definitely grown since this. Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it.
Martha
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
I love these illustrations!
Marisa
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-shelf
My daughter thought this book was really funny. The only thing I didn't like was the use of the word hate because it is a word I try to teach my children not to use.
Gail
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Did not appeal to my three year old.
Kelly
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the pictures blended into each other too much and they were too messy. But the story is silly and kind of fun. Good repetition, too.
Marina
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Odd story but cute illustrations.
Tracy
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can so identify with Wild Man Jack. I am not partial to any kind of creamed meat.
John
Mar 09, 2010 added it
Seemingly good read for K-2
Cathy
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read about a new book by this author and found this early book as only okay.
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
Apr 19, 2018
Toffer Lehnherr
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Philip C. Stead is the author of the Caldecott Medal winning book A Sick Day for Amos McGee, also named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of 2010 and a Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book of 2010, illustrated by his wife, Erin E. Stead. Together with Erin, he also created Bear Has a Story to Tell, an E.B. White Read-Aloud Award honor book. Philip, also an artist, has written and illustrate ...more