Start by marking “Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)

Awakening

(Lily Dale #1)

Just days after her mother’s sudden death in a freak accident, Calla is sent to spend the rest of the summer with her grandmother in Lily Dale, a mysterious town of psychics where nothing is really as it seems.  But to unlock the secrets behind her mother’s death, Calla must first accept her newfound gift.

The longer Calla stays, the stranger things become an

Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published June 9th 2009 by Walker Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.
Rachel Click on "My Books" at the top of the screen. On the left hand side where it says "Read", click that. Then this book should come up but if not, type t…moreClick on "My Books" at the top of the screen. On the left hand side where it says "Read", click that. Then this book should come up but if not, type the name of the book in "Search and add books". Once the book comes up, on the far right hand side is an X. Click on that and it will delete it from your list.
Hope that helps.(less)
Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorCarrie by Stephen KingPet Sematary by Stephen KingBaby Teeth by Zoje StageThe Shining by Stephen King
Creepy Kids
103 books — 64 voters
The Outsiders by S.E. HintonA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniTemple of a Thousand Faces by John ShorsRooftops of Tehran by Mahbod SerajiThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Best Titles
88 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)
I picked this book up because I live about an hour from Lily Dale and visit it as often as possible.

Staub definitely captures Lily Dale as I know and love it. It's such a quaint town as if you literally stepped back into the 1800's. Its not spooky or eerie there, but you can feel the energy of spirits.

This story is wonderful. At first I was a little put off by the narrative, I found the 3rd person narrative she uses to be a bit odd...but that's nothing that would detract from the story at all.

C
Shushan
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calla thought her boyfriend dumping her through text was the worst thing that could happen but, boy, was she she wrong. Two weeks after her breakup, she found her mother lying on the floor of her house, dead. Calla was then sent to live with her eccentric grandmother in her mother's hometown of Lily Dale. Shockingly, it turns out to be full of psychics (even her grandmother is one of them), and after that discovery, things get strange. Calla starts to get weird visions and starts to suspect that ...more
Susan
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed this young adult paranormal and look forward to the following stories in the series. I found the characters interesting, though since they lived in a psychic community where ghosts were aplenty, I found myself in a bit of Sixth Sense mode in that I wondered if the main character was talking with dead people all the time. That took away from the story a bit, but that was my fault to get that preconceived idea. Interesting setting for the story, too. Apparently based on a real community ...more
Alex
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel begins with the death of the protagonist’s mother. Calla Delaney’s mother dies in a freak accident in which she falls down the stairs and breaks her neck when she lands on the ceramic tile floor below. Calla has difficulty accepting her mother’s death because she claims that her mother was the most coordinated, graceful, sedate person on earth.
Only mouths before her mother’s death, Kevin, Calla’s boyfriend, sent her a text message ending their relationship.
After being dumped by he
Angela Almeida
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been curious about the paranormal, so much now that I'm not even scared of so called ghosts. Friday nights at home were all about ghost stories and shows, so when I first read the blurb having to do with this story it caught my attention and piqued my interest immediately and kept it throughout the story.

Lily Dale Awkwakening is written by New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub. She is an award-winning author who has over seventy published novels and who has sold more than three
Amy Jacobs
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
When I saw this book at a library sale, I thought the cover was kind of eerie and the summary sounded great. I haven't read any books by Wendy Corsi Staub, so this was a new to me author. I was pleasantly surprised by the book. The author had a writing style that was easy flowing and kept me interested until the end.

When Calla's Mother passes away, she starts seeing unusual things. Ghost are appearing to her, but she refuses to believe in them. After her Father moves to California for a job offe
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Execellent novel!!!

From dust jacket:

"Can Calla's newfound gift unlock her mother's hidden past in Lily Dale?

Calla thought that her boyfriend breaking up with her in a text message was the worst thing that could ever happen to her. But just two weeks later, her mother died in a freak accident, and life as she knew it was completely over. Suddenly, Calla is spending the end of the summer with the grandmother she barely knows in her mother's hometown of Lily Dale.

