Start by marking “Forever Friends” as Want to Read:
Forever Friends

Forever Friends

Seasons come, seasons go. But a little brown bunny and a graceful blue bird discover that friendship, true friendship, lasts forever.
Published March 2nd 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Friends

KC
Bluebird and Rabbit are best friends but when winter approaches, Bluebird must migrate south and rabbit finds himself alone.
Kathryn
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the little blue bird and the little brown bunny and how they became best friends one spring. All through the spring, summer and fall they played together. But when winter comes, the bird has to fly south. The bird and bunny miss one another--but come spring, bird returns and he and bunny remain forever friends.

The story itself is nothing original either in concept or telling, but the illustrations are stars! Carin Berger does amazing things with her cut-paper collages. I wis
Kelly
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is about friendship. What I liked the most about it is that it uses very few words but gets the point across easily. Nice illustrations.
Erin
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a sweet animal friends story. I love the illustrations too, they are bold and effective.
Angie Munoz
Great book to teach children about friendship. Nice illustrations!
Lydia
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Holly
My favorite picture book of the year so far. This simple, sweet story about two friends who have to separate (the bird has to fly south in the winter, and promises the bunny she'll be back in the spring) put a lump in my throat. The collage effect of the illustrations is unique (using bits of advertising and other printed paper to make foliage, or the edge of a hollowed-out log, for example). And the body language of the bunny and bird when they are apart just kills me--e.g., the bunny hunched o ...more
Violet Lewis
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, seasons
Forever friends is an excellent book about friendship. It teaches many concepts including, patience and how people that are different can still be friends. This book can also be used to teach children about the months of the year and seasons as well as position words. Forever friends can also be used to teach children about different animal habitats.

Learning activity: LD5j Children will identify information and events to real-life experiences.

I will have the children choose a partner/friend that
Casey Anderson
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, feelings
This is a wonderful book to teach children about friendship. It shows children that even though the bird and the bunny were different, they could still be close friends. It would also be a good book for children who may have to change schools and leave behing a good friend, by showing them that they may see their friend again.

Activity extension: Instruct children that for a day they will find a "buddy" that they wouldn't usually be friends with, and they would be with their buddy all day includi
Jess Brown
Carin Berger's Forever Friends is absolutely adorable! The text is nice and simple, but what's most impressive are the illustrations made from cut paper using old catalogs, books, receipts, letters, and ticket stubs (according to the write-up about Berger). You can see pops of odd bits here and there throughout the book. What struck me was how sad the bunny truly was when the bird went away for winter. I can see a lot of usefulness for teachers. The book nicely shows friendship, the seasons chan ...more
Linda
Carin Berger’s collages in this book will fill anyone with pleasure. It’s an almost wordless picture book showing the joy of friendship between a bluebird and a bunny throughout a year, and the sadness when the bluebird has to leave for a while, to migrate south. Each page is a wonder, but I’d love to see the original of the double page spread for summer play, joyful and full of fireflies! I imagine sharing this with young students and seeing if they can find their own story to tell through pict ...more
Karina
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
In the book "Forever Friends" a little blue bird and bunny become the best of friends after meeting one day. They enjoy spending every day together playing and laughing until the bird has to go and fly south when winter is near. The friendship between the two animals is put to the test as the seasons go by. Finally, springtime comes again and the bird returns to his best friend. This book has great illustrations and an easy-to-follow story with strong vocabulary. Readers can learn about seasonal ...more
Kelly
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
picture book with a really beautiful collage format with found materials (definitely part of a j crew catalog) that is visually engaging with a simple and sweet story. a bunny and bird become friends and have to deal with separation and loneliness when the bird flies south for winter, but don't worry, happy ending.

great use of line to convey time and movement and color for mirroring mood/emotion.
Sara
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The text isn't mind-blowing, but I always like to have my third story time book for preschool be one that's kind of short and sweet. This one fits the bill -- cute story about remaining friends even though one is far away -- but the art is SO LOVELY and simple. I am becoming quite a fan of simple, clear paper-cut art for story time, and I love that some of the paper retains the words from the paper's original use. I'll try it out and see how it goes :)
Madeline Natzke
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, seasons
I absolutely fell in love with this book when I read it. A bunny and a bird become best friends. When the seasons change, they have to drift apart. At the very end the reunite. (Hint: Forever Friends) This is a great book to talk to your class about friendship. I could also use this book to discuss the seasons and how they change.