To her shock, the town is full of p
Allison Warkentien
Linda
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I first started to read this book I found the tense used in the book to be difficult to concentrate on and I mentally corrected every sentence in my mind. But then I became accustomed to it and got intrigued by the story line. Psychic stories always intrigue me and Lily Dale is a real place in upstate New York- a center for spiritualism. The story involves Calla, a teenage girl whose mother dies in a freak accident that leaves Calla wondering how it could ever have happened. Then she goes t ...more
Cathy Rodriguez
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book before, but I reread it because there is now more books in the series and at the moment I have all four of them. I enjoyed the book and the setting very much. The community of Lily Dale I find fascinating. I saw a documentary about the community earlier this summer. The thing I didn't like about the book is that it ends on the major climax of the book so that you have to read the next book. I think this is a shameless ploy of authors so that you have to read the next book. I ...more
Melissa
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book was really interesting. It wasn't very long and seems like more of an introduction to the main character Calla. A lot of info and not a lot of action but it leaves you wanting more.In a good way. The characters relationships are gripping right of the bat.I can't wait to read the next one.
Michele J
Sep 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Dottie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i really tried to read this. i wanted to enjoy it since i like paranormal stories. but i found this so boring that every time i put it down, it took effort to read more later. finally i gave up.

it was as if the main character was downright stupid. it took her forever to figure things out, to the point that i wanted to scream at her, "your grandmother is psychic, you dope!"

Justin Maupin
The main Characters Calla, her dad, her mom, her grandmother, and her friends. It about her mom pasting away and she has to go to her grandmas house for the rest of the summer. There she finds out that she has special ability's. I liked it because it is a horror story and you just couldn't wait till you found out what happened next.
Kricket
Mar 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, abandoned
picked this up at work to see if i should get the second two in the series. the main character is so bland i could hardly even identify her as a teenager. yawn yawn yawn.
Jillian
This book was so boring and weird that I just had to stop reading it. Enough said.
Rachael
I loved this book. It kept me intrigued the whole time I was reading it. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series!
Monica Neth
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chrisinny
I debated in writing this review tell the really good part first or the really bad? I opted to go with the positive. A teen paranormal suspense series does not sound like my kind of title. However, I was engrossed by the story and the writing- even staying up late to finish (and regretting it the next day at work). The book takes place primarily in Lily Dale, a real place in upstate NY that is the home of spiritualism. After Calla’s mother dies, she ends up in Lily Dale with her grandmother whil ...more
Audra
Lynn
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Calla's mother dies, she goes to live with her grandmother in the town of Lily Dale. Calla doesn't understand the strange people who inhabit Lily Dale until her grandmother confesses that Lily Dale is the home of psychics and other mystics and that she is one of them. Calla thinks her grandmother has gone off the deep end until strange things begin to happen. Calla starts to wonder if she might be psychic just like her grandmother. She begins to question the life she lived with her mother a ...more
Nicole
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting to read about Lily Dale--a real place, unlike, let's say, Forks, WA. Speaking of Forks, here there also is a passive heroine, Calla (close enough to Bella), with two allegedly hot and enigmatic guys of interest. One is even Native American. The other could totally be a vampire. He's very rich and drives a BMW. (Didn't Edward drive a convertible?)

The book didn't feel like a cliffhanger, it just felt unfinished. I have to remind myself I'm on a different book now, that this one ac
Monica Tolva
Call thought her boyfriend breaking up with her in a text message was the worst thing that could ever happen to her. But just two weeks later, her mother died in a freak accident, and life as she knew it was completely over. Suddenly Calla is spending the end of the summer with the grandmother she barely knows in her mother's hometown of Lily Dale.

To her shock, the town is full of psychics, including her grandmother.

Read p. 6: "Do you think it will snow while I am here…"
Just is shocking is the f
Vintagebooklvr
3 1/2. An interesting view of a real town filled with psychics and the writer deftly creates a good paranormal suspense novel for young adults. This is a slow build and while not a real cliff hanger it is obvious that this story line is not finished.

Calla's emotional ups and downs are realistic for a young woman who has recently lost her mother, is separated from her dad, and confronting an ability that would throw anyone's life for a loop. The author's polish as a writer is obvious from the fl
Ariadne Deborah Fassel
I will readily admit that I am a sucker for this type of book and always have been. I am quite familiar with that part of New York State, and I once met a woman from Lily Dale; she visited our house when I was a teen.

I found myself immersed in the story and the people. Nothing in the writing-style irritated me and jarred me out of the moment. I need to find the rest of the books in the series. This one was a chance find in a second-hand bookstore, but is anything really by chance?
Darlene
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
It’s an easy read and I couldn’t put it down. I am familiar with the setting and enjoyed revisiting Lily Dale. My grandparents took me there as a child and I have returned as an adult. The story line is a mystery with the main character trying to figure out her gift of “seeing” and also of a recent girl’s disappearance and the accident/murder of her mom. I love stories with an eccentric unpredictable grandma and this doesn’t disappoint. A really good read, very enjoyable.
Deb Pines
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fun paranormal YA mystery

I’m generally no fan of paranormal stories. But this tale of a teen discovering the fascinating real-world Spiritualist community of Lily Dale, in western NY, and her own powers is very satisfying. I read it in one day. Calla, the young hero, and her supporting cast are well-drawn. The writing is smooth. The pacing outstanding.
Robin McCann
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book like the Saranormal series but with a high school narrator. Nothing keeping it in YA for this book. Need to see what the rest of the series is like to know if we want to move it out of YA. Narrator’s, Calla, mother dies and Calla goes to like with her grandma in Lily Dale. Calla knows nothing of mediums or Lily Dale. Learns she has abilities also.
Joyce Himmel
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lilly Dale is acommunity in Ohio of mediums. Calle's mom dies so she goes to live with her Grandmom in Lilly Dale. Little does she know her family history is full of mediums. Her father never knew and her mother never talked about it. How will she handle her new talent? Great read. Looking forward to more "Believers".
Lisa Corbin
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than the fact this was written in present tense, I quite enjoyed it! I've been fascinated with Lily Dale for many years and I love that the author had actually been there! It's a great story with ghosts and mysteries...I just really liked it. I've already checked out book 2 in the series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Execution Dock (William Monk, #16)
  • Envy (Empty Coffin, #1)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Visual Companion
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion
  • Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection
  • Where She Went: by Gayle Forman (If I Stay, Book 2) | Summary & Analysis
  • The Inkblots: Hermann Rorschach, His Iconic Test, and the Power of Seeing
  • The Man Who Shocked The World: The Life And Legacy Of Stanley Milgram
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Movie Guide
  • The Stolen Letter (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • Murder in the Storybook Cottage (Book Retreat Mysteries #6)
  • Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #23)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)
  • Betrayal (Empty Coffin, #2)
New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than ninety novels, best known for the single title psychological suspense novels she writes under her own name. Those books and the women's fiction she writes under the pseudonym Wendy Markham have also appeared on the USA Today, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Bookscan bestseller lists.

LITTLE GIRL LOST (July, William M

Lily Dale (8 books)
  • In The Blink Of An Eye
  • Believing (Lily Dale, #2)
  • Connecting (Lily Dale, #3)
  • Discovering (Lily Dale #4)
  • Nine Lives (Lily Dale Mystery, #1  - Lily Dale, #5)
  • Something Buried, Something Blue (Lily Dale Mystery, #2) (Lily Dale, #6)
  • Dead of Winter (Lily Dale Mystery, #3 & Lily Dale, #7)

News & Interviews

“We cry coming into the world, as everyone around us laughs with joy. And we laugh with joy leaving this world, when everyone around us cries.” 34 likes
“We cry coming into the world, as everyone around us laughs with joy. And we laugh with joy leaving the world, when everyone around us cries. Stephanie” 0 likes