Extension: Read the book outside to your class. Discuss the current weather. Have them talk about what season it is now, and what comes next.
Sae Heo
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: season, friendship
This book "Forever Friends" show friendship and season. If children read this book, they would learn four seasons and friends through this book. Children exhibit egocentrism, so this book very helpful to children.

Extension: Teacher show the pictures of four seasons in classroom. They discuss what are some activities with friends each season. Also, teacher teach how much important friendship in their lives.
John Wyszniewski
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Berger's previous work "The Yellow Little Leaf" is one of my favorite children's books of all time, so my hopes for this book were incredibly high, perhaps too high. Sadly the book falls short. Berger is attempting a sequel of sorts in "Forever Friends." the story is touching, however the illustrations do not have as many rich details. The work feels a little rushed, as if the publisher wanted Berger to capatalize on her recent success. I would still recommend the book.
Jessica Wenninger
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the plot of this book because it showed two animals that are not normally associated becoming friends. I think children will read this book and gain hope from it because they will know that if a bunny and a bird can become friends, dissimilar people can too. I found it interesting that the pictures were cut and pasted as a collage would have been.
Luz
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship
This book is great to teach season changes, habitad, patience, friendship. Also even went your are friends are far away thay still your friends.The pictures are simplistic.

Extencion:

Write a letter to a friend it can be in town, in the class room or far away. Also a grandparent they love letters from their grandkids.
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice compare and contrast to Mo Willems' City Dog, Country Frog or How Rocket Learned to Read.
Inna Nako
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade 2, Seasonal changes, Life cycle of a tree

-love the illustrations, very creative
-great book to introduce all four seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter
-can be used to have kids make their own illustrations of the seasons
-learn different physical changes about the seasons, as well as why birds have to migrate (like in the story)
Kristen
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Sweet and simple. The bird and the bunny are friends all spring and summer. The bird has to leave in the winter, but when bird returns, they are still, forever, friends. Pretty basic, but I love the collage art.
Loren
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have Spring Fever for this really spoke to me ... I enjoyed the color scheme (totally my colors) and I like the message of friendship and playfulness. It does a great job with the topic of seasons (migration sp?) but the illustrations would be hard to share @ storytime.
The Library Lady
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely art with an old fashioned tone to it that may not appeal to the Dora the Explorer crowd. Nice simple story, but somehow my saccharine meter is beeping and I just can't love this, though I'm sure many of my patrons will.
Mary
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
A sweet, predictable story about friendship. What makes this book (for me) are the collage-type illustrations. I love all the bits and pieces that the illustrator used to put it all together. It reminds me of an altered book.
Nina
This simple but beautiful collage illustrated book is poignant and fresh. The language is simple and poignant, much like the illustrates. Well stylized and can be used for nature, migration, changing seasons and friendship themes.
Rachel
A blue bird and a little brown bunny become friends and play all through spring, summer, and early fall. But by late fall the blue bird must fly away to where it is warm, but promises to come back. After being lonely and missing each other all winter, they are reunited and become forever friends.
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time-pick
The story is very cute with a Spring Theme but I used this book as part of an Earth Day porgram. The illustrations are cut paper made from old catalogs, receipts, ticket studs and recycled paper. The art work is exquisite!
Donna
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. I loved the graph paper, the lines and the color. The story was nice too. It reminded me somewhat of City Dog, Country Frog. Friendship factor good.
Christine Turner
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birds, bunny, spring
In the spring, a blue bird awakens a rabbit and invites him to play, and they enjoy every day together until it is time for the bird to fly south for the winter, with a promise to return again next spring. www.hcpl.net
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • The Thingamabob
  • Henry in Love
  • Please Take Me for a Walk
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • The Boys
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Farm
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Spring Is Here
  • Little Black Crow
Carin Berger is an award-winning designer and illustrator. She is the creator of Not So True Stories & Unreasonable Rhymes and All Mixed Up, and the illustrator of Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant, by Jack Prelutsky. She won the Society of Illustrators Founder's Award in 2006, and Publishers Weekly called her "one to watch." Carin Berger lives with her family in New York City.